Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,637 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies (907 Views)

Man Dies In LUTH As Staff Couldn't Find Person With Key To Oxygen Room / Woman Abandons Newborn Twins In Lagos Hospital Over N150k Hospital Bill / Man Abandoned Wife In Hospital Over Inability To Pay N520,000 Hospital Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by meldeezyne(f): 12:55am On Feb 04, 2015
Protests against LUTH after woman detained for unsettled hospital bill dies.

Family members and youths in the Idi-Araba area of Lagos state last Thursday January 29th took to the streets of Idi Araba, to protest the death of one Mrs. Folake Oduyoye who reportedly died on Dec. 13th 2014 at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, after her husband could not offset her medical bill of N1.3million while she was admitted in the hospital for post delivery complications she developed after having a child at the hospital.

According to Sahara Reporters, Mrs Oduyoye's husband, Mr Oduyoye said she was transferred to LUTH following post delivery complications. He said after she was admitted into the hospital, she was treated and given a bill of N1m which he was able to offset through the help of relatives and associates from his wife's fashion trade. Mr Oduyoye said after his wife was officially discharged by the hospital, he was issued another bill of about N1.3million.

Mr Oduyoye said that he was able to raise N300,000 out of the bill and then had an agreement with management of LUTH to discharge her on the condition that he would provide a guarantor who would stand to ensure that he pays up the balance in a systematic manner and that the guarantor must be a staff of LUTH. He said his inability to provide a guarantor within their workforce made the hospital management detain his wife who in the process developed other illnesses with symptomatic cough.

He said the hospital refused to treat his wife's new illness because of the unsettled bill.
"At this point they [hospital management] policed me everywhere, saying I might smuggle my wife out of the hospital. I slept beside her all 45 days in the hospital, watching other patients die on daily basis,” he said.

Sadly his wife passed away in the hospital on 13th of December, 2014, "She asked me if we would go home any time soon, since she was said to be discharged a month and half ago. But that was only the last five minutes into end for her, I didn't know. At about 2a.m on 13th of December, she finally dropped on my lap,” he said.
One of the leaders of the protest and frontline human rights activist, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin said this was a case of government corruption. "This is neglect and a rip off.

Where is the National Health Insurance Scheme and where are the billions earmarked for public healthcare?", Okei-Odumakin said.

3 Shares

Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by Yungwhy(m): 1:09am On Feb 04, 2015
One of the leaders of the protest and frontline human rights activist, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin said this was a case of government corruption. "This is neglect and a rip off. Where is the National Health Insurance Scheme and where are the billions earmarked for public healthcare?", Okei-Odumakin said.
Abeg ask them

1 Like

Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by meldeezyne(f): 1:15am On Feb 04, 2015
lindaikeji..com/2015/02/photos-protests-against-luth-after.html?m=1

Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by Nobody: 1:34am On Feb 04, 2015
looting in loot

1 Like

Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by Leopantro: 1:42am On Feb 04, 2015
So that was why the back gate was locked Thursday and Friday.
Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by meldeezyne(f): 1:42am On Feb 04, 2015
Pathetic... Our health care system's in a state of emergency cry
Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by hahn(m): 1:59am On Feb 04, 2015
We are all victims of corruption. The looter and the looted. Every single sector of this economy has fallen apart
Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by Nobody: 3:07am On Feb 04, 2015
was the woman treated with gold plated tablets to warrant a bill of 2.3 million in a country of #18000 minimum wage? This is murder. The looting Luth officials must be held accountable for her death.
Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by Infomizer(m): 5:34am On Feb 04, 2015
Pathetically lugubrious. The lives of poor people have no value in this country. My fellow NL'ers, work hard/smart and avoid these execution grounds if you can help it!

Damn!!!

1 Like

Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by timawoku(m): 6:33am On Feb 04, 2015
This is very sad, the incoming government should look into this...

SAI BUHARI !!!
Re: Photos: Protests In LUTH After Woman Detained For Unsettled Hospital Bill Dies by meldeezyne(f): 6:27pm On Feb 04, 2015
sad

(1) (Reply)

Your Birth Control Options / Woman, You Are Likely To Have A Stroke! / Pile-related Issue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.