Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move (1272 Views)

How Elections Was Rigged In The North By An ADHOC Staff.photo / Thank You GEJ For Postponing The Election (got My PVC For Gej)-pics / There Was No Basis For Postponing The Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by markpenk: 10:01am On Feb 08, 2015
What is it with political parties rousing the polity and making inflammatory statements? Honestly, all I hear is just noise from people who are susceptible to the bandwagon effect and their leaders trying to cause trouble. Let's examine this rationally, shall we?

1. The elections were postponed because the army is otherwise engaged in the north east. Let's talk about this for a moment. The FG only recently reached a multilateral agreement with neighboring countries on stemming the influx of the menace that is called Boko Haram. As a result, there's been considerable success in the war against the terrorists.

All of those saying that the government had 6 years to fight these guys know nothing about guerrilla warfare or how these terrorists operate. Like it or not, Boko Haram is well funded -by whom, we don't know, but that's not the argument- and is considered the 5th most funded terrorist group in the world.

These terrorists have access to weaponry that even the nigerian army can only dream of. This combined with our porous borders made it easy for them to sneak in, do their damage, and get out into neighboring countries like Chad and Cameroon without any repercussions. But now that they're being engaged on all fronts, things aren't going so well for them now considering the recent success in the campaign against terror.

2. If the army were reassigned to protect the people and ensure peace during the elections, the question is, will there be a nation to even protect by the time the elections are over, considering that there's the possibility of a greater influx of terrorist running from neighboring countries? To my mind, if it takes just a few more weeks to contain these imbecilic and cowardly terrorists while giving the army enough time to marshal its resources and deploy its manpower, I think the 6-week wait is justified.

3. Have you ever heard the saying "strike while the iron is hot"? Well, that's what the army is currently doing. Reassigning them to other duties will only slow down the progress they've been making to secure the nation's peace.

4. Can we in all honesty put the safety and security of this country in the hands of the NPF or any other security organization? Because these are the only people available to do any "protecting". If you answered yes, let me ask you a quick question: if you had the option of choosing between the police and army to protect and guard your neighborhood, who would you choose? The answer I'm sure is obvious. Bottom line, we need the army to have peaceful elections.

5. There is palpable tension in the polity. It's so palpable, you could almost touch it. Moving the election by six weeks will only help diffuse the tension to more manageable levels. And those clamoring for more time to get their PVCs can now go get it. if anyone doesnt get his/her PVC during this time, they won't have anyone to blame but themselves.

Now, my submission is this: If we can wait for four years, we can wait another 6 weeks to ensure that we have credible elections. There's no point in having elections riddled with accusations of bias and little or no due diligence. God bless Nigeria.

P.S: Only mature and rational comments please.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by LRNZH(m): 10:03am On Feb 08, 2015
My question to you OP is:

IF BH is not crushed in 6 weeks should elections be postponed further?

Don't insist on BH must be crushed in 6 weeks as your response.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by markpenk: 10:07am On Feb 08, 2015
Interesting question my brother. The truth is it can't be postponed further. We'll just have to move forward with it seeing as the constitution says all elections must be concluded at the latest 30 days to the swearing in day. That said, 6 weeks is enough time for the FG to prepare, deploy and properly equip all alternative security agencies to carry out the task of protecting the citizenry during the elections. It's not the ideal situation, but we'll have to work with what we have.
LRNZH:
My question to you OP is:

IF BH is not crushed in 6 weeks should elections be postponed further?
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by babyfaceafrica: 10:14am On Feb 08, 2015
The fact is the army is acting funny ,since dasuki suggested elections should be postponed.I personally don't think the army is winning the war on boko haram ,I think our neighbours are doing better thn us.you asked if I will prefer my to be put life in the hand of NPF or army my simple answe is neither...both agencies are been compromised by politicians..so don't let us go thee,we can refer to the highhandness expeienced from the army during the ekiti osun and anambra elections..so who says they are better during elections? The aftermath od dis postponement is that voting aparthy will increase nd people will not tun up like before...people are really dissapointed by this decision and I know Jega is deeply saddened by it..but what will he do if the security outfits will not guarantee the security of people..if anything happen they will blame him...I have my own theory about this postponement..but I will let it pass for naw...nybody screaming for war will be consumed by it himself...all I want is fair and credible elections

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by lordthree(m): 10:14am On Feb 08, 2015
markpenk:
Interesting question my brother. The truth is it can't be postponed further. We'll just have to move forward with it seeing as the constitution says all elections must be concluded at the latest 30 days to the swearing in day. That said, 6 weeks is enough time for the FG to prepare, deploy and properly equip all alternative security agencies to carry out the task of protecting the citizenry during the elections. It's not the ideal situation, but we'll have to work with what we have.
why didn't they equip them all these years

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by loomer: 10:17am On Feb 08, 2015
THINGS FALL APART
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by markpenk: 10:19am On Feb 08, 2015
That's a question only people in government can answer. Anyways, upwards and forwards. Let them do the needful now. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Let's hope they rise to the occasion now.
lordthree:

why didn't they equip them all these years
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by markpenk: 10:21am On Feb 08, 2015
True talk at the bolded.
babyfaceafrica:
The fact is the army is acting funny ,since dasuki suggested elections should be postponed.I personally don't think the army is winning the war on boko haram ,I think our neighbours are doing better thn us.you asked if I will prefer my to be put life in the hand of NPF or army my simple answe is neither...both agencies are been compromised by politicians..so don't let us go thee,we can refer to the highhandness expeienced from the army during the ekiti osun and anambra elections..so who says they are better during elections? The aftermath od dis postponement is that voting aparthy will increase nd people will not tun up like before...people are really dissapointed by this decision and I know Jega is deeply saddened by it..but what will he do if the security outfits will not guarantee the security of people..if anything happen they will blame him...I have my own theory about this postponement..but I will let it pass for naw...nybody screaming for war will be consumed by it himself...all I want is fair and credible elections
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by mekadinho(f): 10:22am On Feb 08, 2015
THEY SAID HE IS CLUELESS, WHY ARE THEY ATTACKING AND ACCUSING HIM OF POSTPONING THE ELECTION TO FAVOR HIMSELF NAA? CLUELESS PPL DON'T REASON LIK DAT NAA...
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by kazmanbanjoko(m): 10:23am On Feb 08, 2015
Hmnnn. Oro pataki

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by monteriza(m): 10:26am On Feb 08, 2015
I agree with the Op. It's a smart one for the ruling party, cos it will buy them more time to implement their evil plans. Only gullible people will buy the CDS' idea. FYI, the total no of Nigerian soldiers involved in the fight against insurgency in the NE is not up to 10,000. So you want to tell me that's all we've got. Besides, providing security for election is not the responsibility of the military. The constitution is very clear on that.
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by markpenk: 10:29am On Feb 08, 2015
Bruv, please let's keep this thread clean. Let's leave the accusations and insults for other threads. Here, let's just reason like educated folks and leave the bickering to the other threads. I don tire to dey see insult upon insult on top nairaland. Cheers.
mekadinho:
THEY SAID HE IS CLUELESS, WHY ARE THEY ATTACKING AND ACCUSING HIM OF POSTPONING THE ELECTION TO FAVOR HIMSELF NAA? CLUELESS PPL DON'T REASON LIK DAT NAA...
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by markpenk: 10:34am On Feb 08, 2015
Bruv, first can we keep away from pointing fingers? I know it's not easy, but make we try wink abeg. That said, it is actually their constitutional duty to provide security and protection during elections.
monteriza:
I agree with the Op. It's a smart one for the ruling party, cos it will buy them more time to implement their evil plans. Only gullible people will buy the CDS' idea. FYI, the total no of Nigerian soldiers involved in the fight against insurgency in the NE is not up to 10,000. So you want to tell me that's all we've got. Besides, providing security for election is not the responsibility of the military. The constitution is very clear on that.
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by makazona(m): 10:43am On Feb 08, 2015
u hv some points here
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by gambit10: 10:45am On Feb 08, 2015
@OP u said 5 Reasons Why you Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move....but I all I read is a single reason written in 5 different ways ... You all saw the foul play in the postponement, but for whatever reason some of you saw a positive in it. #gutted
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by monteriza(m): 10:46am On Feb 08, 2015
Bros, I was in the Nigerian military for over ten years, so whatever I say concerning the military is not what I think but what I know. The Army, Navy and Airforce have no business providing security for election. They've been doing it out of eye service, but is not supported by the constitution. And the Service Chiefs are aware of this.
markpenk:
Bruv, first can we keep away from pointing fingers? I know it's not easy, but make we try wink abeg. That said, it is actually their constitutional duty to provide security and protection during elections.
Re: 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move by mekadinho(f): 11:01am On Feb 08, 2015
markpenk:
Bruv, please let's keep this thread clean. Let's leave the accusations and insults for other threads. Here, let's just reason like educated folks and leave the bickering to the other threads. I don tire to dey see insult upon insult on top nairaland. Cheers.
Insult kwa? No... All I m saying is dat they should stop attacking GEJ, INEC is an independent body, and GEJ as clueless as opposition party calls him, can't make INEC change its decision. I hv nt collected my PVC, infant, most of my friends hvnt. So why shouldnt I celebrate? INEC is an independent body and GEJ can't force anytin on them, so ppl should stop attacking him pls.

(1) (Reply)

Did Pastor Adeboye Intentionally Did This To President Jonathan? / Troops Who Recaptured Baga To Be Given Special Promotion / The Tale Of The Goat And The Yam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.