Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,806 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie (1381 Views)

Silenced - Nigeria's First Silent Movie. / 'Action Film'- A Short Film Script By Sholay2011 / Wildfire - A Short Film Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 11:25pm On Feb 11, 2015
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 11:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
Okay, before I am torn apart. This movie was done last year. I first shot (Dunno if my small camcorder qualifies for the term 'shot') in June but in .mts or AVCHD format which didn't allow for easy conversion. I kept having stills in every 10 seconds, so I decided to re-shoot and by then things had changed. I worked with a different cast and the beautiful location had changed a bit.

So, I had to hurriedly find a new 'cliff' plus the cast had come in quite late and there wasn't going to be much of daylight.

I shot and then started editing. Editing no easy mehn! what with the detailing and trying to merge raw footage to achieve something. Which is why I think a good director allows for less stress on the editors.

I also had the dilemma of wanting to add music or not but decided not to, this is in fact what made me not upload all this while but what the heck, I cannot be so afraid to put out this work because I want it to be made perfect.

villageboi prof80 (sorry if I got the moniker wrong) and others. Please watch and positively critique, thanks. smiley smiley
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by prof800(m): 2:19am On Feb 12, 2015
Wow... I actually watched this? ...for six minutes...!?

My sister, I say nice job. But that is the only nice part.
Though I forgive you for everything else.

Did you D.O.P this short?
At about 1:57 in your video, you shot against the light and the facial expression of your characters got lost.

Also at 4:something I could hear the director/camera man's voice.

The story is too macaroni... sad

The D.O.P forgot the importance of camera shots and their significance too.

Besides, this is NOT a silent short at all. The screams and mumblings marred it.

The ambient sound and voiceless dialogue should've not been there.
It should have been scored and replaced by sound effects.

The transitions remind me of those Nigerian tv dramas we used to watch on NTA as far back as '89, '90. I think it's that nostalgic feeling that kept me going.

smiley
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by boolet: 10:23am On Feb 12, 2015
What's the theme? Is the lady possessed by some demons?
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by VillageBoi(m): 11:16am On Feb 12, 2015
Ah Eno... finally!

Yeah I watched it all and I enjoyed watching it. The very good thing is you went and got yourself a camcorder and actually shot something. Many people haven't and will never get to that stage. So what if it's not great? This is the first thing you've ever done. You don't work in the industry, you've never studied this... and yet you went out and did something without knowing hardly a thing about filmmaking... yes you absolutely tried. Well done.

The next step for you is to watch as many good short films as you can. Figure out a way to stabilise the camera (perhaps a tripod if you can get one). Google 'rule-of-thirds' and 'composition' and watch some of those on Youtube. Pen down short story ideas (try to picture the shots in your head as you are scribbling stuff down) and then it's go out and practice, edit, practice, edit, practice, edit and then practice some more! (try not to add any funky transitions to your edits... start with just plain cuts and dissolves.

I remember the 'original' cliff from the other thread that was lost during the site hacking incident. Yeah that place would have looked so nice and added to selling to the audience that she pushed them off a cliff. (I'm guessing that was what you were trying to show?)
Ok first effort... could be better, should be better... and you probably should have had them speak instead of mime. I'm sure your next one is going to be way better wink
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 8:01am On Feb 13, 2015
prof800:
Wow... I actually watched this? ...for six minutes...!?

My sister, I say nice job. But that is the only nice part.
Though I forgive you for everything else.

Did you D.O.P this short?
At about 1:57 in your video, you shot against the light and the facial expression of your characters got lost.

Was working against time. As I said, the cast came late and I was shocked when I got to the location that the place had changed. The actor's scene had to be re-shot many times because there was no chemistry between him and the main actress.

Also at 4:something I could hear the director/camera man's voice.

That was the assistant's voice and that was the best shot (don't laugh). She wasn't mustering enough energy in cutting branches grin and we were working against time

The story is too macaroni... sad Wetin be macaroni? cry cry

The D.O.P forgot the importance of camera shots and their significance too. Yes, I must admit I forgot somethings

Besides, this is NOT a silent short at all. The screams and mumblings marred it. Hmmm

The ambient sound and voiceless dialogue should've not been there.
It should have been scored and replaced by sound effects.
Well, if you check my original posts, I said I was debating about it in my mind. Besides, I would have had to use different scores. After editing, I nearly canned the whole stuff but how will I learn if I canned all my efforts?

The transitions remind me of those Nigerian tv dramas we used to watch on NTA as far back as '89, '90. I think it's that nostalgic feeling that kept me going.
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin Choi! This yabbing dey make me remember 'tales by moonlight'
smiley

Thanks jare for watching and the feedback
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 8:02am On Feb 13, 2015
boolet:
What's the theme? Is the lady possessed by some demons?
grin choi, she wasn't. Only made a first mistake that led to another
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 8:10am On Feb 13, 2015
VillageBoi:
Ah Eno... finally!

Yeah I watched it all and I enjoyed watching it. The very good thing is you went and got yourself a camcorder and actually shot something. Many people haven't and will never get to that stage. So what if it's not great? This is the first thing you've ever done. You don't work in the industry, you've never studied this... and yet you went out and did something without knowing hardly a thing about filmmaking... yes you absolutely tried. Well done.

Thanks smiley cheesy

The next step for you is to watch as many good short films as you can. Figure out a way to stabilise the camera (perhaps a tripod if you can get one). Google 'rule-of-thirds' and 'composition' and watch some of those on Youtube. Pen down short story ideas (try to picture the shots in your head as you are scribbling stuff down) and then it's go out and practice, edit, practice, edit, practice, edit and then practice some more! (try not to add any funky transitions to your edits... start with just plain cuts and dissolves.

Okay. Got it. Googling as I type but I must say editing is tiring. embarassed

I remember the 'original' cliff from the other thread that was lost during the site hacking incident. Yeah that place would have looked so nice and added to selling to the audience that she pushed them off a cliff. (I'm guessing that was what you were trying to show?)
Ok first effort... could be better, should be better... and you probably should have had them speak instead of mime. I'm sure your next one is going to be way better wink

Yes, the original cliff which I tried inserting self the first shot is a different shot from that day's short but the location had changed oh. It was sad because the place was so untouched before. Unlike my first shot, I had space to maneuver, I couldn't for this one. And those people, come finish my rice and carrot stew for house.

Thank you so much for the feedback and useful tips kiss
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Nmeri17: 1:50am On Feb 14, 2015
wow!!! enoqueen village boy and prof on one thread. shocked eno arr u into movies too
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 10:32am On Feb 16, 2015
Nmeri17:
wow!!! enoqueen village boy and prof on one thread. shocked eno arr u into movies too

Enoquin and enoqueen arent the same please take note. I think the latter is on NL too. I have dreams of directing and writing. I have screenplays though but I would like people to watch what's in my head. Dunno if that makes sense.
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Nmeri17: 11:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
^^^ well your write-ups do come along with a lot of imagery and realism but it doesn't follow yo movies will be as realistic.

Godspeed!!
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by VillageBoi(m): 7:43am On Feb 18, 2015
Nmeri17:
^^^ well your write-ups do come along with a lot of imagery and realism but it doesn't follow yo movies will be as realistic.

Don't be too hard... it's her first time. When one says filmmaking is actually very difficult many of us won't believe that. Even with a lot of our 'Pros' the end result is nothing like what the actual idea looked like inside of their heads.
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 10:03am On Feb 18, 2015
Nmeri17:

Godspeed!!

Wrong, who's to say my movies cannot be as realistic?

Thanks though
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Enoquin(f): 10:10am On Feb 18, 2015
kiss Gracias VillageBoi.
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Nmeri17: 11:13am On Feb 18, 2015
VillageBoi:

Don't be too hard... it's her first time. When one says filmmaking is actually very difficult many of us won't believe that. Even with a lot of our 'Pros' the end result is nothing like what the actual idea looked like inside of their heads.
that's what I was trying to say. she won't be part of the cast and crew. and a lot happens between scriptwriting and shooting and production. hope u understand?? smiley
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by VillageBoi(m): 12:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
Nmeri17:
that's what I was trying to say. she won't be part of the cast and crew. and a lot happens between scriptwriting and shooting and production. hope u understand?? smiley
Yes. Remember a lot of filmmakers did start by getting a camera, grabbing their friends and just doing stuff. That's what she has done and with a lot more practice she'll get better. Don't forget she is a complete novice in filmmaking. Sometimes we have to be cast, crew and everything - it's not ideal but there isn't always a choice.
Take this for example - this was what a bunch of friends did and we didn't really spend a dime on it. I was the DOP, did the camera work and edited - https://www.nairaland.com/1105305/une-clope-short-film-nsfw
Re: The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie by Qoaki3k: 11:45pm On Feb 19, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones Season 7 - New Facts- Key Points -new Leaks / Entertainment World (netflix -dish -hulu -tidal -spotify) Account For Sale / DOWNLOAD: Festival Of Seduction Season 1 Latest Nigerian 2019 Nollywood Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.