Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] (15408 Views)

My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos / Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Jesusbaby6(f): 12:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
MsJJ:
This is the first time I'll be commenting on NL! I've learnt a lot and hope to share my success story soon! Rather than strawberries, I will suggest blueberries, raspberries or blackberries, these are more rugged while you experiment n learn more about strawberries which are VERY delicate! I have planted all three types of berries but the strawberries never survived (not giving up tho). Growing from seed is difficult but I easily find the plants to buy from local nurseries (in Jos). Broccolli and cauliflower is farmed in Jos and most Abuja stores bbuy from there. You are an inspiration @Jasper7 and I WISH TO LEARN FROM YOU!

Please where in jos did you get the berry plants? Do you know if grapes can also be grown in Nigeria and how we can have access to the seeds/plants for cultivation
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by MsJJ(f): 8:32pm On Feb 12, 2015
cava:
@msjj as for the brocoolli and cauliflower planted in jos, were they planted on open field or in green house? and where do they source their seeds from. please respond. the berries you planted, were they also done openly or green house. if in open field, can they survive in the south west ogun state to be precise considering the weather.
I have not seen broccoli plants but I see them fresh in the veegetable market but for the berries I planted, its open field just like flowers in the house.
I am not Sure About growing In S/west
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by MsJJ(f): 8:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
Pavore9:
Is zucchini (courgettes) also available at the local nurseries?
I am not sure oh! Never seen them but auberguine dey sha, but what's the difference btw zuccini andd cucumber ghan?v
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by MsJJ(f): 8:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

Please where in jos did you get the berry plants? Do you know if grapes can also be grown in Nigeria and how we can have access to the seeds/plants for cultivation
If you are in Jos I can give you the gardener's # to contact him direct or if you wish to contact feel free to use d email on my signature
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Pavore9: 3:20am On Feb 13, 2015
MsJJ:

I am not sure oh! Never seen them but auberguine dey sha, but what's the difference btw zuccini andd cucumber ghan?v
Dem be cousins grin Kenya don force me to know many, many veggies! cheesy
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by PAL123: 9:07am On Feb 13, 2015
@Jasper7, please how can I get a mulching film and at what cost? needed as soon as possible. Thanks
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by shinaboy: 12:10pm On Feb 14, 2015
Pavore9:
Two weeks ago, a guy who was pitching his company's services said that the 24ft by 72ft greenhouse they build produces 1650kg of capsicum monthly & they will also facilitate exporting the produce as it attracts good price in d international market.

But do you think a greenhouse is necessary considering Nigeria's generally hot weather?

1 Like

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 10:48am On Feb 19, 2015
ohkay... I remember I promised to talk on marketing. Marketing can be viewed from different angles. And to the best of my knowledge, the major reason fresh food producers have been unable to build a sustainable market for their goods is because of the non-existence of branding in fresh food market.

Everybody just throws their weight in a public market which give room for massive displacement and poaching between suppliers and distributors.

Imagine if peak milk had no name on it. and it was just a milk shared in cups. Yes, peak milk will mantain it's quality, but do you really believe peak milk will still be in business?

Branding gives room for advertising and also room for easy introduction of new product.

For instance, if Jasper cucumber is popular in Lagos, Jasper cabbage, carrot and watermelon will not fin a hard time selling in Lagos.

Can someone tell me exactly why we don't brand our products in Nigeria?
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by saliubello(m): 10:33pm On Feb 26, 2015
I believe its our distribution system that is working against us. Since the distribution system is not organised, then not much can be gotten or expected. Branded farm produce will not see the light of the day ( will not move the market) if it is being distributed under this chaotic open market system we are operating.

Please note that if the packaging is gotten right. The sky is the limit. I understand people who grow broilers birds in large scale usually run into challenges disposing their bird during off-seasons but Zartech and Syed farms (ibadan) are doing creditably well in that aspect. But guess what- these 2 giants are owned and run by lebanese who are "suppossedly whites". My point here is because of our import all mentality and our belief that all that is made by whites are best. We neglect our indigenous innovations.

Agricultural produce branding can not go alone except highly organised distribution centers are opened up which will seem more like a chain of agricultural fruits stores.

You are looking in the right direction anyway. But remember this will cost a fortune but the pros far outway the cons.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 7:14am On Feb 27, 2015
@saliubello. You are absolutely right. Just look at the state of the environment of most fresh food market and you'll see that it's a no go area for branded products.

Nevertheless, I am of the school of thought that the we Nigerians must not continue to live and eat like pigs. we deserve better quality and healthy products, sold in a decent environment. not mile12, bodija and the rest of them. Lol

Believe me, the state of those selling points is a cause of major concern to alot of people, but as my friend hotmas911 will always say "when people see problem, I see opportunity". we have to be thinking in that direction, so that our problems will be solving one after the other.

3 Likes

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by noblefarm: 9:26am On Feb 27, 2015
saliubello:
Sir, may I suggest that we may organise Agro-tourism to Kenya. Please consider this package closely. I'm in when you can put something together

very nice suggestion, am in too
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by saliubello(m): 10:38pm On Feb 27, 2015
I have found out one secret in my sojourn in business. If you want to make it big time; i mean you want to be earning 6 digits income monthly. You spend excessively on Branding. It comes back in 3 folds.

But wait oo. How can one kick start branding for fruits/veggies?

1 Like

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by saliubello(m): 2:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
Pavore9:
Dem be cousins grin Kenya don force me to know many, many veggies! cheesy
@Pavore. Can you share with us how fruits and vegetables are distributed in Kenya?

@All. If you've seen vegetable and fruits are distributed/marketed in other climes. Lets share idea on this. I guess we'll find some insight from that.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by okorune(m): 8:43am On Mar 13, 2015
it's obvious ICT is playing a big role in taking our agriculture 2 d next level. Thank u all 4 ur efforts, God bless. I am enjoying d thread.

2 Likes

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 9:28am On Mar 20, 2015
2 things we need is focus and determination. I believe with this 2 qualities, no matter what happens, our persistence will break the ice.

2 Likes

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by abuyuunus: 12:27pm On Mar 26, 2015
Good Job Jasper7,

We are all following......

jasper7:
2 things we need is focus and determination. I believe with this 2 qualities, no matter what happens, our persistence will break the ice.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Kasfarin(m): 1:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
Nice one Jasper
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by endy231: 4:18pm On Apr 28, 2015
This thread must not end here ohhhhhh. I am following. Kudos to Jasper n co
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by jasper7(m): 4:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
endy231:
This thread must not end here ohhhhhh. I am following. Kudos to Jasper n co
kai.. una say make I continue?
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by agricentral(m): 10:25am On Jul 05, 2015
jasper7:
kai.. una say make I continue?
Yes now

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by phazotron(m): 12:24am On Jul 11, 2015
Awesome thread. Ive. Been thinking of branding of agricultural produce for a while now. I think its a good idea that should be implemented. The nigerian mentality and environment doesnt favour farmers i.e unfair pricing transportation challenges no storage facilities etc. I and my partners are running a small scale farming operation and sometimes im afraid that we wont be able to sell at a good price due to the bargaining syndrome and i think fruit branding can be used to stop it.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by phazotron(m): 12:27am On Jul 11, 2015
saliubello:
I believe its our distribution system that is working against us. Since the distribution system is not organised, then not much can be gotten or expected. Branded farm produce will not see the light of the day ( will not move the market) if it is being distributed under this chaotic open market system we are operating.

Please note that if the packaging is gotten right. The sky is the limit. I understand people who grow broilers birds in large scale usually run into challenges disposing their bird during off-seasons but Zartech and Syed farms (ibadan) are doing creditably well in that aspect. But guess what- these 2 giants are owned and run by lebanese who are "suppossedly whites". My point here is because of our import all mentality and our belief that all that is made by whites are best. We neglect our indigenous innovations.

Agricultural produce branding can not go alone except highly organised distribution centers are opened up which will seem more like a chain of agricultural fruits stores.

You are looking in the right direction anyway. But remember this will cost a fortune but the pros far outway the cons.

You are right. That mile 12 will kill the prospects for branded fruits.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2015
jasper7:
Just got back into my favourite town - Owerri. cheesy. Good to be back home. The fresh air in my front yard is refreshing.

Today, I want to talk about marketing. I have always received calls from prospective farmers and the one major question they ask is... "is there market for it?".

My answer to that question is "I don't know". And to be honest, that's the only answer available.

The truth is, there's no "kinetic" market sitting and waiting for anybody. But there's is always a "potential" market. when I talk of potential and kinetic, I talk of prospective and moving. I would come back to talk more about that. Let me go and greet my staff and fellow farmers.

Owerri you say!!! And I have been seeing your post on nairaland and as well, looking for where I can learn some of the vegetables you grow[na God send you come. I school in futo and will like to meet you. Just sent you a PM. God bless
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by miqos02(m): 9:05am On Sep 03, 2015
jasper7:
ohkay... I remember I promised to talk on marketing. Marketing can be viewed from different angles. And to the best of my knowledge, the major reason fresh food producers have been unable to build a sustainable market for their goods is because of the non-existence of branding in fresh food market.

Everybody just throws their weight in a public market which give room for massive displacement and poaching between suppliers and distributors.
U
Imagine if peak milk had no name on it. and it was just a milk shared in cups. Yes, peak milk will mantain it's quality, but do you really believe peak milk will still be in business?

Branding gives room for advertising and also room for easy introduction of new product.

For instance, if Jasper cucumber is popular in Lagos, Jasper cabbage, carrot and watermelon will not fin a hard time selling in Lagos.

Can someone tell me exactly why we don't brand our products in Nigeria?

taxation from all levels of government
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by oyediranniyi: 11:40am On Sep 09, 2015
miqos02:
taxation from all levels of government

Bane of new and upcoming structured business
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by MsJJ(f): 12:11am On Dec 02, 2015
cava:
@msjj as for the brocoolli and cauliflower planted in jos, were they planted on open field or in green house? and where do they source their seeds from. please respond. the berries you planted, were they also done openly or green house. if in open field, can they survive in the south west ogun state to be precise considering the weather.

Broc n cauli were are planted by local farmers, definitely not greenhouse, the berries were open field, not sure about their survival but you cant say till you try.
Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by greenmind(m): 8:24am On Dec 28, 2015
Is this applicable to an investor (who is not a practicing farmer)?
jasper7:

The idea of not putting all your eggs in one basket doesn't apply in agribusiness. especially for someone who is starting new, commercially.

Re: My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] by Kasfarin(m): 1:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Good Job.. Jasper.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties / Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment / Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.