Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? (34172 Views)

Why Asaba People Forbid Ogbono Soup / A Nairalander (a Bachelor) Preparing Okro Soup This Morning. / Step By Step Picture Of A Nairalander Cooking Okro Soup With Amala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 08, 2015
Hmm. Nigerians and superstitions. And they are the same people claiming to be the most religious in the world, disturbing the ears of God every sunday. Not knowing that they even wear charms to church. Tufia!
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by AfroBlue(m): 8:15pm On Feb 08, 2015
check this out

Gullah Grub, Shrimp and Okra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIlzuUW7X2c
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by confidenceikeh: 8:49pm On Feb 08, 2015
kizzykeziah:
A few years ago,my mum was at a party where okro soup mixture(popularly called ila asepo among yoruba people) was served with boiled meat(gross,isn't it?) and most people couldn't help complaining about the food.They felt it was totally wrong and you know,my mum keeps talking about how insulting that was each chance she gets.

Well it has been noticed(by me smiley) among a number of families who try as much as possible to avoid eating okro and some I know have even banned it from being eaten in their homes because of the belief that the soup draws back the progress of those who eat it and they could even get 'spiritually attacked'.

Some simply avoid it because of the stomach upset that comes with the soup.What do you think about this conception?Is okro really that wrong to be presented at parties?

BTW,I sort of love okro soup save for the stomach upset that at times come with it. cool

Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by JahzaraAde(f): 9:00pm On Feb 08, 2015
Loooool I've never heard about the association of okra (or okro) soup and spiritual attacks!

I used to think Ila was giving to younger children, whilst the adults ate more "sophisticated" soups like Efo Riro, Ogbono, Gbegiri and so on.

I must admit though, Ila is yummyyy smiley
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by MadCow1: 9:03pm On Feb 08, 2015
jemimaa01:
your signature though,lol...I should actually check that section out,who knows,you might be right

Your profile picture though... shocked shocked shocked shocked

Daaayuuuuum!! Girl you are fiiiinnnnnnneeeeeee...

I just fell in love.. Now I need to go yo the hospital to get treated for broken bones.. grin
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Shiifi(m): 10:25pm On Feb 08, 2015
bee444:

I personally and passionately dislike the habit of people like you who rather than commenting in plain and simple English opt for some silly and childish abbreviations.
oooo p square personally,personately
i cant even spell dem abi
kílósô gán

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by macuwon(m): 10:39pm On Feb 08, 2015
i just hate draw soup!
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by bigtt76(f): 12:24am On Feb 09, 2015
How did he or she offended you to warrant the insult? There was no mention of you or your tribe.

We should all grow up joooor. Too much insults here not good angry

xtervaganza:
imagine this son of a wh0re talking nonsense here. So because some people refuse to eat okra soup it means they can't cook?

E no go better for you join the people wey like your comment. Stoopid animal
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by xtervaganza(m): 7:09am On Feb 09, 2015
bigtt76:
How did he or she offended you to warrant the insult? There was no mention of you or your tribe.

We should all grow up joooor. Too much insults here not good angry

before you quote me and ask me to grow up I'll advise you to wear your reading glasses. I'm not a rabid dog who attacks without a reason.

I expect an apology from you

Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by bigtt76(f): 7:46am On Feb 09, 2015
So because the poster mentioned 'Yoruba' you automatically felt slighted? Has it ever occurred to you that only a 'mad man' is not insulted? If somebody or group of people insult your tribe or religion, then it is because they found something worthy of mention. You don't go around responding to all insults rained on your tribe or religion ....if they don't talk about you now, you will again feel someone or people trying to marginalize you.

In the post, I did not see anywhere mentioned 'xtervaganza' cannot cook or cooks poison as okro soup ....point that to me then I will apologize to you. Till then please apologize to the poster ....he or she is not from a wh0re mother!

xtervaganza:
before you quote me and ask me to grow up I'll advise you to wear your reading glasses. I'm not a rabid dog who attacks without a reason.

I expect an apology from you
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Lantean(m): 8:30am On Feb 09, 2015
obiak4:
spiritual implications most people that refused to eat okro are involved with charms and diabolism FACT ask a won agba
my 100000 cowries contribution

Very true. I didn't understand why some people avoided okra until I asked my Mom. She said the same.
But me... Aah! Ila alasepo? That 's the bomb! Both Wifey and Mom are the best cooks in the world.

Abi na.. COOKERS? Lol
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Jumkye: 9:02am On Feb 09, 2015
Okrao Soup is yuck shocked
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 09, 2015
MadCow1:

Your profile picture though... shocked shocked shocked shocked

Daaayuuuuum!! Girl you are fiiiinnnnnnneeeeeee...

I just fell in love.. Now I need to go yo the hospital to get treated for broken bones.. grin
hahahahahahaaaa....now this is a nigga with fine ass lines..I could be your doctor you know,treat them broken boneswink
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Adesiji77: 1:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ishilove:
My mum doesn't eat draw soup too. Whenever she ate it she always faced severe attacks, so she quit it.

Spiritualists don't eat draw soup. That's my observation.

Come to think of it, been having this unusual craving for okro soup and eba since mid-day cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Bimzu: 2:07pm On Feb 09, 2015
Okro is rich in calcium. I think its the belief some Nigerians attach to it that has made it almost s taboo
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by menix(m): 2:24pm On Feb 09, 2015
Adesiji77:

Come to think of it, been having this unusual craving for okro soup and eba since mid-day cheesy

I think am in d mood too..

@topic..
D truth b told Okro harms som otumokpo, any1 avoiding okro is fetish except 1% wo naturally re allergic to it.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Skmoda360(m): 2:39pm On Feb 09, 2015
MadCow1:
You can't serve draw-soup at parties because it has very high potential to soil the eaters clothes.

You don't want to have your guests with soiled Aso-Ebi showing soup marks and stains do you?
you on point
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by xtervaganza(m): 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
bigtt76:
So because the poster mentioned 'Yoruba' you automatically felt slighted? Has it ever occurred to you that only a 'mad man' is not insulted? If somebody or group of people insult your tribe or religion, then it is because they found something worthy of mention. You don't go around responding to all insults rained on your tribe or religion ....if they don't talk about you now, you will again feel someone or people trying to marginalize you.

In the post, I did not see anywhere mentioned 'xtervaganza' cannot cook or cooks poison as okro soup ....point that to me then I will apologize to you. Till then please apologize to the poster ....he or she is not from a wh0re mother!

i thought you had common sense that was why I posted the screenshot.

1st you said he did not mention my tribe and now you're saying he did not mention mu name.

What kind of f*cked up logic is this? You better stop quoting before I make you regret being alive
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by rafcrown(m): 9:58pm On Feb 09, 2015
WHAT IS KITTY CAT?
dancok:
a lady that give everyone kitty cat.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by MadCow1: 12:22am On Feb 10, 2015
jemimaa01:
hahahahahahaaaa....now this is a nigga with fine ass lines..I could be your doctor you know,treat them broken boneswink

I believe my symptoms just got worse.. I may need to be admitted.. grin

For reals though, you are drop dead pretty.. Im sure you get that a lot.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
rafcrown:
WHAT IS KITTY CAT?
obo
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by bigfrancis21: 3:45pm On Mar 18, 2015
kizzykeziah:
A few years ago,my mum was at a party where okro soup mixture(popularly called ila asepo among yoruba people) was served with boiled meat(gross,isn't it?) and most people couldn't help complaining about the food.They felt it was totally wrong and you know,my mum keeps talking about how insulting that was each chance she gets.

Well it has been noticed(by me smiley) among a number of families who try as much as possible to avoid eating okro and some I know have even banned it from being eaten in their homes because of the belief that the soup draws back the progress of those who eat it and they could even get 'spiritually attacked'.

Some simply avoid it because of the stomach upset that comes with the soup.What do you think about this conception?Is okro really that wrong to be presented at parties?

BTW,I sort of love okro soup save for the stomach upset that at times come with it. cool

I guess the stomach upset might be due to the way the Okro soup is prepared in the South West. In the South East, okro soup hardly gives anyone stomach upset at all.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by kizzykeziah: 7:22pm On Mar 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I guess the stomach upset might be due to the way the Okro soup is prepared in the South West. In the South East, okro soup hardly gives anyone stomach upset at all.

I'm beginning to wonder how they prepare it in the South East.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by bigfrancis21: 7:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
kizzykeziah:

I'm beginning to wonder how they prepare it in the South East.

In the east, there are 2 ways of preparing Okro soup: okro soup with ogbono and the plain okro soup without ogbono.

Here's a video on how to make both versions:

Plain Okro Soup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPxvvojyOo

Okro Soup with Ogbono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwbM7cfjDCI

Just like my mother, I personally prefer Okro with Ogbono (makes it rich in thickness), laced with okporoko (stock fish), mangala fish, beef, shaki, and liver. My dad prefers the plain one without Ogbono.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by kizzykeziah: 10:18pm On Mar 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

In the east, there are 2 ways of preparing Okro soup: okro soup with ogbono and the plain okro soup without ogbono.
Here's a video on how to make both versions:
Plain Okro Soup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPxvvojyOo
Okro Soup with Ogbono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwbM7cfjDCI
Just like my mother, I personally prefer Okro with Ogbono (makes it rich in thickness), laced with okporoko (stock fish), mangala fish, beef, shaki, and liver. My dad prefers the plain one without Ogbono.

Now that looks REALLY good. I'd check it out sometime. All the 'extras' definitely would make it irresistible. I'm referring to the beef, fish, etc, etc, etc.

And I didn't know you could add ogbono to okro. Two draw soup together
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by bigfrancis21: 11:01pm On Mar 19, 2015
kizzykeziah:

Now that looks REALLY good. I'd check it out sometime. All the 'extras' definitely would make it irresistible. I'm referring to the beef, fish, etc, etc, etc.

And I didn't know you could add ogbono to okro. Two draw soup together

Yes you can add Ogbono to Okro. Ogbono takes over the place of the drawness of okro (okro's role of drawiness is reduced because it is added towards the ending of the soup and Ogbono at the beginning) and also brings with it that distinct ogbono taste which adds an overall flavour and richness to the soup.

Okro on its own draws, but the taste of plain okro soup and okro with ogbono are slightly different, with me preferring the latter.

Try it out, you will love it.
Re: Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? by kizzykeziah: 3:13pm On Mar 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yes you can add Ogbono to Okro. Ogbono takes over the place of the drawness of okro (okro's role of drawiness is reduced because it is added towards the ending of the soup and Ogbono at the beginning) and also brings with it that distinct ogbono taste which adds an overall flavour and richness to the soup.

Okro on its own draws, but the taste of plain okro soup and okro with ogbono are slightly different, with me preferring the latter.

Try it out, you will love it.

Okay, I think I get it now. Would surely try it out. And you must really have taste too cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Natural Method Of Weight Reduction And Flat Tummy / A Nairalander's Monthly Contribution: Look How My Isusu Paid Me With Foodstuffs / The Creative Design A Pregnant Woman Made With Abacha Ingredients (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.