Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,800 members, 7,813,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help (1634 Views)

Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged / My Passat 09 Jerking When Gear Is Put On D Or R / Please I Need Advise Of My Car Gear Is R,it Refuse To Select Gear Even When (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by egorov(m): 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
On my way back home now I branched my barber's place to shave, after shaving I got into my car to go home but the gear refused to leave 'Park' I don't knw what to do nd please does anyone knows what might b d problem, I've called a mecho and he's on his way, but I wanna have idea on what could have caused such. Thanks
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hmm....hmmmm....hmmmmmm.....the spirit is telling me the car will start, but it will not move. Your bill is 5 million naira only. Thanks!
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by AutosBay(m): 4:27pm On Feb 16, 2015
Your shift lock system is bad.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by Kashif(m): 4:33pm On Feb 16, 2015
What car is that? There is always an unlock knob near the 'P' position. You will need to open the cover/lid to access it. press it down and the selector will move out of 'P'. It happens.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by egorov(m): 5:12pm On Feb 16, 2015
Kashif:
What car is that? There is always an unlock knob near the 'P' position. You will need to open the cover/lid to access it. press it down and the selector will move out of 'P'. It happens.
Yea, thank. That was d same thing my mechanic did for d gear to move to D, I'm waiting while he's trying to check it, itss camry 08, but do u have any idea wht caused that?
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by egorov(m): 5:14pm On Feb 16, 2015
AutosBay:
Your shift lock system is bad.
Thanks. Can it be fixed. Cos I believe there's something dis mecho isn't telling me
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by Kashif(m): 5:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
egorov:
Yea, thank. That was d same thing my mechanic did for d gear to move to D, I'm waiting while he's trying to check it, itss camry 08, but do u have any idea wht caused that?

There is nothing to fix! It happens, and thats why the manufacture put the release knob. The park pawl got stuck somehow. Just drive your car home.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
egorov:
Thanks. Can it be fixed. Cos I believe there's something dis mecho isn't telling me

Start by checking if your brake bulbs light up when you step on the brakes.

There's an inhibitor switch in the gear lever that is triggered on the following conditions, 1. Car ignition must be on, or engine running, 2. Car must be in park position, 3. brakes must be pressed. If your brake switch (located near brake lever)is tampered with the inhibitor switch will seize to function, also if the inhibitor switch is faulty same thing will happen.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:41pm On Feb 16, 2015
Kashif:

There is nothing to fix! It happens, and thats why the manufacture put the release knob. The park pawl got stuck somehow. Just drive your car home.

That's also a possibility but a very slim one.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by TCD: 6:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
this had happened to me before like gazzuz said it was the break lights. the fuse had blown. check your break lights if they are working.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by DECOtech(m): 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hope you are not parked on a slope
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by egorov(m): 7:52pm On Feb 16, 2015
Thanks everyone for your concern. I've been at home since about 2hours ago. The guy changed a fuse under the steering region, and its functioning well now, although at a cost of course. Thank you all.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
egorov:
Thanks everyone for your concern. I've been at home since about 2hours ago. The guy changed a fuse under the steering region, and its functioning well now, although at a cost of course. Thank you all.

Fuse nah 100naira, knowledge well that has a price................ Meanwhile for a fuse to get blown it means there was a problem somwhere, what changes did you make of recent? Changed any bulBs?
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by egorov(m): 9:49pm On Feb 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Fuse nah 100naira, knowledge well that has a price................ Meanwhile for a fuse to get blown it means there was a problem somwhere, what changes did you make of recent? Changed any bulBs?
Well, d guy charged 1000. D only thing I did of recent was to change the full light, it wasn't coming on so I had a re-wire do it.
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by FlyboyZee: 11:50pm On Feb 16, 2015
@Gazzuz, please give him some lessons. I'm right on your trail on this one. Its very interesting and I want to follow through, step by step...
Re: My Car's Gear Is Locked At 'P' Please Help by Fribery: 12:19am On Feb 17, 2015
guyz in the house I'll need some clarification here.. how does the bad fuse relate to the OP problem.. ?

If d fuse is jus for the light how come it can cause the gear to seize??

(1) (Reply)

To Whom It May Concern(Stale) / Lexus RX 330 Golden Brown For Sale. / Maybach "The Brand"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.