Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,432 members, 7,864,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:53 AM

Java, Php Or What? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Java, Php Or What? (750 Views)

Use Artisteer To Design Your Own Website Or Blog Theme No Php Or Css Code. / Php Or Html Code For Click Counter Needed Urgently / Learn Java, Php,dynamic Website Design With Dhtml, Css, Flash, Fireworks, Swish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java, Php Or What? by Afam4eva(m): 1:20am On Dec 29, 2008
I want to know the computer program to run, i'm interested in web development, but i don't know which particular course to go for, because i hear of Java, PHP,VB.net, c## and lots more.Right now i registered for oracle without knowing what it's all about, untill i found out it was about Database. Pls can someone advice me on which course to pursue.I currently design websites with HTML and Macromedia studio, so i want a course that i can use to improve the functionality of a site.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by OmniPotens(m): 1:10pm On Dec 29, 2008
If you've mastered HTML which includes XHTML and CSS then you'll need to get some good learning curves around JavaScript too. Next on your mind should be a Server side scripting language like PHP, ASP, JSP, etc.

Just check out for other available options out there. Just felt I should comment here because almost all newbies into programming are asking the same question as this.

Happy Learning!
Re: Java, Php Or What? by yawatide(f): 3:41pm On Dec 29, 2008
If you are in Nigeria, you might as well go for the programming language du jour - PHP. It only makes sense.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by MT: 1:54pm On Dec 30, 2008
@ yawa-tide,

I am confused as to why you recommended PHP to the guy simply[b] because he's in Nigeria[/b]. I dont seem to get a good grasp of that statement.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by yawatide(f): 3:28pm On Dec 30, 2008
Here is my rationale, albeit I stand corrected:

1)
I want to know the computer program to run, i'm interested in web development,

That right there tells me he doesn't want to do software development. That weeds out Java and languages similar to it.

2) If you check for instance alexa.com for nigerian websites based in nigeria, you will see that 99.9% of them are written (even if it is really HTML) in PHP.

3) I like to use NL as a benchmark for web dev in Nigeria and based on the posts that I have read thus far, those that have to do with websites are 99% PHP/MySQL.

4) Prior to joining NL, I didn't know a lick of PHP (I come from a JSP background) but decided to learn it, again, based on posts here on NL. Why? Because it seems PHP, being open source, is what most web dev ppl in Nigeria are into and I wanted to speak in their language, so to speak.

Based on the above, I recommended PHP to the poster. Make sense?
Re: Java, Php Or What? by Afam4eva(m): 5:39pm On Dec 30, 2008
I'll like to learn JAVA, because i heard it can be used for programming which encompasses Web Development, but i'll also like PHP, because i'm into Internet business and i see that most of the online forms i see where coded with PHP and i can't affford to pay those websites who ask for money for autoresponder.
I also want to know if there's any course such as PHP, or can one learn web development as a whole.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by yawatide(f): 6:00pm On Dec 30, 2008
u can try www.w3schools.com for a crash course in just about anything you want to learn. After you finish with that, you can then google for more in-depth tutorials.

Good luck!
Re: Java, Php Or What? by Afam4eva(m): 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2008
Thanks YAWA-TI-DE,
       I just checked out w3schools.com, it's a nice e-learning site, they just make it Lucid for a beginner.
I'll just take the courses one at a time.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 30, 2008
@post, better listen to yawa and go and learn php & mysql. I come a java/c/vb background before starting web development, it is a personal opinion really, i have used so many programming languages but i find out that php & mysql are the fastest for beginners to grasp and start doing serious job.
I am fairly good with vb/vc/asp.net but for web development, my favorite lang is php & mysql it is very easy to learn and has similar functionalities to asp.net. And lemme tell u this one : i was one of those that rushed off to go and learn java because it can work everywhere, and i can remember clearly some years ago, before startin web development, i could build nice java applets, i was already dreaming of stuffs i will do with applets online, for where? i don throw all them apples away - a precious waste of time. No offence to java programmers (afterall i was one).
And again, you must know that java get many versions, so dont think you will just learn one, and you will be master of all - when i was programming java then, there was J2EE, J2SE and J2ME [Mobile Edition], so if u can write a java program on windows, dont think u can just package it off to linux, windows mobile, unix, and internet just like that - it is not as simple as that.
Anyway just follow your heart - whatever it says.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by MT: 2:46pm On Dec 31, 2008
@yawatide,

Thanks for yur explanation. It makes whole lot of sense.
Re: Java, Php Or What? by Afam4eva(m): 6:39pm On Dec 31, 2008
I actually did SQL, is there any difference between SQL and MYSQL
Re: Java, Php Or What? by yawatide(f): 7:13pm On Dec 31, 2008
Yes, hence the "MY" in "MYSQL" wink

It's not that much sha. SQL is the standard while MYSQL (along with others like MSSQL, etc) is proprietary. I bet www.w3schools.com and/or google have a thing or 2 to say about it cool
Re: Java, Php Or What? by OmniPotens(m): 8:20pm On Dec 31, 2008
So many questions being asked here have their answers are readily available on www.w3schools.com. What needs to be done is for those worried about what languages to embark on, is for them to simply visit w3school's website and have an insight into what the languages entails and more info about them. They can also ask google for more answers.

(1) (Reply)

Web Hosting / Webmaster Needed For An Article Website / Please Review This Web Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.