Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." (3693 Views)

I Interviewed The Head Of HR At The Nigerian Stock Exchange - what she said! / I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by ayobase(m): 1:44am On Feb 19, 2015
Would You Hire “Someone” With A Hotmail Account?
Culled from a group discussion on linkedin where Ian Mitchell pointed out that applicants with Hotmail shouldn’t be employed.
Here we go:
Ian Mitchell
Programme Manager at Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency – SAMA
”DON'T HIRE SOMEONE WITH A HOTMAIL ACCOUNT QUOTE RUSLAN KOGAN”

Replies
Brady Ivimey
Programme Manager - IT Infrastructure at Fletcher Building
”I was talking with about this with a friend just recently... We thought the potential problem was not so much whether it was Gmail or Hotmail etc, but the prefix of the email address. I've received quite a few resumes from candidates with emails like "hotchickblah@hotmail.com", which while fun for friends might not be the image that you want to be portraying to a potential employer. Thus it may not be perceived as professional... that said, we agreed that it was the content of the resume that was material and thus was more important. Over the years I've had a good giggle at some peoples email addresses in resumes, but doubt it’s ever influenced a hiring decision that I have made. Candidates are people and it’s the person I want to get to know, so if an email address can provide an insight into someone’s personality, the more power to them I say.”

LS Kong
Director, Operational Excellence at Eng Peng Cold Storage s/b
“Hotmail - minus minus
Yahoo - minus
Gmail - ok
Current or ex-employer company email - triple minuses
Gmail with proper corporate like account name e.g. michael.taylor@gmail - double pluses details like this tell you a lot about a candidate.
Those who started with hotmail are older, yes, I started with hotmail too, almost 20 years ago now, but those who stuck with hotmail for their everyday, personal, correspondences, say something about themselves, and yeah, those traits might not be viewed positively for certain jobs and positions. It's ok if you don't get it, but if your concern is more political correctness then good luck to you.”

Thomas Fransen
Senior Project Manager and Program Manager at Cumula B.V.
“Although I had my laughs about e-mail addresses too, I don't think it matters what the e-mail account name matters, nor provides info around "fit to purpose" of the person behind the address. Use of Hotmail addresses, or Gmail alike, might even prove someone being cost-effective and not being brand-sensitive. However, the e-mail handle should in my opinion always stay away from being amicably or even clumsiness”

Alys Russell
Project Manager at Assystem
“I think what Ruslan Kogan really meant, in his own "provocative" way, was that every company needs to find filters when it comes to selecting potential candidates, in order to be sure that they will match the culture of the company. Up to you to find the filters that suits your company's culture.
In his case, he views people with hotmail accounts as being less "tech savvy" than people with their own domain names or a Gmail account, so that's how he does it.
As it was said before, I would definitely filter by email handle rather than provider.
And the assumption that people with a Gmail account are more tech savvy, well, might have been true at some point, but nowadays, even my kids’ grandparents have a Gmail address!”

Piero Mancino
PM and Agile Trainer, Consultant PMP CSM ITIL)

“Can’t judge a book by its cover”
Ejaz Hayder (Associate Director at EY)
“I've been using my Hotmail account for years and never had any issues. Personally I think it would be quite petty to judge purely on what email account the applicant chooses to have.”

Marek Gronoski (Board Member at brAInode)
“It's about presence. I assume that, especially in IT, someone sending application from Yahoo! mail probably isn't detailist person.”

Juan Serrano (Project Manager TAFENSW Illawarra)
“FYI there's some more to Ruslan Kogan's statement....But back to his problem with Hotmail. Kogan doesn’t just sell online, but harnesses technology to work out what items and how many to sell and how to reach which customers. The company employs three people to just analyse data – such as trends from Google search statistics.
Kogan only considers CVs that come via Gmail, reasoning most tech-savvy people want Gmail’s functionality and speed. “We want people who are passionate about technology and using technology, not scared of change,” he says. “It might not be 100 per cent accurate but when you have one position and 250 applications you need to look at ways of doing things.”

PArdha Saradhi UVN
Senior Delivery Management Professional
“What would be the issue here? Hotmail is one of the oldest email account and those who don't want to use multiple email accounts still will still have old hotmail account; from a user friendly and available client software perspective also, Hotmail is still one of the best smiley as a PM, one use MS office, Project products extensively and MS provided an outlook connector for accessing Hotmail even from office laptops, so what is the actual issue here? smiley

Martyn Bennett
Global Head of Projects at e2v
“If potential employees think an individual with a Gmail account is more tech savvy than someone with a hotmail account then I worry about what they define as tech savvy.
I have both accounts, please my own domain, but use my hotmail account most through no other reason than habit.
If judging whether I am tech savvy is based on my email provider then I have wasted my time and effort on becoming a Chartered Engineer, having a Masters degree in Engineering and working on highly complex engineering solutions from main battle weaponry, satellite communications, space technology etc. fir the past 30 plus years. If an employer does not want to read, or interview me, because I have a hotmail account (in my full name) then i suggest they have little vision and it is their loss. Being judged because of your email provider wow!”

Left for me, I will advise you go for Gmail account. Besides the fact that it is more savvy and easy to navigate with more social and more functions with sound packaging, don’t be surprised if our Companies here in Nigeria start using possession of Gmail account as one of the criteria to disqualifying applicants upon coming across WESTERN related article as this. We both know dem dey reason!
Thus, to be on the safer side, get yourself a Gmail account today with your first name and last name, and not the one with suffixes or prefixes as 4love, 4real, sexy, gistwith……

http://johnomolaolu..com/2015/02/would-you-hire-someone-with-hotmail.html

1 Like

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by LaPink: 2:01am On Feb 19, 2015
Hmmmm. Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by ITbomb(m): 7:29am On Feb 19, 2015
Yeah, I noticed that as well, 80% of people I know who have a yahoo account had experience of internet since 2000+, but now every dick with a droid must have a Gmail account.

If I were to employ based on this, I will take those who are operating the two accounts cos (1) You probably have long experience of Technology and Internet (yahoo) and (2) You have evolved which means you are not afraid of trying new things and sticking to the best of the two situations

2 Likes

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by Horrlah(f): 8:37am On Feb 19, 2015
Lol.it s makes no difference
Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by Mustay(m): 9:25am On Feb 19, 2015
From the use of ridiculous usernames to the domains Seriously Very soon, applicants would be expected to use premium domains.

I'd be more concerned about the security/safety of the contents I am sending the potential employee than their domain. As much as we want to be 'paper-psychologists' via a candidate's CV, it is still an unscientific basis to disqualify/judge candidates. Everyone has an idea of the ideal candidate but a summary of the candidate in 2 pages [b] can never [/b]present correctly WHO the real candidate is! Abeegggiiii undecided

1 Like

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by XtraSmooth404: 9:53am On Feb 19, 2015
Smoothtohbadt@gmail.com all the way.
Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by yuzedo: 12:56pm On Feb 19, 2015
Valid. Up to a certain point.

......... Convince me that this isn't a ploy from the Marketing Department of Google to boost Gmail usage (against Yahoo). undecided

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln (1994)

5 Likes

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by yomalex(m): 1:16pm On Feb 19, 2015
It means someone with firstname@FirstnameSurname.com will get the job lol

1 Like

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
Rubbish.

This must be the flimsiest excuse not to hire someone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by kent79: 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
Educative
Re: Why She Said, "Don't Hire Someone With A Hotmail Account." by babafunny(m): 3:49pm On Dec 01, 2015
Msn hotmail is a popular and free webmail service meant to soot your email need at any time and any day. Just like yahoo and Gmail, click to here to login. for more details, follow the link below
http://www.techvaid.com/msn-hotmail-sign-in-msn-sign-in-www-hotmail-com/

(1) (Reply)

PVTI Invite For Interview / Pls Who Can Tell Me Salary Scale Of Lagbus And Lamata Workers / Get Your Rejected Or New Upwork Account Approved Instantly In 30 Mins! Genuine!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.