Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them (28404 Views)

Key Difference Between CV AND RESUME / Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality / 10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Betasms: 11:49am On Feb 18, 2015
Your resume is the first opportunity you get to make an impression on a potential employer. It is also the most crucial one. So, all job seekers must use it to the best of their capabilities. Make sure you try to avoid mistakes that can send your resume straight to the trash bin. The following are the most common mistakes job seekers make while creating their CVs. These mistakes often become the reason for candidates to get rejected.

1. Exaggerating Achievements and Fibbing

Stay honest when you are talking about your work history, skills and achievements. Amplifying these may come back at you when the recruiter runs a background check or wants you to do a certain task that you fibbed about. It takes very little time for the HR professionals to find out the truth. So stop bragging about things you don’t know or are aren’t experienced with as this may be the first and the last time you communicate with this company. Stick to facts that can be validated.

2. Mentioning Non-Contextual Work Experience and Hobbies

Only highlight work experience that is relevant for the profile in question. If you are seeking a graphic designing job, do not mention your stint as a ski instructor from five
 years ago. It may convey a message that you do not hold adequate relevant experience. Stay focused on the profile you are applying to and site past duties that can prove useful for the role in hand.

3. Self-Praise Without Quantified Proof

If your resume’s professional summary starts with “A dedicated professional…,’ the recruiters will lose interest and you lose credibility. Applicants must establish objective facts with the presence of figures, and not just boring clichés. The key is not to say it, but show it. Quantify professional achievements, for instance if you have enhanced client retention by 20% over the last one year, say so explicitly, rather than plainly saying you have excelled as a sales professional.

4. Over-The-Top Beautification

Your resume document must be light and quick to open. Use a font style that is common and do not add heavy images as that can make the file heavy. Using photographs is irrelevant, unless you are an actor or model. They also irk the recruiters because they unnecessarily consume extra ink and take away the focus from your skills. Also, stop designing the CV with borders otherwise a part of it may get cropped when it is printed. Keep it simple yet smart.

5. Using Different Job Titles

Make sure you use job titles that are common and widely-used. These must also be searchable as applicant tracking systems use them as keywords to screen several CVs. Complex words and flowery language may cause the ATS to forego some important information that could have otherwise been useful for your candidature. Even if your resume is in the hands of a human recruiter, uncommon words and unique phrases can alienate you and your application.

6. Generalizing the Content of the CV

As a job seeker, you cannot afford to have a fixed resume that works for all employers. Your CV must be customized each time you wish to apply to a new company. When you find an opening, take some time to carefully read the job description and then edit and personalize your CV before sending it out. You must also visit the company website to get a better idea of their line of businesses and requirements. And double-check the document so that you don’t mistakenly send the CV for Company A to Company B. You can name all resume versions differently.

7. Non-Serious Email Address

Always make sure the email address you use to mail your resume appears non-casual. It must not have numbers or adjectives, else it may seem like you lack professionalism. An address like sarah.cook@gmail.com is way better than coolestengineer@yahoo.com . Whether it is IT or media, a professional-looking ID can help you score more job interviews. If you don’t have such an account, make sure you make one before mailing the resume.

8. Typos and Grammatical Errors

Spelling mistakes can seem highly unprofessional. So make sure you do not make any typos or grammatical mistakes as this can hamper your chances of landing an interview. Also, avoid writing slang or SMS lingo. Shortcuts like ‘ur’ and ‘b4’ can cause trouble.

Hope the above points can warn you against some major blunders and help improve your resume. Happy job hunting!

http://blog.ngcareers.com/3300/biggest-cv-and-resume-blunders-made-by-job-seekers-and-how-to-avoid-them/

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Chigorkizz(m): 2:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
you are on point.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
Alright, seen....

People saying they are proficient in Ms Packages when they never touch keyboard before grin grin... I once read where an Indian company asked an interviewee to add some figures using excel, he come dey look them, after writing he was proficient on his CV grin grin... Just have what you can confidently defend on your CV..

7 Likes

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by odimbannamdi(m): 3:44pm On Feb 18, 2015
OP, it will be a sign of ungratefulness if i dont thank u for this eye-opening post. thank u!!!

i am guilty of number 6, but i will take correction now

7 Likes

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Whizzdom(m): 5:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
OP, You for don get us the Format of a good Resume you are talking about.

Instead of talking and vomiting big big grammars grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by tiamiyukunle69(m): 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
Absolutely correct!!!
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by olola4(m): 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
NYC one op

u really make sense.
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by prelinctus: 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
Forget all these things. If you know somebody that knows somebody that knows the Oga, they'll employ you first before asking you to bring your cv for documentation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Oildichotomy(m): 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
I agree with the other ones BUT No 1

Add a little bit of spice and embellishment to your CV to scale through as regards your job functions and roles. It works like magic

Fake it till you have it --- Just be ready to back it up when the interview presents itself grin

Besides, There is NO clear cut CV rule enacted by employers association or whatnot that all job-seekers should live by.
Different strokes resume for different folks employers

10 Likes

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by lordsharks(m): 5:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
Nice tips
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by silverdam(m): 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2015
Abegi, its all God and Connection... I don't believe in perfect CV. A beautiful friend of mine who has horrible and typo errors in her CV got a job while me with perfect still find it hard to secure ordinary interview. Me and this my friend both went for this interview ooo but she was given the job.

Everything is not all about perfect CV jare, its God, connection, pleasure and luck to get good jobs in Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2015
Nothing to say jhoor...... make i jez buy land keep for here, i go dey develop am later......

1 Like

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by lordsharks(m): 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2015
Oildichotomy:
CV's again

VC's
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2015
And dnt forget abt having connection in high places.....lets nt delude ourselves...its all abt connection.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by lordsharks(m): 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
zick19:
What does this mean
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by lordsharks(m): 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2015
olola4:
NYC one op

u really make sense.
Definitely
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Shinelle(f): 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2015
CV Cv Cv......

Give me jooooobbbbbbbbbbbb!

Lolzz...BTW,nnpc has started contacting people
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by MentorForWealth(m): 5:38pm On Feb 18, 2015
For Real grin grin grin
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by lordsharks(m): 5:39pm On Feb 18, 2015
Shinelle:
CV Cv Cv......

Give me jooooobbbbbbbbbbbb!

Lolzz...BTW,nnpc has started contacting people

Funny u
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
lordsharks:

What does this mean
bro, dat is d fastest way of spacebooking..

1 Like

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by prelinctus: 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
njuwo:
9. Writing on the part labelled 'Sex' Five times a week.
Did you have to quote all that?
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by gistmelove(m): 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by holatin(m): 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
thank for the info
but I don't need it because I create my job and work for my self
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by delors(m): 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
Nice. The email point us very essential. Imagine you almost certainly got the job and while shaking your hands, your prospective employer remembers something and requests for your email, and you say "bang_anything@hotmail.com"...Daz all

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Holuwathoby(m): 5:42pm On Feb 18, 2015
good one
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by Oildichotomy(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
lordsharks:

VC's
Yeah
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by pappilo(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
Not all true.

You have to sex up your CV and sometimes outrightly lie to get noticed. I know many people that broke into their current field by outrightly lying and going all out cowboy.

Apart from Doctors, Engineer, Architects and similar jobs, most people can do most jobs. They just need on the job training. Every business wants an experienced Business Analyst or Project Manager but no one wants their business to be a training centre.

The job market is extremely competitive so you've got to 'market' yourself in the best possible way to stand a chance.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by cescky(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
grin Hmm
Well dunno what to say oo

Based on experience when a job is urs,its urs no one will have time to check all that oo.

Good to fufil all righteousness sha

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by lordsharks(m): 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2015
holatin:
thank for the info
but I don't need it because I create my job and work for my self

Good
Re: Biggest CV And Resume Blunders Made By Job Seekers And How To Avoid Them by kelvinnn(m): 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2015
Na wa oo all dis wahala because of job? Also "experience" palava... undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just Got A Job Interview Invite From Magdala, Who Else Got It? / Recruitment Into State Civil Service. Interview Questions? / 774,000 Jobs: Soldiers Beat Up Applicants In Ibadan (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.