Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,012 members, 7,835,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination (22329 Views)

Osinbajo And Obasanjo With Murtala Muhammed's Widow (Photo) / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) / Photo: Gen. Murtala Muhammed & His Wife Ajoke With Their Two Children In 1970 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by sucess001(m): 1:09pm On Feb 13, 2015
jacksparrow1207:

Thanks bruv. corrected.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
sucess001:

Thanks bruv. corrected.

MUCH LOVE
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by uzolexis(f): 1:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
teufelein:
[b]"An independent investigation into Biafran allegations of genocide was held, and it produced a report published in England on May 31st 1969.

The officer responsible for conducting the enquiry, Dr. Mensah, from Ghana, interviewed members of the International Observer Team and people serving in the administration on both sides.

Dr. Mensah concludes his report after many stipulations about the difficulty of proving mens rea, or genocidal intent, with these words: 'I am of the opinion that in many of the cases cited to me, hatred of the Biafrans and a wish to exterminate them was a foremost motivational factor.'

Methods of extermination listed by Dr. mensah included machine-gunning of all males of Biafran origin in newly captured towns; conscripting of younger Biafrans for use as cannon fodder; burial alive of children with their executed parents in mass graves (as Asaba); devastation of houses, farms and livestock in retreat; starvation; bombing and other methods which Dr. Mensah relates in those cases where he was able to verify incidents.
These include: mass executions by slitting of throats and the chopping of heads in the market place of newly captured towns; the killing of unborn babies by slitting open the stomachs of pregnant women; the plucking out of eyes from prisoners-of-war, and the skinning of live Biafrans."
------------Auberon Waugh & Suzanne Cronje (BIAFRA--Britain's Shame--pages113 & 114).[/b]

OMG shocked shocked !!!!
and pple call the Man who was responsible for one of the worse massacres in the history of Nigeria a hero....hero my foot angry

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by ceejay4real(m): 2:04pm On Feb 13, 2015
Murtala was a BARBARIAN 2 the core! His activities on the 29th of July, 1966 and in Asaba during the Genocidal Civil war can never be forgotten. He deserved what he got. Useless BASTAAARRRDDD!!!!!
Rot in Hell!!!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by KLand(m): 2:07pm On Feb 13, 2015
Redoil:
muhammed ramat murtala one of the first nigerian to decived the northerner. His grandfather was a trader who gave birth to ramat father in kano and ramat claim to hail from kano.
Ramat hails from agenebode a town popularly called bode which is not far from present day auchi.

I heard that too, though the person said MM was from AUCHI, not Bode as you said.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by korel9: 2:11pm On Feb 13, 2015
batstan:
The monumental NATIONAL THEARTER , iganmu -Lagos, was designed in the shape of his military cap.

Brother, if this is true then it surely is my greatest discovery since the beginning of. This year.

Thumbs up!

I really love history and will transfer this discovery to younger minds.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by VoteWisely: 2:14pm On Feb 13, 2015
#VoteWisely

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by zendy: 2:29pm On Feb 13, 2015
It beats my imagination that a man like Murtala Ramat Mohammed still has,not just a place of honour on the 20 Naira note, but also has an International Airport and many other landmarks named after him. How is this possible? Or is it that no one cares about history any more? How can such a controversial character still be accorded such recognition?
The sins of Murtala:

1] Led the counter coup and superviced the killing of over 300 fellow officers. Murtala led other northern elements (including the then Lt Buhari) to commit this murderous act in retaliation for what they tagged an "Igbo coup". For me,a coup plotter,wether Nzeogwu or Murutala has any place in history. It should also be noted that everyone who participated in the first coup were punished at the end of the war while Murutala and co who committed far worse atrocities got off scot-free.

2]Troops under Murtala's command committed genocide in Asaba when they entered the city at the start of the civil war. Over 700 defenceless civilians who came to welcome the federal troops were gunned down in cold blood. Wether this happend on Murutala's orders or not is immaterial. His troops killed people and he should bear responsibility for the conduct of his men.

3]Murtala,in direct contravention of orders and sound advice led thousands of Nigerian soldiers to their deaths trying to cross the river Niger (in 3 separate attempts) into Onitsha all in his vain attempt to increase his popularity. His troops would later be destroyed at Abagana and he was recalled from the war and sent to London while many of his men lay dead under the River Niger.

4]murtala came to represent the face of northern domination. He kicked out Gowon,seized power,retired everyone who was above him in rank and in one of the worst acts of military indecipline,he triple promoted himself from a one star Brigadier to a full 4 star General. Murutala was the first military officer to conduct a coup in other to take political power. Even Nzeogwu and co had no intention to take power for themselves.

Murtala Mohammed was a failed soldier,a sociopath,mass murderer and accomplished coup plotter. Because of him,many people needlessly died. My question is this. What is the face of such a despicable man doing on the 20 Naira note?

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by uzolexis(f): 2:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
lacasa:
God rest his soul in perfect peace.

Patriot!

you call someone that did all these a Patriot..... cry cry Nigeria my country, I weep for thee

zendy:
It beats my imagination that a man like Murtala Ramat Mohammed still has,not just a place of honour on the 20 Naira note, but also has an International Airport and many other landmarks named after him. How is this possible? Or is it that no one cares about history any more? How can such a controversial character still be accorded such recognition?
The sins of Murtala:
1] Led the counter coup and superviced the killing of over 300 fellow officers. Murtala led other northern elements (including the then Lt Buhari) to commit this murderous act in retaliation for what they tagged an "Igbo coup". For me,a coup plotter,wether Nzeogwu or Murutala has any place in history. It should also be noted that everyone who participated in the first coup were punished at the end of the war while Murutala and co who committed far worse atrocities got off scot-free.
2]Troops under Murtala's command committed genocide in Asaba when they entered the city at the start of the civil war. Over 700 defenceless civilians who came to welcome the federal troops were gunned down in cold blood. Wether this happend on Murutala's orders or not is immaterial. His troops killed people and he should bear responsibility for the conduct of his men.
3]Murtala,in direct contravention of orders and sound advice led thousands of Nigerian soldiers to their deaths trying to cross the river Niger (in 3 separate attempts) into Onitsha all in his vain attempt to increase his popularity. His troops would later be destroyed at Abagana and he was recalled from the war and sent to London while many of his men lay dead under the River Niger.
4]murtala came to represent the face of northern domination. He kicked out Gowon,seized power,retired everyone who was above him in rank and in one of the worst acts of military indecipline,he triple promoted himself from a one star Brigadier to a full 4 star General. Murutala was the first military officer to conduct a coup in other to take political power. Even Nzeogwu and co had no intention to take power for themselves.
Murtala Mohammed was a failed soldier,a sociopath,mass murderer and accomplished coup plotter. Because of him,many people needlessly died. My question is this. What is the face of such a despicable man doing on the 20 Naira note?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by zendy: 2:55pm On Feb 13, 2015
ceejay4real:
Murtala was a BARBARIAN 2 the core! His activities on the 29th of July, 1966 and in Asaba during the Genocidal Civil war can never be forgotten. He deserved what he got. Useless BASTAAARRRDDD!!!!!
Rot in Hell!!!

You're right! On that day,29th July 1966,Murtala and some of his 'hatchet men' like Buhari went around Lagos killing any Soldier of eastern origin they could find.While this was going on,TY Danjuma was in Ibadan supervising the torture and execution of Ironsi and Fajuyi. Remarkably today,the same Buhari and Danjuma who committed cold blooded murder of their fellow citizens are still running their mouth and are hailed in Nigerian soceity. Despicable men who have no place at the national level are still relevant. That's Naija for you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by makzeze: 3:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

And a mass murderer
YOU ARE VERY STUPID. BLOODY CIVILIAN....Col. Arinze, Army brigade Enugu
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by banky222: 3:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
Y was MM not bold enough to declare that he actually hailed frm Auchi in edo state? I need answers.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
makzeze:
YOU ARE VERY STUPID. BLOODY CIVILIAN....Col. Arinze, Army brigade Enugu

This is what you get when contraceptives fail.

2 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by neocortex: 5:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
There is nothing to celebrate in an ethnic bigot who instigated the civil war and killed people for gaming purpose.
The evil that men do live after them.

4 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by ACM10: 6:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
I wonder how some sections of Nigerians will feel if Igbos openly extol Abacha

4 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by DaBullIT(m): 7:56pm On Feb 13, 2015
What a sad story
But all I see is Rebels in Agbor and Asaba
If GEJ wasn't clueless Boko haram and massob and mend and BiafrA wouldn't be flexing muscles

While I do not advocate for violence, massacre or genocide, I think the message was passed across and everything remained calm for 45+ years

Arysexy:
LEST WE FORGET... THE GENOCIDE OF ASABA

October 7 will continue to be a date in Nigeria’s history; for the good cause, it was the day the first indigenous university in Africa, University of Nigeria Nsukka, opened its gates “to restore the dignity of man” in 1960.

Exactly on October 7, 1967, the federal troops under the command of Lt Col Murtala Ramat Mohammed committed the greatest genocide in Africa’s history. In a broadcast at Benin to signal what was to happen at Asaba on September 21, 1967, Lt Col Mohammed thundered, “I have already dispatched my forces to deal with the rebels around Agbor and Asaba”. Little wonder why Igbo women were raped, children maimed, pregnant women raped and their pregnancies disemboweled from Benin, Agbor, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Uku with the grand finale been the butchering of over 2000 defenseless men and male children who had rolled out their drums to rejoice with the federal troops for recapturing Asaba from Biafran forces at St Patrick’s College area of Asaba by Lt Col Mohammed’s troop for alleged “Biafra sympathy”. All these happened in total disregard to the Geneva Convention and federal directive issued by the then Nigeria’s HOS, Major-General Yakubu Gowon.

In the words of 58 years old eye witness, Ifeanyi Uraih, who was a resident of Asaba then with his nine siblings and parents, “I cannot tell this story without tears in my eyes, but I have no bitterness in my heart… They ordered everyone to come out to the town square… They were honest with us. They told us they were going to kill us. They took us to the mounted machine guns. Then it dawned on us that it was true. I was standing with my older brother at the edge of the crowd. He was holding my hand. He had always taken care of me. We shared the same bed. He was the first to be dragged away by the soldiers. He let go of my hand and pushed me into the crowd. He was shot in the back. I could see the blood gushing from his back. He was the first victim of the massacre. Then all hell let loose. I lost count of time. To this day, I live with the smell of the blood of my brethren that night. Even the heavens wept for the victims of this holocaust. Finally the bullets stopped.” Luckily Uraih made it alive because the bodies of the people who were killed fell and buffered him.

It is indeed 45 years today but the wound is still fresh. According to Chinelo Egwuatu, another survivor of the Murtala’s genocide, “We can forgive but we should never, ever forget… There is no way you can bring the people back, but you can at least acknowledge that it happened.” Special thanks to the University of Florida Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies and its team of researchers ably led by Erin H. Kimmerle, Professors Elizabeth Si Bird and Fraser Ottanelli who have elected to “break the silence, honour the dead, develop a historic record of the event and secure funding to build the permanent memorial” for the victims of the genocide.

For us, we must take up the mantle and bring to the fore-burner of international discourse, the atrocities of the 1967-70 genocide of the Nigerian state against ndigbo; today, Awolowo’s starvation policy is the centre stage of our national debate courtesy of Prof Chinua Achebe; how about the Oguta blood bazaar superintended by Olusegun Obasanjo? Have we forgotten about the Onitsha 300 burnt in the Apostolic by Murtala and the activities of Benjamin Adekunle, Shehu Yar’Adua, Ibrahim Taiwo, Jalo, Sani Abacha, etc during the genocide the government of Nigeria continues to call “civil war?”

On the part of the Federal Government, it is time we put this ugly part of our history permanently behind us by giving the dead a deserving state burial and proper apologies rendered to the surviving families of these great Nigerians, whose blood were wasted by bloodlust and hate-mongering soldiers. Anything less is begging the question and it behooves us all as Nigerians to seek justice for the dead. BY Okafor C. Udoka

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Angoni(m): 8:05pm On Feb 13, 2015
He who lives by the sword dies by the sword. How many this rabid dog killed at Asaba?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
IbnSultaan:
General Murtala Ramat Muhammed (November
8, 1938–February 13, 1976) was a military ruler
(Head of the Federal Military Government) of
Nigeria from 1975 until his assassination in 1976.
Murtala Muhammed was killed, aged 37, along with
his aide-de-camp, Lieutenant Akintunde
Akinsehinwa, on February 13, 1976 in an abortive
coup attempt led by Lt. Col Buka Suka Dimka, when
his car was ambushed while en route his office at
Dodan Barracks, Lagos. He was succeeded by the
Chief of Staff, Supreme HQ Olusegun Obasanjo,
who completed his plan of an orderly transfer to
civilian rule by handing power to Shehu Shagari on October 1, 1979.

Except that vision was shortlived, hijacked by a power monger.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by jerrymej(m): 8:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
So go die, another ones go come to!

Hey Naija! We 've a long way to go before it 'll be better for us oo.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by teufelein(f): 8:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
ATTENTION!!! INDIGENOUS PEOPLE OF BIAFRA (IPOB) FRIENDS OF BIAFRA(FOB) AND ENEMIES OF BIAFRA(EOB).......
THE PM EDITION OF RADIO BIAFRA LIVE BROADCAST IS ON NOW!!!....WITH OUR EMINENT HOST Nnamdi Kanu FROM LONDON. Pls note that there will be no interruption, as director decided to make a short trip to london just to resolve the technical challenges encountered this past few days. You can Listen to the broadcast via any of the following listening post: for those living in Aba, Onitsha, PH, Owerri, Nwangele, Nkwerre, Ntigha, Orlu, Igweocha, oraifite, Ihiala, Asaba, Ibusa, Ideato, ozubulu, Nnewi, Etiti, Okigwe, Mbano, Ngwa and its environ tune in to CHk 97.6 biafra FM ......for others living outside this locations, ON TUNEIN SEARCH FOR radio biafra, www.biafrarestoration.com, http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Biafra-s225376/
http://www.radioforest.net/radio/radio-biafra/688339
http://www.radioforest.net/radio/rbl-world/745050
www.biafratv.co www.forum.radiobiafra.co, radiobiafra.co, ipob.org, www.biafravoice.com,rblworld.tv, indigenouspeopleofbiafra.org, rbl www.peopleofbiafra.org, also on AMOS 5 17°E SATELLITE, EUTELSAT, ARABSAT and DAARSAT or any free to air decoder .....Numbers to call during broadcast are +442081339976, +2348059098137, +2348168613291,and radiobiafra1 and radiobiafra for skype .....Director's effort is relentless as he and fellow hard core biafrans are working earnestly to ensure that other parts of biafra land starts listening via FM as well.... ‪#‎UDO‬
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 10:14pm On Feb 13, 2015
ToyozzieTohBad:
How can we progress when goats like this are sharing our oxygen
wid an included daft like u baa? must u insult tu corect?.kus ma post neva referred tu d late Gen.
angry jeeeez
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by leomunch22(m): 11:51am On Feb 22, 2015
[/b]His
Death is a celebration,I guess dat *where ma second meat abeg#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 Presidency: What Peter Obi Did To Me In 2014 – Gov. El-rufai / National Assembly Turning Into ‘gentlemen Club’ – Tinubu / Otuekong Idongesit Nkanga Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (Ex Governor Akwa Ibom)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.