Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,948 members, 7,835,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination (22328 Views)

Osinbajo And Obasanjo With Murtala Muhammed's Widow (Photo) / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) / Photo: Gen. Murtala Muhammed & His Wife Ajoke With Their Two Children In 1970 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 13, 2015
batstan:
The monumental NATIONAL THEARTER , iganmu -Lagos, was designed in the shape of his military cap.

Interesting.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by adami: 11:14am On Feb 13, 2015
sucess001:
[size=24pt]Pardon me if i am wrong but i read somewhere that he was temperamental and under his watch and Command, the Asaba massacre took place...how true is this...?

Also read about how he was disobedient to gowon's government and led an disastrous attack on onitcha during the civil war...[/size]

very true...those who live by the sword will die by the sword or in his case bullets.....may he RIP though

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by eagleeye2: 11:15am On Feb 13, 2015
A fine gentleman who supervised the Asaba Massacre. Indeed any man can redeem himself, as General Buhari is about to do.
Sai One Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Gozzzy(m): 11:16am On Feb 13, 2015
Gozzzy:
Dimka, then Lieutenant with the Nigerian Military Training College in Kaduna, was one of the many officers of northern Nigerian origin (including Lt Colonel Murtala Muhammed (coup leader who Dimka would ironically conspire against and murder 10 years later), 2nd Lieutenant Sani Abacha, Lieutenant Muhammadu Buhari, Lieutenant Ibrahim Bako, Lieutenant Ibrahim Babangida, and Major Theophilus Danjuma among others), who staged what became known as the Nigerian Counter-Coup of 1966 because of grievances[3] they felt towards the administration of General Aguiyi Ironsi's government which quelled the January 15, 1966 coup. Dimka along with Lieutenant Dambo are alleged to have shot and killed Lieutenant Colonel Michael Okoro, Commander of the 3rd Battalion during the July mutiny.[4] Another act of notoriety from the July mutiny was Dimka's pursuit and probable intent to murder his Brigade Major (Samuel Ogbemudia). Before the mutiny, Major Ogbemudia had detained Lieutenant Dimka for violating an order forbidding unauthorized troop movement. Under interrogation by Ogemudia, Dimka complained of ethnic victimization and was subsequently released by Ogbemudia.[5] Vexed by Ogbemudia's treatment of him, Dimka hatched a plot to kill Major Ogbemudia. Fortunately, Ogbemudia was tipped off by Major Abba Kyari and Colonel Hassan Katsina who provided an escape Landrover armed with an SMG gun. Dimka marshaled a group of northern soldiers who pursued Ogbemudia (sometimes shooting) all the way from Kaduna to Owo, Ondo State where Ogbemudia abandonded his Landrover (which had run out of fuel) and scaled a 6 foot fence into a dense jungle to escape Dimka and his soldiers.[4]
Bloody bastarrd murderer called murtala mohammed killed by his co murderer!!!!!!! Buhari isnt left out in the Aguiyi Ironsi murder! Amadioha will soon visit buhari too!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 13, 2015
All this was what was told to us by the real covert palace coupist Thief Obasanjo and Evil Babangida.
bushdoc9919:

IBB was a mid level officer in 1976...and hardly up there in the thrones of power.

As for the reasons for the coup...

Mind you...the author of the above quote is Max Silioun....who is no fan of IBB.(read his book on Millitary rule in Nigeria from 1983-93 where he really takes on IBB).
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 13, 2015
GenBuhari:
All this was what was told to us by the real covert palace coupist Thief Obasanjo and Evil Babangida.

General...how now?

As I told someone else...my source for the above quote was Max Silioum....who was no fan of IBB at all.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by rashygenius: 11:21am On Feb 13, 2015
Burger01:
I thought they will say it was Buhari that assassinated him. His car was riddled with bullets. A fine soldier he was.
U just want to link evrytin to buhari...haba

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Burger01(m): 11:22am On Feb 13, 2015
rashygenius:
U just want to link evrytin to buhari...haba
Not me brother. Its been the trend from the saTANoids and I thought they will link Buhari to d assassination cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by uzolexis(f): 11:23am On Feb 13, 2015
Infact, I have vexed....why do we honour criminals in Nigeria?? Murtala is lucky he is dead otherwise he would have been in ICC for crimes against humanity,he was a mass murderer.....though when he was d military leader he did well.....but his sins can't be forgotten, I have read accts from survivors and what he did was evil and inhuman.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by PBundles(m): 11:25am On Feb 13, 2015
Arysexy:
LEST WE FORGET... THE GENOCIDE OF ASABA
October 7 will continue to be a date in Nigeria’s history; for the good cause, it was the day the first indigenous university in Africa, University of Nigeria Nsukka, opened its gates “to restore the dignity of man” in 1960.
Exactly on October 7, 1967, the federal troops under the command of Lt Col Murtala Ramat Mohammed committed the greatest genocide in Africa’s history. In a broadcast at Benin to signal what was to happen at Asaba on September 21, 1967, Lt Col Mohammed thundered, “I have already dispatched my forces to deal with the rebels around Agbor and Asaba”. Little wonder why Igbo women were raped, children maimed, pregnant women raped and their pregnancies disemboweled from Benin, Agbor, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Uku with the grand finale been the butchering of over 2000 defenseless men and male children who had rolled out their drums to rejoice with the federal troops for recapturing Asaba from Biafran forces at St Patrick’s College area of Asaba by Lt Col Mohammed’s troop for alleged “Biafra sympathy”. All these happened in total disregard to the Geneva Convention and federal directive issued by the then Nigeria’s HOS, Major-General Yakubu Gowon.
In the words of 58 years old eye witness, Ifeanyi Uraih, who was a resident of Asaba then with his nine siblings and parents, “I cannot tell this story without tears in my eyes, but I have no bitterness in my heart… They ordered everyone to come out to the town square… They were honest with us. They told us they were going to kill us. They took us to the mounted machine guns. Then it dawned on us that it was true. I was standing with my older brother at the edge of the crowd. He was holding my hand. He had always taken care of me. We shared the same bed. He was the first to be dragged away by the soldiers. He let go of my hand and pushed me into the crowd. He was shot in the back. I could see the blood gushing from his back. He was the first victim of the massacre. Then all hell let loose. I lost count of time. To this day, I live with the smell of the blood of my brethren that night. Even the heavens wept for the victims of this holocaust. Finally the bullets stopped.” Luckily Uraih made it alive because the bodies of the people who were killed fell and buffered him.
It is indeed 45 years today but the wound is still fresh. According to Chinelo Egwuatu, another survivor of the Murtala’s genocide, “We can forgive but we should never, ever forget… There is no way you can bring the people back, but you can at least acknowledge that it happened.” Special thanks to the University of Florida Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies and its team of researchers ably led by Erin H. Kimmerle, Professors Elizabeth Si Bird and Fraser Ottanelli who have elected to “break the silence, honour the dead, develop a historic record of the event and secure funding to build the permanent memorial” for the victims of the genocide.
For us, we must take up the mantle and bring to the fore-burner of international discourse, the atrocities of the 1967-70 genocide of the Nigerian state against ndigbo; today, Awolowo’s starvation policy is the centre stage of our national debate courtesy of Prof Chinua Achebe; how about the Oguta blood bazaar superintended by Olusegun Obasanjo? Have we forgotten about the Onitsha 300 burnt in the Apostolic by Murtala and the activities of Benjamin Adekunle, Shehu Yar’Adua, Ibrahim Taiwo, Jalo, Sani Abacha, etc during the genocide the government of Nigeria continues to call “civil war?”
On the part of the Federal Government, it is time we put this ugly part of our history permanently behind us by giving the dead a deserving state burial and proper apologies rendered to the surviving families of these great Nigerians, whose blood were wasted by bloodlust and hate-mongering soldiers. Anything less is begging the question and it behooves us all as Nigerians to seek justice for the dead. BY Okafor C. Udoka

And thus, what we shall ALL reap what we sow. This story is so VERY true. My grandfather was shot in Agbor (though he didnt die) while in his car during these massacres. Most of the people he killed didnt even side or know the biafran soldier. My Granddad was actually partly Ika (Bendel ibo) and partly benin/yoruba.

I have no PITY he was riddled with bullets, he got what he dished out to innocent people ( kids and old folks). If this were soldiers it still wouldnt be fair but I could see the anger. But because he was NOT a good leader/soldier ( its been proven he had difficulties with the Biafran soldiers) he decide to take this out on innocent souls. For those who say he would have been a great leader, WHY, because he pretended to be of the people. He was also very wicked, known for having a mean streak an HIGHLY tribalistic.

I bet he is burning in hell now. wink

10 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Gozzzy(m): 11:29am On Feb 13, 2015
Arysexy:

October 7 will continue to be a date in Nigeria’s history; for the good cause, it was the day the first indigenous university in Africa, University of Nigeria Nsukka, opened its gates “to restore the dignity of man” in 1960.

Exactly on October 7, 1967, the federal troops under the command of Lt Col Murtala Ramat Mohammed committed the greatest genocide in Africa’s history. In a broadcast at Benin to signal what was to happen at Asaba on September 21, 1967, Lt Col Mohammed thundered, “I have already dispatched my forces to deal with the rebels around Agbor and Asaba”. Little wonder why Igbo women were raped, children maimed, pregnant women raped and their pregnancies disemboweled from Benin, Agbor, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Uku with the grand finale been the butchering of over 2000 defenseless men and male children who had rolled out their drums to rejoice with the federal troops for recapturing Asaba from Biafran forces at St Patrick’s College area of Asaba by Lt Col Mohammed’s troop for alleged “Biafra sympathy”. All these happened in total disregard to the Geneva Convention and federal directive issued by the then Nigeria’s HOS, Major-General Yakubu Gowon.

In the words of 58 years old eye witness, Ifeanyi Uraih, who was a resident of Asaba then with his nine siblings and parents, “I cannot tell this story without tears in my eyes, but I have no bitterness in my heart… They ordered everyone to come out to the town square… They were honest with us. They told us they were going to kill us. They took us to the mounted machine guns. Then it dawned on us that it was true. I was standing with my older brother at the edge of the crowd. He was holding my hand. He had always taken care of me. We shared the same bed. He was the first to be dragged away by the soldiers. He let go of my hand and pushed me into the crowd. He was shot in the back. I could see the blood gushing from his back. He was the first victim of the massacre. Then all hell let loose. I lost count of time. To this day, I live with the smell of the blood of my brethren that night. Even the heavens wept for the victims of this holocaust. Finally the bullets stopped.” Luckily Uraih made it alive because the bodies of the people who were killed fell and buffered him.

It is indeed 45 years today but the wound is still fresh. According to Chinelo Egwuatu, another survivor of the Murtala’s genocide, “We can forgive but we should never, ever forget… There is no way you can bring the people back, but you can at least acknowledge that it happened.” Special thanks to the University of Florida Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies and its team of researchers ably led by Erin H. Kimmerle, Professors Elizabeth Si Bird and Fraser Ottanelli who have elected to “break the silence, honour the dead, develop a historic record of the event and secure funding to build the permanent memorial” for the victims of the genocide.

For us, we must take up the mantle and bring to the fore-burner of international discourse, the atrocities of the 1967-70 genocide of the Nigerian state against ndigbo; today, Awolowo’s starvation policy is the centre stage of our national debate courtesy of Prof Chinua Achebe; how about the Oguta blood bazaar superintended by Olusegun Obasanjo? Have we forgotten about the Onitsha 300 burnt in the Apostolic by Murtala and the activities of Benjamin Adekunle, Shehu Yar’Adua, Ibrahim Taiwo, Jalo, Sani Abacha, etc during the genocide the government of Nigeria continues to call “civil war?”

On the part of the Federal Government, it is time we put this ugly part of our history permanently behind us by giving the dead a deserving state burial and proper apologies rendered to the surviving families of these great Nigerians, whose blood were wasted by bloodlust and hate-mongering soldiers. Anything less is begging the question and it behooves us all as Nigerians to seek justice for the dead. BY Okafor C. Udoka
May his soul, abacha, shehu yar adua, even the demon obasanjo and old the bastaards involved in the genocide against Igbos, forever never find peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by United4lyf(m): 11:32am On Feb 13, 2015
Redoil:
muhammed ramat murtala one of the first nigerian to decived the northerner. His grandfather was a trader who gave birth to ramat father in kano and ramat claim to hail from kano.
Ramat hails from agenebode a town popularly called bode which is not far from present day auchi.
so what?his father was born in kano,he was also born in kano. Do you think he has another home than kano?this is one of our biggest problem in nigeria,we're too consumed with tribalism.

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by rollydex: 11:35am On Feb 13, 2015
despite ruling for only about 200 days,yet on fo the best if not the best Nigerian leader.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by lacasa: 11:38am On Feb 13, 2015
God rest his soul in perfect peace.

Patriot!
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by tibro(m): 11:39am On Feb 13, 2015
He is a true leader and not those that
murdered Democracy without any reason
other than their selfish lust for power which
is still dragging them today.
Nature has away of fitting things,
that is why i know that those that murdered
Democracy in the past will never seat on its
throne till they give up t he ghost.
insha Allah. grin

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by PBundles(m): 11:39am On Feb 13, 2015
Arysexy:

And people wonder why people of the south have this bitterness towards the North. One question: It has been documented these travesties done to the South....but can someone tell me when the South has been guilty of such genocide? when or where have you heard the opposite being done. And dont give me the 1966 BS, those were soldiers.

For the record, as I have mentioned before, my linage is vast, paternal Benin/Yoruba/Ika(bendel ibo), maternal North and Ibo. I consider myself lucky felling 100% Nigerian!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by kettykin: 11:44am On Feb 13, 2015
United4lyf:
so what?his father was born in kano,he was also born in kano. Do you think he has another home than kano?this is one of our biggest problem in nigeria,we're too consumed with tribalism.
So if the same man was born in Lagos and gave birth to the same murtala Muhammed in Lagos would that have made murtala Muhammed a lagosian

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 13, 2015
So what?
Does it mean that because he did not accuse IBB means the coup was not carried out by Thief O and IBB?
bushdoc9919:

General...how now?

As I told someone else...my source for the above quote was Max Silioum....who was no fan of IBB at all.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by emeka2847: 11:48am On Feb 13, 2015
Redoil:
muhammed ramat murtala one of the first nigerian to decived the northerner. His grandfather was a trader who gave birth to ramat father in kano and ramat claim to hail from kano.
Ramat hails from agenebode a town popularly called bode which is not far from present day auchi.
So even a dead man will get some bigotic attacks from agents of divisive campaign.
God save us.

2 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by adenine02: 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

And a mass murderer

3 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by litem234(m): 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2015
m.m was a war criminal. ...he stood by while genocide and rape occurred in asaba and other eastern states....he got wat he deserve. ....if u kill by the sword. ...you will die by the sword. ...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Hash86(m): 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2015
Anasko:
May his gentle soul Rest in Jannaatul Firdaus
Ameen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Viktor1983(m): 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

And a mass murderer

2 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by kendological(m): 12:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
he got what he deserved! remember all the men, women and children he killed in Asaba. Rest in hell Murtala!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by thaoriginator: 12:20pm On Feb 13, 2015
Jealous Igbos orchestrated this man's death, it's a pity. I love you sir, Rest In Peace!

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by austinbrown: 12:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
Funny how nobody remembers Ironsi

3 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 12:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
How can we progress when goats like this are sharing our oxygen
gladpresh:
hero(ein) undecided

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by kingjohnny(m): 12:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP Muritala Muhammed. Your legacies still counts on
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by dayjee: 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2015
I respect this man.
Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by LazyShylock: 12:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
Those who live by the sword, die by the sword. Or in this case, the gun.

1 Like

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
martynsnet:
At age 37 see how much he had achieved? I also noticed younger people were in power and influential positions back then. the then Governor of Rivers State, Chief Spiff was in his 20's, my question now is, what seemed to have pushed up the achievement age.

One seldom see young people doing well, a man in his 20's is likely still in Uni. What is happening my people?
The number of educated people back then were very few so it was easy for a young educated person to rise to the top. But today a large chunk of the population is now educated and there has been no economic progress to accommodate the surge in educated young people, so competition for the fewer opportunities is very stiff. That's why you can easily find a 40 year old still struggling to become successful.

3 Likes

Re: Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination by teufelein(f): 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
[b]"An independent investigation into Biafran allegations of genocide was held, and it produced a report published in England on May 31st 1969.

The officer responsible for conducting the enquiry, Dr. Mensah, from Ghana, interviewed members of the International Observer Team and people serving in the administration on both sides.

Dr. Mensah concludes his report after many stipulations about the difficulty of proving mens rea, or genocidal intent, with these words: 'I am of the opinion that in many of the cases cited to me, hatred of the Biafrans and a wish to exterminate them was a foremost motivational factor.'

Methods of extermination listed by Dr. mensah included machine-gunning of all males of Biafran origin in newly captured towns; conscripting of younger Biafrans for use as cannon fodder; burial alive of children with their executed parents in mass graves (as Asaba); devastation of houses, farms and livestock in retreat; starvation; bombing and other methods which Dr. Mensah relates in those cases where he was able to verify incidents.
These include: mass executions by slitting of throats and the chopping of heads in the market place of newly captured towns; the killing of unborn babies by slitting open the stomachs of pregnant women; the plucking out of eyes from prisoners-of-war, and the skinning of live Biafrans."
------------Auberon Waugh & Suzanne Cronje (BIAFRA--Britain's Shame--pages113 & 114).[/b]

5 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All APC Governors Absent As Buhari Chairs Inaugural Meeting Of Campaign Council / Nigerians Compare Buhari And Trump's Thoughts On Education / Nigeria Diaspora Commission Reacts To Renewed Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.