Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,746 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives (1661 Views)

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America / Please whats the price of Malaysia student Visa Application, and docs needed. / Quick Question About Uk Visa Appeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Dadahead: 4:37pm On Jan 08, 2009
Hi Everyone, I am new here. I'm a UK-born Nigerian and semi-estranged from my family.  My family only tend to contact me when they want something (be it stuff purchased for them in the UK and shipped to Nigeria, money etc).  I received a voicemail today saying I 'urgently' needed to contact a certain relative in Nigeria.  When I did not contact that relative within 5 minutes, I received another call again saying I must contact the relative on an urgent matter.  I feared someone had died or was in jail or something.

I called Nigeria.  It was one of my cousins who wants to travel to the UK for the first time for a holiday in a few months.  She says she needs a Letter of Invitation from a British citizen before she can be granted the visa.  She said I am the only person who can provide this letter.  I pointed out to her that I am not the only British citizen in the family.  In fact there are dozens of us who hold UK passports and my cousin has closer relatives than me (ie, she has her brother) who reside in the UK and hold UK passports.  Why me? - I asked.  She then said I am the only one who is organized enough and reliable enough to write the letter properly and send in all the required documents.  What required documents? - I asked.  She then casually says that I need to provide a copy of the data page of my passport, a utility bill, my tenancy agreement as well as the letter of invitation.  I would need to send all this info directly to her.  At this point I began to feel a little uneasy.  Some members of that branch of the family have been caught up in shady stuff like fraud, drug trafficking etc.  I said I didn't really feel comfortable and also said couldn't she get her brother to do it.  She said again her brother could not be relied upon to know how to use a photocopier or scanner or whatever in order to scan and email or fax these docs to her (strange considering her brother is an educated professional).  I then came up with an idea:  the brother can write the letter and provide his own documentation and I'll show him how to scan it and email it!  She didn't like this idea, again claiming that I am the only one who must do this.

So my questions are:  are all these docs really needed just for a Nigerian citizen to come to England for a short vacation?  Is it safe with all the identity fraud that goes in the world, to have such confidential docs floating around?  With these docs somebody could open fake accounts in my name left right and centre. 

Also, my family is very dysfunctional and as I said borderline-criminal.  They've frequently asked me to get involved in dodgy practices like marrying a man for money just so he can get his UK passport, couriering suitcases for them that they claim contain clothes and gifts, 'investing' £1000 into some business for them when they can't specify what the nature of the 'business' is etc etc.   There are also constant requests for me to take out bank loans in my name for them or put stuff on my credit card for them and they'll pay me back later.  They do try to take advantage of the fact I'm the only person in the entire family who can obtain a bank account or credit card (they've abused banking facilities so much that they can no longer get accounts in their own names)

How does this latest visa proposition sound to you?  Should I decline to help and thus upset and outrage the entire family?
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
If something feels wrong to you, don't do it.

From the little you've posted here about your family, sounds like they're trying to make you feel guilty, if you don't o what they ask of you, bla bla bla.

As for the documents, yes, that's pretty much what you'd need to send, but you can send it directly to the British High Commission - not to the invitee.
That way, it doesn't get seen by the person planning to travel.
You can send it via one of the major couriers - Fedex, UPS, DHL etc.

Bear in mind though, you'll be solely responsible for the activities of your guest, whilst they're in the UK.
And by all accounts, you could end up paying dearly - in more ways than one.
Don't do it if it doesn't feel right to you - regardless of your family's wrath.
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Dadahead: 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2009
Thank you for your reply Siena

so basically if I did provide these docs, were my relative to act a fool while in the UK, or refuse to leave, or run out of money or whatever - I would be liable?
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 08, 2009
Yes, you'd be entirely liable.
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Akolawole(m): 7:38pm On Jan 08, 2009
@Poster

Your sending the invitation letter and other stuff do not guarantee visa.

There's more to that than that.

I wouldnt advice you send it to BHC.

Tell the guy you will send it to them and watch his reaction.
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Dadahead: 7:45pm On Jan 08, 2009
Hi - watch whose reaction?
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Treetop20(m): 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
your cousin's reaction he means
i wouldn't do it if i were you
you already feel uneasy about it
so do not do it
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2009
^^^ My sentiment exactly.

Why raise your blood pressure?
The writing's on the wall, plain as day.
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Omonla(f): 6:14am On Jan 09, 2009
Dadahead:

Hi Everyone,  I am new here. I'm a UK-born Nigerian and semi-estranged from my family.  My family only tend to contact me when they want something (be it stuff purchased for them in the UK and shipped to Nigeria, money etc).  I received a voicemail today saying I 'urgently' needed to contact a certain relative in Nigeria.  When I did not contact that relative within 5 minutes, I received another call again saying I must contact the relative on an urgent matter.  I feared someone had died or was in jail or something.

I called Nigeria.  It was one of my cousins who wants to travel to the UK for the first time for a holiday in a few months.  She says she needs a Letter of Invitation from a British citizen before she can be granted the visa.  She said I am the only person who can provide this letter.  I pointed out to her that I am not the only British citizen in the family.  In fact there are dozens of us who hold UK passports and my cousin has closer relatives than me (ie, she has her brother) who reside in the UK and hold UK passports.  Why me? - I asked.  She then said I am the only one who is organized enough and reliable enough to write the letter properly and send in all the required documents.  What required documents? - I asked.  She then casually says that I need to provide a copy of the data page of my passport, a utility bill, my tenancy agreement as well as the letter of invitation.  I would need to send all this info directly to her.  At this point I began to feel a little uneasy.  Some members of that branch of the family have been caught up in shady stuff like fraud, drug trafficking etc.  I said I didn't really feel comfortable and also said couldn't she get her brother to do it.  She said again her brother could not be relied upon to know how to use a photocopier or scanner or whatever in order to scan and email or fax these docs to her (strange considering her brother is an educated professional).  I then came up with an idea:  the brother can write the letter and provide his own documentation and I'll show him how to scan it and email it!  She didn't like this idea, again claiming that I am the only one who must do this.

So my questions are:  are all these docs really needed just for a Nigerian citizen to come to England for a short vacation?  Is it safe with all the identity fraud that goes in the world, to have such confidential docs floating around?  With these docs somebody could open fake accounts in my name left right and centre. 

Also, my family is very dysfunctional and as I said borderline-criminal.  They've frequently asked me to get involved in dodgy practices like marrying a man for money just so he can get his UK passport, couriering suitcases for them that they claim contain clothes and gifts, 'investing' £1000 into some business for them when they can't specify what the nature of the 'business' is etc etc.   There are also constant requests for me to take out bank loans in my name for them or put stuff on my credit card for them and they'll pay me back later.  They do try to take advantage of the fact I'm the only person in the entire family who can obtain a bank account or credit card (they've abused banking facilities so much that they can no longer get accounts in their own names)

How does this latest visa proposition sound to you?  Should I decline to help and thus upset and outrage the entire family?

@Dadahead:

Ditto what Siena and Treetop20 said. Sounds like your instinct has already kicked in, and you pretty much know that you will be entering this 'situation' at your own risk. Look at it this way: If providing these papers for this fair-weather relative will jeopardize your credit/financial situation (e.g. fraud), your reputation, or your peace of mind (keeping an eye on a relative whose motive you do not know, for visiting the UK), then I see no reason why you need to debate on whether to provide them papers or not.

Sounds to me that you are not missing out on any 'family love' from them if they decide to stop 'talking' to you because you declined getting manipulated.
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by tpia: 3:47am On Jan 10, 2009
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by cvibe: 6:24am On Jan 10, 2009
@ poster

I'm pretty surprised you live in the UK yet you don't know where to go for help. Please visit the homeoffice site below. Tells you all you need to know about bringing/ sponsoring someone to the UK

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Dadahead: 7:31pm On Jan 10, 2009
@Cvibe
Why would living in the UK result in me knowing or needing to know anything about bringing/sponsoring foreign nationals to the UK?
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2009
tpia:

yes, others have said it all.
A word is enough for the wise.

Gosh! shocked

Does that mean we agree on something for a change? shocked

Happy New Year, Tpia. cheesy

Dadahead:

@Cvibe
Why would living in the UK result in me knowing or needing to know anything about bringing/sponsoring foreign nationals to the UK?

I did wonder too.

I get asked about visa requirements, and because I don't know, some have resorted to insulting me. undecided
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by tpia: 4:35pm On Jan 11, 2009
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2009
Yes, was that thread we both remember so well. wink

And no, have never had another username, other than the one I have now.
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Busybody2(f): 4:53pm On Jan 11, 2009
tpia:

Happy New Year to you too. grin

Only time we've ever disagreed that I recall, was that fateful thread that got us both riled up. If that's what you prefer to remember instead of all the other times which were cool as pie, then what can I say.

not too mention you're mostly in the auto section which I tend to browse but not post in. So where have we been fighting, unless I've been arguing with you while you had another moniker?

Ha i no fit shout   lipsrsealed

He's prolly one of those that tremble when they see your posts, but doesn't have the balls to say anything and instead takes it out on his computer grin grin grin

Sowwy dadmod  embarassed couldn't resist How's your thick hide, still holiding I guess
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by amebono14: 4:54pm On Jan 11, 2009
busiest body how far grin grin grin grin as usual try to cause trouble here,repent this is 2009

e mi ni ooo danke grin grin grin
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Busybody2(f): 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2009
amebo no.1:

busiest body how far grin grin grin grin as usual try to cause trouble here,repent this is 2009

e mi ni ooo danke grin grin grin

Before nko, you don't even need to say its you grin Who no go sabi you, Aunty Amebo I don see your handiwork for romance section, just priming and grooming myself before coming there.

I am tired of being responsible for people's thread being moved to the games section so hopefully once I master the art of conforming to the rules and staying on-topic, and learn properly to be on my best behaviour, I am gonna be walking you out of your thread, can't wait, lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Busybody2(f): 5:08pm On Jan 11, 2009
@ Post

In agreement with everyone else, i would like to chip in too and advise you to bone their side angry Can't you change your number or something wink
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 11, 2009
Busy_body:

He's prolly one of those that tremble when they see your posts, but doesn't have the balls to say anything and instead takes it out on his computer grin grin grin

Not at all, Big_bumper:

Besides, Tpia's pretty harmless. wink
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by tpia: 5:40pm On Jan 11, 2009
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by chyk91(m): 10:56pm On Jan 11, 2009
i agree with akolawole
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by insight04: 12:11am On Jan 12, 2009
Dont send the letter of invitation. It will come back to haunt you
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by Dadahead: 12:07pm On Jan 12, 2009
I have informed them I'm not doing it.

I also noticed that text messages I'd sent them to wish them Happy Christmas and before that, to ask how they were, went ignored. I asked this relative whether she got my text at Christmas and she said, "yes! But we didn't have your number so we couldn't text you back."

If you successfully receive a text from someone - how can you not have their number? How did she miraculously find my number a few weeks later when she wanted me to provide her with a Letter of Inivtation?
Re: Questions About Uk Visa Application And Shady Relatives by 3sha4lyf: 12:20pm On Jan 22, 2009
case is settled, thank God u wer saved from those VAMPIRES u call ur relatives in Nigeria. That is just to show u much about the wickedness of the world.

(1) (Reply)

New Mtn Code For Making Calls Free To All Network / Sweden Have Decided At Last: / PHOTOS: Horror Car Accident Claims 22 Lives On Koko-yauri Road, Kebbi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.