Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Clarification About Condoms - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Clarification About Condoms (752 Views)

Men Pay Extra Money To Have Sex With Prostitutes In Abuja Without Condoms - FACA / UNFPA Distributes 53,000 Condoms At Calabar Christmas Village / The Facts About Condoms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clarification About Condoms by lumzybo: 6:37am On Feb 13, 2015
Hi everyone,
I woke up this morning, log on to Nairaland then I saw a thread on the frontpage about condoms. I was a little confused reason being that; in my years as a science researcher, the REAL reason behind the production of condoms was for "SAFESEX" i.e to avoid unwanted pregnancies between couples.
I wanna use 2 case studies 1. Sperm and 2. Virus.
Let's study the sizes of a sperm n that of virus. The former Is btw 2.5 to 3.5 microns. This Is believed the condoms can hold. But if we look at the later, it is far smaller compared to the sperm. We shld also understand that the condoms we are talking have PORES inbtw which is believed that a virus can pass through.

So please doctors / health workers in the house, I put this across to you, "does condoms prevent the transmission of viruses?"

Thanks
Re: Clarification About Condoms by fzero: 6:42am On Feb 13, 2015
Interesting
Re: Clarification About Condoms by Chuukwudi(m): 7:05am On Feb 13, 2015
I think the condom doesn't really prevent the transmission of viruses through a mechanical means. (that is, by literally preventing the viruses from passing). I think it through chemical means (it has a fluid in it which acts as an anti-virus/spermicide which supports the mechanical mechanism) .

My thoughts though, I'm an Engineer, not a Doc.
Re: Clarification About Condoms by lumzybo: 7:14am On Feb 13, 2015
Chuukwudi:
I think the condom doesn't really prevent the transmission of viruses through a mechanical means. (that is, by literally preventing the viruses from passing). I think it through chemical means[s](it has a fluid in it which acts as an anti-virus/spermicide which supports the mechanical mechanism) [/s]

My thoughts though, I'm an Engineer, not a Doc.

(1) (Reply)

Skin Care Issues Ask Me. / Only For Mentally Stable People. Only 4% Could Identify The Number Of faces / The Hidden Secret Behind Toothpaste Bottom Color

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.