Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. (26763 Views)

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? / How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by gmaribel(m): 7:54pm On Feb 14, 2015
I bought my first car a few days ago (Automatic Transmission) and right from day one I have been driving it within and around the estate where I reside. I have never taken the car out on the highway before.

I then wanted to perfect my skills as a driver so I called on a friend who drives a manual car to teach me. When he arrived I went to get the keys of my car but he said no! you are not using that car you will use my own car to learn.

I got into the car apprehensive and started it after setting the gear to neutral and then on his instruction I depressed the clutch fully, put the car in gear one and was told to press the accelerator gently while i gently lifted my leg from the clutch. The car moved but just as I was getting comfortable I was told to change to gear two....... as I was fumbling with the gear not knowing which is gear two I had to brake but then my instructor told me because I had come to a full stop I had to start from gear one again.

I got to a small hill and somehow the car stopped just as i was climbing it the car stopped again. When I started it with my legs on the clutch and brake, my instructor told me to immediately place my leg on the accelrator and move but what I saw was the car moving backwards............... in short after 45mins of driving I saw that the difference between an automatic car and a manual or stick-shift car is as great as day and night.

17 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:20pm On Feb 14, 2015
Please ensure you are certified a good driver b4 hitting the streets.

Do not use your left foot to step on the brakes, it is a bad habit.

Congratulations.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by gmaribel(m): 8:25pm On Feb 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Please ensure you are certified a good driver b4 hitting the streets.

Do not use your left foot to step on the brakes, it is a bad habit.

Congratulations.

Sure thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 14, 2015
Clutch release and gear selection is a skill one must master before driving a manual car. I would have advised you to learn with a manual from the scratch before switching to your new car which is an automatic because usually, if you start driving with an automatic, you will find it too difficult to drive a manual.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by vanndubi: 8:54pm On Feb 14, 2015
gmaribel:

I got to a small hill and somehow the car stopped just as i was climbing it the car stopped again. When I started it with my legs on the clutch and brake, my instructor told me to immediately place my leg on the accelrator and move but what I saw was the car moving backwards............... in short after 45mins of driving I saw that the difference between an automatic car and a manual or stick-shift car is as great as day and night.

Ur instructor is a bad one! How can he tell u to immediately remove ur left foot from the clutch pedal u throttle It doesn't work it that.

The clutching system of both manual and automatic gear system works on the same principle. For automatic, when you have ur right foot on the brake pedal and engage the gear, you will feel the vibration. This signals that the gear is engaged n u can throttle without the car rolling back.

And for the manual, u clutch down u engage gear 1. Then gently release the clutch n at point while you're releasing the clutch gently, you'll feel the vibration. Hold the clutch at that level and simply,(without rush) press the accelerator pedal and the car moves without rolling back even in an uphill slope.

Before I forget, Congrats on ur new car wink

******** Modified************
Maybe I omitted something undecided. When you clutch down, press down the brake too before engaging the gear 1. Start releasing the clutch gently to the point you start feeling the vibration. Hold the clutch at that level and start releasing the brake (without even pressing the throttle, the car will start moving as if you are releasing the brake of automatic car)

When you remove your right foot from the brake pedal and throttle, remove your left foot from the clutch pedal (It is not a good practice to clutch and throttle at the same time - coasting). Try it again and thank me later wink

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by gmaribel(m): 9:11pm On Feb 14, 2015
vanndubi:

Ur instructor is a bad one! How can he tell u to immediately remove ur left foot from the clutch pedal u throttle It doesn't work it that.

The clutching system of both manual and automatic gear system works on the same principle. For automatic, when you have ur right foot on the brake pedal and engage the gear, you will feel the vibration. This signals that the gear is engaged n u can throttle without the car rolling back.

And for the manual, u clutch down u engage gear 1. Then gently release the clutch n at point while you're releasing the clutch gently, you'll feel the vibration. Hold the clutch at that level and simply,(without rush) press the accelerator pedal and the car moves without rolling back even in an uphill slope.

Before I forget, Congrats on ur new car wink
Thanks man
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ogawisdom(m): 1:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
Manual gear cars in 2015 lipsrsealed

Ejighi afufu anya isi grin

Manual gear is outdated though cheaper to buy. We ve more stress to deal wit in naija can't make manual drivin in traffic one of them

I hope manual gear fans dnt attack me for this

grin

I can't accept a manual car even if it is for free lipsrsealed

21 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by laivwire(m): 1:10pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogawisdom:

Manual gear is outdated though cheaper to buy. We ve more stress to deal wit in naija can't make manual drivin in traffic one of them

grin

Your opinion. Manual can be an issue during traffic hold ups but I think it's also the same with auto. While driving an auto trans, I always shift to neutral and pull the hand brakes on a complete stop. With manual, I simply clutch down and depress the brakes or I switch to neutral and pull the emergency brake. Same thing though but I submit to manual when on the highway. It's a two way thing

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Lagusta(m): 1:11pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogawisdom:

grin

Some car gurus here would not be happy about this....

I have personally seen a 2012 Peugeot 607 with 6speed manual tranny....

So what is this one saying!??

I love manuals, I love stick-shifts, autos are terribly boring to drive and are for sissy's....

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ogawisdom(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
Lagusta:

Ikenna351 would not be happy about this....

I love manuals, I love stick-shifts, autos are terribly boring to drive and are for sissy's....

Dts my opinion bro
Auto transmission ws made as an upgrade to manual tranny n also to make driving easier n more pleasurable. Ok d definition of pleasurable driving is individual specific n to me taking away clutch control n always shifting gears wen I am driving is an unbelievable advancement in automobile industry.
Driving a manual car lol thank you an nt interested undecided its a matter of personal preference

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogawisdom:

grin

manual car outdated ? really 90% of cars in europe are manual cars

11 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Lagusta(m): 4:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogawisdom:

Dts my opinion bro
Auto transmission ws made as an upgrade to manual tranny n also to make driving easier n more pleasurable. Ok d definition of pleasurable driving is individual specific n to me taking away clutch control n always shifting gears wen I am driving is an unbelievable advancement in automobile industry.
Driving a manual car lol thank you an nt interested undecided its a matter of personal preference

Auto transmission was NEVER an upgrade to manual transmission...

The semiautomatic (aka tiptronic, steptronic or 7G-tronic as some brands call it) is the upgrade you are talking about...

Autos have been available for a long time, looks like you haven't seen a Peugeot 504 with an auto tranny, not the PAN assembled ones but that imported from Europe...

Even some older cars have auto tranny, and very new cars that have the manual tranny, some even clutchless,

So what is this one saying again

10 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Ikenna351(m): 8:32pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogawisdom:

Dts my opinion bro

The new Peugeot RCZ R comes only with 6-speed manual transmission, with output of 270 hp. I mean brand new, produced yesterday, today and to be produced tomorrow.

The brand new 508 launched late last year, 2014, has 6-speed manual transmission as well.

For you to state authoritatively that Auto tranny is an upgrade to manual tranny is very wrong please. Peugeot 404 in the '50s had 3-speed Auto trannies. Next time, ask. Don't assume.

Auto tranny and manual tranny is upgraded or improved on in parallel. As Auto tranny is been improved on since the '40s & '50s, likewise, the manual boxes are not left out. From 3-speed to 4-speed, 6-speed, Porsche tiptronic and the rest on auto trannies, likewise manual trannies have gone from 4 sp, 5 sp, 6-sp, from solid to DMF, etc. If I may ask, have you ever driven a new Peugeot with manual tranny? Can you compare it to the older manual transmissions in older lions?

Its your personal opinion, not a fact and you were wrong. If you had driven a Peugeot 504 & 505 with ZF 3-speed Auto transmissions, you would have known that Auto transmissions have gone a long way in Improvement compared to new Auto trannies in newer Lions like the AM6s. Likewise, a test drive of new Lion with manual tranny and old manual tranny will teach you a lot.

Ikenna

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by egesie(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
Nothing beats a stick shift, I don't want a car deciding when to change gears for me when m not brain dead, I mean don't u like the feel of being in control?

Anyone who says otherwise hasn't pushed a manual tranny car hard in gear 3, if u hv then u knw u can't get that heavenly feeling in auto

#TeamManual

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:13pm On Feb 15, 2015
If I may ask, have you ever driven a new Peugeot with manual tranny? Can you compare it to the older manual transmissions in older lions?

Ogawisdom steps on the brakes with his left foot, even if his life depended on it, he would not be able to move a manual tranny.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by abatically(m): 10:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
Lagusta:

Ikenna351 would not be happy about this....

So ikenna351 is god and we should all follow his lead huh? Everyone to his opinion. Moreover I don't think there's a 2012 Peugeot 607, I may be wrong though.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Lagusta(m): 10:51pm On Feb 15, 2015
abatically:

So ikenna351 is god and we should all follow his lead huh? Everyone to his opinion. Moreover I don't think there's a 2012 Peugeot 607, I may be wrong though.

Habaaa, oga mi I didn't mean it that way....

Okay, let me modify my post, thanks.....
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Readonee35L(m): 10:59pm On Feb 15, 2015
HMMMMM
congrats on ur new car op

learn well okay.. manual is very easy if u av interest in it

as for does arguing about manual and auto both have their pros and cons

personally i love both
i love manual more, because i have full control on my transmission , shifting at my own time and reving to my own satisfaction
i don't drive like james bond but i tell you its fun ,

i can almost complete my speedo in short minutes

reving and power shifting(clutching & changing to another gear in milliseconds without releasing my throttle keeps the turbo spinning by not closing the throttle ..Turbo cars only,( i dont do it like 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th because at that point ur only burning ur clutch, ) grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Readonee35L(m): 11:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
Lagusta:

Habaaa, oga mi I didn't mean it that way....

Okay, let me modify my post, thanks.....
modify a post dt has already been quoted be someone else,
it's still gonna be seen
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Lagusta(m): 11:12pm On Feb 15, 2015
Readonee35L:

modify a post dt has already been quoted be someone else,
it's still gonna be seen

At least I corrected myself, and it won't happen again....

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 15, 2015
Lagusta:

autos are for sissy's right? Let me guess, people that drive the following cars are sissy's.

Mercedes Benz E63 amg
BMW m5
Mercedes Benz s class
Range rover sport
BMW x6
Audi A8
Porsche Cayenne turbo S (world's fastest SUV)

All the above cars don't come with manual transmission (I don't see triptonic as manual, it is still automatic trying to behave like manual). All the cars listed above perform more than most cars with manual transmission. Even Bugatti veyron, the world's fastest car has an automatic transmission.

10 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Readonee35L(m): 12:19am On Feb 16, 2015
Lagusta:

At least I corrected myself, and it won't happen again....
i wasn't accusing u of any thing
.. all i was talking about was , editing the post won't make any diff since someone else has quoted it
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by intergral(m): 10:51am On Feb 16, 2015
It is advisable to learn driving with a Manual car....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ichidodo: 10:52am On Feb 16, 2015
Driving Manual to Automatic come een like rainfed agriculture to irrigation agriculture...one is messy,choatic but fun the other is boring,sterile and a complete waste of time and leg muscles.

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Osyxcel(m): 10:52am On Feb 16, 2015
Manual is good, Auto is better.

9 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 16, 2015
I PREFER AUTO. TO MANUAL

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by j4sure(m): 10:53am On Feb 16, 2015
ITS JUST LIKE SAYING ANALOGUE VS DIGITAL.

PICK THE BEST NOW. MY OPINION OOOOO

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by obums0209(m): 10:53am On Feb 16, 2015
auto all the way....

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 16, 2015
Anytime I drive cars with automatic gearboxes, I feel like I'm missing something, like I'm not an F1 driver...one should feel like Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, et cetera when one drives. But no go kill yourself o. Nneka123 ...you don hear? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by OgologoDimkpa: 10:55am On Feb 16, 2015
Manual Car ke? No be me!
Suffering and smiling embarassed

Automatic car or nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by lordprosh(m): 10:58am On Feb 16, 2015
I can drive both.but I hate manual. It has too much troubles ..but when I go racing with m friends I refer manual ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Samson Switchblade,World's 1st 2-Seater Flying Sports Car Goes On Sale Next Year / 2017 Maserati Levante: The Beauty Or The Beast? / Torrot: A Vehicle Made For Lagos Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.