Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! (5998 Views)

He Was Interviewed In The Morning, Company Saw This On His Twitter Page Later / How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. / I Interviewed The Head Of HR At The Nigerian Stock Exchange - what she said! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 11:52am On Feb 15, 2016
If your're struggling to get a job, and you're wondering 'What am I doing wrong? What is that employers want that I don’t have?' - this interview will help you gain a level of clarity.

I had the rare privilege of interviewing an international HR practitioner, who is currently the HR Director of a global multinational, working in their Lagos office. I asked her to provide answers to some of the most burning questions on the minds of young job-seekers.

She gave the inside scoop on:

1. The key employability skills employers look for in graduates
2. How to use social media platforms like LinkedIn to find jobs
3. How to negotiate your salary / pay package
+ lots more!

It's an audio recording and you can listen here:

http://skillsonthehouse.com/insider-tips-and-tricks-from-an-international-hr-practioner/

That's me on the left by the way grin grin

5 Likes

Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by yorex2011: 12:32pm On Feb 15, 2016
grin cheesy cheesy
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by komek(m): 1:00pm On Feb 15, 2016
Nice one a @ OP. I listened to ur guest. Well said and good job to you too.

But wait o, all those things they(HR) want from an applicant, how much would they be ready to pay. An HR wants the best hand in the market and most times they will not keep their part of the bargain.
I guess their is no job in this country jare. The Supply for Labour is higher than the demand for labour and that's the reason for all those skills and qualifications. Eg she said ur look matters a lot, what if you have not been employed for like one year after sch, how does she want u to look? Good right? Without maintenance abi? Abeg u guys shud just chill. Some pple who are working today are not better than those who have not been opportuned to secure a job jare.

8 Likes

Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by trailblaiza(m): 1:12pm On Feb 15, 2016
This should boost the chances of smart job seekers in the Labour Market. Good job OP

I already signed up on the site and hoping to get your Newsletters. Great initiative. The latter part of the recording however wasn't that clear. Please take note in case of next time. Seriously, I would love to hear more recordings like this. I already bookmarked the site (feels like this is gonna be one addiction. LOL)

Would be glad to be part of this if the chance ever surfaces. Presently running my Masters in Industrial and Labour Relations.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by FrankLampard: 1:22pm On Feb 15, 2016
At OP nice one

@komek

Most of this HR executive were dullards in the various field they graduated from, but were just opportune through connection to get to the level they are now.

You see many if them getting 3rd class and pass on their various courses in the university. Yet they come here on social media to brag. I personally know of one in my street, she graduated with pass in Statistics (very simple course), but through her uncle got a job in a small firm not even a big one self, yet if you hear her downgrade Nigerian unemployed graduate, you will cry.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by trailblaiza(m): 1:29pm On Feb 15, 2016
cool
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 2:34pm On Feb 15, 2016
Hi everyone, thanks soo much for the feedback, I'm glad you liked it. The plan is to get into as many Nigerian companies as possible, and get the people in charge of HR and recruitment to give us the inside gist.

Really sorry about the poor audio, not sure what happened but it suddenly went wonky at a point - I will try my best to make sure it doesn't happen in subsequent interviews cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2016
@komek, thanks for you comment. So I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from, and yes you are right - it is sometimes not fair that recruiters make all these demands from job-seekers - unfortunately it is what it is, they have the upper hand simply by virtue of the fact that supply of labour is higher than demand like you rightly pointed out. Having said that, it doesn't mean that there are no opportunities out there - it's a 'survival of the fittest' kind of situation, and only the strong will survive. So I generally advice job seekers to learn as much as they can about what it takes to get a foot in the door, and that is one of the things Skills On The House is trying to do.

komek:
Nice one a @ OP. I listened to ur guest. Well said and good job to you too.

But wait o, all those things they(HR) want from an applicant, how much would they be ready to pay. An HR wants the best hand in the market and most times they will not keep their part of the bargain.
I guess their is no job in this country jare. The Supply for Labour is higher than the demand for labour and that's the reason for all those skills and qualifications. Eg she said ur look matters a lot, what if you have not been employed for like one year after sch, how does she want u to look? Good right? Without maintenance abi? Abeg u guys shud just chill. Some pple who are working today are not better than those who have not been opportuned to secure a job jare.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by palladin: 2:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
The interview is quite illuminating. she seemed to emphasized on skills.

But @op you tall oh. smiley

Anyway Anyone who needs Dragnet, SHL, Workforce PQ & answers should check this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/2685888/myjob-mobile-app-android
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by Akosxxx(m): 3:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Someone please create a link to download the audio content.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by nenergy(m): 4:35pm On Feb 15, 2016
palladin:
The interview is quite illuminating. she seemed to emphasized on skills.

But @op you tall oh. smiley

Anyway Anyone who needs Dragnet, SHL, Workforce PQ & answers should check this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/2685888/myjob-mobile-app-android

I finally wrote the piece. See this:
http://www.thejobseekerscreed.com/2016/02/myjob-mobile-app-job-seekers-app.html
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by ProudOlodo: 4:41pm On Feb 15, 2016
Akosxxx:
Someone please create a link to download the audio content.
You want to spoil business for OP? undecided
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by abumeinben(m): 5:19pm On Feb 15, 2016
shocked shocked

I'm running outa data (MB grin) already....could you highly the key points here?
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by abumeinben(m): 5:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
GenoMI:

What are u exactly?

And u seem to have 3 monikers on nl

MiddyO
Flowers
undecided
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by Samspeaks(m): 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
@GenoMI Well done .
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
Thanks @Samspeaks cheesy

Samspeaks:
@GenoMI Well done .
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 5:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
Ahh @abumeinben - my name is Genevieve a.k.a GenoMi on NL (no other handle or 'moniker') grin.

I have my profile here - http://skillsonthehouse.com/about/

abumeinben:

What are u exactly?

And u seem to have 3 monikers on nl

MiddyO
Flowers
undecided
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by Beta1: 6:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
Pure Statistics very simple? wakeup may be the gave you statistics for sociology. If it is pure statistics as a course under Physical or Natural Science. U won't say such.
@FrankLampard : 1:22pm
At OP nice one
@komek

Most of this HR executive were dullards in the various field they
graduated from, but were just opportune through connection to get
to the level they are now.
You see many if them getting 3rd class and pass on their vario
us
courses in the university. Yet they come here on social media to
brag. I personally know of one in my street, she graduated with
pass in Statistics (very simple course), but through her uncle got a
job in a small firm not even a big one self, yet if you hear her
downgrade Nigerian unemployed graduate, you will cry.
( Quote) ( Report ) 1 Like ( Like ) ( Share)
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by davide470(m): 6:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
Nice One GenoMI and you got a nice blog/website too.
But aside advisory services, what else do you offer?
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by obinoral1179(m): 6:29pm On Feb 15, 2016
FrankLampard:
At OP nice one

@komek

Most of this HR executive were dullards in the various field they graduated from, but were just opportune through connection to get to the level they are now.

You see many if them getting 3rd class and pass on their various courses in the university. Yet they come here on social media to brag. I personally know of one in my street, she graduated with pass in Statistics (very simple course), but through her uncle got a job in a small firm not even a big one self, yet if you hear her downgrade Nigerian unemployed graduate, you will cry.
you called statistics a simple course. please tell the whole world what you study and let compare and contrast.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by samjadinero(m): 6:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
FrankLampard:
At OP nice one

@komek

Na so my brother.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by palladin: 6:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
nenergy:

I finally wrote the piece. See this:
http://www.thejobseekerscreed.com/2016/02/myjob-mobile-app-job-seekers-app.html

Wow. I'm impressed and grateful. It's good. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by FrankLampard: 6:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
obinoral1179:
you called statistics a simple course. please tell the whole world what you study and let compare and contrast.

Sorry bro, don't take it personal, I did some a STAT courses and they were very simple to me then. Sorry for generalizing.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by Samspeaks(m): 7:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
GenoMI:
Thanks @Samspeaks cheesy

I am a presenter and content writer. Let me know how we can work together. Heres my mail. samspeaks1@yahoo.com.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by obinoral1179(m): 7:31pm On Feb 15, 2016
FrankLampard:

Sorry bro, don't take it personal, I did some a STAT courses and they were very simple to me then. Sorry for generalizing.
apology accepted, that is the beauty of statistics. They are few courses that will not offer statistics in our tertiary institution but what you guys offer is just the application aspect of some model but will formulate the model you used. we are called the unsung hero and we can fit in anywhere especially where human and data are involve. if Nigeria can get their statistics right, then we are good to go. gracias to you bro.
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by abumeinben(m): 8:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
GenoMI:
Ahh @abumeinben - my name is Genevieve a.k.a GenoMi on NL (no other handle or 'moniker') grin.

I have my profile here - http://skillsonthehouse.com/about/

Well...it's alryt.

Will go tru u blog later....would've love Listen to that chat...no data..

I don't know if you can send me the audio
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by ndcide(m): 9:35pm On Feb 15, 2016
Nice one Madam Genevieve, you are doing a great job with this. Is this what you do full-time?
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by nebokings(m): 6:47am On Feb 16, 2016
obinoral1179:
apology accepted, that is the beauty of statistics. They are few courses that will not offer statistics in our tertiary institution but what you guys offer is just the application aspect of some model but will formulate the model you used. we are called the unsung hero and we can fit in anywhere especially where human and data are involve. if Nigeria can get their statistics right, then we are good to go. gracias to you bro.

i was shocked when he/she claimed statistics was a CHEAP COURSE....what they did was a brief aspect of statistics taught in SS1.But i am not blaming him/her because it was an emotional statement
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 9:46am On Feb 16, 2016
Hi @ndcide, not yet, I still work a 9 - 5, but will soon transition to this full-time grin

ndcide:
Nice one Madam Genevieve, you are doing a great job with this. Is this what you do full-time?
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 9:52am On Feb 16, 2016
Hi davide470, thanks for your comment. I will be launching my signature online course in June to help young job seekers successfully transition from education to employment. I will continue to publish my weekly videos and HR expert interviews and those will be accessible to everybody!

davide470:
Nice One GenoMI and you got a nice blog/website too.

But aside advisory services, what else do you offer?

1 Like

Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by GenoMI: 9:53am On Feb 16, 2016
Hi @abumeiben, I will summarise the interview and let the house know once I put it up on the blog

abumeinben:

Well...it's alryt.

Will go tru u blog later....would've love Listen to that chat...no data..

I don't know if you can send me the audio
Re: I Interviewed The HR Executive Of A Global Multinational - Here's What She Said! by ifeajikap(m): 9:54am On Feb 16, 2016
I listened to your audio it was nice tried to volunteer myself in an organisation once in the accounting dept to get experience nd I was told the accounting dept was meant for only yorubas

(1) (2) (Reply)

INTERSOS Nigeria Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Urgent Advice On Dangote/nnpc Promo / NBPLC Sales Executives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.