Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,573 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Html5 Or Php - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Html5 Or Php (1723 Views)

Which is more awesome to use for 'server-side programming', NodeJS or PHP? / creating your first Html5 hybrid app / Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 4:54pm On Feb 21, 2015
Im kinda Confused , i just started Learning Java but will like to another Wed developing program to back it up.
My question now is between HTML and PHP which will you advise someone to learn or put interest in.

Secondly i need some kind of helping hands in this section in teaching me JAVA. thanks
Re: Html5 Or Php by babatope88(m): 5:28pm On Feb 21, 2015
Bro! PHP and HTML are two different thing. Wikipedia may be of help
Re: Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 5:48pm On Feb 21, 2015
babatope88:
Bro!
Dont get u
Re: Html5 Or Php by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 21, 2015
learn both shikena

1 Like

Re: Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2015
Jregz:
learn both shikena
thanks but the problem is time..
my plan is to practice java durin day time then php or html at nighr
Re: Html5 Or Php by blueyedgeek(m): 8:58pm On Feb 21, 2015
Let me try to clear up some things for you.

HTML is a markup language (not a programming language) and it is the bedrock of any web application. It has a very simple syntax and is very easy to learn. All web pages on the internet at their core are simply HTML documents.

PHP on the other hand is a server side programming language used to (permit to say) add 'smarts' to your HTML documents.

Let me give you an example to further clarify:

Look at the source code of this page (if you don't know how to do this, all you have to do is right click anywhere on the page and select 'view page source' or 'view source' depending on the browser.)

At the very top you should see something like this:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

That ugly looking stuff is called the doctype declaration (the newer syntax is simply <!DOCTYPE html> ) , it is used to inform the browser that the html document follows the specified standards and that the resulting page should be rendered in something known as the standards mode.

Ignoring nairaland's messy looking html tags, a simple html document looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<title>A simple web page</title>
</head>

<body>

<h1>Welcome to my awesome web page</h1>
<p>Like what you see? Send me a <a href="mailto:mymail@example.com">mail</a></p>

</body>
</html>

As you can see, with html, you are just basically declaring stuff. Think back to using word processors, when you want to structure documents, you have a heading and some paragraphs. Sometimes you make text bold to show importance, other times you italicize text to create emphasis. The same thing can be done with html, only this time, you are not just working with text, you are building full blown web pages.

Now, with html, everything is all good and dandy, but after sometime you realise that your web pages are just static. You create them and they just stare right back at you doing nothing of importance. Think back to when God created Adam and he was just mud, to make Adam do stuff, he was given the breath of life. In order to give your html document life, you activate it with a server side language like PHP. There are other server side languages but PHP (which you want to learn) is a good choice and is beginner friendly.

A simple php script looks like this (I no too sabi PHP ooo):

<?php echo 'Hello World, this is a string in an awesome php script' ?>

To summarise, HTML alone is used to create static pages but in order to build dynamic sites like Nairaland, Facebook, Gmail, Youtube then you have to activate your web page with a server side language.

Finally, you absolutely have to learn HTML but in order to build dynamic web pages then you absolutely need a server side language.

Pata pata pata, learn both.

4 Likes

Re: Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 10:12pm On Feb 21, 2015
blueyedgeek:

HTML is a markup language (not a programming language) and it is the bedrock of any web application. It has a very simple syntax and is very easy to learn. All web pages on the internet at their core are simply HTML documents.

PHP on the other hand is a server side programming language used to (permit to say) add 'smarts' to your HTML documents.

Look at the source code of this page (if you don't know how to do this, all you have to do is right click anywhere on the page and select 'view page source' or 'view source' depending on the browser.)

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

That ugly looking stuff is called the doctype declaration (the newer syntax is simply <!DOCTYPE html> ) , it is used to inform the browser that the html document follows the specified standards and that the resulting page should be rendered in something known as the standards mode.

Ignoring nairaland's messy looking html tags, a simple html document looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
</head>

<body>

<p>Like what you see? Send me a <a href="mailto:mymail@example.com">mail</a></p>

</body>
</html>

As you can see, with html, you are just basically declaring stuff. Think back to using word processors, when you want to structure documents, you have a heading and some paragraphs. Sometimes you make text bold to show importance, other times you italicize text to create emphasis. The same thing can be done with html, only this time, you are not just working with text, you are building full blown web pages.

Now, with html, everything is all good and dandy, but after sometime you realise that your web pages are just static. You create them and they just stare right back at you doing nothing of importance. Think back to when God created Adam and he was just mud, to make Adam do stuff, he was given the breath of life. In order to give your html document life, you activate it with a server side language like PHP. There are other server side languages but PHP (which you want to learn) is a good choice and is beginner friendly.

To summarise, HTML alone is used to create static pages but in order to build dynamic sites like Nairaland, Facebook, Gmail, Youtube then you have to activate your web page with a server side language.

Finally, you absolutely have to learn HTML but in order to build dynamic web pages then you absolutely need a server side language.

Thanks a million times.
please which lang are you into
Re: Html5 Or Php by Nobody: 3:52am On Feb 22, 2015
<?php echo 'Hello World, this is a string in an awesome php script' ; ?>
missed a semicolon though
fingard02k:

thanks but the problem is time..
my plan is to practice java durin day time then php or html at nighr
most grease to your elbow!!

1 Like

Re: Html5 Or Php by blueyedgeek(m): 5:59am On Feb 22, 2015
fingard02k:

Thanks a million times.
please which lang are you into
Awa shi n learn. I wouldn't say I'm into any language per se as I try to learn as many as possible but as of now, I have gotten very comfortable with HTML, CSS, (not programming languages but very important) Sass(a css preprocessor and a superset of css) and JavaScript (programming language). I've decided to pick up Python as my backend language of choice because..... well, it's awesome. I'll also learn PHP as well because.... well, it's PHP, everyone is expected to know it. Daz all.

1 Like

Re: Html5 Or Php by blueyedgeek(m): 6:01am On Feb 22, 2015
Jregz:
yeah, just noticed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

Re: Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 7:54am On Feb 22, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Awa shi n learn. I wouldn't say I'm into any language per se as I try to learn as many as possible but as of now, I have gotten very comfortable with HTML, CSS, (not programming languages but very important) Sass(a css preprocessor and a superset of css) and JavaScript (programming language). I've decided to pick up Python as my backend language of choice because..... well, it's awesome. I'll also learn PHP as well because.... well, it's PHP, everyone is expected to know it. Daz all.

Thanks..
Re: Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 7:58am On Feb 22, 2015
Jregz:

Thanks.bro

buh what is the best program for learning php and where i can get tutorials for it
Re: Html5 Or Php by dharyour93(m): 11:43am On Feb 22, 2015
blueyedgeek:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
</head>

<body>

</body>
</html>

I don't need an herbalist to tell me U HAVE SENSE.

Your post has solved his problem so I do not need to make any post on his problem.

1 Like

Re: Html5 Or Php by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 22, 2015
blueyedgeek:
yeah, just noticed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
I guess you are a js guy...your signature ?
Re: Html5 Or Php by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 22, 2015
fingard02k:

Thanks.bro

buh what is the best program for learning php and where i can get tutorials for it

devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/
buy some good books and CODE
Re: Html5 Or Php by blueyedgeek(m): 8:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
Jregz:

I guess you are a js guy...your signature ?
We still dey learn oo but yes JavaScript is a language I like very much (first love and all).
Re: Html5 Or Php by Nobody: 11:55pm On Feb 22, 2015
Trollin'
Re: Html5 Or Php by Nobody: 4:18am On Feb 23, 2015
blueyedgeek:
We still dey learn oo but yes JavaScript is a language I like very much (first love and all).

Im just learning javascript though and i'm loving it too....Have a blast bro
Re: Html5 Or Php by fingard02k(m): 7:46am On Feb 23, 2015
Jregz:

devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/
buy some good books and CODE
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Which Is The Best Laptop Brand? / Imagine Cup!!!! Microsoft 2017 Challenge!!!! / I Just Launched A Website Like Nairaland For African Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.