Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) (4090 Views)

Musa Mohammed Turns New Tv Star After Chat With Turkish President Goes Viral / New TV Deal Brings Free Premier League Games To 50 African Countries / TV Rights Palaver | La Liga Clubs Issue Strike Threats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:20pm On Feb 17, 2015
With the new deal EPL signed with Sky sports and others worth over €6.9 billion, other League Administration bodies are really concerned over the issue.
The La Liga president has given a speculation that La Liga could lose its big stars to the EPL in the future if they dont act fast and could affect other leagues too.
The most notable threat is EPL's threat to UCL. UEFA president Michel Platini said UEFA are not happy with the new deal, it could turn the champions league to a second tier competition which is a big insult to European football.
Even teams releagted to the second division will earn more money than the Champions League winners, does that make sense?
Personally i dont see anything special about EPL, forget the competitiveness, there are leagues in the world more competitive than the EPL that dont have the financial backing, Look at the Nigerian Premier League for example, sometimes the difference between the 1st team and the 12 team on the table is like 9 points.
If we should say which League has the best teams in the world, its not even EPL. Spanish La Liga has better teams overall than EPL, they dominate UCL and Europa Cup.
Its an insult that Totenham- a team that is by far inferior to La Liga teams like Sevilla, Valencia and Villareal earns more money than the mentioned spanish teams
I fear that if care is not taken and EPL keeps getting financial favours, it could eclipse the FIFA World Cup- a bad omen to the beautiful game.
Whats your Take on This?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by Generalkorex(m): 10:24pm On Feb 17, 2015
Passing by
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by graciousme(f): 10:26pm On Feb 17, 2015
What does the deal entail?
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:28pm On Feb 17, 2015
graciousme:
What does the deal entail?
it will render leagues like La Liga, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga as inferior leagues.
These leagues could lose its biggest stars to EPL
For example Hull City being a bigger club than Bayern Munich
How does that sound to you?

1 Like

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:37pm On Feb 17, 2015
The marketing and packaging of the EPL is an investors paradise. The camera angles of the EPL is only closely followed by the German Bundesliga. During the weekends, watch how many people troop out to catch an EPL game.

We now have Tottenham fans in Nigeria. Someone like me was supporting Sunderland and Cardiff not to get relegated last season.

You can not find this kind of love from other leagues. Even the Champions league is mostly about the big teams like Bayern, Real, Barca and the EPL teams.

The sponsorship is deserved because there are fewer weeks of the Champions league. Imagine advertisers had to wait from Novemeber to February to have their products advertised.

4 Likes

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:38pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

it will render leagues like La Liga, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga as inferior leagues.
These leagues could lose its biggest stars to EPL
For example Hull City being a bigger club than Bayern Munich
How does that sound to you?
Hull City will earn more than Bayern but won't be a bigger club.

Either way, the big clubs get to play teams like Hull and the TV rights needs to reach them.

1 Like

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
The marketing and packaging of the EPL is an investors paradise. The camera angles of the EPL is only closely followed by the German Bundesliga. During the weekends, watch how many people troop out to scratch an EPL game.

We now have Tottenham fans in Nigeria. Someone like me was supporting Sunderland and Cardiff not to get relegated last season.

You can not find this kind of love from other leagues. Even the Champions league is mostly about the big teams like Bayern, Real, Barca and the EPL teams.

The sponsorship is deserved because there are fewer weeks of the Champions league. Imagine advertisers had to wait from Novemeber to February to have their products advertised.
I get your point but you dont get my point.
Look at the NBA BasketBall league in the U.S, its so popular that its bigger than the FIBA basketball worldcup, Basketball as a sport that is so popular by name is falling way behind football as a brand.
If EPL gets UEFA itself, mehn i tell you football will die

1 Like

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:43pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Hull City will earn more than Bayern but won't be a bigger club.

Either way, the big clubs get to play teams like Hull and the TV rights needs to reach them.
so u mean Hull will now be able to purchase players like Bale, Neymar and Suarez all because of TV rights?

1 Like

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

so u mean Hull will now be able to purchase players like Bale, Neymar and Suarez all because of TV rights?
The small clubs will not earn more than Real Madrid or Barca because these two clubs take up to 80% of the TV rights and Platini never cried foul.

In Germany, the TV rights are shared equally so Hull will earn more than Bayern.

Also, Clubs like Bayern, Barca and Real have the historical stuff on their sides.

We were ready to pay Jerome Boateng huge sum of money to stay at Man City but he chose to play for Bayern for Less.

3 Likes

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by Baddestguyp(m): 10:51pm On Feb 17, 2015
this is bad for football, so what will happen to LA liga
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

I get your point but you dont get my point.
Look at the NBA BasketBall league in the U.S, its so popular that its bigger than the FIBA basketball worldcup, Basketball as a sport that is so popular by name is falling way behind football as a brand.
If EPL gets UEFA itself, mehn i tell you football will die
Football will not die. Before, the World Cup had its glory. Very few watched tapes or clips of European league games but focused on World Cup matches. The games like the Italy vs Argentina match of 1990 were debated for years.

Today, the Champions league has eclipsed the World Cup. Football did not die. So if the EPL eclipses the Champions league, football won't die.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
Baddestguyp:
this is bad for football, so what will happen to LA liga
People still play football in Belgium. The LA Pigs will be like a feeder league just like the Dutch and Belgian leagues.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
The small clubs will not earn more than Real Madrid or Barca because these two clubs take up to 80% of the TV rights and Platini never cried foul.

In Germany, the TV rights are shared equally so Hull will earn more than Bayern.

Also, Clubs like Bayern, Barca and Real have the historical stuff on their sides.

We were ready to pay Jerome Boateng huge sum of money to stay at Man City but he chose to play for Bayern for Less.
You are forgetting a huge portion of players only play for money.
Very soon the biggest player in EPL will earn more than Messi and Ronaldo, Bale or Neymar, isnt that an insult?
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:55pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

You are forgetting a huge portion of players only play for money.
Very soon the biggest player in EPL will earn more than Messi and Ronaldo, Bale or Neymar, isnt that an insult?
Football is dynamic. The most marketable league takes the stars. Watch the German league. It is rising steadily. As time goes on, investors will break in. Although those who run the German league have been stubborn to foreign investors.

2 Likes

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:56pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Football will not die. Before, the World Cup had its glory. Very few watched tapes or clips of European league games but focused on World Cup matches. The games like the Italy vs Argentina match of 1990 were debated for years.

Today, the Champions league has eclipsed the World Cup. Football did not die. So if the EPL eclipses the Champions league, football won't die.
UCL never eclipsed the world cup in any way, any world cup year always render the champions league useless.
What comes to your mind when you mention football and 2010 in the same sentence?
Same goes with 06, 02, 98
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:58pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
People still play football in Belgium. The LA Pigs will be like a feeder league just like the Dutch and Belgian leagues.
i doubt la liga sponsors will let that happen, historically La Liga has always been a superior league and they wont let that legacy die
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:59pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

UCL never eclipsed the world cup in any way, any world cup year always render the champions league useless.
What comes to your mind when you mention football and 2010 in the same sentence?
Same goes with 06, 02, 98
Are you saying this last world Cup eclipse the Champions League? Not at all. What of 2010 with Mourinho's inter and Van Gaal's Bayern. 2006 the Rijkaard's Barcelona against Arsenal. The Champions league recently can not be rendered useless by the World Cup. That was why Sepp Blatter proposed a two years world cup plan to bring in more games.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:01pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

i doubt la liga sponsors will let that happen, historically La Liga has always been a superior league and they wont let that legacy die
The La Liga was never superior. It has always been Real And Barca. Once in a while, a Villareal, Valencia, or Athletico pop up. But, the EPL has been better marketed than the La Liga.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:03pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Are you saying this last world Cup eclipse the Champions League? Not at all. What of 2010 with Mourinho's inter and Van Gaal's Bayern. 2006 the Rijkaard's Barcelona against Arsenal. The Champions league recently can not be rendered useless by the World Cup. That was why Sepp Blatter proposed a two years world cup plan to bring in more games.
Billions of people watch the world cup, it has a big budget and boosts the host's nation economy.
Go and ask how much the South African Government made in 2010.
What was economic. the effect of Champions League in the E.U as a whole?
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
The La Liga was never superior. It has always been Real And Barca. Once in a while, a Villareal, Valencia, or Athletico pop up. But, the EPL has been better marketed than the La Liga.
La Liga is a superior league historically,
The top 4 clubs with the most trophies are Barca, Real Madrid, Manchester utd, Athletico Bilbao
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

Billions of people watch the world cup, it has a big budget and boosts the host's nation economy.
Go and ask how much the South African Government made in 2010
Because, of its rarity. However, it is forgotten and everyone returns to watching and talking European league football. I bet you, no thread this month has popped up on this site talking about the World Cup games. Before, sports stations play World Cup games for years repeatedly.

2 Likes

Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

La Liga is a superior league historically,
The top 4 clubs with the most trophies are Barca, Real Madrid, Manchester utd, Athletico Bilbao
I believe England has more European Champions than Spain. From Liverpool to Nottingham Forrest, To Manchester United to Chelsea.

Barca and Real does not make the whole league. Lately, the EPL teams are superior than the Spanish teams.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Because, of its rarity. However, it is forgotten and everyone returns to watching and talking European league football. I bet you, no thread this month has popped up on this site talking about the World Cup games. Before, sports stations play World Cup games for years repeatedly.
sport stations still repeat games
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2015
It is wrong denying the EPL the right to earn when they bring the most entertainment and viewers to football. Imagine the Celebration all over the World when Chelsea won the Champions league. That is the power of the EPL.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:10pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
I believe England has more European Champions than Spain. From Liverpool to Nottingham Forrest, To Manchester United to Chelsea.

Barca and Real does not make the whole league. Lately, the EPL teams are superior than the Spanish teams.
valencia, villareal, sevilla, bilbao all have tasted european victory, so what are we talking about?
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:11pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

sport stations still repeat games
Not repeatedly like in the past and I bet they show more EPL games than the World Cup games. As I said, forgotten.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

valencia, villareal, sevilla, bilbao all have tasted european victory, so what are we talking about?
I am talking of the ultimate club prize in Europe. Not the UEFA Cup/Europa League.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Hosting the World Cup every 2 years means that only European and North American countries would be considered. Unless an Aftican country is named as a host, at least, 6 years in advance.
I would also like the Women's World Cup to be hosted every 2 years.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:13pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
It is wrong denying the EPL the right to earn when they bring the most entertainment and viewers to football. Imagine the Celebration all over the World when Chelsea won the Champions league. That is the power of the EPL.
It just has a good financial backing.
The Nigerian League is much tougher than EPL but is not as funded as the latter.
I bet you, if one billionaire comes from nowhere to invest €10 billion in the Nigerian League
Ronaldo will be playing for Warri Wolves, Messi in Enyimba, Neymar in Heartland, Aguero in Bayelsa United.
Its about the money bro.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
CFCfan:

Hosting the World Cup every 2 years means that only European and North American countries would be considered. Unless an Aftican country is named as a host, at least, 6 years in advance.
I would also like the Women's World Cup to be hosted every 2 years.
It could be arranged and it will give more countries a chance to host. I like the idea. I wonder why FIFA officials kicked against it. But, I believe the 2 years World Cup arrangement will happen sooner than later.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
I am talking of the ultimate club prize in Europe. Not the UEFA Cup/Europa League.
yes all the mentioned teams have won Champions League at some point.
Re: EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:16pm On Feb 17, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

It just has a good financial backing.
The Nigerian League is much tougher than EPL but is not as funded as the latter.
I bet you, if one billionaire comes from nowhere to invest €10 billion in the Nigerian League
Ronaldo will be playing for Warri Wolves, Messi in Enyimba, Neymar in Heartland, Aguero in Bayelsa United.
Its about the money bro.
No billionaire will invest unless the FA/NFF takes steps to make the league presentable and marketable. That is why the EPL rocks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The UEFA Champions League Theme Lyrics -- English Translation / This Photo Show Messi Is A Greedy And Bad Person / Yakubu To Leave Blackburn & Join Guangzhou R&F

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.