Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. (1048 Views)

Neither Senate Nor DSS Can Stop My Fight Against Corruption — Magu / This Picture Says A Lot About Buhari's Fight Against Corruption / Naira Revaluation Post May 29th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Gbawe: 10:21am On Feb 12, 2015
Reading the thread below made me realise that many Nigerians still do not understand Buhari's thinking about how the fight against prosecution will be prosecuted. I think some Nigerians expect a gung-ho Rambo-style fight and 'take-down' of prominent Nigerian 'baddies' perceived to be corrupt.

https://www.nairaland.com/2143063/definitely-buharis-biggest-mistake-whats

Those expecting that will be disappointed because Buhari, several times, has clearly stated his approach to corruption and it will not include wasting valuable governance time , considering how troubled Nigeria is, making his leadership entirely about going after those guilty of past corrupt practices when there is much to do in the present and future to secure Nigeria and get her on track again.

Buhari has stated that his government will "draw a line in the sand" (his words exactly) when sworn in to power as a point from which things must be done properly and the point from which stealing, corruption, criminality and impunity will no longer be condoned or go unpunished. Buhari makes it clear that the corrupt have a chance to change their ways and be part of a new Nigeria up to that "line" drawn in the sand. Buhari is not here to witch-hunt anyone . The chance is there for wrongdoers and enemies of Nigeria's progress to change their way and submit themselves to the new way of administering Nigeria.

So therefore Buhari will not reject the help of any prominent Nigerian , to include reformed wrongdoers, who are genuinely interested in working for the birth of a a new and working Nigeria. He will not come out to call some thieves, even if that is what some Nigerians want, because that is not the way Buhari has told anyone he will fight corruption. He will not, after gaining power, begin fighting everything and everyone to a standstill when that makes little sense and is counter-productive to what needs to be done to address the serious problems of Nigeria.

Everyone, even the corrupt, gets a 'fresh start' under GMB as long as they reform and accept that things will no longer be "business as usual" after May 29th. When Buhari gets into power he will, first and foremost, assess the level of damage done to Nigeria. From that point measures will be put in place to 'repair' Nigeria that will not spare any sacred cows. If any Nigerian, however highly placed, fall foul of the new way of doing things then they will be dealt with by an impartial and corruption-intolerant system that had warned everyone to reform for the better or face the consequences of their actions. This is why Buhari has told hardened wrongdoers who do not wish to change their ways to "get ready to leave Nigeria" when he becomes President.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 12, 2015
Fight against corrupition, how? Tinubu corruption alone, is far greated dan any corrupt practices in naija carried out by d pdp. D gap is like d distance between d sun and d earth where we live. Imagine, tinubu ving access to fed purse. Buhari is built on tinubu, d alfa and omiga of corruption, so how is he going to fight it. Lol, guess tinubu will become d EFCC bozz so dat he will fight it well. U can't rob peter to pay paul, u can't tell me a 72 years old man, who soonest will give upp d ghost wif d stress of being a president tackle corruption d way hez making mouth. As far as asiwaju is d foundation of buhari, corruption will always win. Tinubu=corruption

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Gbawe: 10:29am On Feb 12, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Fight against corrupition, how? Tinubu corruption alone, is far greated dan any corrupt practices in naija carried out by d pdp. D gap is like d distance between d sun and d earth where we live. Imagine, tinubu ving access to fed purse. Buhari is built on tinubu, d alfa and omiga of corruption, so how is he going to fight it. Lol, guess tinubu will become d EFCC bozz so dat he will fight it well. U can't rob peter to pay paul, u can't tell me a 72 years old man, who soonest will give upp d ghost wif d stress of being a president tackle corruption d way hez making mouth. As far as asiwaju is d foundation of buhari, corruption will always win. Tinubu=corruption

You clearly did not read and understand what I said so I have nothing to say to you. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by lynn79: 10:30am On Feb 12, 2015
Very wise move ...and a word is enuf for the wise. Ooya, FFK and company, start repenting and start afresh! All yoour sins will be forgiven, no need to support Clueless for fear of Jail.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by TheOtherview: 10:31am On Feb 12, 2015
Gbawe,

By all means let's declare amnesty for the corrupt, but only after they have forfeited at least 90% of any criminal proceeds.
Anything less is a betrayal of the people's will, in my opinion.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by vislabraye(m): 10:48am On Feb 12, 2015
If Buhari will not probe past corrupt leaders, how will he fight corruption ?

As long as you turn a new leaf, you are welcomed So funny.
Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Gbawe: 10:56am On Feb 12, 2015
TheOtherview:
Gbawe,

By all means let's declare amnesty for the corrupt, but only after they have forfeited at least 90% of any criminal proceeds.
Anything less is a betrayal of the people's will, in my opinion.

My 2 cents.

This is the kind of contribution I like. Intelligent and thought-provoking. Your point is valid and correct but this cannot come at the start of Buhari's Presidency because Buhari has made it clear he will immediately move to address two major problem leading Nigeria towards becoming a failed state i.e security and the economy. Punishment of corruption and the return of stolen loot will not be personalised under Buhari. It will be achieved through fundamental reforms and strengthening of institutions and parastatals like the NNPC, Nigerian Army, Nigerian police force et al specifically with investigative probes Buhari has revealed he will carry out to find out "what went wrong".

It will not be feasible to recover everything everyone has stolen but specific task force recommendation will underpin the recovery of major looted funds. The Buhari Government, as one example, will get to the bottom of the alleged missing $20 billion. The "amnesty" is aimed more at those who are not linked to governance today. Those who have destroyed Nigeria by abusing their public office in the GEJ government will still be punished if probes and task force investigation indict them. This is why Okupe et al are ranting about "Buhari will never rule Nigeria".

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Gbawe: 11:17am On Feb 12, 2015
vislabraye:
If Buhari will not probe past corrupt leaders, how will he fight corruption ?

As long as you turn a new leaf, you are welcomed So funny.

Clearly you don't get it because you do not want to get it. Let us talk objectively and dispassionately as educated men. It is not probing "past leaders" and individual that will provide the best way to fight corruption. The best way to fight corruption is by creating a system where impunity, criminality, lawlessness and theft of public funds is punished swiftly and severely to provide a deterrent to potential wrongdoers. That is how it is worldwide and that is what gets lasting rewards to help developed Nations get where they are today. I would posit that Germans and Australians would be as corrupt as Nigerians today if their system let them be so !!!

Britain, as an example I hope puts issues in perspective for you, does not fight armed robbery by going into homes to look for armed-robbers. The nation fights the crime by developing a highly effective policing system that means you will be shot dead quickly by a rapidly-responding and well-trained police force if you brandish a gun in public for the sake of disposing someone of their cash/asset. With this being the case, you would have to think twice before committing armed robbery in Britain. In Nigeria armed robbery and crime thrive because our police force, to put it mildly, is sh*t !!!! If you are devoted to supporting GEJ then that is fine but what Buhari is saying is simple and, to all reasonable Nigerians, the panacea to the issue of corruption. It is far more important, above everything else, to create a system that chokes and stifles corruption. The PDP has never done this because many in the Party benefits from a Nigeria where corruption thrives.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by rozayx5(m): 11:19am On Feb 12, 2015
gbawe still deceiving himself cheesy cheesy

fight corruption with who?
tinubu?
Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Gbawe: 11:23am On Feb 12, 2015
rozayx5:
gbawe still deceiving himself cheesy cheesy

fight corruption with who?
tinubu?

This thread is for intelligent folks, whether they support APC or PDP, and not biased and vindictive dullards like you devoted only to your enemy-of-progress agenda.
Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by rozayx5(m): 11:48am On Feb 12, 2015
Gbawe:

This thread is for intelligent folks, whether they support APC or PDP, and not biased and vindictive dullards like you devoted only to your enemy-of-progress agenda.

mr man please go and sleep, your useless threads trying to portray buhari as a saint wont fly anymore cool cool

i noticed you went missing in the thread were your paymaster said he can ban the press if they distract him, only to rear your ugly head here and claim mr intelligent.
intelligent nonsense undecided
Re: Buhari And The Fight Against Corruption Post May 29th 2015. by Gbawe: 11:52am On Feb 12, 2015
As a further example of the simple concept of Buhari that TANdroids will pretend not to understand, let us take the recommendation of the Ribadu Petroleum task force submitted to GEJ years ago.

Ribadu stated that Nigeria, as the only major exporter of crude doing so, must stop selling her oil through traders because this self-destructive practice abets massive theft and corruption against Nigeria. Not only did GEJ ignore this recommendation that was within his power to implement in minutes but our President also sanctioned his attack dogs (Omokri, Okupe, Abati et al) to attack and discredit Ribadu and his findings!!!! What will we have in place today if GEJ had done as Ribadu charged? It is not rocket science people. It is about political will and the character to do the right thing and turn one's back on greed as GEJ is unable to do and as Buhari will surely do. When Buhari talked of "stabilizing the oil market" this is what he meant while enemies of Nigeria's progress played mischief with that quote.

Buhari meant that Nigeria can make her oil sector very effective, to the benefit of Nigeria, with the implementation of measures that will defeat corruption, introduce transparency and enshrine accountability. The sort of accountability that will ensure, in the fight against corruption, that corrupt acts are quickly recognised and punished.

Another example comes via the 'ignored' recommendation of Femi Otedola who is a member of GEJ's own economic team. Otedola stated that is was easy, if that is what the Nigerian government want, to block the avenues that facilitated the fuel subsidy scam which led to the theft of around $6.8 billion by crooked fuel marketers. Otedola advised that Nigeria, if we must import refined oil while trying to shore up domestic refining capacity, should simply enter into direct contract with foreign refineries and cut out scamming middlemen !!! The PDP refused to do this because many of the Party's bigwigs directly empower and collude with these criminal fuel marketers to loot Nigeria. Under Buhari, and as a powerful example of how to fight corruption, the General will simply direct that the system of using fuel marketers and middlemen be abolished so that transparent arrangement with respectable refineries be put in place to handle Nigeria's need.

These are merely two examples. There are many, many, many reforms a sincere leader, i.e Buhari, can put in place to defeat corruption which a corrupt and duplicitous leader , i.e GEJ, will always reject because of his need to benefit and 'eat' from a corruption-friendly environment.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

I’v Changed My Views About Jonathan – Fani-kayode / Would You Vote For Jonathan Now? / Why I’m Being Attacked Over Card Readers — Jega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.