Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips (1909 Views)

Got A Good Job After Years Of Trying / Wow Job After A Big Disapointment. / How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Desired Job After Graduation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by Betasms: 9:42am On Jan 30, 2015
1. Stay Positive

Don’t be upset or surprised if you don’t have a job by graduation day. It is important to stay positive and continue your search. One way to maintain a positive frame of mind is to remind yourself how far you have come already – just like the challenges you faced in school, you will overcome being unemployed. And remember, it’s important to set aside at least an hour each day to do something you really enjoy. Take a jog, read a book, or spend time with your friends and family. This can go a long way to help you maintain a positive attitude, which could be the very thing that lands you a job.

2. Reduce Your Cost of Living

If you don’t have an income, you need to reduce your expenses. And since you don’t know the duration of your unemployment, start eliminating expenses quickly to avoid depleting your savings and building up debt.
Put Yourself on a Budget. One of the best ways to save money is to conserve it by implementing a personal budget. Determine the amount of money you have and how much you can spend each month for a specified period of time (perhaps one year). Then, limit your spending to that amount of money per month. Consider putting away your credit cards and using the envelope budgeting system if you tend to over-spend.

3. Spend Time Networking

Professional networking can really pay off during a job search. Often, it’s not what you know, but who you know.
Here are some good places to network:

Conferences. You can meet many people by attending a conference for your profession or industry. Individual conferences are typically held once per year, and can be held anywhere in the country. The cost to attend these events is often high, but if you leave the conference with some job leads, it could make it worth every penny.
Job Shadowing Opportunities. You can get a taste of a day in the life of a working professional by job shadowing. Even if the company for which you shadow does not have a current opening, they may remember you when they do have one. Check for job-shadowing opportunities with your college or local chamber of commerce.

4. Consider Going Back to School

This may not be ideal if you’ve been looking forward to working. However, if you were planning to eventually earn another degree, it might be best to simply get it out of the way, during which time the economy can recover.
On the flip side, if you were not planning to get another degree, don’t jump into a costly academic program out of frustration. As you know, earning a degree takes a lot of time, money, energy, and determination, and it’s not worth doing just to have something to do.

5. Keep Yourself Busy

While looking for a job is often a full-time job in and of itself, don’t put your life on hold because of it. Pick up part-time work at a temp agency, pursue your hobbies, or learn something new. You may even want get additional training or licenses to benefit your career.

6. Broaden Your Job Search

It took me seven months from the time I graduated to start my first job. I later realized that I had kept my job search too narrow by looking in a limited area, within only certain industries, and for one that required minimal travel. Had I been more open, I believe I would have found a job much more quickly.
Consider broadening your search to find a job quicker and especially if you’ve been looking for several months. Open yourself up to more locations, industries, career types, and entry-level positions, even if you qualify for a higher level job. Focus on getting your foot in the door, and try not to be too idealistic.

7. Build Your Skills

Every time you interview and are overlooked for the job, ask the interviewer what skills they recommend you improve. If you struggled answering the interview questions, ask a friend or family member to help you do mock interviews. This will also improve your confidence.

8. Volunteer or Work for Free

In some industries, it is common for a recent hire to work an unpaid internship before becoming a paid employee. If you are unable to find a paid job, consider this option as a way to gain experience and network. You could have yourself a paid job before you know it.
Another option is to volunteer for an organization and these organizations require a commitment.
9. Start a Business

If the corporate world isn’t working out for you, take matters into your own hands by starting a business. Focus on an area in which you have a great deal of knowledge – for instance, if you are good with computers, a repair shop may be the perfect business to run out of your house. Consulting companies are also low-risk endeavors that require little start-up capital.

10. Start a Blog or Website

If you have a passion that you would like to share with the world, write about it and see where it goes. For instance, healthy cooking, personal finance, sports, couponing, and new technology are all popular topics online. It will take work and dedication to develop your blog, and it will take patience and smart social media marketing to build up a readership – but over time, you could find yourself with a dedicated following and a solid source of income.

You can put all this off and live a life of safety and boringness. Or you can start today, and see what life has to offer you.

Lastly, what do you do when your parents and teachers pressure you to figure things out? Tell them you’re going to be an entrepreneur, start your own business, and take over the world. If you prepare for that, you’ll actually be prepared for any career.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by buccal(m): 10:34am On Jan 30, 2015
Summary: no matter what.DON'T STAY IDLE

4 Likes

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by morhsuud22(m): 10:57am On Jan 30, 2015
The season of 10's

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by psyqs(m): 12:38pm On Jan 30, 2015
very correct, an idle mind is a devil's workshop they say

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by Dreament(m): 12:48pm On Jan 30, 2015
Rubbish, i thought u want to tell us how to acquire loan or get finacial assistance to start up. Abi u no knoew say some job seekers no dey even get money for t fare to all these comfrences talkless of buyiny laptop for domain hosting wateva u called it

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by Betasms: 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Dreament:
Rubbish, i thought u want to tell us how acquire loan or get finacial assistance to start up.

Lmao, why so pained, you be calm tongue

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by 9jamentors: 2:19pm On Jan 30, 2015
A MEDIA-IcT organization that is base in Okota, Lagos is looking for the service of an experienced graphic designer

CONDITION:

>>>Must be Proficient in Coreldraw or Photoshops

>>>Must live around Okota,Ijesha,Itire area of LAGOS.

>>Must not be above 25 years of age

>>Must be ready to go extra mile for his job

Salary is attractive..

Any interested candidates SHOULD contact Mr William on 08137615238..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by iykepromotions: 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2015
buccal:
Summary: no matter what.DON'T STAY IDLE
No better way of summarising it than this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by wisolf(m): 4:23pm On Jan 30, 2015
Pray too

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by reachnaija: 4:39pm On Jan 30, 2015
I need serious bloggers - experienced, fun and professional - 0806 874 7333 / 0902 865 3466
Re: What To Do If You Can’t Find A Job After Graduation – 10 Tips by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2015
Good one.

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Interpreter Required Urgently / Interswitch Ongoing Recruitment / Management Trainee From Media Fuse Dentsu Aegis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.