Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,081 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job (2505 Views)

He Lost His Chance Of Getting The Job Because Of Pierced Ears / See The Job Offer I Got From " Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala" / End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by rafcrown(m): 2:36am On Feb 11, 2015
Fired for a tweet - before starting the job
Pizzeria owner not amused
By Emma Woollacott, Feb 10, 2015
The tweets from Cella and Robert Waple@Cellla_ / @Robertwaple / Twitter

It takes some doing to get fired from your new job before you've even started. But one Twitter user going by the name of Cella has managed it.

She'd bagged a job at local pizzeria Jet's Pizza in Texas, and was due to start last week - but wasn't pleased. "Ew I start this f*** a** job tomorrrow," she tweeted, with no fewer than seven thumbs-down emojis.

Her friends sympathised - but one person didn't.

"And... no you don't start that FA job today! I just fired you! Good luck with your no money, no job life!" replied prospective boss Robert Waple.

It seems that one of the pizzeria's other employees, who knew Cella, had screen-grabbed the tweet and showed it to the boss.

"I got fired over Twitter," tweeted Cella - with three laughing emojis.

"Working register (the till), taking phone orders, making subs/salads. Eating free pizza. How hard would that have been?" Mr Waple later commented.

"I would've just called her and fired her, but I wasn't at work and didn't have her number... probably one of the dumbest things to say about a job you haven't started yet."

The exchange has now gone viral on social media, and has even hit the news in places as far-flung as Norway and the Bahamas. Some Twitter users criticise Mr Waple for his harshness; others mock Cella for her stupidity.

But Cella is by no means the first person to lose a job because of ill-advised posts on social media. Five years ago, Essex teenager Kimberley Swann managed it almost as quickly as Cella.

"first day at work. omg!! So dull!!" she posted on her first day at Ivell Marketing & Logistics - after having added some of her co-workers as Facebook friends. Her boss said it was "unfortunate that we didn't come up to Miss Swann's expectations", and fired her immediately.

And just a couple of weeks ago, survival expert Ray Mears also managed to get himself fired from a job before even starting.

He'd accepted a gig speaking at the Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show later this month. However, in January, the BBC aired an episode of Room 101 featuring Mears - and in which he described his utter loathing of caravans.

"There was no way we can now have him come along to speak at our event, commented one of the organisers. "He shouldn't have taken the job if he has fundamental issues with caravans."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 3:52am On Feb 11, 2015
very funny
Kim didn't deserve a sack.
The boss should have simply given her more work to do

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 5:42am On Feb 11, 2015
Choi!! grin grin
I better be careful what I post on my facebook o! lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Ariyke: 6:37am On Feb 11, 2015
Kai alarm bloww for them
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 6:42am On Feb 11, 2015
People should know that this is the 21st century, Do not post something you would be ashamed of later.

2 Likes

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by CrazyScientist: 6:43am On Feb 11, 2015
In mama peace voice, 'chai! God cash them!'

1 Like

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Emmysteve(m): 7:25am On Feb 11, 2015
She deserve the sack. That is what you get when you tweet more than your brain.

2 Likes

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Obiwannn: 7:26am On Feb 11, 2015
very funny...
I've learnt a thing or two anyways.

1 Like

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nairalander01: 8:57am On Feb 11, 2015
Thats the more reason why our generation needs to be more careful with what we say/post on social media cos you don't know who's watching embarassed

1 Like

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by 100Cents: 8:59am On Feb 11, 2015
Sai GEJ...

All the people insulting GEJ, b ready to lose your jobs come May 29, 2015..

2 Likes

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 11, 2015
i have removed all my colleagues from my Facebook friends list.

i nearly earned a query for re-tweeting another persons tweet and it appeared on my Facebook wall. before i got to the office that morning, madam was already furious. i was accused of making uncouth comment about the president on social media ,after work that day , i removed all of them from my list.

2 Likes

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by eph12(m): 10:34am On Feb 11, 2015
aguiyi:
i have removed all my colleagues from my Facebook friends list.

i nearly earned a query for re-tweeting another persons tweet and it appeared on my Facebook wall. before i got to the office that morning, madam was already furious. i was accused of making uncouth comment about the president on social media ,after work that day , i removed all of them from my list.
You don't have to make uncouth comments about someone before you prove your point.
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by JustCurious: 10:36am On Feb 11, 2015
So weird.
Somethings are better left unsaid than shared on social platforms. You don't/wouldn't know how far those tweets, status updates go. #CautionIsKey.

Nowadays, maama don't say 'be careful what you say' but "be careful what you post". The audience of the later (what you post) is to the power of infinity...^^^^ grin
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 11, 2015
eph12:

You don't have to make uncouth comments about someone before you prove your point.

i re-tweeted someone else tweet. it was during the 2011 elections and i was campaigning for GMB at the time while my madam was a GEJ fan . i later realized she is a friend to GEJ wife's PA or something like that.

what even connotes an uncouth comment. i still get angry every time i remember that hash tone and words she used on me that morning.

Bosses are good at over stepping their bounds because they call the shot and its bad.

just imagine the girl that was sacked because she tweeted that her first day at work was dull, is that even worth a query let alone a sack?

is that the kind of boss or superior you are?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nogen: 10:48am On Feb 11, 2015
After elections, a lot of people will lose their jobs because of uncouth and insulting comments on social media.

Some people just do not know where to draw the lines. Let those who collect their salaries from their respective political parties do the talking while you simply observe. I cannot lose my sleep, my job and my precious time over any political party.

1 Like

Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by eph12(m): 11:01am On Feb 11, 2015
aguiyi:

i re-tweeted someone else tweet. it was during the 2011 elections and i was campaigning for GMB at the time while my madam was a GEJ fan . i later realized she is a friend to GEJ wife's PA or something like that.

what even connotes an uncouth comment. i still get angry every time i remember that hash tone and words she used on me that morning.

Bosses are good at over stepping their bounds because they call the shot and its bad.

just imagine the girl that was sacked because she tweeted that her first day at work was dull, is that even worth a query let alone a sack?

is that the kind of boss or superior you are?
You retweeted a tweet means you support or like the tweet. That's not even my point. There are ways one behave online and it makes people assume you're either unserious or a tout. As for that girl that got sacked she deserve it. people need to realize that social medias are not their private thoughts.
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 11, 2015
tchidi:
Choi!! grin grin
I better be careful what I post on my facebook o! lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed
Not just facebook, all social media including nairaland and whatever we say to people at large..

I read on nl where a guy was sent a regret mail even before the test was taken accusing him of malpractice because he asked for materials and stuffs concerning the company. i think he was identified through the email he dropped, probably dropped same mail he uses for job applications here......wish i can dig out the thread..

We just have to be careful with what we say anywhere, anytime.. Your utterances can make or mar you...
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Hollawaley(m): 11:53am On Feb 11, 2015
Well i dont think she deserved a sack
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by orezimena28(f): 12:44pm On Feb 11, 2015
If you don't like d job, why accept it in d first place? They all got what they deserved.
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by StealthyMe(m): 1:16pm On Feb 11, 2015
What u post online lives on wit u! Some ppl for NL go dey yab dia bosses...Continu! grin

E go shock u d day e go know say na im employee dey yab am embarassed
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 1:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
So true,the world is now a global thought..

Most people can't differentiate private life with social media..

Imagine someone putting a picture of him puffing cannabis on facebook,I smiled when I saw it,cos he didn't know the implication of what he did in the nearest future.

That's why I am always mindful of my post on social media..
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2015
chidyhels:
very funny
Kim didn't deserve a sack.
The boss should have simply given her more work to do
Typical Naija mentality
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by hayoakins(m): 2:07pm On Feb 11, 2015
Guard your tongue/mind with all diligence, for out of it flows the issues of life
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by IceSplash(f): 2:37pm On Feb 11, 2015
be carefull wat u post online, eyes are watching
Re: Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 11, 2015
tchidi:
Choi!! grin grin

Are you just aware,better do because prospective recruiter go as far as checking your facebook with that they could judge who you 're.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Urgent! Its For This Morning / Best Way To Write An Curriculum Vitae (CV) For A Job Opportunity (+ Samples) / Who Got This Message?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.