Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars (10117 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Its Now Illegal To Use Your Phone Inside A Car In France,Even When You Pull Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by ogawisdom(m): 5:26pm On Apr 13, 2017
Who knows shld answer esp in the Nigerian context. Will road safety or others stop you n charge u for this

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by bravolad(m): 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
ogawisdom:
Who knows shld answer esp in the Nigerian context. Will road safety or others stop you n charge u for this

In societies, where rules are obeyed & infractions are punished, it's an offence to fit a non-recommended headlamp bulbs let alone additional lights. It is equally an offence to engage in any of the above in Nigeria however, enforcement is a major problem with our system. There's a recommended beam level accepted in Nigeria and VIO could have your car impounded for this. For instance, your vehicle may not pass the recent yearly vehicle inspection with additional light fitment. This practice increases the risk of accidents & poses greater danger to other motorists.

On the contrary, I haven't seen anyone arrested because of such infractions. A typical reference is the luxurious bus drivers who ply our highways at night with very high beams that affect other road users.

22 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by nurey(m): 6:47pm On Apr 13, 2017
If it's the one in my pix, them go chase you like midtown madness. But the one you posted I don't know if the impound especially if it is only just two lamps not the multi lamp like luxurious buses use.

Also notice it is fitted in almost all Peugeot J5 used in naija and other interstate cabster and dyna alike, so I guess they don't bother, even if done well you can say it was factory fitted on the truck.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by divinelove(m): 2:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
Very few trailers, tipper and 911 are without extra lights and they can put up to 8 or 10 both up n down the front of the trailer. In most cases their headlamps are completely dead n they depend only on these lights.

I guess no one will arrest u for putting extra lights

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by sultaan(m): 4:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
Normally illegal to use such lights on the road they are for offroad uses only

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 14, 2017
ogawisdom:

These lights are for off-road and desert driving. People with good road manners don't turn them on while driving in the cities, except on a lonely road, off road or in the desert where normal headlamps are not enough. But in Nigeria majority don't have driving manners, this is Nigeria where people will turn on high beams on a small busy road at night blinding upcoming vehicles.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 14, 2017
bravolad:

[b]In societies, where rules are obeyed & infractions are punished, it's an offence to fit a non-recommended headlamp bulbs let alone additional lights. [/b]It is equally an offence to engage in any of the above in Nigeria however, enforcement is a major problem with our system. There's a recommended beam level accepted in Nigeria and VIO could have your car impounded for this. For instance, your vehicle may not pass the recent yearly vehicle inspection with additional light fitment. This practice increases the risk of accidents & poses greater danger to other motorists.

On the contrary, I haven't seen anyone arrested because of such infractions. A typical reference is the luxurious bus drivers who ply our highways at night with very high beams that affect other road users.

Hopefully, the bolded doesn't include the USA. Because here we can fit lights but operation is the key point. Also they don't inspect for lights in all of USA - some principalities might. California inspects for smog pollution but if registering salvaged vehicles then they do include lights and brakes. However, they just want to know that there are front/rear lights as well as trafficating and stop lights.

I'll be outfitting my 4Runner with extra driving as well as off-road lights next month.

Having lights is not the issue, its the usage of such lights that's the issue.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by alezzy13: 12:16am On Apr 15, 2017
I've seen road safety fine a station wagon for having such lights. Mind you this was in broad daylight and they were not on. I guess its illegal. But the truth is those lights are hazard on the road

Aside that Nigerian drivers generally have VERY POOR attitude when it comes to using thier high beams. I wont be surprised if it also contributes to accidents. very few, if any are aware that you SHOULDN'T use high beam when esp on a two way road.
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 15, 2017
alezzy13:
I've seen road safety fine a station wagon for having such lights. Mind you this was in broad daylight and they were not on. I guess its illegal. But the truth is those lights are hazard on the road

Aside that Nigerian drivers generally have VERY POOR attitude when it comes to using thier high beams. I wont be surprised if it also contributes to accidents. very few, if any are aware that you SHOULDN'T use high beam when esp on a two way road.

On the other hand, I also wonder how many accidents would have been avoided had the driver been able to see road obstructions.

You can and should use your high beam on any road, single or dual carriage, except if it will blind oncoming or followed vehicles.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by lonelydora: 5:13am On Apr 15, 2017
When Nigeria was still saner, either FRSC and VIO will pull you over and remove all the extra lights there on the road and allow you to go after paying dome fines. But in the present day Nigeria, no one cares how lights you have on your vehicle.

Just look at all the heavy duty vehicles you see and count the number of extra lights they have.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by kulikuli45: 7:14am On Apr 15, 2017
They harassed me too
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by KingLennon(m): 7:15am On Apr 15, 2017
Extra lights ke? You wan turn your car to ambulance?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by naptu2: 7:21am On Apr 15, 2017
FRSC warns against extra headlights.

By Usman A. Bello, Lokoja | Publish Date: Nov 25 2014 4:00AM

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has directed drivers with extra headlights on their vehicles to immediately remove them or face prosecution.

Kogi State FRSC Sector Commander, Mr Godwin Omiko, who gave the directive yesterday in Lokoja, said the command will not take it lightly with any motorist who ignores the order.

He lamented that use of extra lights at night was largely responsible for accidents as they obstruct the vision of motorists approaching from the opposite direction. He also directed motorists plying roads in the state to start using reflective tapes, adding that the plates aid visibility of drivers at night.

Omiko said the ember months campaign which was recently flagged off by the commission was yielding results and that it would be sustained up till the middle of January next year.

The sector commander said accidents have reduced by about 15 per cent.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/frsc-warns-against-extra-headlights/62311.html
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Exponental(m): 8:35am On Apr 15, 2017
One can be arrested for it. I think the luxurious buses get permits for it. (not sure though)
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by vickuzzy(m): 9:33am On Apr 15, 2017
seriously these are the things FRSC are supposed to attend to And enforce a penalty for it especially those big trucks if you have ever been on the high way driving at night you'd know wah am saying
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by joinnow: 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2017
bravolad:

In societies, where rules are obeyed & infractions are punished, it's an offence to fit a non-recommended headlamp bulbs let alone additional lights. It is equally an offence to engage in any of the above in Nigeria however, enforcement is a major problem with our system. There's a recommended beam level accepted in Nigeria and VIO could have your car impounded for this. For instance, your vehicle may not pass the recent yearly vehicle inspection with additional light fitment. This practice increases the risk of accidents & poses greater danger to other motorists.

On the contrary, I haven't seen anyone arrested because of such infractions. A typical reference is the[b] luxurious bus [/b]drivers who ply our highways at night with very high beams that affect other road users.

Bros the luxurious bus
Don't compare them.the amount they pay to government yearly is enough to keep all Nigeria forces mouth quiet.
Imagine they make close to N450k daily for only one luxurious bus trip x100 buses daily 45mlm daily
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Arcconsultgloba(m): 7:14pm On Feb 27
Please can my vehicle be impounded for extra light with this lights?
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Arcconsultgloba(m): 7:27pm On Feb 27
Please can my vehicle be impounded with this light?

Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by MrHighSea: 7:39pm On Feb 27
my friend's driver's license is still with FRSC.
I had extra lights and he was the driver in broad day light.

I have replaced them sef to OEM fog light.

Happened about a month ago.

No more stopping for FRSC.
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by nurey(m): 5:20am On Feb 28
Arcconsultgloba:
Please can my vehicle be impounded with this light?

They won't impound except you don't have drivers license original yo drop. The fine for those two extra light is 3k
Re: Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars by Johnwrite(m): 8:03am On Feb 28
Really?

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. / Transmission Oil And Engine Oil / Update: issue with Autoelectng resolved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.