Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (867 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by safarigirl(f): 8:38am On Feb 07, 2015
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by derrick333(m): 8:53am On Feb 07, 2015
Easterners were thre colonial masters
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by safarigirl(f): 9:05am On Feb 07, 2015
Sorry, double posts. Mods please close this thread. Thank you

Cc obinoscopy, lalasticlala
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Abagworo(m): 9:21am On Feb 07, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.
Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"
I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

If you take a look at this map you will notice the area I marked with red line covering Akwa Ibom and Cross River States. That area is geographicaly Southeast. Igboland could either be East central or South central as against wrongly termed Southeast. Niger Delta consists mainly Rivers,Bayelsa and Delta States with small fractions of Imo and Abia States. South-South is a wrong coinage for Southern minorities or more precisely parts of the South outside Igbo and Yoruba area.

So in essence none of the terms used represents reality.

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lalasticlala(m): 9:39am On Feb 07, 2015

(1)

Buhari Certificate: Now That Election Date Has Been Postponed / My Constable Will Arrest Any Errant Governor – Mbu / Patience Jonathan Drops Another Bomb...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.