Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,423 members, 7,853,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:37 AM

Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! (3134 Views)

Benue South: My Struggle Has Ended – Dan Onjeh Bows To David Mark / Fela Kuti Charged With Armed Robbery And Severely Beaten By Buhari (pic) / Press Statement By Buhari, GCFR, On The School Certificate Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by Nobody: 11:15am On Feb 15, 2015
WombRaiders:

I was typing when you quoted me. Read up!
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by modhream: 11:15am On Feb 15, 2015
According to this thread,the last that was heard of the Maitatsine was in April 1985,when they were finally crushed.Somebody remind me,who was Head of State April 1985?.
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by Sunymoore(m): 11:18am On Feb 15, 2015
Well we let it slide, because we can do nothing!
But since this present administration took over, there were no improvement in this madness, all we hear is propaganda and blame games...
The biggest of the scam is the introduction of state of emergency.. During the emergency period, civilian were harassed almost all time and Boko boys keeps on attacking almost all time...
There were rumors circulation on how the army will alert their superiors about intelligent report on Boko haram movement but the men would be denied permission from Abuja to attack them.
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by monteriza(m): 11:26am On Feb 15, 2015
@Op: Don't say what you don't know. Buhari was the GOC 3 Division during the Maitasine crisis. He led the troop that ended it without waiting for orders from the president. FYI, I'm a soldier. I got this info from a senior colleage (79NA) who also fought against Maitasine.
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 15, 2015
modhream:
According to this thread,the last that was heard of the Maitatsine was in April 1985,when they were finally crushed.Somebody remind me,who was Head of State April 1985?.

No. The maitassine uprising met a stiff ressistance from northern Nigeria as a whole.

Buhari still struggled to quench the group and in less than 4 months from the last recorded major uprising by the group in Gombe 1985, Buhari was overthrown.

Maitassine was contained by the north and it soon lost steam and disappeared from the landscape.

Firstly, you first have to understand what the ideology and make up of the maitassine group to understand why the northern oligarchy supported the government to quell the group. The sect was against established order in the north and appealled to the down trodden of society.

This is far at varriance with Boko Haram that enjoys tacit and financial support from powerful elements in the north.

This is where and how Boko differs from the Maitassine sect.

2 Likes

Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 15, 2015
monteriza:
@Op: Don't say what you don't know. Buhari was the GOC 3 Division during the Maitasine crisis. He led the troop that ended it without waiting for orders from the president. FYI, I'm a soldier. I got this info from a senior colleage (79NA) who also fought against Maitasine.

WombRaiders:
The Buhari Regime Religious Crises (1983-1985)
http://www.academicexcellencesociety.com/ethnic_religious_and_communal_conflict_in_nigeria.html
The regime which overthrew the Shagari-led civilian administration did not do much to allay the fear of non-Muslims, especially given the peculiar nature of its composition and policies. Most of the members of the Supreme Military Council were either northern Muslims or Muslims from the south. This structure made Christians very uncomfortable. It was not only Christians that the regime offended. If anything the Buhari regime incurred the anger of almost all groups in the country. For example, by drastically reducing the number of intending pilgrims across religious lines, Buhari made himself unpopular even among Muslims. The religious riots that occurred during this period were for the most part political in nature.
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by Sunymoore(m): 11:31am On Feb 15, 2015
So we have no option than to agree with the rumors.. Since the state of emergency was lifted from Yobe, Boko attacks reduced significantly, in fact all their major attacks were repelled successfully. One 'coincidence' is that we no longer hear about denied permission from Abuja. The military became more conpitent, in fact several people volunteered to join them as vigilante groups and the harassment was over. People also cooperated with the army, giving vital information and pointing Boko boys for them, because we trust them.
So all these 'tales' I wrote above and many others points people attention that the FG is behind boko.. This is the perception our people hold..
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by modhream: 12:28pm On Feb 15, 2015
WombRaiders:

No. The maitassine uprising met a stiff ressistance from northern Nigeria as a whole.

Buhari still struggled to quench the group and in less than 4 months from the last recorded major uprising by the group in Gombe 1985, Buhari was overthrown.

Maitassine was contained by the north and it soon lost steam and disappeared from the landscape.

Firstly, you first have to understand what the ideology and make up of the maitassine group to understand why the northern oligarchy supported the government to quell the group. The sect was against established order in the north and appealled to the down trodden of society.

This is far at varriance with Boko Haram that enjoys tacit and financial support from powerful elements in the north.

This is where and how Boko differs from the Maitassine sect.

See how you're tying yourself up in a knot.The question I asked was simple enough,who was the Head of State when the last Maitatsine uprising,according to your post,was put down?.
And no,the uprisings were not put down by your nebulous "northern establishment",but by regular law enforcement agencies.First the police,then combined teams of Army and Airforce.It says so right there in your post(s) or you now have issues with basic comprehension?.
Also,note that Maitatsine uprisings started way before '84/85,as early as '78 even,yet we didn't get to hear Shagari nor Buhari complain of them being setup to make the country ungovernable for them.They rose up to their responsibilities in varying degrees,not making excuses.
Lastly,I so detest people throwing accusations around without any shred of evidence.If you know any of these "northern elements" backing boko haram,as opposed to the few we already know enjoying state support,kindly name them.
Re: Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
modhream:

See how you're tying yourself up in a knot.The question I asked was simple enough,who was the Head of State when the last Maitatsine uprising,according to your post,was put down?.
And no,the uprisings were not put down by your nebulous "northern establishment",but by regular law enforcement agencies.First the police,then combined teams of Army and Airforce.It says so right there in your post(s) or you now have issues with basic comprehension?.
Lastly,I so detest people throwing accusations around without any shred of evidence.If you know any of these "northern elements" backing boko haram,as opposed to the few we already know enjoying state support,kindly name them.

Read the timeline of the maitasine before commenting

(1) (2) (Reply)

The So Called Northern Agenda by ibnsultan / Why 90 Percent Of Southerners Are Tired Of Buhari's Government / Fayose Playing With Fire – Miyetti Allah Warns Over Killing Of Cows(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.