Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,194 members, 7,864,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:56 AM

FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification (656 Views)

Degree As Minimum Teaching Qualification. - FG / Education Stakeholders Divided Over Minimum Teaching Qualification / FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by jiggalo(m): 7:04am On Feb 20, 2015
The Federal Government has concluded
arrangements to make university first degree the
minimum teaching qualification in Nigeria,
according to the Minister of Education, Ibrahim
Shekarau.
Shekarau said this while receiving visiting Finns
ambassador to Nigeria, Pirjo Suomela-
Chowdhury.
The envoy had told the minister that all teachers
in Finland had a minimum of Masters Degree
because “teaching is a highly competitive
profession due to huge interest by too many
qualified people.”
Shekarau said the Federal Government would
explore all measures to restore the respect,
dignity and status of teachers in the country,
adding that the target of the Federal Government
was “to make First Degree as minimum teaching
qualification.”
He said the minimum teaching qualification in
Nigerian schools, since 1980, had been the
National Certificate in Education.
The minister said that there were currently a
number of graduates teaching in primary schools
in the country.
Shekarau recalled that the country was able to
get over the practice in the past where primary
school leavers were engaged in teaching, saying
“the level was raised to Teacher Grade III in the
1960s and later on in the early 70s, it was
minimum of Grade II, this was later phased out
in early 80s to minimum of NCE.”
“Gradually we will get there. We hope that a day
will come when all our schools, including pre-
primary will be handled by university graduates,”
he added.
He said that apart from the general agenda of
government to improve access to quality
education, he said he was particularly concerned
as the education minister to improve the quality
of teachers.
“We must continuously increase the number of
teachers, improve the quality of teachers,
improve the condition of teacher training
institutions and continuously review the
curriculum of teacher education to make sure it
catches up with the challenges, address that
issues of teachers’ welfare and job security”, the
minister stated.
http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-make-degree-minimum-teaching-qualification/
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by channelz: 7:13am On Feb 20, 2015
I love this; I see the quality of this noble profession improving in no distant time...It has to, for it is high time!
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Elslim: 7:17am On Feb 20, 2015
As long as they make the salary attractive no Problem... teaching is d best Job ever!! Most of our parents rejected military and para-millitary Jobs in d 70s because they wanted to Teach. As I said... pay teachers Good salary and we will TURN UP!
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by channelz: 7:28am On Feb 20, 2015
Elslim:
As long as they make the salary attractive no Problem... teaching is d best Job ever!! Most of our parents rejected military and para-millitary Jobs in d 70s because they wanted to Teach. As I said... pay teachers Good salary and we will TURN UP!
True

1 Like

Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Niwdog(m): 7:46am On Feb 20, 2015
Welcome development, as long as there is increase in salaries of the teachers, i don't mind being a primary skul teacher with my phd
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by nerodenero: 9:30am On Feb 20, 2015
Elslim:

(1) (Reply)

Funny Nicknames Given To You By Your Friends Back In Secondary School / The Best Postgraduate School In Nigeria? / University Of Ibadan And Ibadan Poly Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.