Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,093 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship (1174 Views)

Amazing Kitchen Tips That Will Change Your Life / Things That Bring About Failure In Today's Marriage. / 7 Things That Make You Look Like A Cheater(even If You Are Not) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by Bamibor: 4:01pm On Feb 08, 2015
The world around us today is full of people who have failed to find satisfaction in their relationships.
Marriages are crumbling daily for simple and avoidable reasons.
I believe we can all have beautiful relationships, that can weather the storms and blossom against all odds.
Here are 5 simple things you can do to improve your relationship:

1. Good Communication: Yes, I know you've heard this many times but I am also sure by now you have understood that hearing/knowing is not quite thesame as doing. One key in every successful relationship is for both parties to talk, about everything.
There really are no limits to what you can and should talk to your partner about, especially in marriage.

2. Learn how to use the Magic Words

Many words that we often take for granted could greatly help to improve a lot of relationships. Words thank you, Sorry, please, I love you etc., may look simple but they are very powerful tools.
Many prople, perhaps due to their upbringing or mere ego, find it really hard to say these words and that has ended up hurting many relationship. And to add too, you can never do too much of affirming your love for your partner. If we are to forgive seventy times seven times in a day, I guess it wouldn't be out of place to affirm your love those number of times too *winks*

3. Forgive and Grow

First of all, to mantain a healthy relationship, you must have a heart that readily forgives. We are all humans, aiming for perfection (and none of us is there yet by the way), so the unavoidable tendency to offend is there. Added to this too, is the fact that both of you came from different backgrounds and will see several things differently, so you must be willing to forgive faults and overlook presumed imperfections.
Secondly, while each partner expects to be forgiven, when he/she offends, each must also continue to grow. You don't expect your partner to keep forgiving and overlooking thesame flaws repeatedly for years without any effort towards a positive change, coming from you.

4. Learn Your partner's Love Language and speak it.

This one is about the most important of them all and a lack of proper understanding in this regard has cost many relationshionships dearly.

There are five major love languages spoken by every human and people respond depending on which category (or combination of categories) they fall.
We have:

a.)Gifts
b.)Quality time
c.) Acts of service
d.) Words of Affirmation
e.) Physical Touch (not necessarily sexual)

For the purpose of this post, I cannot go into details about each of the love languages but suffice it to know that the key is not to communicate in the language you prefer, but to find out your partner's and exptess it to him/her. People respond better when you express love to them in thrir own unique language and a person can respond to a combination of these five languages.
5. Be Yourself.

This one does not need too much sermonizing. Jst don't try to tirn your relationship into an African Magic episode or a holly wood movie. Don't paint a picture that is not real because soon enough, tge ink will fade and the real image will ve laid bare. Just be you and allow your partner love you for your unique attributes.

*N/B: Recommended for Reading: Five love Languages by Gary Chapman (infact you should own one)
I wish you blossoming and fruitful relationships...you can add your for us to learn from

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2015
We are pencil .....
Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by Bamibor: 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2015
mkpakanaodogwu:
We are pencil .....

Well, I think I have seen a quote with that same phrase somewhere...but how do you mean exactly?
Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:18pm On Feb 08, 2015
Bamibor:

Well, I think I have seen a quote with that same phrase somewhere...but how do you mean exactly?
relationship is too complicated to be defined.what worked for A may not work for B.it is a fairy tale
Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by Bamibor: 4:22pm On Feb 08, 2015
mkpakanaodogwu:
relationship is too complicated to be defined.what worked for A may not work for B.it is a fairy tale

You are very correct. That is why we must be ourselve and try to understand each other better rather than trying to duplicate other prople's lifestyle...
Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2015
Bamibor:

You are very correct. That is why we must be ourselve and try to understand each other better rather than trying to duplicate other prople's lifestyle...
you are right,team BEYOURSELF

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:58pm On Feb 08, 2015
Bamibor:
The world around us today is full of people who have failed to find satisfaction in their relationships.
Marriages are crumbling daily for simple and avoidable reasons.
I believe we can all have beautiful relationships, that can weather the storms and blossom against all odds.
Here are 5 simple things you can do to improve your relationship:

1. Good Communication: Yes, I know you've heard this many times but I am also sure by now you have understood that hearing/knowing is not quite thesame as doing. One key in every successful relationship is for both parties to talk, about everything.
There really are no limits to what you can and should talk to your partner about, especially in marriage.

2. Learn how to use the Magic Words

Many words that we often take for granted could greatly help to improve a lot of relationships. Words thank you, Sorry, please, I love you etc., may look simple but they are very powerful tools.
Many prople, perhaps due to their upbringing or mere ego, find it really hard to say these words and that has ended up hurting many relationship. And to add too, you can never do too much of affirming your love for your partner. If we are to forgive seventy times seven times in a day, I guess it wouldn't be out of place to affirm your love those number of times too *winks*

3. Forgive and Grow

First of all, to mantain a healthy relationship, you must have a heart that readily forgives. We are all humans, aiming for perfection (and none of us is there yet by the way), so the unavoidable tendency to offend is there. Added to this too, is the fact that both of you came from different backgrounds and will see several things differently, so you must be willing to forgive faults and overlook presumed imperfections.
Secondly, while each partner expects to be forgiven, when he/she offends, each must also continue to grow. You don't expect your partner to keep forgiving and overlooking thesame flaws repeatedly for years without any effort towards a positive change, coming from you.

4. Learn Your partner's Love Language and speak it.

This one is about the most important of them all and a lack of proper understanding in this regard has cost many relationshionships dearly.

There are five major love languages spoken by every human and people respond depending on which category (or combination of categories) they fall.
We have:

a.)Gifts
b.)Quality time
c.) Acts of service
d.) Words of Affirmation
e.) Physical Touch (not necessarily sexual)

For the purpose of this post, I cannot go into details about each of the love languages but suffice it to know that the key is not to communicate in the language you prefer, but to find out your partner's and exptess it to him/her. People respond better when you express love to them in thrir own unique language and a person can respond to a combination of these five languages.
5. Be Yourself.

This one does not need too much sermonizing. Jst don't try to tirn your relationship into an African Magic episode or a holly wood movie. Don't paint a picture that is not real because soon enough, tge ink will fade and the real image will ve laid bare. Just be you and allow your partner love you for your unique attributes.

*N/B: Recommended for Reading: Five love Languages by Gary Chapman (infact you should own one)
I wish you blossoming and fruitful relationships...you can add your for us to learn from
I like

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship by Bamibor: 9:19am On Nov 20, 2015
HumbledbYGrace:
I like

Thanks...I hope some of the tips have been helpful? I figured even though we know some things we still need constant reminders to put them into practice and get them into our subconscious.

(1) (Reply)

Can Your Tell Your Boss To Vacate The Front Seat Of Your Car For Your Wife? / 6 Tips To Consider Before Choosing A Life Partner / I'm Never Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.