Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria (27438 Views)

See How Marriage Used To Be Sweet; B4 The Love Of Money Started Scattering Homes / Solution To The Top 3 Major Marriage Problems Marriage Has Difficult / How Marriage Affects Relationships With Close Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Raiders: 7:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
Wedding is overhype in Nigeria. I don't intend to spend much money on my wedding. I am going for a court wedding. The most important thing is to have a happy marriage life.

5 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by mightycrown1(m): 7:12pm On Feb 28, 2015
marriage or buyiage?

3 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by DrWhizy(m): 7:30pm On Feb 28, 2015
Evina:

Ammyluv, if loving you will cost me 14 years in jail, I'd gladly pay the price. grin

Honestly! And you need to attend the marriage classes organized by some churches to see how the counsellors and pastors do shakara. They even told us we MUST specially feed the pastors and ALL the church unit members!

If I had my way, NO white wedding! angry I have even told my vineyard that there will be no bride's maids, groom's men and asoebi!

In fact, when he told me how much he intended to spend, I reduced the budget by 50% and told him we would use the rest to open an account for our children's education/welfare.

I am very irritated at the thought of spending so much for a ceremony that wouldn't last more than a few hours. All those talk of you only wed once don't move me. There is a life after the wedding!
wish my ex could think this way undecided

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 28, 2015
my girlfriend is on nairaland so I wont talk. What the Op mentioned is the same reason we have so many single men and women wearing engagement rings for 3 years they now become "lord of the rings". Enough said

5 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Mars88(m): 7:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
I'm glad people are saying the needful like i have always advocated. I am an African and a wedding to me is not beyond paying the dowry and getting accepted by your inlaws. The church stuff is fake! Doing same thing twice

4 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Ellababy808(f): 7:43pm On Feb 28, 2015
U need to see how white people do their weding. Just 5 or 10 members of both families wit litle or no food or drink they are al hapy and fufiled. Get a free manual for stubborn chest pains and infections http://www.doublegandm.com/download.html

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47pm On Feb 28, 2015
Left to me I'll have my wedding on a Thursday afternoon between 12 noon and 1pm, with only immediate family and friends not exceeding 50 at the most. Take away packs for everybody containing food and whatever. Low budget wedding. I'll rather spend the money and time on something that will generate income. I'd even prefer to give the wife the money to do business than spend it all for a ceremony that doesn't guarantee the success of the marriage. It's not about having the money or not but being pragmatic. How many expensive/celebrity weddings have crashed? Did the money spent insulate them from the normal issues of marriage? Why the needless expense. Just my two cents.

2 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by chally02(m): 7:50pm On Feb 28, 2015
In my Opinion as a christian, Wedding should be once in a life time thing, as such IF ONE IS FINANCIALLY Buoyant I see nothing in spending for it and making it classy.

Well The word is " Cut your Coat according to your size". Its not every wedding that demand millions

Enough said

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by youngalex(m): 8:09pm On Feb 28, 2015
Searching for a dark plumpy igbo babe in the diaspora for marriage ASAP...Marriage is seriously becoming a luxury for naija o,all my plus 30 guys are marrying out(diaspora)

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by October1960: 8:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
??

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by October1960: 8:11pm On Feb 28, 2015
Correct!

Raiders:
Wedding is overhype in Nigeria. I don't intend to spend much money on my wedding. I am going for a court wedding. The most important thing is to have a happy marriage life.

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by mentorandfriend(m): 8:14pm On Feb 28, 2015
Evina:

Ammyluv, if loving you will cost me 14 years in jail, I'd gladly pay the price. grin

Honestly! And you need to attend the marriage classes organized by some churches to see how the counsellors and pastors do shakara. They even told us we MUST specially feed the pastors and ALL the church unit members!

If I had my way, NO white wedding! angry I have even told my vineyard that there will be no bride's maids, groom's men and asoebi!

In fact, when he told me how much he intended to spend, I reduced the budget by 50% and told him we would use the rest to open an account for our children's education/welfare.

I am very irritated at the thought of spending so much for a ceremony that wouldn't last more than a few hours. All those talk of you only wed once don't move me. There is a life after the wedding!
Nne, I wish all women think like you. Since this week, I've been reading comments of intelligent women on issues about marriage, love, relationship, etc. Thumbs up sweery.
cc: babyosisi
Intelligent women are great treasures.

2 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by obiaguna(m): 8:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
Funjosh:
A friend of mine is about getting married to a benin woman, and the list giving to him is approximately 1.5m sad

1.5m for everything including white wedding,trad et al or what?
Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by ammyluv2002(f): 8:19pm On Feb 28, 2015
lyntiffany:
love your comment cheesy you spoke the truth.
Tnx dear

3 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 28, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

THIS IS WHY I WILL KEEP ADVISING SENSIBLE MEN TO LOOK FOR WIVES ABROAD. MARRIAGE HERE IS OVERHYPED AND A FAST WAY TO DEBT AND BANKRUPTCY. THE NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE A BUNCH OF INSATIABLE CREATURES. THEY SUCK MEN DRY LIKE A BED BUG AND MONEY IS ALL THEY UNDERSTAND.

I WILL NEVER ADVISE MY ENEMIES TO EVEN GO NEAR ANY NIGERIAN LADY COS OF THEIR MONEY HUNGRY NATURE. THEY ARE ALSO FOND OF ADULTERY WHEN THE HUSBAND IS NOT AROUND OR FINANCIALLY DOWN.

THEY HAVE NOTHING INTELLECTUALLY BUT JUST TO OPEN THEIR SMELLY GAPS FOR GULLIBLE MEN TO KNACK. THEY ARE A SPECIE I DESPISE SO MUCH.

HE WHO HAS EARS SHOULD LISTEN. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, TRAVEL ABROAD AND MARRY A FOREIGN GIRL angry

#Team foreign girls cool

You are right bro... Have been going to my friend family guest house for some months now, there is an area of the guest house used for short rest in which they pay 500 naira for an hour to use. You won't believe the number of married women brought there every day, week in week out to be laid down... I just look and shake my head for there husband and kids.

3 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

THIS IS WHY I WILL KEEP ADVISING SENSIBLE MEN TO LOOK FOR WIVES ABROAD. MARRIAGE HERE IS OVERHYPED AND A FAST WAY TO DEBT AND BANKRUPTCY. THE NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE A BUNCH OF INSATIABLE CREATURES. THEY SUCK MEN DRY LIKE A BED BUG AND MONEY IS ALL THEY UNDERSTAND.

I WILL NEVER ADVISE MY ENEMIES TO EVEN GO NEAR ANY NIGERIAN LADY COS OF THEIR MONEY HUNGRY NATURE. THEY ARE ALSO FOND OF ADULTERY WHEN THE HUSBAND IS NOT AROUND OR FINANCIALLY DOWN.

THEY HAVE NOTHING INTELLECTUALLY BUT JUST TO OPEN THEIR SMELLY GAPS FOR GULLIBLE MEN TO KNACK. THEY ARE A SPECIE I DESPISE SO MUCH.

HE WHO HAS EARS SHOULD LISTEN. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, TRAVEL ABROAD AND MARRY A FOREIGN GIRL angry

#Team foreign girls cool

You are right bro... Have been going to my friend family guest house for some months now, there is an area of the guest house used for short rest in which they pay 500 naira for an hour to use. You won't believe the number of married women brought there every day, week in week out to be laid down... I just look and shake my head for there husband and kids.
Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by sophtaf(f): 8:32pm On Feb 28, 2015
Rapmoney:

The most annoying part is that people save to marry! Is it suppose to be that way?
befor na free u wan carry her go ur Huz?d parent brought her into dis world n train her for u to c n wnt,d least u cn do for them is 2 do d needful

2 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by rossychik(f): 8:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

#Team foreign girls cool
U don finish ur ranting? So to u. U feel of shore ladies re beta well nija is loaded wit d good d bad. D ugly and d beatiful. As 4 d topic I advice dt moderatn shud b d watch word but sayin dt weddin dependin on ur religion shud b ignored I don't support it
And 4 dis Tooo Gooood girls here who re sayin it is nt necessary dts ur own cup of tea
All I knw is that I really enjoyed my weddin day and it will memorable.

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by sugah: 8:54pm On Feb 28, 2015

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 28, 2015
kenock:
Marriage is done ones in a life time, if you have the money why not make it luxury, afterall the money is to be speny, or are you keeping them for your casket purchase if you die, poor mans talk
that's wedding not marriage. Marriage is the rent the school fees the utility bills things you see the value when you pay for it. Wedding well.....its wedding

2 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 28, 2015
12inches1:
my girlfriend is on nairaland so I wont talk. What the Op mentioned is the same reason we have so many single men and women wearing engagement rings for 3 years they now become "lord of the rings". Enough said

Lol I have a friend bought an engagement ring since 2013 hasn't proposed because of money we call him frodo baggins. Obviously you know why.

3 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by ify84(m): 9:09pm On Feb 28, 2015
I will in future set up an NGO dat will campaign aggressively for the drastic reduction in the cost of marriage, especially the items on the list. All these traditions must stop for new ones.... Man is not made for tradition, rather tradition is made for man to adjust

2 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by anukulapo: 9:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Trash! White wedding is a waste of resources, it's not biblical. People need to be wise and stop chasing shadows. Paying of the woman's bride price is what expected of every male Christian to perform even the celebration after paying the dowry is a total waste, I don't subscribe to it. Any pastor that refuses to recognise a wedding done traditionally needs to be questioned if he truly understands the bible.
I wouldn't even recognise such pastor.

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by anukulapo: 9:11pm On Feb 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Trash! White wedding is a waste of resources, it's not biblical. People need to be wise and stop chasing shadows. Paying of the woman's bride price is what expected of every male Christian to perform even the celebration after paying the dowry is a total waste, I don't subscribe to it. Any pastor that refuses to recognise a wedding done traditionally needs to be questioned if he truly understands the bible.
I wouldn't even recognise such pastor myself.

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Rhemmymatician(m): 9:12pm On Feb 28, 2015
HoneySwag:
Hmmmm see wat poverty is causin ooooooo. Work hard for success n u won't be rantin all these bullshit, instead u'll enjoy spendin money on expensive stuffs....
Synonym for 'poverty' in this YOUR context will be 'vanity', 'wastefulness', 'folly'

3 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 28, 2015
durocity:

If i keep talking on here those foolish girls and them woman wrapper guys will be accusing me of hate. Thank God u are witnesse to the female insanity. Nigerian girls are garbage

3 Likes

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by Mclick(m): 9:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
though there are cases of outrageous religiously of ignorance, Wise Pastors and singles knows better. Well some are still single because of white gown sha
Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by HoneySwag(f): 9:20pm On Feb 28, 2015
Rhemmymatician:

Synonym for 'poverty' in this YOUR context will be 'vanity', 'wastefulness', 'folly'

Dats to uuuuuuu bt if u plan ur life n achiev success...u won't be complainin abt luxurious weddin
Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by anukulapo: 9:25pm On Feb 28, 2015
Evina:

That is because they have been enjoying the privilege that is attached to such arrangement. Setting up a new system that would place them at par with the old levitical priests;always having to benefit regardless of who suffers.

Evina:

You can have your way. Traditional wedding only is rather becoming the order of the day. More people are embracing the truth (which always sets people free) and damning the sentiment of "church white wedding" burden.

Evina:

You can follow my pattern. Tell them that they should carry the burden of the party while you alone pay for the bride price.
Moreover,awon lo ye ki wan se igbeyawo for omo (na dem suppose dey proud of doing marriage for their child)

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by anukulapo: 9:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
Evina:

Especially in Nigeria where the wedding is not just about the couple but families as well.
More reason for the families to bear the expenses. Let them handle the wedding "ceremony" while you handle the marriage (which you are expected to anyway).

1 Like

Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 9:30pm On Feb 28, 2015
I'm telling you. Hiaannn
KanwuliaJara:
Life is a LUXURY in Nigeria. . . .
@ $1 to N250 ?
Death is better o!
Chai!!!!

OYEL money don finish. . . shakara do h-end! cry
Re: How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria by anukulapo: 9:40pm On Feb 28, 2015
HoneySwag:
Hmmmm see wat poverty is causin ooooooo. Work hard for success n u won't be rantin all these bullshit, instead u'll enjoy spendin money on expensive stuffs....
You have a point except that as it concerns this subject matter,it doesn't tally.
Money or no money,people detest being enslaved to a foreign mentality and unnecessary financial burden.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Most Annoying Experience You Had With Your Dad? / Baby Musa Reunites With His Family / Advice Needed On My Late Dad's 1st Remembrance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.