Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan (979 Views)

Boko-Haram: Jonathan Spent N2.2bn On Prayers / I Underestimated GEJ Cluelessness / No Link Between Buhari, Boko Haram – Jonathan Campaign Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by mrmetoo1: 1:55pm On Feb 22, 2015
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said he underestimated Boko Haram Islamists who have overrun swathes of the country’s northeast and defended an election postponement in an interview published Sunday.

Jonathan, facing a tight re-election bid against ex-military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, has faced criticism over the vote delay, which critics argue was designed to give him time to shore up his campaign.
The military pushed for the six-week delay eventually granted by the electoral commission to allow it to secure the country for the vote, though Boko Haram’s insurgency has raged for six years.
Presidential and parliamentary elections are now set for March 28.
“Probably at the beginning, we, and I mean myself and the team, we underrated the capacity of Boko Haram,” Jonathan said in an interview with influential newspaper ThisDay.
He said that the military has recently acquired more arms and ammunition to do battle with the Islamists, vowing that their suppression and the capture of the group’s leader were near.
“God willing, we will catch (Abubakar) Shekau before the elections,” he said.
Asked why six more weeks would make a difference in the years-long conflict that has killed more than 13,000 people, Jonathan said the military could make reasonable progress in that time.
“We are not saying we must finish Boko Haram to conduct elections, but we should get to a point where they will not cause havoc if they make an attempt,” he said in the interview.
“My belief is that by 28th of next month, when the elections will be conducted, Boko Haram may not even be in a position to attack any town, God willing.”
Nigeria‘s military authorities on Saturday claimed to have recaptured the fishing town of Baga from the Islamists, more than a month after it was overrun in what is feared to be the worst massacre of the six-year insurgency.
There was no independent corroboration of the claim, as thousands of Baga residents had fled the town after Boko Haram attacked on January 3 and hundreds, if not more, were killed in the following days.
Over one million people have been left homeless since 2009 as the rebels try to carve out an Islamic state in northeasternNigeria.
The Islamists have recently extended their violent campaign into nations neighbouring Nigeria‘s northeast as regional forces pursue them.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/i-underestimated-boko-haram-jonathan/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter#sthash.g5kXG5tP.dpuf
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by kodded(m): 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2015
GEJ 2019
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Akkord4gov: 2:01pm On Feb 22, 2015
K
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by kman1090(m): 2:02pm On Feb 22, 2015
this guy self
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by sammyj: 2:03pm On Feb 22, 2015
The clueless one said he understood BH implies he is their founding father and why has it taken him so long to combat them. Abeg tell us something new instead of playing politics with people's lives. As for me on no matter what GEJ does from today till tomorrow I have decided to vote for CHANGE come March 2015.

God bless Nigeria, God bless the peoples general !!!

SAI Buhari/PYO

4 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Princecalm(m): 2:03pm On Feb 22, 2015
So also the under estimate him to the extent of almost been involved in a bomb blast as the bomb was let off minutes later he passed the place from a campaign venue.
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Baawaa(m): 2:07pm On Feb 22, 2015
“Probably at the beginning, we, and I mean myself and the team, we underrated the capacity of Boko Haram,” Jonathan said in an interview with influential newspaper ThisDay.
Jonathan,I really regret that I voted for you in 2011 election,because you are nothing but a CLOWN!

4 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by otbliz(m): 2:10pm On Feb 22, 2015
That excuse is not acceptable.
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by PassingShot(m): 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2015
And when we say this man is not fit as a local government chairman, they think we exaggerate.

Anyway Jonathan, we Nigerians underestimated your cluelessness! If not, we wouldn't have voted you (minus me though) in 2011.

3 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Adminisher: 2:13pm On Feb 22, 2015
The under estimation of Boko Haram cost many lives. We shall also under estimate our support on election day. GMB is the new PRESIDENT.

3 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by buskie13(m): 2:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
not acceptable when u would've destroyed those islamists long ago.....but it's never too late.... we hope u crush em completely so we can all live in peace and prosper as a nation. ...

God bless you Mr President

GEJ till 2019
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by gwales: 2:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
u don't give a damn before because you believe it is northerners killing themselves, but now that u want their votes, so the u-turn and the change of attitude

2 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Nobody: 2:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
Y won't u underestimate them when you & Alimodu Sheriff are their brigade commanders - Werey!

1 Like

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by alaoeri: 2:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
A whole President who sworn to protect lives & properties spewing thrash in the name of excuses no qualms otuoke is your abode as from May 29.
GMB/PYO 2015 to the rescue.

1 Like

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by chelseabmw(m): 2:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
Hmmmmm

GEJ till 2019
Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by GeeOh(f): 2:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
hmmmmm! think right dis time no mercy vote for anyone,underestimated my foot

3 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by mrmetoo1: 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2015
These past years thousands of people have been murdered, kidnapped, displaced and our C-in-C is saying he underestimated Boko Haram. I honestly do not know anywhere else in the world that this guy would remain president after this kind of admission. I'm not even talking about losing election, he'll have either (dis)honorably retired or he would have been impeached. In my Nigeria however, he even has a chance of re-election

2 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by kokoA(m): 2:43pm On Feb 22, 2015
Whot!! shocked Hear what my president has to say about the loss of over 13,000 innocent citizens.. Smh.. Only in Nigeria will a president accept failure which led to the death of such a large number of people and still has the guts to seek reelection.

2 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Panshow(m): 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
I hope he will not under estimate the speed at which he'll be kicked out of Aso Rock.

4 Likes

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by suretman(m): 3:16pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sometimes I wonder if Jonathan is truly our President.

How can a whole president say this trash!

How can you say you underestimated a group that kidnapped more than 200 girls? Killed more than 10,000 citizens that you vowed to protect?

JESUS!

And some people are still supporting this man?

1 Like

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by richybanky(m): 3:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
U underestimated BH? Wat else can I say abt Mr President Am really short of words undecided

1 Like

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by ishiamu(m): 3:54pm On Feb 22, 2015
kodded:
GEJ 2019

Yea he did but now he's wiping them like wiper

Re: I Underestimated Boko Haram – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2015
Any responsible leader would have been alarmed from the time Boko haram exploded it's first bomb. Not wait until thousands are dead or displaced.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan'l Not Sack Jega But...... / How Edo Pastors Shared ‘N7 Billion PDP Bribe’ – APC / The Definition Of Buhari: Quotes That Define Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.