Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,488 members, 7,830,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) (2149 Views)

13 Things You’ll Find In Every Nigerian Bathroom (In Picture) / 15 Pictures You’ll Recognize If You’ve Ever Stepped Into A Nigerian Kitchen / 15 Struggles you’ll Understand If you’re Of “marriageable Age” In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:24am On Feb 02, 2015
“Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that…And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could.” – Louise Erdrich

To experience the full spectrum of life, to taste all of the apples, we have to face our fears. Fear is an emotion that we’re all familiar with. For some of us, it’s a constant companion, creeping around every corner we turn. While it can save us from entering a dangerous situation on the one hand, it can prevent us from pursuing a life changing opportunity on the other. Fear can keep us from applying for our dream job, boarding an airplane, falling in love, and worst of all, from fulfilling our true and highest purpose. One thing is for certain, the more power we give fear, the more it lords over us, calling all the shots and robbing us of
peace.

But facing our fears is the quickest way to squelch them. And sometimes in life, that which we fear most happens. Regardless of whether we want to face these fears, we have to. Here, I list 10 fears that you’ll inevitably have to face (some you likely already have) and explain to you why you are better equipped and more fearless than you may now believe.

1. You will lose someone you can’t live without:
It will feel as though your world is crashing down on top of you. You will wonder how you can possibly go on. And the bad news is, you won’t really. Not that version of you anyhow. When you lose someone who means the world to you, you never really get over that loss. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your
shattered heart. And one day, you realize that it is the very holes and cracks they’ve left you with, that allow your light to shine through.

2. You will be utterly and completely alone:
For the first part of our lives, most of us are seduced
by the idea that we are not alone, because there are people all around us. But some time in your late twenties or early thirties the reality hits you: you’re completely and utterly alone. Unlike childhood, when everyone appears to be revolving their lives around you, adulthood proves that everyone is looking out for their own best interest. And you have to do the same. At once, you feel the sting of loneliness and the
freedom of solitude. In general, aloneness seems to be feared and avoided; yet every great spiritual teacher has attested to its importance. And the true beauty is that "We’re all alone in our aloneness". Once we can grasp this concept, we may just find that life’s not so lonely after all.

3. Be betrayed by someone close to you:
People will disappoint you. Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s part of what unites us. But the trick is to not let that experience
destroy our trust in people. We can’t let them take that from us, too. People will always be our greatest assets and our greatest liabilities. The great challenge is to keep caring for them no matter what.

4. Give up a dream:
When we’re young, the world is our playground and the sky is the limit. We come out of college wanting to change the world, to get married, and have kids. But we get into the middle and discover it’s harder than we thought. People move away, addictions are formed, and opportunities are lost. And amidst it all, we
change. For most of us, that means our dreams change too. It can be one of the hardest and scariest things in the world to give up on a dream. Though perhaps we should reframe this notion as not one of giving up, but of letting go. Letting go of an idea that you’ve held of how your life would be by this point in time, and embracing with gratitude all that your life is.

5. Lose total control:
The truth is, most of our lives are out of our control. Yet somehow, the majority of us live with this sort of mirage that we are behind the steering wheel. We make plans, and then feel disappointed when they don’t happen. We expect things from people that they don’t do or can’t give. No matter how hard we try, we simply can’t control everything. At some point, it hits us all. A period of complete and total loss of control. Like a fast, downward spiral-shaped roller coaster that you can’t remember ever boarding. It’s scary, but it happens to all of us. And it’s our choice whether we scream with terror or simply let go to appreciate the ride, or both.

6. You’ll screw up:
You’ll hurt someone you never meant to. You’ll fail a test you thought you’d pass. You’ll forget to send that all-important email that you promised to your boss. Stuff happens. And you’re not perfect. None of us are. We have to accept the fact that we’re going to make mistakes. And we have to forgive ourselves when we do. It is only when we stop expecting ourselves and
others to be perfect, that we can love everyone for who they are.

7. You’ll fail:
If screwing up is scary, than failing is terrifying. But perhaps a more accurate depiction of this fear is that we lose. On top of our own internal and deeply rooted competitive drive, our culture is so win win win, that when we do lose, we feel like we’ve failed. But how terribly wrong we are! A loss is not a failure. A loss means you’ve tried for something! Sadly, some people are so scared of failing, that they instead choose to not try at all. But if we don’t take risks, then we can’t
succeed. And the only true failure is not trying. Besides, when you lose, scary as it might seem, you find another part of yourself.

8. Suffer a crushing heartbreak:
This fear encompasses, and yet at the same time is distinct from, all the others on this list. For example, if you’re going through a heart-wrenching breakup, in many ways, you’re facing a death and failure- the death and failure of that relationship. Yet again, this is something we all must go through. In order to find ourselves, we must first lose ourselves. It takes a heart that’s been broken, to experience real compassion. And although in the wake of heart break, it may feel like we’re standing deep in a forest with no way out, we can find hope in the knowledge that someone else has stood in our exact spot, and has since moved on.

9. You’ll disappoint people and likely face a lot of criticism on the way:
I think it’s our nature to want to please. As children, we learn our worth by seeing how often (or not) we can please those around us. But as the years pass and we begin to pursue our own goals and plans, we learn that we can’t please everybody. We disappoint people on a regular basis and if we’re truly doing something
extraordinary, than we face a lot of criticism along the way. But take it from Donald Rumsfeld who said it best, “If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much.

10. Life will throw a wrench in your plans:
They say if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your
plans. And it’s true. No matter how immaculate your organization or detailed your schemes, things usually won’t go as you expect. There is only so much for which we can plan. So we take life as it comes, one day at a time, with hope. We remain as prepared and proactive as we can, then relinquish our control. In this life, the only thing we should ever be expecting is the unexpected.

Congratulations. If you’ve already faced a number of the fears on this list, than you are ahead of the game. You’ve experienced the lows of life and you’ve come out on top. You’re living life to the fullest, though it may not always feel that way. You’re skating across the peaks, and trudging on through the valleys. It’s what life is all about! And for this, you’re braver than you believe and stronger than you think. Your character runs deep and you are better equipped than most to handle life’s continued challenges. Be grateful for your hardships that have made you who you are
today.

In the words of Marianne Williamson, “Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here.”

Fears cease to be fears once we face them. Even if we don’t want to face them, often we have no choice. But the key, I’ve learned, to facing trials and tribulations, yet still managing to come out on top, is acceptance and faith. Accepting our reality at any given moment, no matter how scary it may seem. Let's have faith in ourselves and others.

The reality is that difficulties seldom defeat people, but lack of faith in themselves usually does. Ultimately, faith is what gives us the courage to face our fears, knowing in the end, and no matter what, we will be okay.

I hope u enjoy it?

[url=themindunleashed.org/2014/12/10-fears-youll-inevitably-face-likely-already.html] CREDIT TO[/url]

3 Likes

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by elantraceey(f): 12:26am On Feb 02, 2015
sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 02, 2015
See dis badbelle. Everythn u listed here wil happen to u

2 Likes

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by blackjack21(m): 12:30am On Feb 02, 2015
4 and 5.

That number. Am not scare of loneliness a bit. I hate company, especially of moronic people.
I dream of retiring, to live on an island or in a mountain house.

Number six; I have been screwing people all my life.
The ability to screw people is required for my kind of job. It is really fun. grin

3 Likes

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:33am On Feb 02, 2015
Cutehector4u:
See dis badbelle. Everythn u listed here wil happen to u

U must be the greatest liar in history if non of the point discussed above has happened to u!

But all in all, am not afraid. Cos am ready to face Dem all, conquer all and be fearless! wink

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Iolite(f): 12:33am On Feb 02, 2015
Hmmm! sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:35am On Feb 02, 2015
Iolite:
Hmmm! sad

What's smelling?
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:36am On Feb 02, 2015
blackjack21:
4 and 5.

What happened to them?
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Babe2sure(f): 12:37am On Feb 02, 2015
Sad truth about life!
The spiritual supercedes the physical and ultimately controls it. We have no power over it.
Life is not a fairytale, that we dreamt of when we were young.
Life happens. *sighs*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:39am On Feb 02, 2015
Babe2sure:
Sad truth about life!
The spiritual supercedes the physical and ultimately controls it. We have no power over it.
Life happens. *sighs*

How inevitably some fears can be in life! **sighs**
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Ezibless: 12:43am On Feb 02, 2015
Number 3 though.
#SoPainful.

I now know how Jesus felt after he recieved that kiss from Judas.

Sometimes it's better to trust your enemies than some ''friends'' embarassed

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:48am On Feb 02, 2015
blackjack21:
4 and 5.

That number. Am not scare of loneliness a bit. I hate company, especially of moronic people.
I dream of retiring, to live on an island or in a mountain house.

Number six; I have been screwing people all my life.
The ability to screw people is required for my kind of job. It is really fun. grin

Keep screwing. Just don't complain if u got screwed!
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by blackjack21(m): 12:50am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

What happened to them?

They are my greatest fears. Especially CONTROL. My life and ambitions revolve around it.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:52am On Feb 02, 2015
Ezibless:
Number 3 though.
#SoPainful.

I now know how Jesus felt after he recieved that kiss from Judas.

Sometimes it's better to trust your enemies than some ''friends'' embarassed

Ur comment is a lil touching. embarassed
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:53am On Feb 02, 2015
blackjack21:

They are my greatest fears. Especially CONTROL. My life and ambitions revolve around it.

Since u now know what u fear. U need not let it lords on u. Just face them and remain fearless.
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by blackjack21(m): 12:54am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

Keep screwing. Just don't complain if u got screwed!

You can mess up but not screw. [bCONTROL[/b]. grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:57am On Feb 02, 2015
blackjack21:

You can mess up but not screw. [bCONTROL[/b]. grin

Na only u know that one ooo!
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Ezibless: 12:57am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

Ur comment is so touching. embarassed

sadJust trying to forget, because i've forgiven. But it's kinda hard to forget.

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 12:59am On Feb 02, 2015
Ezibless:

sadJust trying to forget, because i've forgiven. But it's kinda hard to forget.

U can try and get over it. Sometimes, that's all one can do.
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Ezibless: 1:03am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

U can try and get over it. Sometimes, that's all one can do.

#sighs.

I'd keep trying. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Mubbyleey(m): 1:05am On Feb 02, 2015
No 1 life is perfect, but I'm thankful for everything I have...!
SoMetiMes yoU jUst haV tO Let Go Of fEar...

FeAr KilLs fAstEr thAn You thInK.

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Iolite(f): 1:06am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

What's smelling?

Am sighing at ur list. Its kind of sad but it's definitely the truth. My question is, if one must go through all these, what comes next?

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 1:08am On Feb 02, 2015
Mubbyleey:

That's what is called CONTENTMENT.

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 1:10am On Feb 02, 2015
Iolite:

Am sighing at ur list. Its kind of sad but it's definitely the truth. My question is, if one must go through all these, what comes next?

Fearless mind and soul. One will have the ability to face anything in life and in the process, one becone fearless.
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Mubbyleey(m): 1:11am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

That's what is called CONTENTMENT.
yEah bRo, That'S juSt iT... CoNteNtMenT

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 1:11am On Feb 02, 2015
Mubbyleey:
SoMetiMes yoU jUst haV tO Let Go Of fEar...

FeAr KilLs fAstEr thAn You thInK.

Not sometimes, but everytime!

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 1:12am On Feb 02, 2015
Ezibless:

#sighs.

I'd keep trying. Thanks

U're always welcome. But kindly please, stop sighing!
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Nobody: 1:14am On Feb 02, 2015
Babe2sure:
Sad truth about life!
Life is not a fairytale, that we dreamt of when we were young.
Life happens. *sighs*
chie!!! I so love you baby!!!where do you worship?you know wassup!nice one...

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Ezibless: 1:15am On Feb 02, 2015
yuzjet:

U're always welcome. But kindly please, stop sighing!

cheesycheesycheesy

Is that face better?

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by yuzjet(m): 1:17am On Feb 02, 2015
Ezibless:

cheesycheesycheesy

Is that face better?

It suits u better. I hope u'll believe me?

1 Like

Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Babe2sure(f): 1:17am On Feb 02, 2015
shadowgwalker:
chie!!! I so love you baby!!!where do you worship?you know wassup!nice one...

Lol......Thanks.
Re: 10 Fears You’ll Inevitably Have To Face (and Some You Likely Already Have) by Nobody: 1:41am On Feb 02, 2015
Life's a bit-c-h.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should A Nursing Mother Work To Support Her Husband / Can Your 3 Years Old Kid Write 1-10 / When Is The Right Time For A Man To Leave An UNDESERVING WIFE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.