Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,715 members, 7,809,706 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary (73893 Views)

SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by mydeendadon: 12:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
kudos to u bro... good. now I knw. those of u who dey criticize I no blame u coz na dis act oof nt taking corrections dey affect ur life. mumu pple tongue
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by tsdarkside(m): 12:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
justmag:
I had an argument with some ignorant girl about the word "installmentally" and she was very very sure that I was wrong. She was the type that acted like it was a crime to be wrong. I ditched her fast before her ignorance infected me.

na your loose...

you are the ignorant one,, shocked shocked shocked

and then you wonder why other men...get more woman than you..i thank you sha....

more women for me... cool cool cool cool
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by omonnakoda: 12:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
Alright is in standard dictionaries but Nigeria is a major commonwealth country and is entitled to CREATE new words or forms just like Americans e.g "GOTTEN", "Hang out" ,Australians "CHOOK" and South Africans "BAAS" etc.
Nigerians need to have more self confidence and use their creations without inhibition

e.g Get belle Pregnant
Belleful satiated
boocoo =beacoup = plenty
teytey = long time etc

Let s eshew inferiority complex. America does not write to the queen before putting words in American dictionaries why should we ?

5 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by jamillion: 12:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
Objection professor! Not all ur mentioned words ar blunder were "prefix and suffix" exist.
Plz do make an extensive research before u criticize

No ill feeling
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by yash33: 12:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
COLONIALIST,
THERE IS SOMETHING LIKE NIGERIAN ENGLISH,
IF NA AMERICAN ENGLISH NOW YOU GO DEY ADOPT THEIR WORDS LIKE FUFU
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Diogo1(m): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
The word go-slow was actually coined from construction companies boards during road construction vis- GO SLOW, MEN AT WORK. This was used during the 70's and 80's.

So, if you want to ply a route, you would ask a driver you feel is coming from that direction a question like: Go-slow dey Costain?

This is why it's being used in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by lovepraise(f): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
Wow na so we take dey hear am since oooo nor bi only me waka hear am ooo but tanks for d corrections sha
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by dionysus7: 12:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
Merriam Webster disagrees with your alright op

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nicklaus(m): 12:18pm On Feb 18, 2015
I hear "grinded pepper" 2
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by seyisolu(m): 12:18pm On Feb 18, 2015
Gators instead of crease
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by infogenius(m): 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2015
Thanks OP

What about
the word
Bare-footed?
I believe it should be
barefoot.

As in most guys would say I ran after the
chicken barefooted and got injured.
It should read
I ran after the chicken barefoot and
got injured.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by elantraceey(f): 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2015
Wow@ alright
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nature129(m): 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2015
This is nice, but I think Nigeria has come to the level where the world recognises our version of English language because America, British, N/Zealand, Australia, S/Africa, etc have theirs and are all recognised(there's nothing like standard English). So, I don't see the reason why Nigeria's case should be different.
Don't forget, fortunately or unfortunately, many Nigerian parents prefer to train their kids in English Language which makes us good at English Language, at least, better than speakers most Anglophone countries on the continent. Can't wait to start seeing NGE (Nigerian English) in dictionaries.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Rexnegro(m): 12:21pm On Feb 18, 2015
DaGC:
That's why we are Nigerians grin
And is that why we shouldn't take corrections ?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by khassy(m): 12:21pm On Feb 18, 2015
I normally don't post but this caught my attention
Just saw the following words in my dictionary
Plumpy
Cunny
Convocate
Am using a phone dictionary though
Is it still wrong?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nicklaus(m): 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2015
dionysus7:
Merriam Webster disagrees with your alright op
it's use is informal tho, but it's in the dictionary. The OP just finish drinking ebira garri grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by peacemaker23(m): 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2015
me i stil have so many eglish to fomularize
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by championeh(m): 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2015
If this information gets to the Presidency, i believe they might set up a committee to get them approved from Cambridge, Oxford or Harvard to enhance their re-election. grin
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by culdeal: 12:23pm On Feb 18, 2015
EXLOVER:
[/b] KPEKUS, NYASH, BLONBLON,BELLE
grin
EXLOVER:
[b]
KPEKUS, NYASH, BLONBLON,BELLE
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by tsdarkside(m): 12:23pm On Feb 18, 2015
Rexnegro:

if you want to do an exam...you have to know....but on the streets,,who cares...
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by emmyblings(m): 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
You Don start your own just now just now, all right not alright.....lol
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
DucatiKNG:

http://ynaija.com/disvirgin-cross-carpeting-go-slow-7-more-words-you-wont-find-in-the-dictionary/

How about "kitty-cat" and "joystick" as used by seun on nairaland, are they in dictionary?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Weblow: 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2015
vickerz:
WHAT ABOUT P.D.P , GEJ, OTUEKE , AGBAJE., THEY ARE NOT EVEN IN D DICTIONARY OF FOOLS
yeah thats y its only the wise that use them correctly

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by DocAdray(f): 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2015
Nice one OP, I'm guilty of a few...
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2015
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2015
Cross carpeting abi defected? undecided
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by AdeniyiA(m): 12:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
I love Nigeria, if not for our irresponsible and corrupt leaders, Nigeria remains the best place to live cool

2 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by DaGC(m): 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
Rexnegro:

I never said Nigerians are above corrections. I meant that as Nigerians, a few words should be alluded to Nigerians and their language. Nigerians can use them without seeming out of place. The British and Americans both speak english but have words not in each other's dictionaries.

Bootylicious is one word that baffles me in new dictionaries. Weird thing is that for centuries, the word 'booty' wasn't related to someone's buttocks.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
vickerz:
WHAT ABOUT P.D.P , GEJ, OTUEKE , AGBAJE., THEY ARE NOT EVEN IN D DICTIONARY OF FOOLS
How does this relate to the subject?

Continue studying your dictionary of fools..... We can see you are learning a lot.

cool
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by keacy(m): 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
They can still be added in The dictionary

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by redsun(m): 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
English dictionary is a compilation of acceptable and dynamic words that people use to understand and interpretes the world around. Language evolves as time passes,adapting to new age,new ideas,morals,events and inventions. It is like a running river that never stops. When yours stops,you are as good as stopped.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If You Read This Book During Your Primary School, You Should Be Married With Kid / Federal Government Scholarship (fsb 2018) Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.