Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,118 members, 7,811,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted (769 Views)

Happy Ash Wednesday / Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by Niwdog(m): 8:23am On Feb 18, 2015
It's celebrated/performed to mark the begining of the 40days fasting conducted by the roman catholic, but dunno if it's written in the bible.
Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by vjsmiles: 8:27am On Feb 18, 2015
ADOPTED
Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by Niwdog(m): 8:37am On Feb 18, 2015
Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by georgementday(m): 8:45am On Feb 18, 2015
One of many pegan customs that they infused in to the body of Christ

1 Like

Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by bigtt76(f): 8:56am On Feb 18, 2015
Must everything be written in the bible before you practice it? Haba! The key thing is just as Jesus Christ said ....'Do it in remembrance of me'
Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by Syncan(m): 1:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
It is scriptural. The ash Wednesday is the beginning of a forty day retreat period for the church, during this period,

1. members are led to recall the reality of man being nothing but dust and ash.
(Genesis 18:27)And Abraham replied, "Now behold, I have ventured to speak to the Lord, although I am but dust and ashes.

2.This leads to a realization of how great an offense it is; that man(who is but dust) should disobey God in the various ways His commandments have been infringed on, and subsequently ask for pardon.
(Job 42:6) Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes.
(Daniel 9:3)So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes.
(Luke 10:13)"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles had been performed in Tyre and Sidon which occurred in you, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

3.Lastly there is a cultivated motivation to change from old ways of wrong to new ways of right, the length of this period helps one become stronger and more resolute in eliminating vices and acquiring virtues(in summary; to resist temptation), by the graces received from God, who himself originated the time frame using Jesus as an example for us all.
(Matt.4:2)And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungered.
Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by realGod(f): 8:52am On Feb 14, 2018
Please is it any where in the bible i can relate to? Just learning ooooo
Re: Is Ash Wednesday Written In The Bible Or It's Adopted by Syncan(m): 10:07am On Feb 14, 2018
realGod:
Please is it any where in the bible i can relate to? Just learning ooooo

Read the post above yours?

(1) (Reply)

Between Big Churches And Chapels / Why Many Christians Would Go To Hell-unpardonable Sin / NEW: A 1500-year-old Bible Found In Turkey Claims Jesus Christ Was Not Crucified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.