Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,012 members, 7,956,749 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:11 PM

Help Me To Help Her. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help Me To Help Her. (552 Views)

Help Her (accmdation) In Federal College Of Education Akoka / Please HELP, Her Education Is At RISK!!! / Help! Her Academic Guardian Is Advising Her To Change Her Real Age In UTME Reg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 15, 2015
It all started when we were posted to our ppa(nysc) newly and we went around the classes introducing ourselves to the middle school students. To catch fun with the kids, I challenged the students to write some notable hard-to-spell words but unfortunately, they all failed. I went on with easy words but I noticed that some students ain't following at all though they look very serious. I called some people out to read a comprehension(I was actually concerned about the comprehension question) but to my greatest surprise, half of the class can't read. To crown it all, among those that can't read and write, there are few people that can't recite "ABC" . I brought out a book and asked those that can't read and write to write their names if they want help. Though, many wrote their names but it is only one girl that keep coming to me for help. Her case seems bad but I believe that with the help of great people here on Nairaland, she will be better before I finish my service year by JULY.
Let me describe her a bit for your own understanding.
* She is a teen, 16 years or so
* she can't write ABC. She can recite it but she doesn't know some alphabet by name. Eg: if u ask her to point the alphabet 'M' she might end up pointing 'H'. Yes, it's that bad.
* she can't pronounce the word "GO"
* she is in JSS 3.
Communication is the major problem because she can't understand some of the things I am even teaching her. I have started building a relationship between us(me and her). She is always afraid anytime she is with me in the staff room. I don't know if she is afraid of me or other staff. I want to help her, we have started learning "ABCD". I need suggestions on how to teach her. I browsed and the particular site suggested WORD SIGHING. If you have encountered any thing like this please help me to help her. I will be the happiest man on earth the day she will read a sentence without corrections from me. THANKS.

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by saaedlee: 12:39am On Feb 15, 2015
I honestly don't know what advice to give now, buh I think the major issue here is her fear of her teachers(including you). Helping her overcome that fear is going to be the most difficult and important aspect of her learning the alphabets.
I will suggest taking it slowly about 5 alphabets @ a time, and always reward her with something when she gets it right; as it encourages her. I didn't encouter such during my NYSC days sha! Don't be discouraged tho!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apply: Through Your Lens Photo Competition 2015 / Yaba Coll Of Tech 2014/15 Admin Lists Out For Processing_contact:_07060976365 / JAMB Results For 10th March Is Out – Share Yours Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.