Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,615 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court (1061 Views)

Charles Okah, Kanu May Be Freed As MEND, FG Strike Deal To End N-delta Crisis / Charles Okah's Daughter Tarila To Wed, Visits Dad In Prison To Seek Blessing / “you Mean I’m Now A Prisoner?” – Lamido Exclaims After Court Sends Him To Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by RecruitmentMgr: 3:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
The alleged mastermind of the 2010 Independence Day bombing, Charles Okah, on Thursday told a Federal High Court in Abuja that he was now ready to face trial which has been delayed at his instance for over four years.

For four years, the prosecution has been unable to open its case to prove the terrorism charges preferred against both Okah and his co-accused, Obi Nwabueze, due to series of interlocutory applications the defence had filed.

“I am medically and physically and psychologically ready for the trial,” Okah said after the presiding judge, Justice Gabriel Kolawole, granted his request to speak after the matter was adjourned ‎till April 23.

‎Okah, who for the first time in his recent court appearances, walked into the court without any assistance or use of wheel chair, said he had suffered a lot of medical and psychological conditions due to ill treatment he had been subjected to in the prison.

“For four years we have been subjected to gross violation of our fundamental human rights,” he added.

‎He stood in the dock along with his co-accused, Obi Nwabueze‎, looking more refreshed than his previous court appearances‎.

Okah said the condition in the prison and the treatment he was being subjected to in the prison had overtime improved due to intervention of the International Red Cross Society and the British High Commission.

He said, “Contrary to the impression that the prosecution created for the court ‎to believe, I have not tried to delayed the trial.

“I want the trial to go on so that this evidence they have been talking about and the witnesses they said they have can be brought to court.

“I wanted them to come to court. I will want to know if they have been intimidated or bribed‎; I want to know if they are witnesses of truth.”

‎”Nobody is more desperate for the trial to go on more than those,” he added.

But the lead prosecuting counsel, Dr. Alex Izinyon (SAN), in a dismissive reaction, said (Okah) could speak ‎so eloquently as he did, yet he had delayed the matter for years.

‎The matter which started in December 2010 had suffered series of adjournments with a bulk of the court sessions dedicated to hearing of Okah’s interlocutory applications relating to his mental fitness to stand trial.

The most recent in the causes of the over four years delay was ‎the sacking of his lawyer, Mr. Festus Keyamo, whose law firm, had been defending him since the inception of the case.

After Okah dispensed with Keyamo’s law firm in October 2010, th‎e court on December 4, 2014 ordered the Federal Government-owned Legal Aid Council to assign lawyer to Okah and his co-accused when the issue of non-availability of lawyers to defend them was constituting a further delay in the case.

In compliance with the court’s order, Mr. A.S Abula‎ of the Legal Aid Council appeared in court on Thursday and sought time to study the record of proceedings and other necessary documents relating to the case for adequate preparation for the defence.

The judge granted the request, adding that despite the delay which the case had suffered, ‎”in a matter such as this the court should make haste slowly‎.”

‎Two others were initially charged along with Okah and Nwabueze. One of them who chose to have his case tried separately was decided on January 2, 2013, while the other person died in custody.

Charles Okah, a brother to a former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, Henry Okah, is being tried alongside Obi Nwabueze for the bomb attack near the Eagle Square in Abuja.

Henry had been tried and is already serving jail terms in South Africa for the attack in which about 12 persons were said to have died.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/im-now-ready-for-trial-charles-okah-tells-court/
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 3:32pm On Feb 19, 2015
Charles Okah, I felt for you so much and your brother serving jail terms in SA. I pray that God himself should reveal the masterminded of the evil act. Henry Okah said it that the out-going Presido " GEJ " his behind the bombing just to paint the Northern Leader Black so that the whole World will say the northerner are against his government.

Some Security expert advised GEJ to use all his power to fish and dig out everyone involving this bombing as it just a test to the whole nation but GEJ failed to do so and since then my beloved country has been experiencing what countries like Sudan, Iraq, Pakistan and other boiling environment has been facing.

I hope the trial will go smooth and fair.

God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by bakila: 3:34pm On Feb 19, 2015
Let it begin quickly.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by bakila: 3:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
[quote author=madridguy post=30883074]ok[/quotes
I think you were deported from Madrid for booking space the day Barcelona defeated them six- zero.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19, 2015
[quote author=bakila post=30883167][/quote]

haaaaaaaaaa....lol.....you make me laugh in Ronaldo style. When Barca beat me 6-0 ?
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2015
[quote author=bakila post=30883167][/quote]
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by MizyB(f): 3:40pm On Feb 19, 2015
Hmm.. When its few days to election? Nice strategy

1 Like

Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by bakila: 3:40pm On Feb 19, 2015
madridguy:

haaaaaaaaaa....lol.....you make me laugh in Ronaldo style. When Barca beat me 6-0 ?
Talk true no be space you book. A truthful answer will make me reduce the goal tally.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by Kennywills7(m): 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
MizyB:
Hmm.. When its few days to election? Nice strategy
Lets wait for what he will say!
Something is fishy u knw
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 3:53pm On Feb 19, 2015
bakila:

Talk true no be space you book. A truthful answer will make me reduce the goal tally.

Well, I don build house for the acquired land/space. Caveat emptor

Hala Madrid
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by vicadex07(m): 4:13pm On Feb 19, 2015
PDP will soon be exposed...victory at last. I hope they don't get to him first and silence him like they did to General Azazi
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by surgecom(m): 4:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
Sorry o Henry.

Justice delayed may not be denied.

For your ofada rice and Crispy garri ijebu
Encourage your fellow nairalander. This is a project initiated and executed by God through me.
https://www.nairaland.com/2156181/get-ofada-garri-ijebu-packaged
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by bakila: 4:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
madridguy:

Well, I don build house for the acquired land/space. Caveat emptor

Hala Madrid
Hmmm you are looking for trouble oh. I hope this latin that you are speaking will not convert you to latino. I do not want to buy that space, i am looking at jurisdictional competence for adjudicating your trespass by two words into the the FTC space. Thereafter I will try to obtain a mandatory injunction to remove you post and replace it with mine. The other will be a perpetual injunction to restrain you from further space booking. After perusing the 21 letter commandment of 21 clauses, I believe it is not a good case and I congratulate you for your effort.
Meanwhile it was 5-0 against Madrid on the 29/9/2010. 29th was the date you joined nairaland.
Congrats and all the best.

1 Like

Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 4:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
bakila:

Hmmm you are looking for trouble oh. I hope this latin that you are speaking will not convert you to latino. I do not want to buy that space, i am looking at jurisdictional competence for adjudicating your trespass by two words into the the FTC space. Thereafter I will try to obtain a mandatory injunction to remove you post and replace it with mine. The other will be a perpetual injunction to restrain you from further space booking. After perusing the 21 letter commandment of 21 clauses, I believe it is not a good case and I congratulate you for your effort.
Meanwhile it was 5-0 against Madrid on the 29/9/2010. 29th was the date you joined nairaland.
Congrats and all the best.

Wow. you remind me of bad memory as a madridsta. Are you FCB fan ?
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by RockMaxi: 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2015
madridguy:
Charles Okah, I felt for you so much and your brother serving jail terms in SA. I pray that God himself should reveal the masterminded of the evil act. Henry Okah said it that the out-going Presido " GEJ " his behind the bombing just to paint the Northern Leader Black so that the whole World will say the northerner are against his government.

Some Security expert advised GEJ to use all his power to fish and dig out everyone involving this bombing as it just a test to the whole nation but GEJ failed to do so and since then my beloved country has been experiencing what countries like Sudan, Iraq, Pakistan and other boiling environment has been facing.

God Bless Nigeria.

Just this afternoon I had a heated argument about this same issue. I thank the Almighty God for saving my life that day.
Due to vehicular restrictions around that area I have to trek from Eagle Square to Gana Junction, I walked through the valley of the shadows of death unaware of what will happen 20 - 30mins after. It was a pathetic experience and a national disaster that was handled carelessly to gain political sympathy.

May the souls of those that were killed rest in perfect peace.

Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 4:37pm On Feb 19, 2015
RockMaxi:

Just this afternoon I had a heated argument about this same issue. I thank the Almighty God for saving my life that day.
Due to vehicular restrictions around that area I have to trek from Eagle Square to Gana Junction, I walked through the valley of the shadows of death unaware of what will happen 20 - 30mins after. It was a pathetic experience and a national disaster that was handled carelessly to gain political sympathy.

I am happy for you bro for being a living testimony. Tired of this environment where everything is politicize, sending millions of souls to early grave just for their own personal interest. I so much believe in law of karma and I pray God should reveal every devil masquerading as human disturbing our peace in this nation.

1 Like

Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by caselessogbuagu: 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
madridguy:

God Bless Nigeria.
GEJ has the blood of those 12 nigerians killed in 2010 and the over 20000 killed in the north-east on his hands. He shall pay for the crime committed against Nigerians.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
caselessogbuagu:
GEJ has the blood of those 12 nigerians killed in 2010 and the over 20000 killed in the north-east on his hands. He shall pay for the crime committed against Nigerians.

I never said so ooooooooo, before his e-bodyguards will hammer us. I believe the souls of the the innocent will ask him for his act.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by caselessogbuagu: 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2015
madridguy:

I never said so ooooooooo, before his e-bodyguards will hammer us. I believe the souls of the the innocent will ask him for his act.
dont be scared of his e-warriors , they hate to be told the truth. We cant be cowed by them.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by bakila: 5:10pm On Feb 19, 2015
RockMaxi:

Ameen, you also may have been angry while trekking. Sometimes miracles happen right before our eyes without us being grateful for it. Meanwhile congrats for adding four more years. I hope you increased your act of kindness after that day.

1 Like

Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by bakila: 5:20pm On Feb 19, 2015
madridguy:

Wow. you remind me of bad memory as a madridsta. Are you FCB fan ?
e

Nope trying to throw something at you for space booking and talking to me as if you are a Lawyer in addition.
Re: I’m Now Ready For Trial, Charles Okah Tells Court by madridguy(m): 5:22pm On Feb 19, 2015
bakila:
e

Nope trying to throw something at you for space booking and talking to me as if you are a Lawyer in addition.

Ok sir.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Releases 158 People Abducted In Yobe ( Photo) / POLITICS / 10 Reasons Why I Will Not Vote 4 GEJ #PersonalOpinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.