Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,053 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? (2084 Views)

Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars / Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners / Effect Of Bad Shock Absorbers On Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 11:58am On Feb 22, 2015
I mostly use bathroom cleaner (Astonish brand-spray) and dish-washing liquid and it does a descent job. From your experience what works best for you?
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by xreal: 11:59am On Feb 22, 2015
Petrol.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 12:08pm On Feb 22, 2015
xreal:
Petrol.

I tend to shy away from petrol because of the odour that lingers afterwards...
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by MaZterZ(m): 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
Piyke:

I tend to shy away from petrol because of the odour that lingers afterwards...
Petrol first before any liquid wash.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by lonelydora: 12:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
MaZterZ:

Petrol first before any liquid wash.
Seconded.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:37pm On Feb 22, 2015
I go the preventive way, by using gloves, but somtimes they get soaked with oil, but I don't get chunks of grease under my nails. If I get grease under my nails I use petrol with a toothbrush, then any harsh soap I can find. And yes the smell of petrol can be annoying somtimes.

3 Likes

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by onyichick(f): 12:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
petrol works well.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by onyichick(f): 12:46pm On Feb 22, 2015
use petrol,I once learnt mechanic stuff wen I was waiting for service back in 2009 n its petrol we used to wash our hands.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 2:06pm On Feb 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
I go the preventive way, by using gloves, but somtimes they get soaked with oil, but I don't get chunks of grease under my nails. If I get grease under my nails I use petrol with a toothbrush, then any harsh soap I can find. And yes the smell of petrol can be annoying somtimes.

Like...Would start using a brush from now on! Should remove a lot more. I do have gloves but there are some fixes where wearing gloves just makes me loose some dexterity with my hands.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
I seldom get grease under my nails (which I keep short anyway). I ALWAYS work with gloves, latex gloves for light electrical work, or more heavy duty gloves for oil, grease or engine, transmission and suspension work.

I also apply barrier cream before starting work. I wash my hands with regular shower gel, if very dirty, then I sprinkle granulated sugar into my palm, add shower gel and work the resulting paste into my hands. It's mild, and as sugar dissolves, not too abrasive.

I would NOT advice the use of gasoline to wash your skin. It's a solvent, and removes the natural oils from your skin, resulting in extremely dry and sometimes cracked palms and fingers. Don't forget, gasoline contains CARCINOGENS, which as the term suggests, can increase the likelihood of contracting skin cancer later in life. Not recommended.

I remember our old mechanic back in the 1980's, he always washed his hands with gasoline, and his hands were pretty rough and dry, I remember thinking back then that shaking hands with him felt like stroking the back of a lizard. He's dead now, he died in 1990 of some illness, I'm not saying it was cancer, because I honestly don't know. But it's something to be aware of. Even as a child, I knew prolonged skin contact with gasoline was a bad idea, consciously working it into your hands is madness.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by doroboss(m): 8:37pm On Feb 22, 2015
Breathing air in china can also cause cancer angry siena nah petrol sure pass, you wash with petrol and rub vasiline, the moisture shall come back. grin all this sugar you are sharing............... undecided

2 Likes

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 22, 2015
doroboss:
Breathing air in china can also cause cancer angry siena nah petrol sure pass, you wash with petrol and rub vasiline, the moisture shall come back. grin all this sugar you are sharing............... undecided

Is there any reason you don't bathe with gasoline? After all, mechanics do get grease and oil on other parts of their bodies, when they're lying under cars and vans. Then simply rub Vaseline into their badly abused bodies, to restore moisture.

1 Like

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by sultaan(m): 9:56pm On Feb 22, 2015
Use gloves and if you have the money buy one of those mechanix gloves it will help reduce those scars from busting your knuckles too
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by doroboss(m): 10:02pm On Feb 22, 2015
Siena:

Is there any reason you don't bathe with gasoline? After all, mechanics do get grease and oil on other parts of their bodies, when they're lying under cars and vans. Then simply rub Vaseline into their badly abused bodies, to restore moisture.

Oil drops, oil stains are differnt from using ur palms to work with oil, my palms are factory hard (from baba God) and a simple wash with soap does not work, meanwhile a drop of oil on my face or feet or arms can simply be washed with soap. Petrol works and you can call me mad but I will continue using it on my palms. Meanwhile I can't have a bath with it cause a liter of petrol is 87naira and it will burn my prick grin

2 Likes

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 22, 2015
doroboss:
Oil drops, oil stains are differnt from using ur palms to work with oil, my palms are factory hard (from baba God) and a simple wash with soap does not work, meanwhile a drop of oil on my face or feet or arms can simply be washed with soap. Petrol works and you can call me mad but I will continue using it on my palms. Meanwhile I can't have a bath with it cause a liter of petrol is 87naira and it will burn my prick grin

No worries. Disregard my advice, and all the best of luck using gasoline to wash your hands, and working it into your pores.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by doroboss(m): 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2015
Siena:

No worries. Disregard my advice, and all the best of luck using gasoline to wash your hands, and working it into your pores.

Singing ......N-now th-that that don't kill me
Can only make me stronger cool

KANYE WEST

Doroboss

1 Like

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 10:53am On Feb 23, 2015
Siena:
I seldom get grease under my nails (which I keep short anyway). I ALWAYS work with gloves, latex gloves for light electrical work, or more heavy duty gloves for oil, grease or engine, transmission and suspension work.

I also apply barrier cream before starting work. I wash my hands with regular shower gel, if very dirty, then I sprinkle granulated sugar into my palm, add shower gel and work the resulting paste into my hands. It's mild, and as sugar dissolves, not too abrasive.

I would NOT advice the use of gasoline to wash your skin. It's a solvent, and removes the natural oils from your skin, resulting in extremely dry and sometimes cracked palms and fingers. Don't forget, gasoline contains CARCINOGENS, which as the term suggests, can increase the likelihood of contracting skin cancer later in life. Not recommended.

I remember our old mechanic back in the 1980's, he always washed his hands with gasoline, and his hands were pretty rough and dry, I remember thinking back then that shaking hands with him felt like stroking the back of a lizard. He's dead now, he died in 1990 of some illness, I'm not saying it was cancer, because I honestly don't know. But it's something to be aware of. Even as a child, I knew prolonged skin contact with gasoline was a bad idea, consciously working it into your hands is madness.

Thanks a lot Siena. I would have to start using gloves always. The latex gloves you mentioned for light work is it the type used in hospitals for examining patients or something more like kitchen rubber gloves (for doing dishes)? Its the kitchen gloves that I've had.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 23, 2015
Piyke:
Thanks a lot Siena. I would have to start using gloves always. The latex gloves you mentioned for light work is it the type used in hospitals for examining patients or something more like kitchen rubber gloves (for doing dishes)? Its the kitchen gloves that I've had.

The Latex gloves I mentioned are indeed the sort used in hospital. There are also latex-free ones, like Nitrile, which are tougher than Latex versions, and primarily designed for those with an intolerance to Latex.

Kitchen rubber gloves are also good, I use them occasionally when I run out of Nitrile or Latex work gloves.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 6:48pm On Jul 26, 2015
Siena:

The Latex gloves I mentioned are indeed the sort used in hospital. There are also latex-free ones, like Nitrile, which are tougher than Latex versions, and primarily designed for those with an intolerance to Latex.

Kitchen rubber gloves are also good, I use them occasionally when I run out of Nitrile or Latex work gloves.

Finally got me some Nitrile gloves and they are indeed stronger than latex ones. I even get to wash and reuse if it doesn't get torn. Thanks again.

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by peterjero(m): 7:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
Mr piyke you are always dishing out good topics thanks man, daddy Siena very professional and diplomatic as always.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Raymie(m): 9:59pm On Jul 26, 2015
At the risk of derailing, (forgive me Piyke) I want to ask, what chemicals do we need to detail those black plastic areas in car interiors to their original blackness? Mine is graying like harmattan hit it.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Nobody: 12:19am On Jul 27, 2015
Raymie:
At the risk of derailing, (forgive me Piyke) I want to ask, what chemicals do we need to detail those black plastic areas in car interiors to their original blackness? Mine is graying like harmattan hit it.

Back-to-black. It comes in an aerosol can.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
Raymie:

Siena:

Back-to-black. It comes in an aerosol can.

Thanks Siena for coming to the rescue. Haven't really had experience with restoring blackness of interior fittings (My car interior isn't black). Recently got a Shield product for vinyl. Its my first and I'll start by testing it out on a portion before going full scale. I guess it should work for black vinyl as well.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:49pm On Jul 30, 2015
Piyke:

Finally got me some Nitrile gloves and they are indeed stronger than latex ones. I even get to wash and reuse if it doesn't get torn. Thanks again.

Am about to do major reconstructive surgery on my vehicle, did you get those in Nigeria or from the U.S? If Nigeria what source? The kind that causes one to get down and dirty. smiley
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 12:51am On Jul 31, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Am about to do major reconstructive surgery on my vehicle, did you get those in Nigeria or from the U.S? If Nigeria what source? The kind that causes one to get down and dirty. smiley

Got from the UK. What major surgery...ears tingling...
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 31, 2015
I have tons Nitrile gloves in stock, in blue and black, sizes S, M, L and XL.

I buy them whoesale, as I work on multiple vehicles daily, and I would not handle oily / greasy components without them.

1 Like

Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:04am On Aug 01, 2015
Siena:
I have tons Nitrile gloves in stock, in blue and black, sizes S, M, L and XL.

I buy them whoesale, as I work on multiple vehicles daily, and I would not handle oily / greasy components without them.

I will get in touch. Or can you shoot me an email, so we can take it from there!
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:15am On Aug 01, 2015
Piyke:

Got from the UK. What major surgery...ears tingling...

I am beginning with replacing my transmission and modifying the ATF cooling system to include aftermarket transmission temperature gauges, dedicated ATF external cooler running in line with in-radiator cooler and factory installed auxiliary cooler, dedicated temperature controlled fans for the external ATF oil cooler to regulate ATF temperatue between 188 and 195 degrees, as well as a thermostatic kit with a thermal bypass to cater to concerns over overcooling while providing adequate cooling for extreme circumstances, near total cooling system overhaul to coincide with new transmission installation, i.e., new single cell radiator and new factory OEM auxiliary cooler as well as a hydraulic filter with a bypass valve for the ATF.

The job is too delicate for me not to be personally involved.

Going forward, if I have an engine failure in the future I will replace it myself. Same goes for transmissions replacements going forward.

I have bought all the equipment to hoist the vehicle off the ground so I can do serious DIY.

So that is what I have planned on the cards

I got the manual ones for now, but before long, I intend to go automated, by getting automated hydraulic lifts.
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Piyke: 10:05am On Aug 01, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

I am beginning with replacing my transmission and modifying the ATF cooling system to include aftermarket transmission temperature gauges, dedicated ATF external cooler running in line with in-radiator cooler and factory installed auxiliary cooler, dedicated temperature controlled fans for the external ATF oil cooler to regulate ATF temperatue between 188 and 195 degrees, as well as a thermostatic kit with a thermal bypass to cater to concerns over overcooling while providing adequate cooling for extreme circumstances, near total cooling system overhaul to coincide with new transmission installation, i.e., new single cell radiator and new factory OEM auxiliary cooler as well as a hydraulic filter with a bypass valve for the ATF.

The job is too delicate for me not to be personally involved.

Going forward, if I have an engine failure in the future I will replace it myself. Same goes for transmissions replacements going forward.

I have bought all the equipment to hoist the vehicle off the ground so I can do serious DIY.

So that is what I have planned on the cards

I got the manual ones for now, but before long, I intend to go automated, by getting automated hydraulic lifts.

That's quite some work indeed. All the best
Re: What's Best Remover Of BLACK STAINS Under NAILS After Working On Cars? by Lagusta(m): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2015
Siena:

That man likely died of lead poisoning.....

And if they are still selling leaded fuel in Nigeria, then I seriously pity our kazeems that pit petrol in their no ths to clean carburettors, not to talk of using petrol to wash hands....

@op, as a doctor I'll suggest u try any liquid containing chlorhexidine eg purit, savlon, etc as these are cationic detergents, and kill germs too....

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Altima 2003 Or Maxima 2002 / The Top 10 Cheapest Cars In The World (With Photos) / Engine Shut Down When In Motion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.