Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,563 members, 7,812,823 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

He Lost His Job Because Of Trust - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / He Lost His Job Because Of Trust (883 Views)

I Lost My Job Because Of This, So Painful / How I Almost Lost My Job Because Of Orijin Drink. / I Lost My Job Because Of My Love For Buhari...( No Regrets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Lost His Job Because Of Trust by oshoademola1(m): 12:38am On Feb 06, 2015
Signature is a powerful tool in decision making. It is an identity and signifies approval by the owner. It is worth protecting and jealously guided. Do not compromise your signature or sign- on.

Let us learn from Smith.

Smith visited a friend in Jalingo, the Capital of Taraba State. It was 2 weeks to his National Youth Service Corps Pass Out Parade. He saw a Punch Newspaper and flipped through it. A major Oil and Gas company wanted to change her Core Application and the CEO explained the process of transition in the newspaper. Smith had knowledge of the Application and decided to write about it. He submitted his CV with the write- up to the Head, Human Resources of the company.

Smith was scheduled for aptitude test by the Oil and Gas Company on a Friday. He prepared for the test as if his whole life depended on it. On the Friday morning, he woke up with a very serious headache but managed to get to the company. There were 15 people for the test. The Human Resource Business Partner (HRBP) explained to them the pattern of the questions and the policy of 60% as a pass mark. They started the test. It was a paper based test. The test result was out after 45minutes. Smith scored 56%.It was below the 60% pass mark policy. The headache became severe. He became dizzy so he decided to wait at the reception for a moment. He fell into deep sleep. The HRBP tapped him on the shoulder. Where are others? She asked. I do not know, Smith responded. The company is starting a new subsidiary and required immediate deployment of new staff, are you interested? She said .I did not meet 60% pass mark, Smith answered. We will work it out. Report here tomorrow morning. She enthused. Smith became strong again. Headache was gone.

Smith was posted to Finance Department (Account Payable), though, he studied Statistics. He was to report to Collins, the unit head. Collins was transferred from a subsidiary to oversee account payable Unit. Collins was fun to be with. Hard working, always working late and most times work on weekends. Smith’s table was beside Collins’. Collins enquired from Smith about his family, school and other private life including the church he attended. Smith discovered they attended the same denomination. Their relationship became deeper.

The company had deployed Oracle. All transactions were concluded on the computer system. All document processed carried the processor’s name, e- signature and user id. So, all transactions and documents can be traced to the initiator or authoriser.

Smith learnt very fast on the job. He simplified the processes. He reduced the suppliers’ waiting time including foreign vendors; when documents were processed before the due date, he sent mail to vendors for follow up. He became the man of the people. The company closes by 5 pm and over time including weekends attracted extra bucks. Smith joined the crew; he worked late and sometimes, worked on weekends.
He noticed that Collins hid some documents in cabinets far away from their tables. Payments were being delayed to vendors. The vendors lobbied to get paid and if for any reason a manager or vendor raised query on any file, Collins would instruct Smith not to talk.

Smith got to the office on a Monday morning, his table had been moved to the extreme, very far away from Collins’. He never mind, at least it did not affect his work; and more so, that he was independent except for authorisation and this was done electronically.
Smith initiated a payment of N800, 000,000 plus to a vendor in India. The vendor called the group head, finance that the money was processed twice. The investigation started. The first document initiated by Smith carried his name, user id, and e-signature. The document for the second payment only carried his name. No user id and e-signature. The head of operations and some other top management staff vouched for Smith’s integrity and claimed it was an error. Smith was pardoned.

Smith was to process a document sent from the company’s branch in Port Harcourt. The percentage for processing the document was 6% but the document submitted to him for payment carried 15%.He approached Collins for clarification. Collins said the company had changed it to 15%.Collins collected the document and signed off with a red pen. Smith initiated the transaction on the system. The money was paid.
At about 10 am the following morning, the group heads- finance, human resources, marketing and operations came into Smith’s office. They came with the print out copy of the transaction. They asked who processed the payment, he admitted he did. He showed them the hard copy signed by Collins.

The human resources department set up disciplinary committee (DC) and sent invitation to Smith and Collins separately. Collins attended the DC and denied he had knowledge of the payment. Smith attended the DC and presented the document signed by Collins. The DC invited both Smith and Collins.

Smith was rest assured that Collins attended the same denomination with him and that he would prove he was innocent. Unfortunately, Collins denied Smith. Collins said he did not sign any document. He demanded that he signs his signature on a paper. Collins signature was different from the one he signed with the red pen. He only signed his initial which could be easily forged by anyone. The signature on his identity card also confirmed this. Heaven was let loosed!

The ability of the Head of Operations to prove Smith’s innocence proved abortive. Smith was asked to resign. He did resign. That marked the end of Smith’s career in the company.

After about a year, the truth was revealed. Collins initiated a payment that went bad. It was discovered that Collins had been working with a “CABAL” that comprised top management staff. They saw Smith as a threat, he was gullible and he became the victim.

The Bottom-Line

 Team building is a good thing, but check the trust level day in day out.

 Never disclose your sign- on to anyone. Guide your password very well

 Check all documents very well before attesting your signature.

 Let change in organisation’s policy be communicated to you via mail or standard means of communication adopted by the organisation.

 Read, understand and learn to apply your organisation’s policy.

 Understand your line of communication.

 Clearly define and understand your processes.

 Check the conformity of signature signed by your colleagues or supervisors before relying on them

 Ask questions or seek help outside your confined unit if need be

 Never ignore any grapevine .Vet it and choose that which is applicable. People who Collins had worked with in the past had try to warn
Smith but he thought it was grapevine.

 Know the red flag of your work or processes and act fast against such occurrence. Never mind to whistle blow when need arises.

http://easyaccesstolife..com/2015/02/before-you-disclose-your-password.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Lost His Job Because Of Trust by channelz: 12:42am On Feb 06, 2015
Trust

Re: He Lost His Job Because Of Trust by pickabeau1: 6:09am On Feb 06, 2015
Very good post
Always watch your back in d workplace
Get emails backing crucial transactions as backup

Cc: 5minsmadness
Re: He Lost His Job Because Of Trust by 5minsmadness: 9:30am On Feb 06, 2015
My authoritarian/terrorist father always had a saying:
"Trust No one. Photocopy Everything."
I make it a personal rule to NEVER engage in business I cannot reimburse from my own pocket if things go south...especially if I don't have a photocopy or signature to back the deal up.
I still have reciepts as far back as Standard Trust bank and Universal banks, banks that existed before the soludo era. Anything with significant cash I hold unto. Maybe I'm paranoid grin

Back in 2010, we got a new PS to my boss, the guy was transferred from Abuja and rumoured to be a finance genius. Imagine my shock when he walked into our board Monday morning and I recognised him as a childhood friend! We hadn't seen in over 15yrs. He pointed me out immediately and soon we were sharing drinks and reminiscing over our humble backgrounds and the like. He soon called me aside and told me he was looking for an ally in our branch and i was automatically it. That we needed to talk in private later. I agreed wholeheartedly.

The next day we met at lunchtime and he presented his proposal. Suffice to say I was to make a killing out of it running into some millions entering my account steady for at least a year. I perused all the documents and everything seemed legit. It was too good to be true.

"when something is too good to be true, it usually is."

He was a good childhood friend. I had no good reason to doubt him. It all seemed legit. Then i asked for photocopies of the documents and things went south.
He asked what for and I said so I could have my own copy. He said it wasn't necessary, didn't I trust him, the documents were confidential. All I had to do was sign on the dotted line and i would be made. He was officially my superior officer and he could cover me if anything went wrong. He even took me to see certain bankers to prove the thing was legit and they were ok with it.
But no photocopies. Just my signature on a paper and a promise.

I backed out. Thanked him for considering me. Thanked him profusely. There was no way I could pay back that money in 5yrs if things went south. So I backed out.

He was arrested in less than a month. All his high profile folk denied him outright. His dad(an influential man in his own right),came and bailed him out and sent him overseas instantly.

It doesn't matter how buddy-buddy you are at work. When it comes to business, do not mix business with pleasure. Always confirm. Always get your photocopy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Lost His Job Because Of Trust by pickabeau1: 11:04am On Feb 06, 2015
Nice one

Its called CYA .. bruv
5minsmadness:
My authoritarian/terrorist father always had a saying:
"Trust No one. Photocopy Everything."

(1) (Reply)

Earn Up To 20% On Weekly Sales As An Accessbet Agent !!!!! / After Five Years Experience As A Contract Staff In A Bank. / 50 Positions For Solar Entrepreneurs In Kaduna States (kaduna Indigenes Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.