Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree (31760 Views)

Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade / NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Grade In Nigerian Universities / NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Grade In Nigerian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by Shinelle(f): 8:52pm On Feb 04, 2015
Why would anyone aim for Pass anyway?...

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by radiant3(f): 8:58pm On Feb 04, 2015
[quote author=Shinelle post=30432205]Why would anyone aim for Pass anyway?... [/quote

True talk my sister!
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by papercoin(m): 9:00pm On Feb 04, 2015
adewumiopeyemi:
even third class are getting the job....so i dont see anyting in that ...

If I got you right, I'm not downplaying the 2.2 and third class, sincerely I've really seen bright students in this categories that you sometimes wonder what happened, why they aren't among the top, well so also I've seen some really dump 2.1 student; for 'pass' I think an affidavit would be better, abi wetin you think.
However a pass student can become a politician,they're ussually good at it
He could become a member of the red house and dictate the earning of first class prof grin *life can be funny atimes.

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by kolado(m): 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
voltron:
How does this affect COVENANT OR BABCOK when thousands get 1st Class as if it was sold like pure water angry angry
Come to the university of Benin or any other Fed institutions and get the 1st class not all those advanced secondary schools you called private universities and see how it affects you.

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by delishpot: 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2015
Good.
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by grandstar(m): 9:43pm On Feb 04, 2015
Whats wrong with pass or what we termed " Let my people go"?

It feels wrong to group people worthy of a pass with third class products. Anyway, any new innovation is always me with resistance
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 04, 2015
This is something I posted ages ago but the mods didn't deem it FP material, no offense to the OP. It'll have saved many students had it been brought out.
Oh well, better late than never they say.

My post:
https://www.nairaland.com/1588636/change-university-grading-degree-structure
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by WINDSOW(m): 10:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
The Nigerian Educational System is volatile as mess.
1)No credible facilities
2)High cost of schooling
3)Lack of incentives
4)Crude n obsolete teaching methods
5)Lack of research centres n lot more.
If only our tertiary institutions can be heavily funded n utilised,I tell U:Nigerian Students gat potentials to compete with their foreign counterparts.
Tell me,who neva chop na im wan read
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by WINDSOW(m): 10:28pm On Feb 04, 2015
Our university should desist from grade rather people should go to school to acquire skills that ll make them competent in the society. I use to tell people,We youth do not really need a JOB.What we want is opportunities that ll translate our lives.
OK,Imagine a third class grade student,who is skillful in practical auto -mechanics.Imagine,he was given a contact to work as automobile engineer in a car manufacturing coy,ll he use his grade or skills to do the job?ofcourse,he ll use his skills.
Let's acquires skills not grades.Besides,upon grades,the country is yet to invent a thing.
Wetyn Naija don invent Nothing!!!
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by Bimpe29: 10:28pm On Feb 04, 2015
This is wonderful. However, it is a signal only for serious minded students to be more focused.
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by chimoskyg(m): 10:39pm On Feb 04, 2015
papercoin:
That one sef na grade? When 2.1 and first class are still roaming with brown envelope funny thing msc holders are becoming applicants now

BS degree Btw I'm using my AFFIDAVIT already grin just #500 I even gave the court registrar #100 for coke.

Bros yu funny die
Lol
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by Harlex(m): 10:49pm On Feb 04, 2015
Most of these old men that make our policies now had a a better share of the good in this country. We have an educational system that is structured around the availability of jobs. If there are enough jobs......degrees would have been degree.

Now that pass degree has become a thing of the pass......I hope those with better degree can now get the jobs.....lol.......they should provide enough jobs and create enable environment for SMEs......in no time.....Nigerians will stop talking about classes of degrees.
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by VirginFinder: 10:51pm On Feb 04, 2015
I think Covenant University created and implemented this policy about 11yrs ago.

They also created and implemented Entrepreneurial Development Studies and Dress Code policy which public universities have since adopted.

That school must be great.

My siblings are alumni.
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by lusciouslex: 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
If they want to abolish 'pass' and "E", why don't they start by putting an end to strike, flush out wicked lecturers and close down all PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES? For one who is issued with pass in a Federal uni... Could likely be a 1st class student in most of all these private institutions that are notorious for harboring JAMB attempted average students. Eat, Sleep, Conquer Buhari! #team GEJ
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by murraykc(m): 11:16pm On Feb 04, 2015
This means longer university stay for some people. If dem lyk make dem abolish 3rd class join. What we need is more jobs not University grades. Btw my degree na unclassified. From day 1 my pass mark na 50.

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by internetpirate: 11:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
This may just be what you need to move from a pass to a first class in life. Check out: http://www.cashripe.com/?id=nkemjp
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by ApexTitan(m): 12:34am On Feb 05, 2015
An affidavit can solve all certificate issues. This is not a problem.
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by moststylish(m): 7:09am On Feb 05, 2015
i think a law should be made to give third class degree holders a chance for employment.why i am not encouraging laziness for academic excellence i tink our university system should be put in check first .

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by moststylish(m): 7:10am On Feb 05, 2015
i think a law should be made to give third class degree holders a chance for employment.why i am not encouraging laziness for academic excellence i tink our university system should be put in check first if u know what i mean
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by cameeeeel(m): 8:37am On Feb 05, 2015
dats new development....it should be a minimum of 2.2
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by TheIkoro(m): 10:21am On Feb 05, 2015
gabinogem:
nice move... now most of these dullards will sit up & face their studies, not whoring around & engaging in cultist activities.

Point of correction, O ye gullible: Dull lads never engage in activities of CULTure - or, at least, they can not;
they are not allowed to; and they will never be allowed to until the day the "E no need am"
hypocrisy has been both conquered and overcome as thoroughly as the killing of twins is supposed to have been.

- Ikoro Iyineleda.
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by gabinogem(m): 10:08pm On Feb 05, 2015
TheIkoro:

Point of correction, O ye gullible: Dull lads never engage in activities of CULTure - or, at least, they can not;
they are not allowed to; and they will never be allowed to until the day the "E no need am"
hypocrisy has been both conquered and overcome as thoroughly as the killing of twins is supposed to have been.

- Ikoro Iyineleda.
why quoting me to make ur point?
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by 100Cents: 9:49am On Feb 06, 2015
gift01:
See the stress Students pass thru just to become something in life. Even now, a Pass is no more accepted AND someone without certificate want to rule NIGERIA. What a big ERROR!

My dear, the university close to me was doing their matric few weeks ago. I sat observing how students were struggling to make it to the matric ground being that there was very hectic traffic on the road leading to the institution that very day.

I ended my soliloquy with this, " This is what they go through and after 4 or 5 years, nothing for them , what a pity "..

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2015
voltron:
How does this affect COVENANT OR BABCOK when thousands get 1st Class as if it was sold like pure water angry angry

I laugh when I hear people make ill informed statements like this. The fact that Federal Universities make learning harder and frustrating does not mean that those who earned their first class in a private university were "dashed". Trust me, the day Federal Universities become professional, well equipped, comfortable and run a balanced, fair system like Covenant and other private universities, you would be surprised at the increase in the number of first class graduates they would produce. I took a look at the examination questions for an Engineering Department at O.A.U and trust me the questions were of same standard. I could answer all of those questions at first glance.
What then is the difference between me and the person taking that exam at OAU? I have access to the lecture note immediately after the lectures. I can meet my lecturer at his office if I dont understand. Tutorial questions are uploaded so that I can practice. I have access to 24 hour Internet, water and electricity supply. I dont have parties that last all night to distract me here. I am confident of my security and my lecturers are always on time. The person who took those exams at OAU, can he boast of these comforts?
Do not forget that like the lecturers in the public Universities, all our lecturers are products of the public Universities, our vice chancellor inclusive. The same applies with the federal universities. So my brother, it is quite unfair to say that a person who burned the midnight candle, deprived himself of sleep and comfort to earn a first class was "dashed" simply becuase he didnt attend a public University. I end with the statement of Thomas Edison, 'if we do all we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves". Does the Public University give you a chance to do all you are capable of doing?

2 Likes

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 08, 2015
mrryon:

I laugh when I hear people make ill informed statements like this. The fact that Federal Universities make learning harder and frustrating does not mean that those who earned their first class in a private university were "dashed". Trust me, the day Federal Universities become professional, well equipped, comfortable and run a balanced, fair system like Covenant and other private universities, you would be surprised at the increase in the number of first class graduates they would produce. I took a look at the examination questions for an Engineering Department at O.A.U and trust me the questions were of same standard. I could answer all of those questions at first glance.
What then is the difference between me and the person taking that exam at OAU? I have access to the lecture note immediately after the lectures. I can meet my lecturer at his office if I dont understand. Tutorial questions are uploaded so that I can practice. I have access to 24 hour Internet, water and electricity supply. I dont have parties that last all night to distract me here. I am confident of my security and my lecturers are always on time. The person who took those exams at OAU, can he boast of these comforts?
Do not forget that like the lecturers in the public Universities, all our lecturers are products of the public Universities, our vice chancellor inclusive. The same applies with the federal universities. So my brother, it is quite unfair to say that a person who burned the midnight candle, deprived himself of sleep and comfort to earn a first class was "dashed" simply becuase he didnt attend a public University. I end with the statement of Thomas Edison, 'if we do all we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves". Does the Public University give you a chance to do all you are capable of doing?

well you are right.. education aint all about academics, it is all about the right learning environment and opportunity to discover yourself.

The reality is the real world is very different from the academic world.. i agree with you..

1 Like

Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by criuze(m): 2:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
criuze:
The there should Be third class upper and lower, like like 3:1. And 3:2
Re: NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree by criuze(m): 2:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
criuze:
Then there should Be third class upper and lower, like 3:1. And 3:2

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Education Graduates, Students To Get Automatic Employment, Stipends / CBN Collaborative Postgraduate Programme 2019 Applications / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Asks Nigerians To Vote Out APC (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.