Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,734 members, 7,827,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination (1123 Views)

Shiites Attempted Assassination Of Buratai, The Chief-Of-Army-Staff In Zaria / BREAKING !! Massive Pro-Biafran Protests In London Pictures / PDP Governorship Aspirant Sues Ekiti Over Damage Of Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 7:35am On Jan 06, 2009
Protests in Ekiti over Fasuba's assassination

By Bisi Olaniyi and Obinna Ezeobi

Protesters, armed with dangerous weapons, with bonfires on major roads, took over Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital on Sunday, expressing displeasure over the assassination of Mr. Kehinde Fasuba, the twin brother of former caretaker Chairman of Ado-Ekiti Local Government, Mr. Taye Fasuba.

Kehinde, 49, until his murder, was the Assistant General Manager, Finance and Administration of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria in Kaduna State.

The protest disrupted the free flow of traffic, with motorists being ordered to turn back, thus causing stampede in Ado-Ekiti.

Some vehicles were also damaged, especially windscreens of vehicles of drivers who ran into the protesters, who took over the state capital as early as 7 am, preventing Christians from attending services and others moving around the city.

The deceased, according to investigations, was warming up to proceed to the National Assembly in 2011, to represent Ekiti Central Senatorial District and with the intention to resign from PHCN in 2010, before the unfortunate incident.

He attended a political meeting at an hotel in the Housing area, Afao Road in Ado-Ekiti on Saturday, before he was assassinated around 9pm, on his way back to his house in the state capital.

Kehinde was in company of an associate, Mr. Tunji Gold, and two other friends, who he wanted to drop off at Asamo compound, Odo-Ado area of Ado-Ekiti, when the assassins waylaid his Toyota Corolla car.

As soon as the PHCN manager was identified, the assassins in black T-shirts, shot him repeatedly on the chest and also fired gunshots into the air to scare the people.

The other occupants of the car were ordered out and asked to lie face down, with one of them falling into the drainage.

The killers ensured that Kehinde died before they departed after about five minutes, in two cars, comprising a black 2008 Toyota Camry saloon, with Lagos registration number and also went with the Toyota Corolla.

Sympathisers later rushed the late PHCN AGM to the University of Ado-Ekiti Teaching Hospital, around 11 pm, where he was confirmed dead. His body was deposited at the morgue of the state hospital.

The Police Public Relations Officer of the Ekiti Command, Mr. Mike Akindipe, an ASP, who confirmed the killing, said investigations by the command was still continuing and might require forensic assistance.

A top official of PHCN who spoke on the telephone with our correspondent, said although she had not got official briefings on the incident, the circumstances surrounding Fasuba's death was not likely to be connected with his official duties.

She added that PHCN would wait for the Police authorities to conduct thorough investigations on the incident with the hope to identify the killer(s) of Fasuba whom she described as a very dedicated member of staff of the utility company.

Lagos Lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, an indigene of Ilawe-Ekiti, noted that the "condemnable" assassination could be traced to the internal problems in the ruling Peoples Democratic Party in Ekiti State.

Falana, also the President of the West African Bar Association, urged the Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Segun Oni, to expose the killers, who he alleged, were in the PDP in the state.

He said, "On the September 11, 2004, the PDP-led government attempted to kill Mr. Taye Fasuba, who was the Chairman of Ado-Ekiti Local Government.

"Although he narrowly escaped, Mr. Tunde Omojola, Dr. Ayodeji Daramola and others were not so lucky. Thus the Ekiti people were compelled to sack Mr. Ayodele Fayose.

"On December 20, 2008, Ekiti State Government's thugs attempted to kill Mr. Suyi Owoeye at Ilawe-Ekiti, for challenging the rigging of LG election.

"Oni's government has shielded the PDP chieftains involved in the heinous crime. Let Governor Oni and the Ekiti State Police Commissioner, Mr. Chris Ola, not shed crocodile tears over the brutal murder of Mr. Kehinde Fasuba, as both of them connived in protecting criminal elements in the police and the Ekiti PDP."

The Ekiti State governor, who paid a condolence visit to the Ewi of Ado-Ekiti, Oba Rufus Adejugbe, stated that it was too early to comment on the sad incident.

Oni added that the police had already started investigation, urging the people to wait for the outcome.

The Special Assistant to the Ekiti State Deputy Governor on Public Communications, Mr. Joseph Ogunsemi, ruled out the involvement of the state government in the killing of Kehinde, describing the governor as a man of peace, who could never be involved in the assassination of any citizen.

Ogunsemi's boss, Dr. Sikiru Lawal, is an indigene of Ado-Ekiti, but the spokesman said linking the administration to the murder would amount to smearing the image of the state government, admonishing the people to allow the police to do thorough jobs.

"The Oni's administration is known for peace and good governance. I urge the people of the state to support the security agencies to carry out full investigations on the murder of our promising son. God will surely vindicate the just and punish the wicked accordingly.

"We are worried. Only recently, some people poured acid on a Chief of Ado-Ekiti and we are also aware of five kids that were locked up and suffocated in their father's car boot. We call on God to deliver our state from the wicked souls."

The Ado-Ekiti Progressive Union, in a statement in Ado-Ekiti on Sunday by its Public Relations Officer, Mr. Kole Ajayi, equally called for a probe into the murder, which, it said, must not go the way of past assassinations in Ekiti, in which the killers were yet to be apprehended and prosecuted.

APU then asked the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, to take urgent steps to tackle the high rate of insecurity in Ado-Ekiti and other parts of the state, declaring that the assassination must be thoroughly investigated.

Taye (Fasuba) escaped death in September 2004 when gunmen invaded his house. Some persons, including three aides to the former Ekiti State governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, were arrested and arraigned for the murder, but later discharged for want of evidence.

Other yet-to-be resolved murder in Ekiti were those of World Bank consultant, Dr. Ayodeji Daramola, also a PDP governorship aspirant; Mr. Yemi Oni; Mr. Tunde Omojola and Mrs. Eunice Omojola

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/5/407.html
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 7:36am On Jan 06, 2009
Ekiti has turned to capital of political assassinations in Nigeria. Fountain of assassination knowledge!
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 06, 2009
Not supprised this tragic news is coming from ekiti. angry
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 7:22pm On Jan 06, 2009
They assassinate everyday in China too. undecided
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2009
earTHMama:

They assassinate everyday in China too. undecided

Who assassinates who in china?
The only people i hear assassinating themselves in china are nigerian drug dealers. tongue
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 9:00pm On Jan 06, 2009
Who assassinates who in china?
The only people i hear assassinating themselves in china are nigerian drug dealers.

Please! Assassination is an old western tradition unconsciously adopted by Africans.
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by netotse(m): 3:49am On Jan 07, 2009
nigerians have 'over learnt' it o!
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Kobojunkie: 3:53am On Jan 07, 2009
earTHMama:

Please! Assassination is an old western tradition [size=13pt]unconsciously adopted by Africans. [/size]

yes!! Booo to western tradition!!! Even though Africans have been known as savages for longer, old western tradition is to blame for all the killings in Africa. Heck!! Ritual killings also started in the old west. lol!!! roflmao!!

I applaud the people for standing up to protest the nonsense. I hope they do not stop there!
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 4:06am On Jan 07, 2009
yes!! Booo to western tradition!!! Even though Africans have been known as savages for longer, old western tradition is to blame for all the killings in Africa. Heck!! Ritual killings also started in the old west. lol!!! roflmao!!

I applaud the people for standing up to protest the nonsense. I hope they do not stop there!

You think oyibos do not do ritual killings up till this day? kiss
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Kobojunkie: 4:09am On Jan 07, 2009
naa!! mba!! the man wey them catch sey im kill im mama for ritual killing, we know say na oyinbo tell am make im do am !! roflmao!! see as DENIAL dey sweet you so!! roflmao!!!
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 4:12am On Jan 07, 2009
naa!! mba!! the man wey them catch sey I'm kill I'm mama for ritual killing, we know say na oyinbo tell am make I'm do am !! roflmao!! see as DENIAL dey sweet you so!! roflmao!!!

I'm not denying anything. Nuzo made it look like they don't assassinate people abroad when they actually do that more than in Nigeria. I don't know why Nuzo and you will choose to cover up the sins of the west just to prove that Nigeria is a cesspit.
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Kobojunkie: 4:26am On Jan 07, 2009
where?? The guy lives in China. He ought to know more of what is done out in China than you and I, abi no be so? I have not really heard of assasinations as you claim in China. Neither here in the US nor in the UK. So I don't understand why the people's protest should somehow be brushed to the side because you believe there are more reports of assasinations in western countries than in Nigeria.
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 4:40am On Jan 07, 2009
where?? The guy lives in China. He ought to know more of what is done out in China than you and I, abi no be so? I have not really heard of assasinations as you claim in China.Neither here in the US nor in the UK. So I don't understand why the people's protest should somehow be brushed to the side because you believe there are more reports of assasinations in western countries than in Nigeria.

Big ol' lie. Read history.
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Kobojunkie: 4:51am On Jan 07, 2009
oh!! I talk say this one na denial!! Na history we dey look now? This protest in Ekiti na history we go take look am up too?? roflmao!!! okpabi oo!!!! kai!!! Denial don chop people head tire for this world ooo!!!
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 6:21am On Jan 07, 2009
oh!! I talk say this one na denial!! Na history we dey look now? This protest in Ekiti na history we go take look am up too?? roflmao!!! okpabi oo!!!! kai!!! Denial don chop people head tire for this world ooo!!!

Defend your comment above na?. If we keep quiet now, you and your chinese friend will claim assassination is only done in Africa/Nigeria.
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 07, 2009
earTHMama:

Defend your comment above na?. If we keep quiet now, you and your chinese friend will claim assassination is only done in Africa/Nigeria.

This illesha woman can never give up on anything so far it has something to do with chinese, cheesy
Anyway, im aware that assassination happens everywhere in the world, but everyone knows that it is now rampant in nigeria because there's no punishment for it.
I cannot speak much for the west, but as for china; i can authoritatively tell you that since i came here, i have not heard a gunshot not to talk of seeing a gun. Therefore, I challange you to post a link about assassinations in china. The only people you will see in that link are nigerian drug dealers killing themselves. tongue

Its also a shame that when we talk about nigerians copying positive things from the west; people like you are quick to remind us that nigeria and ekiti are still 9 years old, but when it comes to copying the negatives; nigeria learns very fast and even out does the teacher.

What a set of loosers. . . . cool
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by princekevo(m): 8:19am On Jan 07, 2009
We all know that assassination is something that happens everywhere in the world, but i think Nigerian government should really give more attention to this security aspect in Nigeria. Becoz those are one of the major things that scares foreign investors away from Nigeria.
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 4:34pm On Jan 07, 2009
Its also a shame that when we talk about nigerians copying positive things from the west; people like you are quick to remind us that nigeria and ekiti are still 9 years old, but when it comes to copying the negatives; nigeria learns very fast and even out does the teacher.
Roflmao; we are still infants joo. kiss kiss
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by earTHMama: 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2009
Seriously tho, why are political assassinations in Nigeria highest in Yorubaland?
Re: Protests In Ekiti Over Fasuba's Assassination by Kobojunkie: 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2009
puts on a serious face . . . angry

Now you start with what you are best known for – sticking your own delusions into other people’s mouths. The topic or article above does not state anywhere that the people protesting the assassinations do not know of their haven been similar cases around the world. Why do you want to weaken the seriousness of the assassinations just so you can once again score brownie points against ( in your mind) the US(Kobojunkie) and China(Nuzo)? Only God knows why you feel the need to attack us . . . but then since you are a woman, I am not surprised. ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy

puts on serious face again. . . angry The point is assassinations are unacceptable? Bringing in history of assassinations in foreign countries to explain the situation in Ekiti is ludicrous and infantile. Give this people the respect due them. Either you support or you butt-off. We are speaking of people standing up against injustice in a country marred with corruption and inequities.

(1) (Reply)

French Court Fines Etete $10.5m / Absolute Public Disclosure - Obamas Tax Returns / What If Fashola Goes For A Re-run Guber Election?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.