Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash (21150 Views)

Reps Move To Bar Acting President, Governor From Second term / Obasanjo In Auto-Crash, Escapes Unhurt - Today.ng / Mark Wants Bayelsa Auto Crash Victims Immortalized (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Benosaks(m): 8:23am On Feb 21, 2015
Let no try it, useless ppl. Was the road good?
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by SkyBlue1: 8:29am On Feb 21, 2015
Silly move. The best manufactured car can become road worthy if it is not well maintained. Introduce a system of road worthiness tests and create penalty for those who don't maintain their vehicles (just like MOT), that is more long sighted and sensible than this myopic approach.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by OYAY(m): 8:35am On Feb 21, 2015
This people with their priority mis placement sha,the marcopolo buses that has been killing commuters in multitude does not need worthiness check? What of other aspect of road transportation that contribute to accident?
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by gulfer: 8:35am On Feb 21, 2015
Jokers angry angry angry
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by raymond284(m): 8:51am On Feb 21, 2015
Ogun kill them all
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by loomer: 8:52am On Feb 21, 2015
The problem is our Nigerian traffic laws that's all.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by unmask: 9:02am On Feb 21, 2015
owobokiri:
The way we shoot down good ideas sha. . Just read the posts above and you would think that the House of Reps are just blind but the opposite is the case. That thing is nothing but a flying coffin. This is a very very good idea. Hiace buses and their equivalents should be used to carry goods ONLY! THERE IS NO OTHER SERIOUS COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WHRE SMALL HIACE BUSES ARE USED FOR LONG DISTANCE JOURNEYS. It is only here. That bus is mainly used to carry goods. Not to pack humans like sardines from Lagos to Aba. That bus has been responsible for thousands of deaths on Nigerian roads. I lost one of my friends who flew into this country and tried going to the east from Lagos with that brand called "Hummer". They perished somewhre near Ore. It should be banned totally. It is small. It is speedy. And the small interior forces passengers into very uncomfortable positions leaving them with no room to negotiate an escape once there is an impact.. For inter city travels, we should either be using the 'luxurious' buses, or the one we call "civilians" or something like ANAMCOs "14-14". . They are a bit bigger, less speedy, more comfortable and more amenable to Nigerian roads.
lol what won't I see..... Laughing at the "less speed" part...... So u mean the speed of those buses is quantized? They jump from 0-140 without passing through the others?

Please if speed is one of the issues, then it is only logical that the problem won't lie with the bus, but with the driver

And while your reps are busy fooling themselves, tell them not to forget to check the car worthiness of the road
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 21, 2015
nawa 4 dese senators o, why dem no ban airplanes when d tin dey cause crashes back in d day? dey wana put okeyson motors, God is good motors, cross country motors out of business? m sure d senators r only joking
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by rhames(m): 9:09am On Feb 21, 2015
politricks:

http://www.naij.com/389279-house-of-reps-move-to-ban-hiace-buses-over-bayelsa-auto-crash.html

The lawmaker who proposed this is a derelict of the first order. What on earth did these bloody rogues do when thousands of Nigerians are dying on the roads everyday? The story only told us that the First Lady's friends died in an auto crash but did not mention the reckless abandon or speed in which the driver of the said vehicle was driving. This is just irrational from an irascible lawmaker and her colleagues. I hope the Federal Government can handle another strike by the NURTW in the event of the senate or house of reps passing the law and also be prepared to lose votes to the opposition when we go to the polls next month.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by ludamix(m): 9:09am On Feb 21, 2015
It's as if this lawmakers are mad. They just realised this when these happen. When innocent civilians dey die then no move stupid bill than time.
They think its the bus, not minding the excess alcohol intake by the driver

rip to the deceased sha
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Muzikluva(m): 9:10am On Feb 21, 2015
I'm sorry I think they should rather investigate the "bus worthiness of the road"_nonsense! I wonder why these people are paid not to think and act properly Misplaced priorities!!
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Kingsasian(m): 9:13am On Feb 21, 2015
Seriously my hatred for those guys in the house of assembly is increasing by the day. How can matured and elderly adults come up with such stupid decision called solutions? Ok, first and foremost, why are they coming up with this so called solution now and Why do they have to wait till the people (female politicians) who visited the first lady died b4 bringing up this? Why didn't they bring up this solution when other unknown passengers plying other routes in the country esp ore-benin roads have being dying in same brand of buses? is this brand of buses the major cause of accidents on our highways, what about other brands of buses, cars and trailers especially tankers for conveying petroleum products daily? What are they saying concerning the east-west roads that is bad, will they leave it that way in order for them to ban other brands of vehicles? Those old thieves must be seriously mad for coming up with such a decision.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by okpurukata(f): 9:16am On Feb 21, 2015
owobokiri:
The way we shoot down good ideas sha. . Just read the posts above and you would think that the House of Reps are just blind but the opposite is the case. That thing is nothing but a flying coffin. This is a very very good idea. Hiace buses and their equivalents should be used to carry goods ONLY! THERE IS NO OTHER SERIOUS COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WHRE SMALL HIACE BUSES ARE USED FOR LONG DISTANCE JOURNEYS. It is only here. That bus is mainly used to carry goods. Not to pack humans like sardines from Lagos to Aba. That bus has been responsible for thousands of deaths on Nigerian roads. I lost one of my friends who flew into this country and tried going to the east from Lagos with that brand called "Hummer". They perished somewhre near Ore. It should be banned totally. It is small. It is speedy. And the small interior forces passengers into very uncomfortable positions leaving them with no room to negotiate an escape once there is an impact.. For inter city travels, we should either be using the 'luxurious' buses, or the one we call "civilians" or something like ANAMCOs "14-14". . They are a bit bigger, less speedy, more comfortable and more amenable to Nigerian roads.

Best comment here

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by thaoriginator: 9:18am On Feb 21, 2015
Omo make dem fix our road well. Shay na only Hiace dey get accident? Fix all roads with potholes, expand others that's narrow instead of to dey BAN buses anyhow like some MODS dey BAN people unjustly for Nairaland
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Abbey2sam(m): 9:30am On Feb 21, 2015
clueless people, I guess they don't have anything else to discuss so that have to show us how clueless they are

we all know that Toyota is a good brand including their hiace
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 21, 2015
CityNG:

You're a perfect example of a functioning illiterate.
This is not a matter of literacy bro. I almost lost my twice December 4th, 2009 on my way home for the xmas break during my NYSC and Jan 8th 2011 while travelling to Lagos for a job interview.If I had enough money I wouldn't even think of travelling such long distance by road. What we have as roads are just "death traps". All the same, death will come when its time for it to come.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Jarexxx(m): 9:53am On Feb 21, 2015
Even if the buses are bad and not roadworthy,they won't do anything until it affects the first lady?Selfish governance since 1870
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Tonason: 9:59am On Feb 21, 2015
politricks:

http://www.naij.com/389279-house-of-reps-move-to-ban-hiace-buses-over-bayelsa-auto-crash.html
If that you people have sense enough , you should reason that at every section of the road, there should be a speed limit given the environment. The road safety corp should make sure that they mark all Nigerian roads and put speed limits on everyone of them. And every driver caught over speeding that limit whether govt officials should be sanctioned, in some case it can be a fine, jail, community work or the drivers license been withdrawn.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by ugoonuoha: 10:02am On Feb 21, 2015
owobokiri:

Lemme bore you a bit with my weird travelling style: i personnaly don't fly in Nigeria and this has nothing to do witgh money or "stinginess". I have a phobia for flying but my work demands I fly almost 18 to 20 hours in the air every few months, so I fly. It is easier with a foreign airline with their reasonable standards but once I land at Lagos or Abuja, I move around within the country with the land routes. Akward? Better to me than having a heart attack with every turbulent shake in your 45 minutes- Jesus save me- flight from Lagos to Owerri. . . My friend, Obioma wasn't stingy. He was simply forced into making dangerous choices by a failed system.
I seldom comment on this forum, but I really want to address this your point.
If I get a dollar every time I hear "land (road) transport is better than flights in Nigeria" from foreign based friends, I'll be rich!
Flights are way safer than going by road in Nigeria. Don't believe, just check the stats. FRSC records the number of fatalities on our roads daily. I've haven't done the computation but I can bet the probability of a fatal accident happening is higher going by road. Save the major airline mishaps that happen once every few years or so, Nigerian passenger flights are safer (esp. Arik). However, I understand aero phobia is more frightening than any apprehension over road accidents.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Spray(m): 10:44am On Feb 21, 2015
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by dangotecementplc(f): 10:47am On Feb 21, 2015
Buy Dangote cement at a cheap and affordable price of
#1000 per bag, and also buy Dangote rice at #6000 per bag,
call the Head of Sales Manager on 0092348034147532 or
+2348034147532 for more information/negotiations on
purchase and delivery....
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by chatterly: 10:48am On Feb 21, 2015
The problem with the hummer (hiace)bus and its chinese cousins(IVM etc) is the NIGERRIAN DRIVER.i concede that they have a tendency to burn out when involved in accidents but that conclusion is not scientific because most buses involved in accident's these days are hiace buses only they are the most widely used long distance buses.These same buses are used in the Middle east,Australia,South Africa and Japan without much issue but the way these buses are driven in Nigeria is a clear invitation to disaster.These same buses are widely as staff buses and school buses within our major cities, how many fatalities have we recorded?.My take is that the FRSC must find a way to regulate driving practice in Nigeria.
1.The 100 kph speed limit must be enforced especially for commercial vehicles
2.Driving against traffic must be heavily legislated against.
3.Overtaking on the slow lane or driving slowly on the fast lane should be banned.
These are all existing laws but nobody bothers to enforce
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by wordcat(m): 10:53am On Feb 21, 2015
East West road has been under construction for almost a decade and it's likely going to be under construction till Jonathan leaves office.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by 100Cents: 11:35am On Feb 21, 2015
This is unbecoming because.

1. Hiace is the most durable vehicle for commercial transportation on our roads.

2. It is impossible citing the calibre of people using hiace buses to engage in transportation busibes.. Eg. peace mass transit.

3. The account of that accident stated that a tyre fell off a Toyota sienna at high speed and crashed into the hiace buses sparking a fire. ( multiple events ) Will they ban Sienna too ?

4. They should also investigate how fast this PDP convoy was driving when this accident occurred..

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by lezz(m): 11:43am On Feb 21, 2015
politricks:

brainless politicians who should be building and maintaining roads are looking for excape route via the old blame game.

Their blood are in your hands!!!
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Youssouff10(m): 12:01pm On Feb 21, 2015
If we had an effective rail system many lives wud be saved.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by KnowAll(m): 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2015
Those vechilee need to be banned they are not fit for human habitation for 5 minutes let alone 5 to 10 hours. As someone said earlier they are moving coffin.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by chigoizie7(m): 12:32pm On Feb 21, 2015
Ok nah,na now those roads u people were elected to build begin kill una,una come de blame am on hiace buses, hmmmmm, shaking ma head vigorously. Ee never even begin kill una sef, next na MAMA peace ee go raost, senseless and selfish politicians.(Ee don kill her mama,killed her greedy friends aswell) na she go be next, @least by then,dem go know the importance of good roads.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by chigoizie7(m): 12:43pm On Feb 21, 2015
ugoonuoha:

I seldom comment on this forum, but I really want to address this your point.
If I get a dollar every time I hear "land (road) transport is better than flights in Nigeria" from foreign based friends, I'll be rich!
Flights are way safer than going by road in Nigeria. Don't believe, just check the stats. FRSC records the number of fatalities on our roads daily. I've haven't done the computation but I can bet the probability of a fatal accident happening is higher going by road. Save the major airline mishaps that happen once every few years or so, Nigerian passenger flights are safer (esp. Arik). However, I understand aero phobia is more frightening than any apprehension over road accidents.

Base-less. My dear, how did u draw ur sample size? I mean, how many land used vehicles as against the flight? It can't be compared, the same way u can't compare the rate of road accident in dis modern age to that of, let's say 1908, my point is ,there is no base for comparison here, he choose land to air, he has his reasons nd it suits him. so,let him do otherwise.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2015
That national house of fools made up of pdp and apc clowns should be scrapped because they add no value in whatever form since its creation.

That house is just a lousy comedy reactionery house and nothing more, all they do in that theater is to make lots of noise eachtime any issue that affects one of theirs pops up then summon whoever that is giving them nightmares and now go on 3 months recession only to resume and continue with their stupidity.

Im yet to read about any quality law these bunch of retar.ded clowns have made ever since they came on board- LEECHES!

These clowns should rather make laws that ensures that Nigerian state roads & highways are well marked along with strictly complied speed limit signs that will not be exceeded along with electronic monitor's to check offenders and issue  heavy fines for offenders as it is done in most civilized societies were human's are the one's occupying their legislative chambers, this is one effective way to drastically reduce the rate of vehicular accidents on Nigerian roads

Will banning of haice buses by those over paid retards eradicate accidents on Nigerian roads?

J5 Peugeot buses were once banned in Nigeria for transportation purposes, did that stop the rate of accidents on Nigerian roads?

This buses don't drive themselves so the regulations should be for the operators of these buses, banning of those buses is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard but im not surprised since the idea emanates from idiots occupying the hollow house of clowns.

These clowns travel out of Nigeria and they see all the measures put in places in those countries for the country to function properly yet they will never come back to Nigeria to replicate what its obtainable there- IDI.OTS

Im sure they are gonna summon the maker's of these buses to come and explain to them why their affiliate had to die in that auto crash and then go on recess after that episode as usual.

OVER PAID BRAINLESS TOUTS!
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by queen91(f): 2:41pm On Feb 21, 2015
This present administration is soo blood sucking. starting from their campaign 2011 till now, gush. God pass them.

#march4buhari

#iavdecided

#apc
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by emekaxy: 3:03pm On Feb 21, 2015
In my own opinion, banning this bus is not the problem, rather they should a speed limit for commercial vehicle and ensure each commercial bus is fitted with a speed limit switch that ensure commercial vehicle don't speed above it eg (90Km/hr) and it should be among the condition one must meet to use a vehicle for commercial purposes Police, VIO and road safety will also verify it at checking point.
That's my opinion

menesheh:

This is overly irrational and petty

The said house forgot so easily that the said brand of commuter bus is predominantly use in Nigeria in commuting its citizens to and fro therefore is more likely to be the model to involve in an eccident

The said law makers forgot so easily like my mentor living in London do say if he visit Nigeria "you don't speed with Belgium and obsolete autos" whenever he sees old vehicle speeding embarassed ; that 80% percent of those hiace buses are pretty much old, a law is needed to pull them off our road Instead of banning them

Prominency playing a role why a whole house will start now to investigate cum ban such a menace

I cry for my country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akeredolu Reacts To Reported Plot To Impeach Deputy, Agboola / 2023: Mohammed Sanusi Clarifies Reports About Endorsing Any Candidate / Withdraw Wike From Governorship Race, Elders Tell PDP, Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.