Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,268 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read (35312 Views)

Why Biafrans 'support Donald Trump: BBC Report / The Bayelsa Election: A Lesson For The Igbos / 21 INEC Resident Commissioners Reject Postponement Of Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by omenka(m): 10:23am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
This election postponement is most embarrassing and a testament that Preofessor Attahiru Jega is an incompetent and clueless dude just like the President. This is the first time since we returned to democracy that the INEC Boss will openly take orders from the NSA, the Military and members of pro-PDP as regards election scheduling and rescheduling. Since when has the Military activities determines elections scheduling? The Electoral Act and the Constitution did not say NSA, Military and INEC should determine election date. Even if there is crises in a part of the country, Section 26(1) of the Electoral Act 2010 (amended) permit INEC to hold election in the peaceful area and reschedule for the trouble zone at a convenient date. Why can't Jega invoke this section and exclude Gombe, Borno, Adamawa and Yobe from Feb 14 and Feb 28 poll until March 28 and Aprill 11 respectively? Since when do we need the Military for election? What is the Statutory duties of the Police, the NSCDC, and by extension the DSS with respect to internal security? If personnels are not enough then why not bring in other paramilitary to assist? Must it be the Military? Was the Military used in 2003, 2007 and 2011 election? Militarisation started from Edo 2012,then Ondo(2012), Anambra(2011), Osun and Ekiti(2014) Gubernatorial contests. When did the Military become statutory responsible for internal security? The letter of the Chief of Defense State that was communicated to Jega through NSA Sambo Dasuki is treachery and unfortunate. Jega's announcement yesternight only confirmed that he doesn't know what he is doing. This is a shame, our democracy has been raped.
I beg to disagree with you. Jega, metaphorically speaking, had a gun to his head with his hands tied behind his back when he announced the postponement. I lay all the blame on the president. It was crystal clear the PDP was headed for a shameful defeat and had to pull all the stops, legal or otherwise, to ensure that doesn't happen. This is nothing but a civilian coup. I am hugely pained by what happened to say the least.

8 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by brightade: 10:23am On Feb 08, 2015
But why this so called US refuse to sell their weapon to nigeria ?
Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Mrevildoer(m): 10:24am On Feb 08, 2015
A reply to these questions would highly be an honour...Sir Mr President Were you the one who fixed February 14th as the day for presidential election or Mr Jegga and why?

Secondly were you still the same person who asked for the postponement of the February 14th presidential election or Mr Jegga and why?

In summary can the military stop Bokoharam in six weeks?

3 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by brownlord: 10:25am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
This election postponement is most embarrassing and a testament that Preofessor Attahiru Jega is an incompetent and clueless dude just like the President. This is the first time since we returned to democracy that the INEC Boss will openly take orders from the NSA, the Military and members of pro-PDP as regards election scheduling and rescheduling. Since when has the Military activities determines elections scheduling? The Electoral Act and the Constitution did not say NSA, Military and INEC should determine election date. Even if there is crises in a part of the country, Section 26(1) of the Electoral Act 2010 (amended) permit INEC to hold election in the peaceful area and reschedule for the trouble zone at a convenient date. Why can't Jega invoke this section and exclude Gombe, Borno, Adamawa and Yobe from Feb 14 and Feb 28 poll until March 28 and Aprill 11 respectively? Since when do we need the Military for election? What is the Statutory duties of the Police, the NSCDC, and by extension the DSS with respect to internal security? If personnels are not enough then why not bring in other paramilitary to assist? Must it be the Military? Was the Military used in 2003, 2007 and 2011 election? Militarisation started from Edo 2012,then Ondo(2012), Anambra(2011), Osun and Ekiti(2014) Gubernatorial contests. When did the Military become statutory responsible for internal security? The letter of the Chief of Defense State that was communicated to Jega through NSA Sambo Dasuki is treachery and unfortunate. Jega's announcement yesternight only confirmed that he doesn't know what he is doing. This is a shame, our democracy has been raped.

Stop talking rubbish to sound intelligent my friend, those countries telling you only police should be used for election are advanced countries with high tech. to protect the votes of the people, CCTV alone can secure a polling unit without having police there, also you don't have violent and desperate politicians who are ready to do anything to win votes, this is what you should be looking at and not blabbing and ranting about constitution, who doesn't know the military are not supposed to be deployed for internal security, but a situation where you have thugs that have little or no respect for police what choice do you have?

Those 2003, 2007 you referring our votes was never counted, i can recall on several elections in edo state, we leave our house to polling unit not to vote but to watch how PDP and ANPP thugs will come snatch ballot box and rig elections, i know of someone who was given police uniform just to disguise as a security agent and today he has a federal job as result of that, i also remember one election someone came and shoot sporadically into crowd and drove off without confrontation, this was the case of 2003, 2007 but today our votes are counting and electorates are no longer afraid to go out for fear of being intimidated during election, so take your nonsense rant else where, you cry militarization, in all of those election starting from edo, to ekiti, ondo etc PDP has won just one with apc having two, the once conducted by APC in their state was neither free nor fair e.g ( Edo and Kano ) house of assembly and LG elections. So stop ranting, we know what the constitution says, we need to crawl before we start running

5 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by makazona(m): 10:25am On Feb 08, 2015
Why so much weeping in the house
Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Xbee007(m): 10:25am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
It is obvious that it is not Jega's fault, rather some corrupt individual in the military who are so corrupt that the interest of Nigerians is not on their mind. Their sole interest is for their reward as promised by the President and his cohorts in the PDP so as to give him more time to decide on the apt strategy to rig this election.
This is evident in the viral Ekiti State election saga. It is therefore overly obvious that Jega doesn't have a hand in this because he is always interested in the wellbeing of its staff, which the military claim that can't guarantee. This makes one to wonder whether a war that has been on for over five years without any tangible success could be resolved in Six weeks (Is it magic?).
I am really disappointed in this county. However, we are hanging on to hope.
Good bless Nigeria? He has already did with all this natural resources and all, therefore, it should be:
God save Nigeria! May he save Nigeria from all those oppressors who want to turn their executive position to their family seat.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by joshrare(m): 10:26am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:

Security of voters is involved, since a lot of things r happening in d country. The help of d military cannot be undermined..

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 08, 2015
I have no doubt in my mind that PDP is using BH as a tool of blackmail .....and using it also to hold Nigerians to random.

When the whole hullabaloo is over.....I have no doubt in my mind that PDP will beg for soft landing for GEJ....

4 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 08, 2015
Election should be next year whether you like it or not

since there's boko haram .....no election. ....

GEJ TILL 2023

2 Likes

PLEASE HOW CAN I MAKE MY NAIRALAND HOME PAGE TO STOP SHOWING JONATHAN PICTURES.........................NOT GOOD TO BE SEEING EVIL FELLOW EARLY IN THE MORNING @SEUN

14 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by barbstee(m): 10:27am On Feb 08, 2015
I rep Buhari anytime ayday though corp members may nt be able 2 vote.GMB all the way
#March4Buhari

1 Like

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by elmisti(m): 10:28am On Feb 08, 2015
elipheleh:

I.D.I.O.T! Na alone you go go vote...
Thesame constitution did not tell you the work of the armed forces as the protector of lives of citizens and intergrity of Nigerian boarders?
Idiotic mallam Hausa wants to take the absence of the military as opportunity to slaughter people..
Your region North is possessed by lot of demons(your religion calls then jinn) . Each time I see a moslem, I see demons following them. Afterall who can deliver you from higher forces if not the force of Jesus Christ? Accept Jesus now as you are unprotected from demons
You must be an IVF baby with a malfunctioning brain. Like sersly, ur brain allowed ur hand to type dat? And even ur eyes saw it.....u need to a doctor man!

1 Like

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by UGLYS: 10:28am On Feb 08, 2015
meshacha1:
Any little thing BBC will carry it, Nigeria no longer have privacy.
What's all this?
Can't this news be within us?

Come March 28th, all we know is Sai Buhari
Hit like if u agree

Contradictory and insane post. No wonder yo got no likes. Get a life dude/lass.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 08, 2015
Bro, the talk of six weeks BH fight is tertiary, the government and PDP have plans and only time will tell. Did you hear what Jega said when he was asked "What if the situation in the NE didn't improve, will the election hold?" Jega response was "The Military will decide".
ediral:
Speak 4 yourself,I am not part of d postponement,and is not acceptable to me,I hope d six weeks will change all Gej's incapabilities for over 5yrs.........

1 Like

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 08, 2015
I have permanently defect to APC. I am disappointed with PDP they pressurised Jega to shft the date. Why are they afraid to contest? Sign of inferiority.

8 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by OpeDwarroir: 10:29am On Feb 08, 2015
Going by the press release of INEC, it is a welcome development for the postponement of the general election. The whole country is tensed up with violence that followed the campaignering period. The military is sure needed during the election process. All the security aparatus should be used for the election to subdue any break down of law and order during and after the election.

Jega gave an eleborate reason why the polls had to be shifted, and he categorically stated that he was not coerced by anybody to take the decision. He carried everybody along during his wide consultation.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by PlutoLA(m): 10:29am On Feb 08, 2015
This latest action just shows that this government is worse than military rule. They practically threatened INEC into postponing the election. So they mean that just a few hundreds troops cannot be deployed to the polling stations to protect the life of Nigerians? After all the election is taking place for just 2 days. Well Jega has no choice,if the military has refused to provide support,he has no choice but to cancel it else the blood of innocent Nigerians be on his hands. GEJ has successfully removed the I in INEC which should stand for Independent by using the resources at his control to oppress and force inec into taking actions to benefit his political propaganda. Is this democracy? I think not

3 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, the talk of six weeks BH fight is tertiary, the government and PDP have plans and only time will tell. Did you hear what Jega said when he was asked "What if the situation in the NE didn't improve, will the election hold?" Jega response was "The Military will decide".
Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by kelobestline(m): 10:31am On Feb 08, 2015
5 years couldn't bring stability wondering how 3 weeks is gonna perform d magic. "Perceiving foul play already"

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Caseless: 10:32am On Feb 08, 2015
IbnSultaan:
The PDP must go
that's clear.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by dklex(m): 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
alaoeri:

Get your facts right US & others are ready to fight the insurgents but realized that your military has been infiltrated by the insurgents thereby can't risk sharing of intelligent with Nigeria military that's why they back out.

Exactly, that's why all the western military back off, and after they stop all the means of Nigerian army getting the weapons. since they are using it to re enforce the BK boys.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by watchman111: 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
[quote author=makzeze post=30533520][/quote]so they have been using the whole Nigerian army to fight bokoharam n??if so why havnt they defeated them.imagine using three hundred thousand foot soldiers to fight ten thousand boko boys.and they have been fighting for five years.they havnt defeated them yet but ordinary two thousand Chadian soldiers dealt a heavy blow on bokoharam..gej God is watching you..PDP God is watching you oh.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
Brother, Jega's hands weren't tied, yes there was pressure here and there but the decision was his to make. That he bowed to them showed he isn't assertive and hence, incompetent. We need assertive leaders in power not bending elements like Jega
Yes, he made the call but not until several consultations with stakeholders. If he had allowed the election to proceed as planned, many would think he has an ulterior motive. Some idiots were already calling for his head. We should not perturbed by the postponement. When we take obstacles/setbacks and use it as a stepping stone to create something great, they can become our greatest allies.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Pesuzok(m): 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
dvee2:
The bottom line is that this postponement is to give GEJ the option of using the court to disqualify Buhari base on certificate and perjury claim.

I tell you. But I believe the change will still come. If Buhari is disqualified, APC might have to field kwankwaso, who is the the second in their primary. It still won't be easy for Pdp to defeat Kwankwaso/Osinbajo tickets.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by nep2ra(m): 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
ifuckedJudith:

Have you smoked your weed this morning?

Have you bleached your brain this morning?

4 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
WWhat then is the job of the Police? What is the job of the Mobile Police? When has the Military become incharge of internal security? They usually come in to compliment the police when the Country is facing overwhelming insurgency. They aren't needed for election and not even to conrol crises. It is not their job!why cabt they postpone for the 4 States in the NE? Is BH running amok in NW? Are they disturbing in the South and NC? Why must the fate of our country be on standstill? This is pathetic. I'm so pained
joshrare:

Security of voters is involved, since a lot of things r happening in d country. The help of d military cannot be undermined..

1 Like

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by jaybee3(m): 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
Brother, Jega's hands weren't tied, yes there was pressure here and there but the decision was his to make. That he bowed to them showed he isn't assertive and hence, incompetent. We need assertive leaders in power not bending elements like Jega
Bro, wetin you want make the man do when it's obvious the possibility of sponsored violence if the election were to hold on Sat was a very real possibility.

The whole situation just made me weak i tell you. Few people holding the country to ransom

6 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by rayval(m): 10:34am On Feb 08, 2015
It is time to take our chance" not give us our chance.....nobdy can give us exept we take it either by violence or what ever means...Nigeria has no youth. We re dead-nt rite, no power, no unity, nothing**we allow some old fools.. Some beasts of no nation, some thieves to gamble with not just our future but that of our children..and we stupidly come out with empty brains to campaign , argue, fight, and eventually vote for those two selfish people**where is the youth, where is the leader of tomorrow, where re you..you'v sold your value..and one silly thing we fail to realise is that..They fear us. They re scared..they knw d power is actually in our hands..but the Nigerian youth knws nothing abt d definition of freedom, d Nigerian youth knows nothing about democracy. We re afraid of Living..Oh God....Jesus wept-i'm doing same**It is time to create a future our parents never did..it is time to build a home, a country and a fatherland..I stand for a movement, I stand for the truth I stand against Buhari and Jonathan..I stand against pdp and Apc, I stand against christians and muslims, I stand against the north, south, east and west. I stand for one Nigeria, I stand for the youth and I stand for the truth, I stand for for change-you nd I....we need a total cleansweep..we need revolution..social revolution precisely..we have the power we shouldn't fail our children**#MOVEMENT OF THE PEOPLE# this is our home we need to recreate it..there is no weapon stronger than our voice, our unity, our zeal, our value, our right and our dream.....we can do this**they cn alws kill us but cn nva kill our dreams**It is better to die for something than live for nothing***We need change-we don't need buhari, we need change we don't need Jonathan...time to rewrite History**it is time to redeem d national pledge to Nigeria our country-If is see any bloody youth campaigning or telling me shits abt APC nd PDP, I will blow of his brains nd bury him with pride-nd I'd hope to gt a virgin for dat in heaven..Bleep any one of you who clamour for chnge via those old men..*nd I would see u born in hell wen my dream is born**movement of the people#
Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by zoomzoom(m): 10:34am On Feb 08, 2015
alaoeri:

Didirin why will Britain assist in tackling election violence ain't Nigeria an independent state?

Very well said...meaning Nigeria as an independent state is well within its rights to determine how it runs its affairs right?
So WTF IS BRITAIN BABBLING ABOUT?

1 Like

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by watchman111: 10:35am On Feb 08, 2015
[quote author=omenka post=30534656]I beg to disagree with you. Jega, metaphorically speaking, had a gun to his head with his hands tied behind his back when he announced the postponement. I lay all the blame on the president. I was crystal clear the PDP was headed for a shameful defeat and had to pull all the stops, legal or otherwise, to ensure that doesn't happen. This is nothing but a civilian coup. I am hugely pained by what happened to say the least.[/ they
have been using the whole Nigerian army to fight
bokoharam n??if so why havnt they defeated
them.imagine using three hundred thousand foot
soldiers to fight ten thousand boko boys.and they have
been fighting for five years.they havnt defeated them
yet but ordinary two thousand Chadian soldiers dealt a
heavy blow on bokoharam..gej God is watching
you..PDP God is watching you oh. ]
Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by Cypost: 10:35am On Feb 08, 2015
I see no justifiable reasons for this postponement. Jaga was basically forced to do this. It also shows dt Nigeria lack strong institutions dt can stand their own. Everybody dancing to the tune of the man in charge at all times.
Is a pity

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read by igeolink: 10:37am On Feb 08, 2015
coldsummer:
[size=18pt]I used to like GEJ a lot. But his cluelessness makes it impossible to continue liking him

[/size]
He doesn't need ur like....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Army Uncovers Major Bomb-making Factory, Arrests Terrorist Leader / Panama Papers: Adenuga, Andy Uba, 106 Others Named / Buhari Has Not Endorsed N30,000 Minimum Wage – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.