Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Windows 7 Beta: Now Available - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 7 Beta: Now Available (4155 Views)

How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / Download Bluestacks For Windows 7/8 & MAC PC (offline Installer) / How To Use Windows 7 Without Activation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by dani1luv: 4:14pm On Jan 20, 2009
uhn
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by ExInferis(m): 6:50pm On Jan 20, 2009
texazzpete:

@Inferis
and Snow leopard is just Leopard v2, isn't it?

thats a bit of a stretch, even. its more like leopard 1.1 actually. no new UI features, just performance tweaks and under-the-hood techy stuff.

while MS is focusing on crafting evil ways of eating precious resources, Apple is inventing tech to make systems more efficient through utilization of normally idle or locked up resources.

mind you, i do dig Win 7 (though i fail to see where the 7 comes from).
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by ayobase(m): 9:21am On Jan 21, 2009
how can I step down my
windows vista?
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by Nobody: 4:00am On Jan 22, 2009
kingsb:

GET FREE SOFTWARE TO WATCH TV LIVE ON UR LAPTOP OR DESKTOP 100% FREE
MAIL MEGABIZ11@FREEAUTOBOT.COM08038219297

what is wrong with dis mo.4ka
ayobase:

how can I step down my
windows vista?

a downgrade? no idea, jst backup and reinstall
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by Horlufemi(m): 9:25pm On Jan 28, 2009
Please can someone share the windows 7 image with me. I've been trying to download the image but my internet connection is too slow. According to my calculations it will take like 2 weeks to finish. And time is running out. The download will stop mid february. Can any one please help. I stay in festac area in Lagos. Can a good samaritan help me. My email is femisworld2@yahoo.com
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by Horlufemi(m): 7:27am On Jan 29, 2009
@texazzpete
Pls bros can you share your windows 7 with me cant seem to download it. Any help will be appreciated.
i stay around festac in Lagos. My email femisworld2@yahoo.com. 08052370848
Thanks
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 2:39pm On Jan 29, 2009
I am still yet to see what the hype is all about with windows 7 fine its an improvement over vista (which is not saying much because vista is arguably the biggest flop of the new millennium - 6 years development+ 10 billion dollars = can i have xp please) but get over the fancy new task manager and the polished aero interface what has really changed in windows. what does windows 7 do differently. thanks to vista lots of hardcore windows people sorted other alternatives ,  some went for the apple others took refuge with the penguin. what does windows 7 have to bring these people back. here are some of the fundamental issue i have with windows which needs to be addressed by windows 7 before i can consider giving it a thought

rigid
One thing i never liked about windows was the fact that it was just too rigid. everything thing seem to be hardwired to each other in such a way that if there is a problem  one application it could make the whole system unstable. e.g you are watching a dvd and (due to a bad disk) windows media player stop responding ,  this could make the whole system freeze ,  if you try to close WMP it would say not responding asking if you want to close it. if you say yes. it would not only close wmp it would also close windows explorer and everything from your task-bar to Internet explorer and your desktop icons would disappear. has this changed with windows 7.

Customization
how customizable can windows be ,  fine you can change the wallpaper and with vista you are allowed to change tint the aero glass. but that is as  far as it goes. thinking of changing the theme you would have to pay for windows blind (which add more weight to your already over stretched system resources) if not then you would have to hack or illegally patch the UX theme (which would mean you have to be scared of any MS update) has this changed with windows 7

Security
some people said windows is a target for virus because its the most used OS around. i say F that. windows is a target because it has some gapping holes which are easily exploited. why should i ever need an AntiVirus why would my OS always have really on another program to to be secured. i mean if i paid so much money for my OS it should be secured. one big problem with windows is that users always run as root. many windows user dont know the implication of this. the root user is the all powerful with powers to make wide range changes  the system  compromise the root user and the whole system is compromised. Vista tried to block this security hole with UAC but it was poorly implemented. now am hearing the windows 7 way is to allow users to reduce the effect of UAC which would mean less annoyance but more insecurity.

The power user
many people use Unix because they feel windows is for children. while i dont agree with them. but u have to agree with me that windows can sure make the user feel dump. there are things i do on nix ,  like mounting my home directory on a separate partition,  in fact i can mount any directory on any partition ,  and with ssh + nfs i can even build a HPC with distributed filesystem across over 100 computers. you have the bourne again shell and the core utils there is nothing that cant be done from a  shell interface ,  plus i can restart any service on my system without restarting the whole system. many of this things cant be done on windows. it just wasnt built to work that way. but it needs to start thinking about the power user  who needs greater control over their system. the powershell is a step in the right direction

DRM

even apple (considered to be the father of drm) is scaling down on this evil. i never thought i would see the day when itunes would start supporting no drmed music. but alas! ,  windows vista is sooo drmed that you cant play a VOB file from windows media player without using tools like VLC. am not sure if things as improved with windows 7 because Vista was the most DRM OS every invented by man.

i could go on and on but these are some of the concerns i have with windows. many windows users even the hardened one feel my pain too but are too locked down my one killer app or the other that only run on windows.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 4:23pm On Jan 31, 2009
duuuuuuuuuuuude, tex said it b4 and you took offence. I'ma say it again. Stop Hating!

Stick to 'em linux or OSX threads if that's what interests you. The title says "Windoes 7 Beta: Now Available", not "Windows 7 Beta: Better than any alternative".

Thanks.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 4:32pm On Jan 31, 2009
bigrovar:

Vista tried to block this security hole with UAC but it was poorly implemented. now am hearing the windows 7 way is to allow users to reduce the effect of UAC which would mean less annoyance but more insecurity.
Do some research before you spit. Allowing users to adjust UAC doesnt mean less security in anyway.

Think about it. I righ-click "My computer" and select "Manage". UAC prompts to ask me if i really want to do that. . . WTF, of course I want to do that! What the UAC adjustment does is basically tell the system to differentiate between User-generated actions and Software-generated ones. In that case, i dont get the anoying prompts anytime I'm trying to do something I actually want to do.

By the way, there has always been a way to turn off UAC in Vista in the first place. so. . . undecided
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 11:20pm On Jan 31, 2009
Do some research before you spit. Allowing users to adjust UAC doesnt mean less security in anyway.
dude it does , UAC is there to comfirm that some process where indeed initiated by the user. so that a milicious program cant make system changes under the hood. reducing it effect means reducing the amount of task it would seek confirmation for, you might not now know it but a virus could be written to "My computer" and select "Manage" and make some changes to your computer, like remove a driver, and because u have lowered your UAC the computer wont prompt you for confirmation the whole UAC is flawed approach to security the best policy is not to make a user have admin previledge by default.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 12:08am On Feb 01, 2009
bigrovar:

dude it does , UAC is there to comfirm that some process where indeed initiated by the user. so that a milicious program cant make system changes under the hood. reducing it effect means reducing the amount of task it would seek confirmation for, you might not now know it but a virus could be written to "My computer" and select "Manage" and make some changes to your computer, like remove a driver, and because u have lowered your UAC the computer wont prompt you for confirmation the whole UAC is flawed approach to security the best policy is not to make a user have admin previledge by default.

how you managed to miss the part where i said UAC is now smart to discern between software-initiated actions and user-initiated ones still amaze me. what u shld be worried abt is software trying to mask its actions and confuse the system enuf to think it was generated by the user. Yet to see someone that proves that right, afterall, windows 7 has been running on security experts' computers for a while now.

anywayz, scratch that. i for one, would disable UAC once i get 7 installed. just like i do when i use vista. so i dont get it when pple complain about it anyway. its like complaining about 'clippy' when you could simply turn the dude off!
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 10:02am On Feb 01, 2009
naijafan:

duuuuuuuuuuuude,  tex said it b4 and you took offence. I'ma say it again. Stop Hating!

Stick to 'em linux or OSX threads if that's what interests you. The title says "Windoes 7 Beta: Now Available", not "Windows 7 Beta: Better than any alternative".

Thanks.

sorry i missed this post ,  its sad when i see post like this (even against windows in Linux forums) tell me one comment in my statement that amount to hate. just one  ! ,  why people take a simple observation well articulated (at least i try to make it articulated) and see it as a personal insult,  it would have helped educate me more if you had address the issues i stated rather than summerize everything into HATE. i asked a simple question "what has really changed in windows 7 " look at the issues and address it ,  stop being emotional about this be proactive ,  what make you feel i hate windows? i have written more guides and given more windows support both in this forum and in my blog than u are all your Windows fan boys put together. not to talk of the support i give at home (being the local geek) same goes for Ex Inferis he is a confirmed mac user yet you see him helping out windows user here,  unlike you i am very proactive and seek healthy discussion on issues.  if there is anybody that hate its not me ,  its you who HATE to see any body write any form of criticism of windows.  yet i wont be surprised if 90% of the software you use on your beloved OS was stolen,  its the very common ,  most of you who take criticism of Microsoft to the same way you take a family insult are the least to put your money where your month is ,  if you love the software the buy it.  i try to keep my cool in spite of all the personal attack i get for speaking my mind but really many of you are a lost cause and a reflection of what is wrong in our society today where a person cant air his views without being hounded. 

how you managed to miss the part where i said UAC is now smart to discern between software-initiated actions and user-initiated ones still amaze me. what u shld be worried abt is software trying to mask its actions and confuse the system enuf to think it was generated by the user. Yet to see someone that proves that right, afterall, windows 7 has been running on security experts' computers for a while now.
well you also conveniently ignore my view that allowing user to have admin powers by default is the biggest security flaw with windows. UAC smart or dump is a bad approach to security. you have to look at it from a wholistic approach.  i spoke about the fact that no OS should ever have to rely on another program for security. it should just be secured from ground up period. Anti virus should be a luxury not a necessity. ,  if windows 7 is that secured. then try running it without an AV ,  i bet you wont dare ,  and you say i hate windows for saying this is wrong.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by uchenaira: 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2009
Workers needed nation wide. applicant must have OND, HND, upper credit. Bsc, second class upper includes NYSC cert, few years experiences. primary, secondary and birth certificates should be scanned and send to tag0081@yahoo.co.uk. all on original copies.

web site:www.exxonmobil.co

Email:tag0081@yahoo.co.uk.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 4:20pm On Feb 01, 2009
bigrovar:

sorry i missed this post , its sad when i see post like this (even against windows in Linux forums) tell me one comment in my statement that amount to hate. just one ! , why people take a simple observation well articulated (at least i try to make it articulated) and see it as a personal insult, it would have helped educate me more if you had address the issues i stated rather than summerize everything into HATE. i asked a simple question "what has really changed in windows 7 " look at the issues and address it , stop being emotional about this be proactive , what make you feel i hate windows? i have written more guides and given more windows support both in this forum and in my blog than u are all your Windows fan boys put together. not to talk of the support i give at home (being the local geek) same goes for Ex Inferis he is a confirmed mac user yet you see him helping out windows user here, unlike you i am very proactive and seek healthy discussion on issues. if there is anybody that hate its not me , its you who HATE to see any body write any form of criticism of windows. yet i wont be surprised if 90% of the software you use on your beloved OS was stolen, its the very common , most of you who take criticism of Microsoft to the same way you take a family insult are the least to put your money where your month is , if you love the software the buy it. i try to keep my cool in spite of all the personal attack i get for speaking my mind but really many of you are a lost cause and a reflection of what is wrong in our society today where a person cant air his views without being hounded.

now you accuse me of stealing. you can make general statements, but dont direct any at me cos you dont know me. i was only responding to you based on what you wrote in here and didnt make any unfair assumptions. All MS Software on my system is licensed, up to my Visual Studio. MS just mailed me the SP1 update to VS2008 on DVD two weeks ago.

i dont care if you've written more guides than myself or if you're an MVP or anythn. your last lenghty post was exactly wat made me ask you to stop hating. especially this part.
many people use Unix because they feel windows is for children. while i dont agree with them. but u have to agree with me that windows can sure make the user feel dump. there are things i do on nix , like mounting my home directory on a separate partition, in fact i can mount any directory on any partition , and with ssh + nfs i can even build a HPC with distributed filesystem across over 100 computers. you have the bourne again shell and the core utils there is nothing that cant be done from a shell interface , plus i can restart any service on my system without restarting the whole system. many of this things cant be done on windows. it just wasnt built to work that way.

bigrovar:

well you also conveniently ignore my view that allowing user to have admin powers by default is the biggest security flaw with windows. UAC smart or dump is a bad approach to security. you have to look at it from a wholistic approach. i spoke about the fact that no OS should ever have to rely on another program for security. it should just be secured from ground up period. Anti virus should be a luxury not a necessity. , if windows 7 is that secured. then try running it without an AV , i bet you wont dare , and you say i hate windows for saying this is wrong.
since my university days, i've always hated bloated software. Antiviruses, to me are very good examples of bloated apps - and I dont use them. Ask Texazzpete, he was at my place in Lagos once. I've written numerous tools for scanning and removing common viruses from systems. Started in schl when i got a copy of ravmon and deliberately infected my system with it, and monitored its actions using Process Monitor from Sysinternals. So i guess i won the bet. not like there was any. lol.

You dont know me, I dont know you. We're just talking in an open forum. Dont make false assumptions about me. angry

that aside, i agree with you on the flawed UAC approach. the only place i disagreed was when you said the adjustments introduced in windows 7 meant less security. wink (i thot i mentioned that i wasnt a fan of UAC.)
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 5:47pm On Feb 01, 2009
now you accuse me of stealing. you can make general statements, but dont direct any at me cos you dont know me. i was only responding to you based on what you wrote in here and didnt make any unfair assumptions. All MS Software on my system is licensed, up to my Visual Studio. MS just mailed me the SP1 update to VS2008 on DVD two weeks ago.
never accused you of anything ,  my statement was very measured,  i said " yet[b] i wont be surprised[/b] if 90%  of the software you use on your beloved OS was stolen," that is different from[b] "i know all of your windows software is stolen."[/b]  there is a natural presumptions that a Nigerian windows user uses stolen/illegal (were u use an original windowsOS/Software on more than one machine -depending on license then its becomes illegal software usage- until that presumption is rebutted. ) even than i didnt accuse you of using stolen illegal software ,  just said it wont surprise me if you did.

i dont care if you've written more guides than myself or if you're an MVP or anythn.
yeah sure you don't care but at least show some appreciation for those who care to give a helping hand and stop calling them haters.

your last lenghty post was exactly wat made me ask you to stop hating
  and i ahve asked you to point to me which part contained the hate , 
especially this part
. many people use Unix because they feel windows is for children. while i dont agree with them. but u have to agree with me that windows can sure make the user feel dump. there are things i do on nix ,  like mounting my home directory on a separate partition,  in fact i can mount any directory on any partition ,  and with ssh + nfs i can even build a HPC with distributed filesystem across over 100 computers. you have the bourne again shell and the core utils there is nothing that cant be done from a  shell interface ,  plus i can restart any service on my system without restarting the whole system. many of this things cant be done on windows. it just wasnt built to work that way.

ahhh That was under the point i made about power users bring uncomfortable with windows and its rigid ways ,  am sure you missed my point when i said[b] i don't agree with most power user you feel windows is for children[/b],  and yeah i said windows can make a user feel dump ,  it makes many assumptions for you and can prevent you from doing just want you want to do on your PC,  esp if you are coming from a nix distro like FreeBSD or archlinux (which is an awesome distro btw, ) beside i didn't make an empty statement i backed it up with facts ,  stating that things like mounting a separate home directory, distributed filesystem across over 100 computers, installing an OS as big as 100mb on a usb stick and boot from it on any computer and be internet ready in less than 20sec ,  what about chrooting, the power of shell and  gnu core utils to mention just a few,  i mean tell me why i have to restart my system because i did an internet explorer update. from a power user perspective windows sure can make you feel dumb ,  esp commandline ninjas i also added that powershell in windows 7 was a step in the right direction ,  so what is hateful about that,  proof me wrong i dare you to

since my university days, i've always hated bloated software. Antiviruses, to me are very good examples of bloated apps
nope AV arent bloated Softwares IMHO a bloated software is a software that is unnecessary and something now paramount to successfully running an OS we all know that a windows OS without AV is like a sitting duck. an unarmed Israeli soldier stranded in Gaza stands a better chance, 

I've written numerous tools for scanning and removing common viruses from systems
hmm so what would you call the tools you wrote to scan and remove viruses ,  emmm i think we can call them anti virus or should be call them virus removal or virus terminator ,  either way it just goes to proof my point that windows by it self cant secure it self from attack it would have to rely on another tool whether home made or commercial.  S
tarted in schl when i got a copy of ravmon and deliberately infected my system with it, and monitored its actions using Process Monitor from Sysinternals
eya if only windows were open source you could have sent your observation to the devs so that it can be added to the source code but Alas!.
So i guess i won the bet. not like there was any. lol.
which bet?

You dont know me, I dont know you. We're just talking in an open forum. Dont make false assumptions about me.
  never made any assumptions i just stated what was obvious.

that aside, i agree with you on the flawed UAC approach
pretty obvious.
the only place i disagreed was when you said the adjustments introduced in windows 7 meant less security
. i will let that by
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by flyuche(m): 9:27pm On Feb 01, 2009
interesting.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 3:53pm On Feb 02, 2009
@bigrovar, na wa for you and english abeg.

When you tell someone you wouldnt be surprised if he did somethn. . . that's an accusation in its own right. just like "i wont be surprised if u beat your girlfriend up after making love to her". . . now, how does that sound? baseless assumption/accusation directed at you, isnt it? This aint no court anyways. . lets drop it.

yeah sure you don't care but at least show some appreciation for those who care to give a helping hand and stop calling them haters.
i'll appreciate it when i encounter it. here, its a different ball game.

beside i didn't make an empty statement i backed it up with facts , stating that things like mounting a separate home directory, distributed filesystem across over 100 computers, installing an OS as big as 100mb on a usb stick and boot from it on any computer and be internet ready in less than 20sec , what about chrooting, the power of shell and gnu core utils to mention just a few, i mean tell me why i have to restart my system because i did an internet explorer update. from a power user perspective windows sure can make you feel dumb
dear bigrovar, there is a difference between when you state your wishlist for an operating system based on some features you like in alternative operating systems and when you blatantly compare the two operating systems and make the one in question seem less capable. That's why I reminded you of the thread's title "Windows 7: now available", not "Windows 7: Better than any alternative". So i dont see the point in trying your best to make the OS look less important IMHO.

we all know that a windows OS without AV is like a sitting duck. an unarmed Israeli soldier stranded in Gaza stands a better chance
lol! nice comparison. AVs r bloated to me. Why shld i hav an app that sucks the hell out of my precious CPU juice, maybe its just me. (compare mcafee to nod32 and tell me mcafee isnt bloated) does that mean i stand a better chance than an unarmed Isreali soldier stranded in Gaza. . . kinda makes me happy! cheesy

eya if only windows were open source you could have sent your observation to the devs so that it can be added to the source code but Alas!.
now its open-source advocacy. na wa o! remember the thread's title!

which bet?
if windows 7 is that secured. then try running it without an AV , i bet you wont dare
cheesy

you ended up being wrong. maybe you should change your writing style. Dont say "you". Saying "most people" helps in times like this. "You" directs your statements at whoever you are talking to. wink
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 9:13pm On Feb 02, 2009

When you tell someone you wouldnt be surprised if he did somethn . . that's an accusation in its own right

nope its not its expectation,  its like saying it wont be a new thing if you use a stolen software ,  its what is prevalent and your case is just an exception,  am not accusing you never did so don't feel paranoid .

just like "i wont be surprised if u beat your girlfriend up after making love to her". . . now, how does that sound? baseless assumption/accusation directed at you, isnt it? This aint no court anyways 
well if i come from a society where people do such a thing then you wont be angry i would just tell you "dude am different". .
lets drop it
. yeah good idea

dear bigrovar, there is a difference between when you state your wishlist for an operating system based on some features you like in alternative operating systems and when you blatantly compare the two operating systems and make the one in question seem less capable. That's why I reminded you of the thread's title "Windows 7: now available", not "Windows 7: Better than any alternative". So i dont see the point in trying your best to make the OS look less important IMHO.
i wasnt stating a wishlist ,  i was just saying that windows 7 is not the best thing since slice bread and i asked what the new features in windows 7 was beside the revamped areo interface,  and it doesnt do anything radically different from previous version of windows,  every body dey talk their own experience and reviews me self talk my own ,  just because it was critical of windows am being flamed and called a hater,  i just stated that there was nothing in windows that would make most who have left to other OS come back ,  ok what would u rather i say? follow  the official line? ahhhhhhhhh windows 7 is the coolest thing to happen since obama ,  naa i dont work that way i see behond the hype and tell as i see it.

lol! nice comparison. AVs r bloated to me. Why shld i hav an app that sucks the hell out of my precious CPU juice, maybe its just me. (compare mcafee to nod32 and tell me mcafee isnt bloated does that mean i stand a better chance than an unarmed Isreali soldier stranded in Gaza. . . kinda makes me happy! Cheesy
lets not get carried away from the point i was trying to make which is that windows is not inherently secured and would always need some external tool for protection,  Gaza,Hamas, Mcafee were just used for analogy

now its open-source advocacy. na wa o! remember the thread's title!
wow so you know,  when u were yanning about playing James Bond while studying the Modus operandi of Ravmon

which bet?
if windows 7 is that secured. then try running it without an AV ,  i bet you wont dare
Cheesy t
his guy sha even u admit that to having some tools for removing virus which is just my point that windows is not inherently secured.

you ended up being wrong. maybe you should change your writing style. Dont say "you". Saying "most people" helps in times like this. "You" directs your statements at whoever you are talking to.
   look at the content of what i have been saying and tell me am wrong ,  look at the issues with Rigidity of windows [/b]and its componets,  the one about [b]insecurity,  the one about[b] lack of customization[/b],  the one about DRM  ,  and lack of power tools ,  the sad part is that you know this things are true and havent changed with windows 7 ,  but you rather not address them,   address the issues ,  what has changed with windows 7
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by flyuche(m): 12:18am On Feb 03, 2009
its true. why do we need kaspersky, norton or mcAfee to make our pc safe? so windows defender or firewall or MRT is nor smart enough to handle malware or viruses. is it not possible to have built into the os package a very strong security suite?
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 12:16pm On Feb 03, 2009
his guy sha even u admit that to having some tools for removing virus which is just my point that windows is not inherently secured.
i was only answering ur question of 'which bet'. i no dey follow u argue again. the tools are write arent for my use, i happily distribute them to pple unfortunate to find themselves in such situations. windows isnt secure in on its own, but the users to need to get smart and not fall for cheap tricks. disabling autorun on xp, displaying file extensions for all file types so u dont click on 'my_picture.jpg.exe', showing hidden files and system files, and not clicking on anythn that comes your way is a good way to be virus free without unnecessary tools. works for me.

look at the content of what i have been saying and tell me am wrong
i was talking about times you made references to 'me' not to the operating system. look at your post on Feb 1, where you said u never made assumptions.

what has changed with windows 7
dude, geek aside. . . the average joe has learnt that to keep his windows secure, he/she needs an antivirus. certain steps have been taken however to improve security without annoying the crap out of the user. yes, users still run as root (just like on the mac, and nobody complains tongue). but i degress.

back to the issue of what's new. windows 7 is an improved version of vista. its sports an intuitive ui (like changing screen resolution/connecting to a wireless network now takes fewer clicks). muti-touch support, device stage (number 1 feature i'll really love to see work for real), etc. This announcements have been made ever since last year when windows 7 was first discussed in seminars and developer conferences.

ok, so this windows 7 is now available for beta testers and some nice guy announces on Nairaland. some 'Windows guides writer and troubleshooting expert and wateva u call urself' decides to start asking if this and that are available. of course they are not. nobody ever said they will (the roadmap for windows 7 had clearly been stated earlier). so why ask of them on this thread? see why tex and i called you 'hater'?

we love windows 7 for wat it does. yes, we have our wishes and really hope microsoft puts them in plans in future iterations of windows, but come on, they've told you what windows 7 is all about. . . over 6 months before its beta was available for download.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by texazzpete(m): 1:48pm On Feb 03, 2009
flyuche:

its true. why do we need kaspersky, norton or mcAfee to make our pc safe? so windows defender or firewall or MRT is nor smart enough to handle malware or viruses. is it not possible to have built into the os package a very strong security suite?

Microsoft's already taking serious heat from the EU from bundling it's internet explorer browser with Windows. They've had to fork out hefty fines and are still facing the heat.
Bundling an antivirus solution with Windows will send the EU regulators into a frenzy  grin

There, now, i didn't call you a troll this time  grin
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 8:04pm On Feb 03, 2009
i was only answering ur question of 'which bet'. i no dey follow u argue again. the tools are write arent for my use, i happily distribute them to pple unfortunate to find themselves in such situations. windows isnt secure in on its own, but the users to need to get smart and not fall for cheap tricks. disabling autorun on xp, displaying file extensions for all file types so u dont click on 'my_picture.jpg.exe', showing hidden files and system files, and not clicking on anythn that comes your way is a good way to be virus free without unnecessary tools. works for me.
then we are saying the same thing no need to push the point any further. (you should add not viewing site for specialist videos )

i was talking about times you made references to 'me' not to the operating system. look at your post on Feb 1, where you said u never made assumptions.
ok if you felt i made any negative assumption about your person them am sorry . it wasn't intentional , 

dude, geek aside. . . the average joe has learnt that to keep his windows secure, he/she needs an antivirus. certain steps have been taken however to improve security without annoying the crap out of the user. yes, users still run as root (just like on the mac, and nobody complains Tongue)

read my post ,  you are just stating what i have been saying all this while,  MS should try and work out a ground up approach to security. that hasn't changed in windows 7.

.back to the issue of what's new. windows 7 is an improved version of vista.
which is not saying much considering the mess that was vista
, its sports an intuitive ui
i admitted that it had an improved areo interface ,  read my earlier post
(like changing screen resolution/connecting to a wireless network now takes fewer clicks)
  yeah i also noticed the improved wireless (especially for making adhoc shared networking,  . ,
muti-touch support,
(that is the biggest feature i see in windows 7 ,  its really damn good, 
device stage (number 1 feature i'll really love to see work for real)
  hmm dont know about that ,  what is it all about? , .

This announcements have been made ever since last year when windows 7 was first discussed in seminars and developer conferences. forget announcements
, i have stopped taking windows announcement seriously since the longhorn flop  ,  i mean if roadmap were followed ,  that vista would be using winfs, and come with some really cool features like magic folder and shit,  we all know how that ended,  [

ok, so this windows 7 is now available for beta testers and some nice guy announces on Nairaland. some 'Windows guides writer and troubleshooting expert and wateva u call urself' decides to start asking if this and that are available. of course they are not. nobody ever said they will (the roadmap for windows 7 had clearly been stated earlier)
dude what is really your beef ,  na MS be your papa ni abi why are u taking this very personal ,   this thread is about windows 7 beta being released and all ,  so you think its out of place  to say how disappointed i am that some fundamentalist flaws has still not been fixed ,   so what in your wisdom is allowed to be discussed in this thread,  oh windows 7 is great ,  is the best thing since slice bread ,  haaaaaaaaaa am soo happy ,  it works like a charm ,   the thread is obviously about windows 7 and any talk about how good or bad it is  ,  is not out of place , 
so why ask of them on this thread?
   ask who ,  i made an observation and asked an open question on what has  really changed in windows 7 ,  if you had been  said "oh its not that bad . in fact this and this and this have been improved ,  and no you are wrong on this ,  it would have made a more healthy discussion ,   , 
see why tex and i called you 'hater'?
oh so am now called a hater for asking what windows 7 does differently from other windows  ,  asked a simple question and made an objective assessment on windows 7 as i see it ,   and why i think its still more of the same ,  i stated my reasons  most of which you agreed were valid , 
"bigbrovar hates windows that is why he says this things" i have spoken for windows before on this forums ,  but i was very articulate about it and never used insulting   words ,  i hit the point ,  without getting emotional ,  more over i looked at the points that were being made by the other guy not only did i learn it made me a better person,  i wont be were i am if i just conclude that ahh bunch of haters,  but whatever mehn ,  i have made my points ,  and you and i know that their vaild points ,   ,  its an open forum and people can see what is written and make their judgement .they know who is being articulate and who is being childish
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by texazzpete(m): 7:24am On Feb 04, 2009
bigrovar:

I am still yet to see what the hype is all about with windows 7 fine its an improvement over vista (which is not saying much because vista is arguably the biggest flop of the new millennium - 6 years development+ 10 billion dollars = can i have xp please)

Most of the negative publicity surrounding Vista are from people who have either never used it before, or have run it on computer systems with specifications lower than the specified minimum specs. Couple that with a concerted effort from Apple and Linux fanboys to cast as much dirt on the OS and you see how bad the smear campaign has worked.
I would think that an improvement over a pre-existing OS should be reason enough for hype, especially as Windows 7 is reputed to improve on the speed and stability of Vista.

bigrovar:

but get over the fancy new task manager and the polished aero interface what has really changed in windows. what does windows 7 do differently. thanks to vista lots of hardcore windows people sorted other alternatives ,  some went for the apple others took refuge with the penguin. what does windows 7 have to bring these people back. here are some of the fundamental issue i have with windows which needs to be addressed by windows 7 before i can consider giving it a thought

How would you know what has changed in Windows 7 when you refuse to read blog reviews and have failed to beta test the software?
Win 7 is more an evolutionary than revolutionary upgrade from Vista, but it brings in many little changes that they amount to a whole new experience.  there are new features, such as advances in touch, speech, and handwriting recognition, support for virtual hard disks, improved performance on multi-core processors, improved boot performance, improved search, multi-touch support and improved networking among many other upgrades.
Most people find the improved Wordpad, Notepad, Paint and calculator to be pretty dang good. Why no mention?
What i find extremely shocking in a self-described system administrator is that you fail to acknowledge the obvious improvements in memory management and scalability that millions of people around the world have reported. People out there are running Windows 7 on netbooks, Pentium 3 CPUs, and older Via processors. There's a video on youtube showing Windows 7 being installed and run capably on an UMPC with an intel 600Mhz CPU!!. yet all you can talk about are interface tweaks.
Epic fail, Mr Sys admin.

bigrovar:

rigid
One thing i never liked about windows was the fact that it was just too rigid. everything thing seem to be hardwired to each other in such a way that if there is a problem  one application it could make the whole system unstable. e.g you are watching a dvd and (due to a bad disk) windows media player stop responding ,  this could make the whole system freeze ,  if you try to close WMP it would say not responding asking if you want to close it. if you say yes. it would not only close wmp it would also close windows explorer and everything from your task-bar to Internet explorer and your desktop icons would disappear. has this changed with windows 7.

Bottom line, stop placing unreadable DVDs in your drive. I might add that this has never happened to me in XP, and Vista and 7 are progressively more stable. I fail to see how closing WMP would close your IE and Windows Explorer. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

bigrovar:

Customization
how customizable can windows be ,  fine you can change the wallpaper and with vista you are allowed to change tint the aero glass. but that is as  far as it goes. thinking of changing the theme you would have to pay for windows blind (which add more weight to your already over stretched system resources) if not then you would have to soil or illegally patch the UX theme (which would mean you have to be scared of any MS update) has this changed with windows 7

Look, i know from your previous posts that you're keen on system themes and stuff, but it's somewhat laughable seeing this as a gripe from a 'system administrator'. Microsoft allows user generated themes to be downloaded and installed from their website. That's it. it isn't Ubuntu, it isn't an Open source OS and they're not too keen on you mangling Aero to your heart's content. Window Blind is not that expensive, if it takes your fancy, buy the damn thing.
For what it's worth, i don't think Apple provides such tools in OSX either.

bigrovar:

Security
some people said windows is a target for virus because its the most used OS around. i say F that. windows is a target because it has some gapping holes which are easily exploited. why should i ever need an AntiVirus why would my OS always have really on another program to to be secured. i mean if i paid so much money for my OS it should be secured. one big problem with windows is that users always run as root. many windows user dont know the implication of this. the root user is the all powerful with powers to make wide range changes  the system  compromise the root user and the whole system is compromised. Vista tried to block this security hole with UAC but it was poorly implemented. now am hearing the windows 7 way is to allow users to reduce the effect of UAC which would mean less annoyance but more insecurity.

Yes, we all know Windows is a target for thousands of Viruses. But it doesn't take much effort to install and update antivirus software, many of which consume a lot less system resources than they used to. Even former bloatware AVs like Norton are now almost as unintrusive as the NOD32s of this world.
Vista brought about several important security improvements from XP. At least now that Win 7 should deliver great performance, XP users who have no reason to keep holding out will benefit from the improvement in security.
it would have been foolhardy for Microsoft to change the way applications run in Windows 7, since most people spreading negative word of Windows Vista refer to incompatibility with some key programs. I  met someone the other day who opined that Vista was crap simply because he couldn't get AutoCAD 2006 to run on it. Making any changes at this stage will leave them exposed to more complaints, and naturally the Mac and Linux fanboys will salivate at the chance to embark on another smear campaign

bigrovar:

DRM

even apple (considered to be the father of drm) is scaling down on this evil. i never thought i would see the day when itunes would start supporting no drmed music. but alas! ,  windows vista is sooo drmed that you cant play a VOB file from windows media player without using tools like VLC. am not sure if things as improved with windows 7 because Vista was the most DRM OS every invented by man.

i could go on and on but these are some of the concerns i have with windows. many windows users even the hardened one feel my pain too but are too locked down my one killer app or the other that only run on windows.

This is another flaccid point. If Vob files are copy protected, they won't play. Nothing evil in that. if they aren't, simply change the extension to .mpg and it'll play just fine. What is so difficult in installing a free player like VLC? This strikes me as  a pretty lame excuse seeing as you usually go through far more hurdles with Linux with nary a word of complaint.
Windows 7 comes with support for Xvid, DivX, H.264 and AAC straight out of the box. Now that's a very welcome improvement!

bigrovar:

To be honest, most of the concerns you've mentioned are pretty lightweight for a person of your ability. Where are the extensive tests of the security, stability, memory management and scalability? Nowhere to be found. The only changes you acknowledge are merely visual (taskbar, aero interface), and it's pretty illogical

So let's see. You're a hotshot system administrator whizkid who learns that Windows 7 Beta has been released. The buzz from thousands of users is that it's a stunning return to form by Microsoft and even the most jaded critics are pleased with the result. carefully controlled Benchmarks show Windows 7 outperforming XP and Vista SP1 even in a Beta form, and Win 7 is being installed on everything but the toaster and Kitchen sink.
You grab a copy of the beta OS and install it, and instead on focusing on exploring the key drivers for the hype, you blather on about customizing themes and other trivialities and of course can't resist showing off why you think Linux is better.

Hilarious.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 3:55pm On Feb 04, 2009
Most of the negative publicity surrounding Vista are from people who have either never used it before, or have run it on computer systems with specifications lower than the specified minimum specs.

What specs are we talking about ,  it seems you don't read my replies which is very sad,  i read your replies and take note when am wrong that is what is called a healthy discussion which it seems you are incapable of having,   i said earlier with proof of how even MS execs couldn't even say what a vista capable system is ,  how MS was even sued over the vista capable scandal,  how i had a laptop that was 500mb was labelled vista capable ,   but wont even boot vista ,  you never responded,  now you are coming out of the woodwork bring up the same argument , 

Couple that with a concerted effort from Apple and Linux fanboys to cast as much dirt on the OS and you see how bad the smear campaign has worked.
Vista is bad,  period ,  it had nothing to do with any fanboys ,  OK why aren't people saying the same thing about windwows 7 ,  so far the comment about windwow 7 has been that its an improvement over vista ,   very few people could say that about vista in relation to XP.

I would think that an improvement over a pre-existing OS should be reason enough for hype, especially as Windows 7 is reputed to improve on the speed and stability of Vista
.  Improvement is a good thing ,  when such improvement is more of fine tuning than anything revolutionary  then hype is not good,  it will only raise people's expectation (it happened with vista when MS came out in 2003 *not sure about the date* and released a video of what was suppose to Be longhorn vista was release and 90% of what was in the video never made it to vista.

How would you know what has changed in Windows 7 when you refuse to read blog reviews and have failed to beta test the software?
Win 7 is more an evolutionary than revolutionary upgrade from Vista, but it brings in many little changes that they amount to a whole new experience.  there are new features, such as advances in touch, speech, and handwriting recognition, support for virtual hard disks, improved performance on multi-core processors, improved boot performance, improved search, multi-touch support and improved networking among many other upgrades.
Most people find the improved Wordpad, Notepad, Paint and calculator to be pretty dang good. Why no mention?
What i find extremely shocking in a self-described system administrator is that you fail to acknowledge the obvious improvements in memory management and scalability that millions of people around the world have reported. People out there are running Windows 7 on netbooks, Pentium 3 CPUs, and older Via processors. There's a video on youtube showing Windows 7 being installed and run capably on an UMPC with an intel 600Mhz CPU!!. yet all you can talk about are interface tweaks.
Epic fail, Mr Sys admin.
the thing i always find amusing is why you are incapable of making your point without resulting to insults and name calling ,  really it would just make people not to take you seriously,  it make you feel like a some kid and it stains your otherwise decent point,   anyway i will brush the yab,   the improvement you have listed are cool and like i said earlier , i only used windows 7 for like 2 days mainly for browsing doing which time i didn't notice any improved memory management ,  i have seen reviews that says windows 7 uses less memories and runs better on netbooks ,  but like i said before (read my earlier post so i don't have to repeat my self everytime) i take blog posts with a pinch of salt ,  MS as been known to bribe bloggers i gave you instances ,  why am not saying everybody that wrote something good about Win7 has been bribed am just saying am more akin to take my own experience than that of any blogger,   windows 7 is cool ,  but not the best thing since slice bread,  and while i see it halting the steady droves of people seeking alternative OS ,  i don't see it bringing back those that have left. which is the  kernel of my point.

Bottom line, stop placing unreadable DVDs in your drive. I might add that this has never happened to me in XP, and Vista and 7 are progressively more stable. I fail to see how closing WMP would close your IE and Windows Explorer. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.
nope the proper way is to make the OS modular so that  things like WMP are not hardwired into the system,  most times u never know a dvd is bad till you try it,   WMP, IE, Winexplorer  are all wired into the Windows shell ,  that is why sometimes when WMP hangs you get "windows explorer is not responding click ok to end not" or something like that , i provide support in my work place and it happens many times ,  i was just asking if the situation has improved with vista, 

Look, i know from your previous posts that you're keen on system themes and stuff, but it's somewhat laughable seeing this as a gripe from a 'system administrator'. Microsoft allows user generated themes to be downloaded and installed from their website. That's it. it isn't Ubuntu, it isn't an Open source OS and they're not too keen on you mangling Aero to your heart's content. Window Blind is not that expensive, if it takes your fancy, buy the damn thing.
For what it's worth, i don't think Apple provides such tools in OSX either.

what does being a sysadmin have to do with theming? please explain ,  beside i love to tweak my system because i spend most of the day infront of it so i like it to be comfortable ,  and staring at the same looks everytime is boring ,  my work is mostly done on guiless servers,   but my laptop most be look good being a sysadmin has nothing to do with that. again your argument drifting towards insult (btw how old are you) btw i would love to see the sites were user generated themes can be downloaded from MS,   and it doesn't have to be open source we have what is called open standards  all you have to do is release specs for making themes on windows ,  and let the windows community take it from there. why do i have to buy windows blind,  that is exactly my point,   before vista was released MS said it would be easily themable ,  that never happened.  and this discussion is not about OSX

Yes, we all know Windows is a target for thousands of Viruses. But it doesn't take much effort to install and update antivirus software, many of which consume a lot less system resources than they used to. Even former bloatware AVs like Norton are now almost as unobtrusive as the NOD32s of this world.
  viruses target windows because of its gapping holes ,  any script kiddie can easily write a program that would make windows unstable,  and i repeat a secured OS should never need an AV ,  if its secured ,  then its secured,  if its still needs an AV then its not secured ,  the fact that most windows users don't complain is because there have come to see life that way,   windows make them believe that an OS just most have an AV,  even with all the AVs in this world windows is still that secured.

Vista brought about several important security improvements from XP. At least now that Win 7 should deliver great performance, XP users who have no reason to keep holding out will benefit from the improvement in security.

like i said before vista uses a flawed approach to security. UAC is easily  bypassed,  security should come from ground up, 

it would have been foolhardy for Microsoft to change the way applications run in Windows 7, since most people spreading negative word of Windows Vista refer to incompatibility with some key programs
windows has a tradition of compatibility i know some windows 95 programs that runs on xp,  if you have security from kernel level ,  it wont even affect the user space and the way applications runs wont change.even UAC wont be needed. people will hardly note the difference.

This is another flaccid point. If Vob files are copy protected,
i got a dvd and copied the content to my laptop becuase i don't want to ware out my dvd drive by playing it directly,  but my OS wont play them,  because their copy protected ,  something i got legally,  if that is not bad then i don't know what is,  the whole essence of DRM is damn evil that is why Apple one of the pioneers of drm are starting to drop support for it ,  any OS that enforces DRM is bad.

I  met someone the other day who opined that Vista was crap simply because he couldn't get AutoCAD 2006 to run on it. Making any changes at this stage will leave them exposed to more complaints, and naturally the Mac and Linux fanboys will salivate at the chance to embark on another smear campaign
i also met someone recently in starcoms office ,  he was raining abuse on "billi gate" in yoruba ,  complaining about how much vista is frustrating his business,  he said we would be getting a mac because his friend who has one has no problem,  vista is bad,  i know lots of people who would not touch it with a pole,  even MS is aware of this ,  mac/linux fanboys had nothing to do with it being bad ,    it works for some people ,  but majority opinion is that it sucks!,

What is so difficult in installing a free player like VLC? This strikes me as  a pretty lame excuse seeing as you usually go through far more hurdles with Linux with nary a word of complaint
. what complaint ,  you are ignorant of many thing you say but i wont fall for the temptation to make this a windows vs linux thing,  all i will say is that in linux some distros refused to ship proprietary codecs because it would stain their opensource status ,  there instead provide means where users can easily download this codecs if they want,  and once there do ,  there anything plays ,  and vob,mp3 everything ,  without drm

if you don't like it then they are lots of distros that ship all the codecs out of the box ,  Linux mint, linux ultimate edition,gOS to name a few ,  even if you by the dell that come preinstalled with ubuntu you get all the multimedia codecs preinstalled . drm free ,  but like i said this is not a windows vs linux discussion

Windows 7 comes with support for Xvid, DivX, H.264 and AAC straight out of the box. Now that's a very welcome improvement!
  yeah i agree its welcome indeed ,  just hope that drm is removed,

To be honest, most of the concerns you've mentioned are pretty lightweight for a person of your ability. Where are the extensive tests of the security, stability, memory management and scalability? Nowhere to be found. The only changes you acknowledge are merely visual (taskbar, aero interface), and it's pretty illogical

well its your opinion ,   what ispoke about are some of the fundamental flaws that comes with every windows system ,  some of this flaws are the root causes of windows problems and i tel you why

Where are the extensive tests of the security,
i talked about security ,   UAC is a flawed approach to tackling security ,  windows need a ground up approach to security,   disabling root users by default is a good step,   making internet explorer a user space app not something that is hardwired into the system were compromising IE can put your system in the hands of a soiler,  that has to change,

stability
like i said ,  windows should be scalable ,  IE, WE,WMP should not be too hardwired into the system,  the windows kernel should be isolated from user space applications and drivers,  the windows shell and the NT kernel should not be wired together ,  windows should be very scalable ,  so that you can remove any part that is not needed,  e.g i might need to install a headless server,  without GUI ,  i should be able to ,  this why a problem with one aspect of windows doesn't mean everything would grind to a halt,  this would bring more stability ,  this is the part were i talked about it being modular

memory management
fulls under power tools ,  i can you tell how many services that you are running and how many you know anything about,  advance users need to have control over everything that runs on their systems,  no service should run without me authorising it to ,  that way i can keep an tab on my systems memory,  look at the amount of program that add them selves to your start-up without your consent,  and there is no tool to remove them unless you download a 3rd party,  many of which are not free ,   the ability of windows 7 to render areo in gpu so that less ram is a good effort ,  but even that is not the right approach with mem managements,  lets hope its well implemented

i also talked about the ability to customise and raised the issue of drm,  every version of windows (don't know about win7 that is why i was asking) has this problem, 

So let's see. You're a hotshot system administrator whizkid who learns that Windows 7 Beta has been released. The buzz from thousands of users is that it's a stunning return to form by Microsoft and even the most jaded critics are pleased with the result. carefully controlled Benchmarks show Windows 7 outperforming XP and Vista SP1 even in a Beta form, and Win 7 is being installed on everything but the toaster and Kitchen sink.
You grab a copy of the beta OS and install it, and instead on focusing on exploring the key drivers for the hype, you blather on about customising themes and other trivialities     
wtf  does the above statement have to do with anything ,  you know its always good to check out facts before making assumptions ,  that way it put some credibility in your statements,  first of  i stumbled upon windows 7 in a friends place over the hols,  it was the only system connected to the internet so i decided to use it to check my mails, and general browsing ,  the only thing i checked was the memory usage and i think you know what my results were ,  i never downloaded the ISO, i never intend to test windos 7 or use it or benchmark it,  ,  i will never run it on my system ,  not because i think its crap but it just doesn't fit my needs ,  i asked what it does diff from previous windows and so far the only concrete thing i got was improved touch support,  i raised my concerns ( and the concerns of many) about windows which some of which are DRM,SECURITY from ground up ,SCALABILITY,CUSTOMISATION,LACK OF POWER TOOLS,  all this are facts that even you didn't deny even though you tried making execuses for them the flaws or call them trivialities,  are there they are real,  u cant deny that,  windows 7 is an improvement to vista,  but still inherits this flaws,   

and of course can't resist showing off why you think Linux is better.
it seems you are trying desperately to make this into a windows vs linux thing,  i tried to judge windows on its merit ,  never did i say linux was better ,  in some instances i used what is practised in *nix to stress my point,  but even then i never made a com-parism or said windows was bad because linux is better,  some of the problems i spoke about affects ubuntu ,  and even in the irc i make my views heard ,  am a pragmatic guy,  if something doesn't work for me,  i don't hide my feelings ,  i say it,  am writting a blog post of some things i feel were messed up with ubuntu current release,    am not attached to any OS,  if it works for me i use it ,  if not i try to make it better by stating what i feel could be improved on ,  and i move on,  please don't make this a windows vs linux thing,  because if you do it would be a ruthless victory,  you know very little about linux,  i have used windows extensively,  part of my work is providing support of our windows users,  and admin the windows lab i setup,  there is nothing you can tell me about windows that i don't know,  i know the pros and cons of windows ,  u on the other hand have little experience with linux,  u don't even know the cons if it stare u in the face,    unless u rely on google to dig out dirt,  which would just make you look stupid,  so please THIS IS ABOUT WINDOWS 7 LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY ,  for sanity sake,  (and to safe you the embarrassment of talking about something you know every little about)
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by naijafan(m): 9:52pm On Feb 04, 2009
@bigrovar
duh. . . you made comparisons several times. so dont you even turn it on tex.
there are things i do on nix , like mounting my home directory on a separate partition, in fact i can mount any directory on any partition , and with ssh + nfs i can even build a HPC with distributed filesystem across over 100 computers. you have the bourne again shell and the core utils there is nothing that cant be done from a shell interface , plus i can restart any service on my system without restarting the whole system. many of this things cant be done on windows
a fool knows that's outright comparison.

MS as been known to bribe bloggers i gave you instances
now that's crap. Ever heard of WORD OF MOUTH MARKETING? everytime MS does something out of the ordinary, the whole world goes painting it all black. google on the other hand sneezes, and everyone goes talking about how its the next big thing. sure u noticed the whole "hooo haaaa" when google changed their browser favicon to this present colorful one. anyway, that's by the way.

Nokia uses WOM as well. bloggers all over the world are sent feature phones even before they are released to stores to drive up the sensation and boost sales. if it works for Nokia (which is really obvious), why cant Microsoft try it in peace?

I'm sure u knw of the recent EU mandate for microsoft to sell Windows without a browser so the user has a choice. I'll place them in the same 'hate' category as you.

windows has a tradition of compatibility i know some windows 95 programs that runs on xp
i knw win95 progs that work on vista too. on the other hand, certain prgs run on 95 but not on 98. breaks ur statement, doesnt it?
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 05, 2009
most of the hype about windows 7 doesn't matter. all sorts of great things were said about vista when it was in beta. the knives came out after it was officially released to the public.

there is no guarantee that software and hardware vendors are working to actually ensure compatibility with windows 7, which was IMHO, the cause of most of the grief about vista in the first place.

of course, being a software junkie, i will buy windows 7 when it comes out . . .
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by bigrovar(m): 9:32am On Feb 05, 2009
duh. . . you made comparisons several times. so dont you even turn it on tex.
that was when i was talking about power tools ,  and there was no way to stress my point than to bring instances of what obtains in other OS that was why i used the word nix which is a general word for BSD,solaris,mac, and Linux ,   i said it would be cool windows could have some of the power tools that this OS have ,   maybe you don't read my post ,  which can be very frustrating ,  i see this more as a discussion ,   if you read my post i admitted making comparison just to illustrate my point and not to say Linux is better than Linux .  beside i used the world nix which as i said earlier is a term for non NT based OS. remember one of the kernel of my point is the ability of windows to bring back some of those that have left for alternatives ,  many of this people are used to the power tool available on this systems and unless windows start doing something about it  ,  . its hard to see them come back ,  i also said that  the powershell was a step in the right direction,  like i said earlier am a pragmatic person and even when i talk to nix developers in the forums and #irc i something make suggestion on while the some things could be taking from windows and applied on nix ,  and there are some Windows technologies    that have been reverse engineered to work on linux like SAMBA and mono this are great stuff that run on many nix platforms and are very vital,  so its  not out of place to say MS could apdapt some nix tech to make it better,  that is different from saying linux as better than windows ,  except for intellectual discussiongs i feel no system is better than the other ,  just use what works for you,  even then i still would say it that windows 7 does is essentially a fine turning    of vista and still carries many of the flaws inherent in the windows. MS has started wor on a completely new platform called midori which would be an OS targetted at cloud computing,  its hope that comes out well ,   if i wanted to make this a windows vs linux thing believe me my approach would have been very diff . believe me

now that's crap. Ever heard of WORD OF MOUTH MARKETING? everytime MS does something out of the ordinary,  the whole world goes painting it all black. google on the other hand sneezes, and everyone goes talking about how its the next big thing. sure u noticed the whole "hooo haaaa" when google changed their browser favicon to this present colorful one. anyway, that's by the way.

Nokia uses WOM as well. bloggers all over the world are sent feature phones even before they are released to stores to drive up the sensation and boost sales. if it works for Nokia (which is really obvious), why cant Microsoft try it in peace?

I'm sure u knw of the recent EU mandate for microsoft to sell Windows without a browser so the user has a choice. I'll place them in the same 'hate' category as you.
this is a very unfortunate statement ,  stop misleading people ,  nokia doesn't gift bloggers their product,  there loan them for review ,  am a blogger my self and it is considered very unethical in the blogging community to accept gift for reviews,  when this incident happened even CNET came out to say that they didnt recieve any laptop from MS ,   some bloggers are paid for what there write but that in its self is against the spirit of blogging,  which is about expressing you mind and opinion and when such opinions are tinted by gift that you lose credibility. some people do it,  and that is why i said i take blog some reviews with a pinch of salt,  even blogs like boycott novell are not taken seriously because of its baised views about MS,   what is bad is bad ,  am not a fan of google ,  and the fact that they too are involved in unhealthy practises doesnt make what MS did good. please be objective . if canonical the commercial sponsor of ubuntu does something bad i would say it,  same for redhat or even the free software foundation,  call a spade a spade,

i knw win95 progs that work on vista too. on the other hand, certain prgs run on 95 but not on 98. breaks ur statement, doesnt it?
why are you being confrontational on every statement i make ,  i was just saying that windows is known for its backward compatibilty,  it wasnt meant to be a negative statement,  it was more of a complement,   mehn you are really a FANBOY as i can see from all your post ,  try to be objective it would really help you in life,
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by flyuche(m): 10:51pm On Feb 05, 2009
windows 7 is vista service pack 3. i don't see any remarkable improvement in performance. vista can be tweaked to give the same UI as windows 7. i have had to reformat my vista system three times. this happens when i load it with all my favorite apps, then problems setting. and why internet explorer keeps crashing, i don't understand.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by texazzpete(m): 9:51am On Feb 06, 2009
flyuche:

windows 7 is vista service pack 3. i don't see any remarkable improvement in performance. vista can be tweaked to give the same UI as windows 7.

First of all, there's no Vista Service pack 2, so pulling number 3 from your ass is pretty silly. Sometimes improvements become large enough to warrant a new OS release. That's kinda like what Apple is doing with Snow Leopard.

There's not that much difference in UI between Windows 7 and Vista, and Microsoft has NEVER claimed that the UI was the major change between 7 and Vista.
I'm almost certain you haven't installed Windows 7 beta yet, so your comment about not seeing any Performance improvement must be taken with a pinch of salt.

flyuche:

i have had to reformat my vista system three times. this happens when i load it with all my favorite apps, then problems setting. and why internet explorer keeps crashing, i don't understand.

Have you considered that the problems may be with your 'favorite apps'? Why blame the OS for poorly written or incompatble software?

oyb:

there is no guarantee that software and hardware vendors are working to actually ensure compatibility with windows 7, which was IMHO, the cause of most of the grief about vista in the first place.

Windows 7 is set to be the darling of the consumer laptop section as soon as it comes out, and will definitely be the OS of choice preinstaled on Netbooks. 99.99% of software developers will be making sure that their software runs on Win 7.
As Microsoft said, if it runs on Vista, it'll run on Windows 7. Vista drivers also work in most cases on Win 7.
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 06, 2009
TP , lets hope nvidia behave this time. going by the net - their poorly written drivers gave gamers no end of grief. i have had to reinstall windows twice and i belive it was an nvidia issue - the black sceen of frustrartion. my system booted fine, but no video, just a black screen. . .

actually vista sp2 beta is out. . .

very few of my apps wont run with vista PDMS - actually v12 runs, but unlike acad PDMS is very hard to find sad
then one or two minor apps

please tell me if MS answered one of my wishes - a button to toggle the preview pane, rather than the piss poor nested menu they provided in vista

did they include native windowing of legacy games?

theres a tool called D3D windower which i use to window old 640 x 480 res games that do fullscreen by force. be nice if that was implemented as part of vista
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by texazzpete(m): 2:53pm On Feb 06, 2009
oyb:

TP , lets hope nvidia behave this time. going by the net - their poorly written drivers gave gamers no end of grief. i have had to reinstall windows twice and i belive it was an nvidia issue - the black sceen of frustrartion. my system booted fine, but no video, just a black screen. . .

actually vista sp2 beta is out. . .

very few of my apps wont run with vista PDMS - actually v12 runs, but unlike acad PDMS is very hard to find sad
then one or two minor apps

please tell me if MS answered one of my wishes - a button to toggle the preview pane, rather than the piss poor nested menu they provided in vista

did they include native windowing of legacy games?

theres a tool called D3D windower which i use to window old 640 x 480 res games that do fullscreen by force. be nice if that was implemented as part of vista

Yeah SP2 beta but not an official full release. That is still slated for April/May this year.
The preview pane has been improved exponentially. Now all you need to toggle it is to press Alt + P. You can play videos, view documents and photos etc.

Here are some links to an articles previewing Win 7

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview.asp

Part 2: Desktop Enhancements - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_02.asp
Part 3: Explorer and Networking - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_03.asp
Part 4: Apps, Internet, & Devices - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_04.asp
Part 5: Business and IT Pro - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_05.asp

Also here a Wikipedia article on Windows 7's new features.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7
-
Re: Windows 7 Beta: Now Available by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 06, 2009
texazzpete:

Yeah SP2 beta but not an official full release. That is still slated for April/May this year.
The preview pane has been improved exponentially. Now all you need to toggle it is to press Alt + P. You can play videos, view documents and photos etc.

Here are some links to an articles previewing Win 7

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview.asp

Part 2: Desktop Enhancements - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_02.asp
Part 3: Explorer and Networking - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_03.asp
Part 4: Apps, Internet, & Devices - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_04.asp
Part 5: Business and IT Pro - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_preview_05.asp

Also here a Wikipedia article on Windows 7's new features.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7
-

ope o grin thanx. there was NO workaround for this ion vista. all things being equal i shld take delivery of a 500gb hdd end of this mth. so myb i'll be triple booting xp, vista and win 7

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Fix Any Laptop Displaying Black/blank Screen At Start Up / 100+ Top Whatsapp Group Names Ideas / 1,000 Windows Shortcut Keys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 246
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.