Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,898 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? (5023 Views)

If You Owned "nairaland.com" What Will You Do Differently? / What Happened To Nairalist? / I'm Testing Younaija.com: What Do You Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 6:59am On Jan 07, 2009
Hello,

I'd like you guys and gals to check out my new website: http://www.nairalist.com/

It hasn't yet been tested extensively, so feel free to give it a good smacking.

Suggestions and critiques are welcome.

Seun Osewa.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by OmniPotens(m): 7:04am On Jan 07, 2009
@admin

Don't tell me you are already through with this oooo shocked

So there'll be no one to see online all night long working on something?

In fact, I get something to tell you that will keep you some days longer lol grin
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 7:31am On Jan 07, 2009
Thanks, Omni. Fortunately, this is just the beginning. There's still so much work to be done.

My hope is that with this we would be able to use Nairaland more as a discussion forum and not an advert board.

Note: The first ad posted was an auto ad, but it was posted in the "personals" section. Subsequently, I decided to rework the schema a bit:
- The personals section is now known as "dating".
- The products section has been merged with the Services section and they are both known as "Ads" - i.e. for miscellaneous ads.
- And a separate section has been added again for Autos, since it's such a popular category.

Unfortunately, someone who was composing an ad in the product section was unable to post it because of the change, because the products section no longer exists. I'm very very sorry about that.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by OmniPotens(m): 7:33am On Jan 07, 2009
Nice job there but the states are not complete though I understand it is just a *beta version.

Notes
:::  You are using inline styles, why not consider an external .CSS file for them
:::  The font size for the text area is small. I'm on a screen resolution of 1024 X 768, what about users with say higher resolutions? It might be so tiny for them. Consider an increment for accessibility purposes.
:::   I think the text area should house a WYSIWYG editor so enhance text formatting or BBcode just like that used for making posts in forums.
::: One more thing, I think poster should be able to edit their posts in case of typographical errors or change in decision of their posts.

**:::  I hope the website admin can edit or delete even modify posts. So can delete some of these test posts  wink

Nice job there. These are much for now. Need to go to bed for at least 2 hours then rush to the office. Talk later.

Yes ooooo. The adverts in here are getting much and nutty as people post what you can and cannot imagine in here.

Cheers!
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by OmniPotens(m): 7:36am On Jan 07, 2009
And that person was OmniPotens shocked

Don't mind him grin

I almost complained but was patient enough to wait and observe things. I saw the change and reasoned along that miscellaneous ads should be featured as other ads else, we'll be having a lot of sections.

1 Like

Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 9:19am On Jan 07, 2009
Thanks for your kind suggestions. I'm going to give the site another 24 hours before I start making changes.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by nuckecy(m): 11:09am On Jan 07, 2009
@Seun

Nice work!! Its gonna be a great site though. It looks more like ad Admin view of all entries.

My suggestion is;

1. Make the site a 2 or 3 column CSS based.
2. Make the states and all the different catergory a dropdown list, its gonna be very weird having all 36 states displayed on the page.

I'll keep tab to see how its growing. Its a nice work.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by NSNA: 11:12am On Jan 07, 2009
Seun that is a great site. it sure will be a success. I will like you to incorporate something to the site. i will mail you about it.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by showbobo(m): 12:16pm On Jan 07, 2009
Its a nice innovation bro. . . . . Keep up the good work smiley
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by auwal87(m): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2009
nuckecy:

@Seun

Nice work!! Its going to be a great site though. It looks more like ad Admin view of all entries.

My suggestion is;

1. Make the site a 2 or 3 column CSS based.
2. Make the states and all the different catergory a dropdown list, its going to be very weird having all 36 states displayed on the page.

I'll keep tab to see how its growing. Its a nice work.

I wanted to say the samething, it will be great if he wll make the site CSS based and create a dropdown list of the states and categories instead of the long list. Instead, he should create sections to display
Top 5 or 10 or 20 Latest Entries
Top 5 or 10 or 20 Advertisers

He should also create columns for adverts like adsense, and column for logging in to the website, and registering.

Good Job!
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by dreeldee: 4:30pm On Jan 07, 2009
Seun I'm impressed, keep it up wink at least Nigerians can now have their own classified site.
You can add popular cities under the states you already have (covering the 4 regions of such state), let me give you an inaccurate example tongue

Lagos-user clicks->VI, Ikoyi,Egbeda,Agege,Badagry,from Ebute Mette etc then the user can post in the closest city. Also users should be able to include their actual location in the final post and it should appear publicly in their post. Another thing, users should be able to register separately except u want to limit it to nairalanders only, also they should be able to edit and DELETE their post

I don't have a very good idea to give you, but just in case you never heard about craiglist.com, take a look at it, it's one of the most popular if not the most here so you might be able to pick one or two things there.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by twinstaiye(m): 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2009
Nice one there Seun. I love it instantly. It is user friendly and fast.  Any chance of a search engine to help in searching for an advert posted in the wrong category?
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Elgaxton(m): 5:19pm On Jan 07, 2009
Good site, I like the speed and ease of use.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by uspry1(f): 7:32pm On Jan 07, 2009
twinstaiye:

Nice one there Seun. I love it instantly. It is user friendly and fast.  Any chance of a search engine to help in searching for an advert posted in the wrong category?

I seconded! grin
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 07, 2009
Yo - that is a nice one @admin - i have alot of interesting suggestions for it though - like being able to pull RSS from it - now that will not be a bad idea - and i also think i have some scripts in my archives you might be interested in featuring there as part of the makeup - however i do not wish to post those details in here **** maybe later ***** let's see how things progress
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by lacrimose(f): 7:53pm On Jan 07, 2009
good job, just like craigslist

I think all u need is quick marketing so people know about the website and post ads there.

But you have to be careful about scams or things like that.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Magz(m): 8:30pm On Jan 07, 2009
Will anyone be able to post an ad from anywhere else on Planet Earth, or will it be restricted to within Nigeria?
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by cvibe: 8:57pm On Jan 07, 2009
I suggest you have a section for general or others category as what you have now (job, autos, etc) is limited.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by SeanT21(f): 9:12pm On Jan 07, 2009
I dont get it.

Do You wanna have 2 sites?
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2009
I don't get it. Do You want to have 2 sites?
Are you against it? Some webmasters have dozens of sites, so it's not that strange.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by SeanT21(f): 11:54pm On Jan 07, 2009
Seun:

Are you against it? Some webmasters have dozens of sites, so it's not that strange.

NOPE!!Just asking!!

Do Ya thing!!
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by showbobo(m): 12:20am On Jan 08, 2009
SeanT21:

NOPE!!Just asking!!

Do Ya thing!!
Better undecided lipsrsealed
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Skidoc(m): 12:27am On Jan 08, 2009
Good one there! Although only for Nigerians in Nigeria. sad

dreeldee:

[b]but just in case you never heard about craiglist.com, [/b]take a look at it, it's one of the most popular if not the most here

Craigslist ---- Nairalist. Quite obvious, innit? smiley
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Recognise: 12:38am On Jan 08, 2009
deleted
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by hubreality(m): 5:37am On Jan 08, 2009
@Seun, I commend you for Nairalist concept. It will surely be a success. I love the simplicity of the site. I believe it will be in love with major search engines like Google, Yahoo! and MSN just like Nairaland. Please do include the very important "technology market" as one of the categories that will handle all IT related ads. Yes, it will also be good to have any advertiser identified with an id by registration.
The Lord is your strength.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Afam4eva(m): 6:49pm On Jan 08, 2009
Seun, why are all the states not there, no eastern state.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Afam4eva(m): 6:52pm On Jan 08, 2009
Anyways, The website is nice and simple, that's what a website should look like.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 2:32am On Jan 09, 2009
afam4eva:

Seun, why are all the states not there, no eastern state.
Some states are less popular than others, so I decided not to include them. What's your state?
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 2:39am On Jan 09, 2009
Hello Omnipotens, thanks for your comments!

You are using inline styles, why not consider an external .CSS file for them
I actually have the CSS in a separate file, but I chose to combine it with each page to reduce latency.
The pages are compressed so they are quite small. I can reduce the CSS size further if necessary.

The font size for the text area is small. I'm on a screen resolution of 1024 X 768, what about users with say higher resolutions? It might be so tiny for them. Consider an increment for accessibility purposes.
Really? Hmmm. What browser are you using?

I think the text area should house a WYSIWYG editor so enhance text formatting or BBcode just like that used for making posts in forums.
Good idea, but I'm not sure that the increased complication is necessary. We'll see, I guess.

One more thing, I think poster should be able to edit their posts in case of typographical errors or change in decision of their posts.
Good idea. Actually, not being able to change their posts should make people more careful. We'll see.

**::: I hope the website admin can edit or delete even modify posts. So can delete some of these test posts Wink
Now I can.

Yes ooooo. The adverts in here are getting much and nutty as people post what you can and cannot imagine in here.
It's a pity that the new website will not prevent people from posting ads here without additional measures.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by hubreality(m): 5:57am On Jan 09, 2009
Pretty good and simple. What do you think about any poster being identified with a userid? Somehow it builds confidence and sense of security. Just making an opinion sha.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by Ibime(m): 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2009
Nice job Seun. I thought someone needed to make a classifieds website for Nigeria. I hope you become the Sergey Brin of Naija.

Still, I think the site could be made easier to use by dividing everything into subcategories instead of lumping everything into one.

Anyway, check out gumtree.com, their service is really easy to use. If you could replicate that, then its all systems go.
Re: I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? by dani1luv: 1:23pm On Jan 09, 2009
@ Seun
Remember me

Keep up the good work wink

'n' nice site u got there. it very fast, n easy to use cheesy

i would see if i cld suggest a lil there wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn unlimited Free Browsing And Downloading With Psiphon Handler / Dreamhost Hacked, Mass Password-reset Issued / Is It Advisable To Use Local Hosting Site To Host

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.