Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,212 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? (38994 Views)

Buhari Writes NASS, Seeks To Borrow $5.851bn For Railway Projects / FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others / Revealed: Majority Of Those Who Returned Looted Money Are APC – Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 11:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
agabaI23:
And you think the same consideration is not applicable to Kaduna-Abuja rail?

Stop trying too hard my friend. Are you a civil engineer? have you seen the bill of quantities for each of those particular projects? do you know a bridge over water and one over a canyon or mountainous terrain will cost very differently?

I'm not making any conclusions my friend and i advise you don't draw any too. It's childish to want to compare based on newspaper clips. Kaduna-Abuja is probably over land while lagos will probably pass over a lagoon. They'll have very varied cost elements. They are 2 different projects. Also what kind of vehicles or coaches are being procured for each?

1 Like

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Confuciusng(m): 11:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
Do you know that the Amaechi and Fashola light rail are at an elevated altitude therefore propped by pillars which will undoubtedly increase it's cost?
Have you considered other logistics?

compensation? Shipping of materials? lands? etal?

How can you calculate based on KM only? Not saying that the project wasn't over-bloated though

Hahahaha Jesus, na wa o. Guy abeg read wetin you write again with a straight face. 4km compared to more than 150km, dude you are talking about elevation, then you finally agreed tht the cost must have been "corrupt", in a manner of speaking. Some Nigerians are so gullible. Nigerians really deserve the garbage they get as leaders.

1 Like

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by mandax: 11:29pm On Feb 13, 2015
Matthewbriggs:
Can APC Explain This...

Below is Addis Ababa light rail commissioned recently. It covers 46 Km and cost $475 Million (N 71.2 Billion) .
>> http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/urban/single-view/view/addis-ababa-light-rail-test-running-begins.html

(Goodluck Jonathan) Abuja-Kaduna standard guage rail project to commence operation in March 2015 covers 187.5km . It cost (N 80 Billion).
>>http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/abuja-kaduna-rail-line-delivered-dec-fg/

(Ameachi of APC) Port Harcourt Mono Rail date of completion unknown, covers 4Km and has gulped (N 150 Billion).
>> http://businessdayonline.com/2013/05/rivers-n150bn-monorail-project-to-be-completed-2015/

(Fashola of Lagos) Lagos Light Rail date of completion unknown, covers 57Km and has consumed (N 160 billion Billion)
>> http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-how-we-spent-n160bn-world-bank-loan-on-light-rail-project/188736/

Who are the thieves? Who are the looters? Who are we suppose to sweep out of office?

Guy, write whatever u want, publish whatever list of Jonathan govt accomplishments, even if the list touches the sky, those ignoramuses and selfish people who want Jonathan out of Aso Rock cannot change. For wanting to bring a man like Buhari to rule Nigeria, HATRED for Jonathan and HATRED for some people he places in high position in his govt are in the details.

Those who want Buhari - the barcanistas and co. - have chosen the devil's alternative, nothing can change them unless Jonathan with his crew leaves Aso Rock.

It is not politics of achievements in Nigeria, it is crude tribal politics at play.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by chronique(m): 11:29pm On Feb 13, 2015
You call that self deception? Jeez!!! Now I know you're not being sincere to yourself and the numerous people who might look up to you for info. I now know where to class you when classifying APC supporters.
barcanista:
Leave the OP to his self deception. I had expected him to consider other factors in his myopic writeup
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by naijadjpool: 11:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
I am not an advocate for any of the states concerned but it will not be right to think of the population,land value and the economy of the Nigerian states you are comparing with Ethiopia, Ethiopia is like a 5th world country.And is FG paying compensations?,where houses affected on FG's projects?.The value of the property affected in Lagos State would be more than those in PH and Ethiopia.We should try and reason logically and not with sentiments.

N.B
Please and please don't ever compare Nigeria with Ethiopia in any ways.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by success9(m): 11:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
thev0ice1:

i noticed this on the Addis Ababa project

Huawei supplied telecoms and fare collection equipment, while CNR Changchun has supplied 41 three-section 70% low-floor light rail vehicles. These are designed to run in pairs at up to 70 km/h, and have tinted windows and rubber components specified to resist premature aging from the effects of strong sunlight at altitudes of 2 400 m.

Note the bolded portion. How many vehicles are included in the FG project? it's not indicated in the Vanguard write up

Also while i DO NOT agree with the monorail project of Ameachi because i think it'll achieve little in terms of number of people that it'll be able to transport (i stayed in PH and have seen it), the cost varies depending on which news outlet you wish to quote e.g see what Thisday said http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ameachi-n74bn-rivers-monorail-ready-by-sept/139562/

For the lagos light rail, i don't really know anything about it as i don't stay in lagos hence can't give on-the-spot assessment as i can give about that of PH. However, we need to know if it's on the ground like the FG project or if it's at an elevated altitude therefore propped by pillars like Amaechi's project which will undoubtedly increase it's cost.

A lot of factors to bring into the discussion but whatever, i DO NOT support waste of resources.

That of Lagos is at an elevated altitude with a sizable portion over the Lagos lagoon...
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
chronique:
You call that self deception? Jeez!!! Now I know you're not being sincere to yourself and the numerous people who might look up to you for info. I now know where to class you when classifying APC supporters.
I was clear when I said "THE PROJECTS COULD BE OVERBLOATED". You can class whatever you like, but I don't reach conclusion based on emotion but fact. Thanks
'
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by maestroferddi: 11:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
aresa:
@ OP, the projects you listed are all different from standard railway to light rail, metro rail and mono rail in different environment and different cost of labor and material.

Eko Rail has tons overhead bridges, metro stations, metro rail bridge over the Lagoon to marina, IPPs to power the whole system and so on

Fingers are not equal so quit peddling ignorant tales.... Grow up and stop thinking like a 2 year old...
Enters the APC parakeet and camp follower...

Over-inflated contracts are common denominators of APC governments across the country.

From Fashola's astronomical rail lines and multi-billion per kilometre roads to Amosun's ultra-expensive overland bridges and yet to Amaechi's charades in Rivers.

Hypocrisy defines APC...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 11:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
success9:

That of Lagos is at an elevated altitude with a sizable portion over the Lagos lagoon...

This obviously must have a sizable effect on it's cost
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by appini: 11:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
kennydee05:
Their is no major construction of rail line done by GEJ. What he did were rehabilitation of the rail line and their is no way that will cost much compare to those that are doing the major construction like the one being Fashola is doing.
GEJ only did some weldering of the tail line.
Don't get it twisted bro

May God have mercy on you.
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
Confuciusng:

Hahahaha Jesus, na wa o. Guy abeg read wetin you write again with a straight face. 4km compared to more than 150km, dude you are talking about elevation. Some Nigerians are so gullible. Nigerians really deserve the garbage they get as leaders.
I was clear when I said "THE PROJECTS COULD BE OVERBLOATED". but I don't reach conclusion based on emotion but fact. Thanks
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 11:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
maestroferddi:
Enters the APC parakeet and camp follower...

Over-inflated contracts are common denominators of APC governments across the country.

From Fashola's astronomical rail lines and multi-billion per kilometre roads to Amosun's ultra-expensive overland bridges and yet to Amaechi's charades in Rivers.

Hypocrisy defines APC...

and you can from your keyboard absolve PDP govts of non-inflation of contracts?
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by blesie: 11:36pm On Feb 13, 2015
as we the lagos rail is not even 30% completed. fashola after 8 years is telling us that he failed to built d rail or complete it cos of gej. now pls somebody explain to me how gej haulted fashola from building or vompleting the rail he promised
thev0ice1:

i noticed this on the Addis Ababa project

Huawei supplied telecoms and fare collection equipment, while CNR Changchun has supplied 41 three-section 70% low-floor light rail vehicles. These are designed to run in pairs at up to 70 km/h, and have tinted windows and rubber components specified to resist premature aging from the effects of strong sunlight at altitudes of 2 400 m.

Note the bolded portion. How many vehicles are included in the FG project? it's not indicated in the Vanguard write up

Also while i DO NOT agree with the monorail project of Ameachi because i think it'll achieve little in terms of number of people that it'll be able to transport (i stayed in PH and have seen it), the cost varies depending on which news outlet you wish to quote e.g see what Thisday said http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ameachi-n74bn-rivers-monorail-ready-by-sept/139562/

For the lagos light rail, i don't really know anything about it as i don't stay in lagos hence can't give on-the-spot assessment as i can give about that of PH. However, we need to know if it's on the ground like the FG project or if it's at an elevated altitude therefore propped by pillars like Amaechi's project which will undoubtedly increase it's cost.

A lot of factors to bring into the discussion but whatever, i DO NOT support waste of resources.

1 Like

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Vello(m): 11:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

Jaybee if it was GEJ the first thing you would do is shout he is corrupt, he is clueless. You never give him the benefit of doubt like you do to you pseudo agents of change. etc ... here you are rushing to make excuses for clear case of corruption and gross mis-management of funds.

What cheap score are u looking for here. Jaybee(GOD bless him) casually pointed you the way but ur stupid hatred for CHANGE wouldn't let you see it. Gej's built locomotive rail tracks traversing jungles and no man's land but Amaechi built his within cities and necessitated demolitions and compensations where necessary(litigations also inclusive). Same goes for Fashola but on a more grand scale. How much then, you tell me, is land sold in these places compared to jungle. Should you continue thinking with your stomach any further, I'll be left with on choice than conclude you've never been to Lagos not to mention seeing the rail tracks you're ranting about.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by agabaI23(m): 11:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
thev0ice1:

Stop trying too hard my friend. Are you a civil engineer? have you seen the bill of quantities for each of those particular projects? do you know a bridge over water and one over a canyon or mountainous terrain will cost very differently?

I'm not making any conclusions my friend and i advise you don't draw any too. It's childish to want to compare based on newspaper clips. Kaduna-Abuja is probably over land while lagos will probably pass over a lagoon. They'll have very varied cost elements. They are 2 different projects. Also what kind of vehicles or coaches are being procured for each?

The portion completed sir does not include the lagoon crossing, does it. So far we are talking about the overland portion and it can be compared. You are the one try rather harder to excuse corruption.

This project has been on since 2009 and there is no end in sight. Have you considered that also?

Lagos generates 75% of its annual budget+plus oil money. What is holding that project my friend?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by maestroferddi: 11:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
thev0ice1:

and you can from your keyboard absolve PDP govts of non-inflation of contracts?
Politicians are intrinsically corrupt and devious.

The problem we have is when a gang congregates in the APC and begin to insult our intelligence with a claim of being crusaders of anti-corruption.

From Buhari to Jonathan, one feature encapsulates them:avarice and self-centredness.

I refuse to be gullible...

1 Like

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by mandax: 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
I was clear when I said "THE PROJECTS COULD BE OVERBLOATED". You can class whatever you like, but I don't reach conclusion based on emotion but fact. Thanks
'

Who is even afraid of a president Buhari? Did you observe the crude manner Buhari waved off an Oyibo journalist two days ago, as Buhari arrogantly said: "what is Boko Haram?"- and walked away from the Oyibo, leaving the Oyibo journalist perplexed?

Buhari is not even president yet, but he is already behaving above norm because he senses there are more supporters for him now than before; therefore, make Buhari president of Nigeria this time, Idi Amin shall be better dictator than Buhari.

The southsouth of the barcanistas shall be the first victims of an imagined Buhari crude presidency, mark it today.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by chi4ik(m): 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

Jaybee if it was GEJ the first thing you would do is shout he is corrupt, he is clueless. You never give him the benefit of doubt like you do to you pseudo agents of change. etc ... here you are rushing to make excuses for clear case of corruption and gross mis-management of funds.

you are d one that is clueless not GEJ.
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by IGBOSON1: 11:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
Kenai:
Picture of Amaechi as he commissions the ultra-modern monorail.

APC is working.
Change is coming.

^^^Everyone's ignoring the elephant in the room on the tracks! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by mbaboy(m): 11:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
It is obvious that the change apc clamor for is just a mirage,as for me I will stick with the one apc call clueless that is dealing with them now than to follow these criminals atiku abubakar,amaechi,owelle rochas,tinibu ahmed,saraki,abdullahi adamu,and their grand master mohammadu buhari(forged certificate and committed pejury).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by blesie: 11:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
oga when will this your eko rail be ready. gej hv delivered it in 4 years. fashola cant deliver in 8 years n pls note. its eko rail n gej own is abuja kaduna rail. did you get the length?
aresa:
@ OP, the projects you listed are all different from standard railway to light rail, metro rail and mono rail in different environment and different cost of labor and material.

Eko Rail has tons overhead bridges, metro stations, metro rail bridge over the Lagoon to marina, IPPs to power the whole system and so on

Fingers are not equal so quit peddling ignorant tales.... Grow up and stop thinking like a 2 year old...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by solarview(m): 11:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
White007:
If there is any reason that makes a Jonathan re-election even more imperative, it is the fact that Nigeria’s opposition party, the APC looked at Nigeria and went into the graves of our nation’s painful past to exhume their candidate. There is nothing new that Buhari is bringing to the table in 2015 that Jonathan did not accomplish four years ago. Beyond party affiliation, as a Nigerian youth, there is something awfully backward about the idea of a Buhari presidency. There are some brands that packaging cannot sell, no matter the competence, creativity or innovation of the packager. This is the dilemma of the Buhari campaign.The law of diminishing returns is a reality promoters of Buhari must come to terms with. More than the problem of Buhari’s old age is the bigger problem of the age of his ideas. What ideas will Buhari run our new Nigeria with? We are being told to make a 72-year-old man President over a future Nigeria he will not be part of. How does that even sound? Promoters of Buhari are telling us to drop a President Jonathan who has a clear record of performance for a Buhari who Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka described as a man in whom we have been offered “no evidence of the sheerest prospect of change.

Long live Mr.
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 11:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
agabaI23:
The portion completed sir does not include the lagoon crossing, does it. So far we are talking about the overland portion and it can be compared. You are the one try rather harder to excuse corruption.

This project has been on since 2009 and there is no end in sight. Have you considered that also?

Lagos generates 75% of its annual budget+plus oil money. What is holding that project my friend?

You were comparing plenty things at the same time and you've still not told me how many vehicles are included in the Kaduna-Abuja project. The Ethiopian version has 41.

Like i said in my very first post, i've not even seeing the lagos project so if you say they've not even bought a single iron rod, i can't disprove you. I argue based on facts i have my friend. You should know me by now. I gave you my verdict of Amechi's project because i've seeing it physically and can make very informed decisions about it.

Lagos project and Kaduna-Abuja project can't be compared in the manner you wish. they are very different projects
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
mandax:

Who is even afraid of a president Buhari? Did you observe the crude manner Buhari waved off an Oyibo journalist two days ago, as Buhari arrogantly said: "what is Boko Haram?"- and walked away from the Oyibo, leaving the Oyibo journalist perplexed?

Buhari is not even president yet, but he is already behaving above norm because he senses there are more supporters for him now than before; therefore, make Buhari president of Nigeria this time, Idi Amin shall be better dictator than Buhari.

The southsouth of the barcanistas shall be the first victims of an imagined Buhari crude presidency, mark it today.
I am coming up with a thread soon...
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by solarview(m): 11:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
@all

1 Like

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 11:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
maestroferddi:
Politicians are intrinsically corrupt and devious.

The problem we have is when a gang congregates in the APC and begin to insult our intelligence with a claim of being crusaders of anti-corruption.

From Buhari to Jonathan, one feature encapsulates them:avarice and self-centredness.

I refuse to be gullible...

Good on you bro. I'm a christian and i always remember Paul saying ''there is none righteous..no not one''

My take on this has always been in response to those who say it's better to stick with the devil we know (GEJ) than go for the angel we dont know (GMB).

My response is GMB isn't an angel, he's just another devil but we've spent 5 years with the devil called GEJ and 16 years with the coven called PDP, It's time to try another one.
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by drshrewd: 11:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
op stop those lies. the actual cost of the project is $318m from the rivers state gov site http://governor.riversstate.gov.ng/programs/the-rivers-monorail/ and it is meant to cover 19.5km. compared this project and the one currently been done in Mumbai India http://www.zdnet.com/article/mumbais-monorail-cost-450-million-so-why-is-it-losing-a-quarter-million-a-month/ here their monorail covers a distance of 20km at a cost of $450. monorails are far costlier than light rails. get it in your thick skull
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 11:54pm On Feb 13, 2015
blesie:
as we the lagos rail is not even 30% completed. fashola after 8 years is telling us that he failed to built d rail or complete it cos of gej. now pls somebody explain to me how gej haulted fashola from building or vompleting the rail he promised

Only Fashola or his aides can answer this i think
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by okeamuboy: 11:55pm On Feb 13, 2015
Abeg, argue sensibly and informed. A large part of the Lagos Rail is elevated, as in real bridge.

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by agabaI23(m): 11:57pm On Feb 13, 2015
thev0ice1:

You were comparing plenty things at the same time and you've still not told me how many vehicles are included in the Kaduna-Abuja project. The Ethiopian version has 41.

Like i said in my very first post, i've not even seeing the lagos project so if you say they've not even bought a single iron rod, i can't disprove you. I argue based on facts i have my friend. You should know me by now. I gave you my verdict of Amechi's project because i've seeing it physically and can make very informed decisions about it.

Lagos project and Kaduna-Abuja project can't be compared in the manner you wish. they are very different projects

I do not have that information on the number of vehicles, the information I have is that 187.5/46 =4.08

meaning that the length of Abuja rail is 4 x that of the Ethiopia but it is only 8.8B more expensive. It tells a lot. I do not know the number vehicles involved.

Yes you refused to out-rightly condemn the fraud in building 4km of rail at the cost of N150B, elevations no withstanding and the project is far from being completed. yet the same person will have the mouth to call another a thief.
Be harsh on him the way you would have been on GEJ if the shoe was on the other leg wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by mandax: 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
I am coming up with a thread soon...

pls include Gov Rotimi Amaechi's latest photo on the thread. Did you observe that ROTIMI AMAECHI NOW LOOKS OLDER THAN BUHARI? Hilarious!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!! barcanista must have also become older these days as he is climbing uphill; if a child says his father shall not sleep, can the child sleep?

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 12:01am On Feb 14, 2015
mandax:

pls include Gov Rotimi Amaechi's latest photo on the thread. Did you observe that Rotimi Amaechi now looks older than Buhari? Hilarious!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!! barcanista must have also become older these days as he is climbing uphill; if a child says his father shall not sleep, can the child sleep?
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

OPERATION STING: Governor Nyesom Wike Beefs Up Security In Rivers State / Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / Victor Oye Laid Curses On Peter Obi Over His Defection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.