Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,777 members, 7,813,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? (3713 Views)

How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Christ Died / Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / 14 Evidences For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 8:17am On Feb 16, 2015
The Error of the Long-haired Jesus

One of the biggest errors Hollywood has made is in their depiction of Jesus while he was teaching here on earth. The error comes because the preachers, priests and theologians have themselves accepted a false type of Jesus that nowhere resembles the true Jesus who is described in the New Testament. The images of Jesus that Christians have in their churches, homes, Bibles, Sunday School or Sabbath School books are those which have the outward features of the chief pagan gods of the heathen world . If the apostles could come back to life and visit our churches, enter our homes, and see our movies about Jesus, they would be aghast at witnessing Jesus being portrayed like the chief gods of the heathen world.

In the fourth century it became common for many Gentile peoples throughout the Roman Empire (who had long worshiped pagan gods and goddesses) to begin identifying their deities of old with the newly honored Jesus, Mary, and the “twelve apostles” (plus other saints of the Old and New Testaments). One particular deity that seemed to blend together the attributes of several gods into a unified portrayal of deity was the Egyptian god “Sarapis.” This god had been famous for 600 years in Egypt and now his worship was found all over the Roman Empire. He was equated with the Greek Zeus (the chief god over all other gods) along with Asclepius (the god of healing).

Professor Everett Ferguson in his excellent work titledBackgrounds of Early Christianityshows an example that the statues of Asclepius (the pagan god of healing) were images"that imitated Zeus and that his portraiture influenced artists in depictingboth Sarapis[the Egyptian Zeus]and Christ"(p.114).
Remarkably, the pagan god Sarapis of the fourth century appeared very much like what Christians (from the time of Constantine onwards) began to depict as their “Jesus.” At that time the people began to abandon all of the early depictions of Christ made in the previous hundred years or so (which showed ‘Jesus normally as young, beardless and with hair like ordinary men—not with long flowing feminine type of hair).

But now, with Constantine, the people began to want “Jesus” to appear like the pagan gods, so they selected the model of Zeus after the Egyptian rendition of Sarapis (the Egyptian Zeus) to be their new “Jesus.” What they actually did was to change the name of “Zeus” (Sarapis) into “Jesus.” The people kept on worshiping Zeus (Sarapis) but they now called him “Jesus.” Note the picture of Sarapis below.
Sarapis

With the time of Constantine a new type of JESUS began to be portrayed among the Christian population of the Roman Empire. They took the style of grooming which was typical of the pagan gods and adopted it as their “JESUS.” The above drawing is from a bust in the British Museum of Sarapis, the Egyptian version of Zeus (the chief of the Gentile gods). See reference Harper’sDictionary of Classical Literature and Antiquities, article, “Coma.”

Note what the scripture itself said in 1cor 11:14 about the long hair!
New International Version 1 cor 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,

Source: http:// www.askelm.com/secrets/sec103.html

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by delishpot: 8:29am On Feb 16, 2015
Na so we see am.
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by dkronicle(m): 8:33am On Feb 16, 2015
i dont Know watto say
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by Cutehector(m): 8:37am On Feb 16, 2015
Nonsense..

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 16, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:
The Error of the Long-haired Jesus

One of the biggest errors Hollywood has made is in their depiction of Jesus while he was teaching here on earth. The error comes because the preachers, priests and theologians have themselves accepted a false type of Jesus that nowhere resembles the true Jesus who is described in the New Testament. The images of Jesus that Christians have in their churches, homes, Bibles, Sunday School or Sabbath School books are those which have the outward features of the chief pagan gods of the heathen world . If the apostles could come back to life and visit our churches, enter our homes, and see our movies about Jesus, they would be aghast at witnessing Jesus being portrayed like the chief gods of the heathen world.

In the fourth century it became common for many Gentile peoples throughout the Roman Empire (who had long worshiped pagan gods and goddesses) to begin identifying their deities of old with the newly honored Jesus, Mary, and the “twelve apostles” (plus other saints of the Old and New Testaments). One particular deity that seemed to blend together the attributes of several gods into a unified portrayal of deity was the Egyptian god “Sarapis.” This god had been famous for 600 years in Egypt and now his worship was found all over the Roman Empire. He was equated with the Greek Zeus (the chief god over all other gods) along with Asclepius (the god of healing).

Professor Everett Ferguson in his excellent work titledBackgrounds of Early Christianityshows an example that the statues of Asclepius (the pagan god of healing) were images"that imitated Zeus and that his portraiture influenced artists in depictingboth Sarapis[the Egyptian Zeus]and Christ"(p.114).
Remarkably, the pagan god Sarapis of the fourth century appeared very much like what Christians (from the time of Constantine onwards) began to depict as their “Jesus.” At that time the people began to abandon all of the early depictions of Christ made in the previous hundred years or so (which showed ‘Jesus normally as young, beardless and with hair like ordinary men—not with long flowing feminine type of hair).

But now, with Constantine, the people began to want “Jesus” to appear like the pagan gods, so they selected the model of Zeus after the Egyptian rendition of Sarapis (the Egyptian Zeus) to be their new “Jesus.” What they actually did was to change the name of “Zeus” (Sarapis) into “Jesus.” The people kept on worshiping Zeus (Sarapis) but they now called him “Jesus.” Note the picture of Sarapis below.
Sarapis

With the time of Constantine a new type of JESUS began to be portrayed among the Christian population of the Roman Empire. They took the style of grooming which was typical of the pagan gods and adopted it as their “JESUS.” The above drawing is from a bust in the British Museum of Sarapis, the Egyptian version of Zeus (the chief of the Gentile gods). See reference Harper’sDictionary of Classical Literature and Antiquities, article, “Coma.”

Note what the scripture itself said in 1cor 11:14 about the long hair!
New International Version 1 cor 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,

Source: http:// www.askelm.com/secrets/sec103.html
This doesnt make sense...Jesus having long hair or short hair is not a dogmatic belief. Why are you trying to make it into some sort of dogma?
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 11:21am On Feb 16, 2015
Papist:

This doesnt make sense...Jesus having long hair or short hair is not a dogmatic belief. Why are you trying to make it into some sort of dogma?

Its dogmatic ...... The same principle was also followed in the movie " passion of Christ" !!!

1 Cor 11:14 Disqualifies All ur artwork that always portray Jesus as havin a long hair.

THEY ARE FALSE PICTURES Influenced by paganism

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by paulGrundy(m): 12:07pm On Feb 16, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

Its dogmatic ...... The same principle was also followed in the movie " passion of Christ" !!!

1 Cor 11:14 Disqualifies All ur artwork that always portray Jesus as havin a long hair.

Bernimore/CAPTIVATOR Is Jesus' picture of him having a shaved facial hair also paganism?

Here is quote from your religion- JEHOVAHS WITNESS aka watchtower

watchtower 1968 5/1 p. 286 Questions From Readers

“Biblical evidence is the most reliable testimony to be found on this question, and a recent careful review of what it says indicates that [size=22pt]Jesus did indeed have a beard"[/size]
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by ayoku777(m): 12:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
This picture of Jesus was drawn by young Akiane Kramarik when she was around 8 or so, after she claimed she went to heaven and saw Jesus.

The picture was corroborated as true by another 4 year old boy, Colton Burpo who also claimed to have been to heaven and met with Jesus.

If the picture is really true, then Jesus looks nothing like the version Hollywood gave us.

Google "Akiane and Colton" for their stories.

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by paulGrundy(m): 12:34pm On Feb 16, 2015
Papist:

The person in question is a Jehovahs witness. The watchtower herself has exhibited contradictory stance on this issue. At some time saying Jesus kept a beard at some other times saying he didn't keep a beard.
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 2:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
paulGrundy:

Bernimore/CAPTIVATOR Is Jesus' picture of him having a shaved facial hair also paganism?

Here is quote from your religion- JEHOVAHS WITNESS aka watchtower

watchtower 1968 5/1 p. 286 Questions From Readers

“Biblical evidence is the most reliable testimony to be found on this question, and a recent careful review of what it says indicates that [size=22pt]Jesus did indeed have a beard"[/size]

Ur words always make me laugh .... Honestly speakin, u are confuse

The op is talkin about long hairs usin 1 cor 11:14 WHICH U CANT DISPUTE, to prove those pictures as false .... So what does long hairs got to do with beard ??

Imagine u quotin somethin written in 1968 for me in 2015 , LET ME EXPOSE UR IGNORANCE .

DO U AGREE WITH ME THAT JESUS HAVE A BEARD as the rest of the Jews ??
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by paulGrundy(m): 2:31pm On Feb 16, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

Ur words always make me laugh .... Honestly speakin, u are confuse

The op is talkin about long hairs usin 1 cor 11:14 WHICH U CANT DISPUTE

1 cor 11:14 was written AFTER jesus' death, so it has nothing to do with if Jesus kept nor shaved hairs/beards. Read your bible well, paul was using the illustration of a women and men keeping their hair to compare how christ is the glory of God, just like a hair is the glory of a woman. Besides paul didn't command all men to shave their hair, neither did he say it is a sin for men to keep hair or beards. .

to prove those pictures as false .... So what does long hairs got to do with beard ??

Imagine u quotin somethin written in 1968 for me in 2015 , LET ME EXPOSE UR IGNORANCE .

DO U AGREE WITH ME THAT JESUS HAVE A BEARD as the rest of the Jews ??

YES jesus kept beards.
The OP is just a product of wishful thinking. A weak attempt at showing the correlation between long hair, beards and paganism. I have my facts, ask me more questions, and I'll unveil em.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 3:17pm On Feb 16, 2015
paulGrundy:

1 cor 11:14 was written AFTER jesus' death, so it has nothing to do with if Jesus kept nor shaved hairs/beards. Read your bible well, paul was using the illustration of a women and men keeping their hair to compare how christ is the glory of God, just like a hair is the glory of a woman. Besides paul didn't command all men to shave their hair, neither did he say it is a sin for men to keep hair or beards. .

NATURE itself teach you that if a man has a long hair , its a disgrace to him. 1 cor 11:14
NOTICE: NATURE ! NATURE itself teach, NATURE.... Lols, ur argument is broke.

Up till dis moment , any man that has long hairs like a female is viewed as thug , CAN YOU ATTEND AN INTERVIEW with a long hairs, or a weird long haircut ??

YES jesus kept beards.

So u agree ? , why are u now shoutin when the book u quote says Jesus kept beards .... Learn to analyse things before u scream
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by johnydon22(m): 3:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hahahahahahaha christians still arguing how Jesus looks... ok grabs seat..grin oya continue the assumptions grin
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vooks: 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2015
Negroes,
How do you know how long was 'long' back then? An inch,two,three or ten?

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 16, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

No it does not...when you read the Bible you need to differentiate between disciplines and dogmas. For example the rule for women to cover their hair is a discipline but the teaching on the resurrection is dogma. One is changeable while the other is not.
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vest(m): 5:49pm On Feb 16, 2015
vooks:
Negroes,
How do you know how long was 'long' back then? An inch,two,three or ten?
guy i was abt to ask the same quesion oh! @op pls answer dis quesion
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CANTICLES: 6:03pm On Feb 16, 2015
vest:
guy i was abt to ask the same quesion oh! @op pls answer dis quesion

You guys are only looking for excuses

" but if a woman has a long hair, it is a glory to her" 1 cor 11: 15

The long in dis context refer to a typical feminine hair , WHICH IS VERY WRONG ON A MAN .

So check the pictures at the origina post and tell me if they are not feminine ?

TRUTH IS TRUTH .
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vest(m): 6:15pm On Feb 16, 2015
wat do u tink samson also has long hair
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by johnw74: 12:23am On Feb 17, 2015
Samson had long hair, scripture supports that,
Samson was a nazarite which was a religious group of believers.

Jesus was not a nazarite as some say, He was a Nazarene, being from Nazareth.
Jesus did not have long hair like a woman, or the writer of this verse would not have said it.

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I am not siding with jw's, I believe they are wrong about their main doctrines and many things.
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vest(m): 6:42am On Feb 17, 2015
CANTICLES:

You guys are only looking for excuses

" but if a woman has a long hair, it is a glory to her" 1 cor 11: 15

The long in dis context refer to a typical feminine hair , WHICH IS VERY WRONG ON A MAN.

So check the pictures at the origina post and tell me if they are not feminine ?

TRUTH IS TRUTH .
@ d bolded i agree,ve u seen the picture representing mary madalene hw lng her hair was it is different from that of jesus chirst vooks ask a very 9ice quesion their bt u wil never c it bcose of the prejudics u ve.
jst the same way u pple clam that jesus die on a stake
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by lele007: 9:33am On Feb 17, 2015
OP, for your own good I want u to memorize by repetition the following words:

"Blind guides. You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel".
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vooks: 9:27am On Feb 18, 2015
You need to prove to us that the middle Eastern concept of 'long' hair 2000 years ago is the same as yours presently. What 'long hair' did paul had in mind?

Unless and until you can demonstrate to us the acceptable and unacceptable Jewish male hairlength barring Nazirite who never shaved,you lack sufficient information to judge an artistic depiction of Jesus as off on account of the hairlength

Now,
Don't get carried away by nothing but Lupita's hair grin grin. She is a typical negro; short haired relative to caucasians or Asians. A man with her hair length to me is having 'long' hair. I prefer mine very short or clean shave...Jordan. Is she a disgrace seeing she is a woman with naturally short hair?

cc CANTICLES, CAPTIVATOR, vest

johnw74:

Samson had long hair, scripture supports that,
Samson was a nazarite which was a religious group of believers.

Jesus was not a nazarite as some say, He was a Nazarine, being from Nazareth.
Jesus did not have long hair like a woman, or the writer of this verse would not have said it.

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I am not siding with jw's, I believe they are wrong about their main doctrines and many things.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 11:58am On Feb 18, 2015
vooks:
You need to prove to us that the middle Eastern concept of 'long' hair 2000 years ago is the same as yours presently. What 'long hair' did paul had in mind?

Unless and until you can demonstrate to us the acceptable and unacceptable Jewish male hairlength barring Nazirite who never shaved,you lack sufficient information to judge an artistic depiction of Jesus as off on account of the hairlength

Now,
Don't get carried away by nothing but Lupita's hair grin grin. She is a typical negro; short haired relative to caucasians or Asians. A man with her hair length to me is having 'long' hair. I prefer mine very short or clean shave...Jordan. Is she a disgrace seeing she is a woman with naturally short hair?

cc CANTICLES, CAPTIVATOR, vest

1 cor 11:15 explains that long hair refers to a feminine hair .... Tell me u are a liar by pointin it that the pics of Jesus in d orginal post doesnt have a feminine hair
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 12:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
vest:
wat do u tink samson also has long hair

Samson is a nazirite .

IS CHRIST UNDER A NAZIRITE VOW ?

A Nazirite is prohibited from drinking wine , or touching a dead person ( Num 6: 2-3,6)

[size=22pt] CONTRARY TO THIS : Christ drink wine Matt (11:19) , on one occassion he touched a dead person ( Mat 9:25) [/size]

THEREFORE, Christ is not under a Nazirite vow

ABOVE ALL ...... Even After the days of nazirite vow is ended, such a person should shave such shameful long hair off ( Num 6:18)

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vest(m): 12:18pm On Feb 18, 2015
Vooks Ve Said It All
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vooks: 1:20pm On Feb 18, 2015
You are confused,obtuse or BOTH.
What is 'feminine' hair?
Jesus' depictions appear 'feminine' to you because you have been conditioned to regard a SPECIFIC hair length as 'feminine' and anything shorter than that as 'masculine'. Who told you they had the same standards 2000 years ago in Palestine?

Is Lupita Nyongo's hair feminine or masculine according to Watchtower?

CAPTIVATOR:

1 cor 11:15 explains that long hair refers to a feminine hair .... Tell me u are a liar by pointin it that the pics of Jesus in d orginal post doesnt have a feminine hair
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 2:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
vooks:
You are confused,obtuse or BOTH.
What is 'feminine' hair?
Jesus' depictions appear 'feminine' to you because you have been conditioned to regard a SPECIFIC hair length as 'feminine' and anything shorter than that as 'masculine'. Who told you they had the same standards 2000 years ago in Palestine?

Is Lupita Nyongo's hair feminine or masculine according to Watchtower?

Jesus look like every other jew, thats why he could hide among the crowds and walk with his apostles without being spotted ( Joh 8:59)

( about your question) OPEN YOUR EYES .... This account is "captivator " NOT watchtower

**** Lupita Nyongo's hair is masculine .

The pictures below explains it all

Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vooks: 2:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
How did 'every other Jew' look like 2000 years ago?

'masculine'/'feminine' hair length is purely cultural negro, aight?
cc vest
CAPTIVATOR:

Jesus [size=20pt]look like every other jew,[/size] thats why he could hide among the crowds and walk with his apostles without being spotted ( Joh 8:59)

( about your question) OPEN YOUR EYES .... This account is "captivator " NOT watchtower

**** Lupita Nyongo's hair is masculine .

The pictures below explains it all
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by CAPTIVATOR: 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2015
vooks:
How did 'every other Jew' look like 2000 years ago?

'masculine'/'feminine' hair length is purely cultural negro, aight?
cc vest

YOUR question makes no sense , nobody is alive 2000 years ago! But all over the world , the structure of the male hair is ALWAYS different from the female which is always long due to their desire to style their hairs .

Even Nazirite that kept it long like a woman are commanded to shave it off once the Nazirit vow days are over .

NATURE doesnt permit men to keep long hairs ( 1 Cor 11:14)
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by vooks: 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
You have no clue how long Jesus hair was.
The most you can say is it MUST have been shorter than the average hair-length of his female contemporaries.
Since you have no idea what was considered long back then, you lack sufficient information to pass judgement on artistic depictions of Jesus.

Now, you need to travel & think widely and see some cultures where men don longer hair than women.
Masai men

women
[img]http://trudiz.files./2012/09/smith_maasai_woman09.jpg[/img]
PS: You are free to make unfounded and deranged rants about what was considered 'long' back then
CAPTIVATOR:

YOUR question makes no sense , nobody is alive 2000 years ago! But all over the world , the structure of the male hair is ALWAYS different from the female which is always long due to their desire to style their hairs .

Even Nazirite that kept it long like a woman are commanded to shave it off once the Nazirit vow days are over .

NATURE doesnt permit men to keep long hairs
Re: What Is Wrong With This Popular Picture Of Jesus ?? by johnw74: 11:18pm On Feb 18, 2015
vooks:

Unless and until you can demonstrate to us the acceptable and unacceptable Jewish male hairlength barring Nazirite who never shaved,you lack sufficient information to judge an artistic depiction of Jesus as off on account of the hairlength.

Long, 2000 years ago still means long today,
does Jesus have short hair in those pictures in the OP,
if not then He has long hair in those pictures.
If He didn't have short hair 2000 years ago, then He had long hair,
but he didn't, He had short hair.

(1) (2) (Reply)

to the haters of islam I will just keep smilin @ you from now till the last hour / Why Did Islam Approve Prostitutions / The Spirit Of The End Time And Big Brother Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.