Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications (14130 Views)

CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I / Implications Of Not Meeting The Deadline For Bvn Registration. / Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by lalasticlala(m): 7:50pm On Feb 24, 2015
There was a lot of anxiety when INEC moved the elections about two weeks ago apparently because of looming insecurity. People wanted to move out of the country because they thought there’d be violence.

But in an ironic twist, moving the elections has brought some relief and people are going about the normal lives again. Those who initially thought the postponement was a bad idea also now see the good side of it, given reports that millions of people hadn’t received their permanent cards yet.

However, the postponement is having a bad impact on the economy.

Investors are especially hesitating to make long term investments. The development is also putting enormous pressure on the exchange rate of the naira. The exchange rate of the naira fell to as low as N206 to the dollar at the interbank and now trades for about N230 to the dollar at the black market, such that bureaux de change had to to shut down briefly last week.

International airlines have also raised fares as some Nigerians continue to intensify efforts to travel out of the country until the situation stabilises.

Consider what that would do to the exceedingly jittery naira or to the highly volatile stock exchange. The Nigerian Stock market on the other hand lost over $2 billion in the week after the election postponement was announced with stocks losing for 5 straight days. It has however, clawed back on another 7 day gaining streak even as fear of market volatility remains.

Consider the implications in a country that people, especially in the West, think is in a state of war. Think about how a foreign investor will react now that elections have been shifted and the next thing is uncertain.

The National Assembly has been distracted too, because they have not passed the budget. Governors aren’t also exempted from this situation. Some have left their work since November last year to work with presidential candidates, and this is wasting state resources. It is not anything new when one hears that state governments still haven’t paid its workers for months. The CBN is also temporising pending the passage of the elongated time for elections. This makes it difficult for businesses to make strategic economic decisions as one cannot predict the movement of the naira to the dollar for the next day. What does this portend for Nigeria? It’s quite simple to forecast an economy slowly creeping into recession. Stagnation is coming.

The truth is that INEC failed to consider the economic interests of millions of ordinary Nigerians who would be at the receiving end of the financial hard times. Moving the polls should not have been am option for a shaky economy like Nigeria. Definitely, the economy would need months to recover even after the elections have come, and gone.

http://nairametrics.com/so-really-how-do-the-postponement-of-the-elections-affect-the-economy/

4 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Abduletudaye(m): 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2015
This election should come and go abeg..

*modified*

The way I just dey buy land tho' cool

7 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by raumdeuter: 7:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
Jonathan doesnt care. If the economy likes it should crash,

Nothing must stop his own selfish desires to rule

But we the electorates say no.

Jonathan Otuoke straight

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by englishmart(m): 8:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
the election shouldn't hold till 2019. Then Jonathan will humbly step down for idi waziri and other young loyalists. Not some old man who thinks he forgot something in Aso rock, and is so desperate to retrieve it

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by KingTom(m): 8:01pm On Feb 24, 2015
Well I know the Anti Buhari warriors will be here soon to represent their drunken master!, despite Lalasticlala's glaring thread! So I have a present For them grin

How to be a PDP supporter
1. Create lies.

2. Attack and insult
violently when facts are presented.

3.Scream "Gej till 2019" if faced with
superior argument.

4. Lose your sense of rationality and
logic.

5. Insult GMB and anyone
that supports him

6. Lie that GEJ didn't steal $49 billion.
7. Disagree with any event or post
that portrays GMB in a goodlight and
agree with any event or post that
portrays GMB in a badlight.

8. Lie that GEJ doesn't have a $500m farm.
9 Celebrate boko haram attacks by
shouting "Buhari call your boys to order"
grin grin grin
(c) malikmoreni, 2015 grin
Sai Buhari!!!!!

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by midolian(m): 8:02pm On Feb 24, 2015
I dont think election was postponed. I FEEL THE LONG DEAD PARTY(PDP) ONLY POSTPONED ITS BURIAL

Investors shouldn't cry. They ll laugh again

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by englishmart(m): 8:03pm On Feb 24, 2015
raumdeuter:
Jonathan doesnt care. If the economy likes it should crash,

Nothing must stop his own selfish desires to rule

But we the electorates say no.

Jonathan Otuoke straight
it would be a good idea if you spoke for yourself alone. You are a single electorate, capable of dishing out just a single vote....

12 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Montaque(m): 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2015
One of the arguments in favour of 6years single tenure for elected officers in Nigeria.
The politics is too volatile.

1 Like

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2015
KingTom:
Well I know the Anti Buhari warriors will be here soon to represent their drunken master!, despite Lalasticlala's glaring thread! So I have a present For them grin

How to be a PDP supporter
1. Create lies.

2. Attack and insult
violently when facts are presented.

3.Scream "Gej till 2019" if faced with
superior argument.

4. Lose your sense of rationality and
logic.

5. Insult GMB and anyone
that supports him

6. Lie that GEJ didn't steal $49 billion.
7. Disagree with any event or post
that portrays GMB in a goodlight and
agree with any event or post that
portrays GMB in a badlight.

8. Lie that GEJ doesn't have a $500m farm.
9 Celebrate boko haram attacks by
shouting "Buhari call your boys to order"
grin grin grin
(c) malikmoreni, 2015 grin
Sai Buhari!!!!!

grin grin

Sai Buhari!
Otuoke 2015

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Eggcelent(m): 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
No doubt the postponement/rescheduling has its pros & cons. One of the cons being what has been highlighted above. Our democracy is growing & issues like this are aspects of the price to pay in achieving sound democratic culture. I only pray civil rule will not be aborted again for any reason.

3 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by midolian(m): 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
englishmart:
the election shouldn't hold till 2019. Then Jonathan will humbly step down for idi waziri and other young loyalists. Not some old man who thinks he forgot something in Aso rock, and is so desperate to retrieve it
must you comment? If you ve got nothing meaningful to say, u can always read other pple's comment to agree or disagree.

16 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by KingTom(m): 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2015
malikmoreni:

grin grin

Sai Buhari!
Otuoke 2015
Baba ooooo
***Prostates***
grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by lacasa: 8:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
Blame GEJ and the useless Pdp and not INEC

Jega was ready to go as planned

#GMB2015

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 24, 2015
[size=13pt]If PDP like make dem postpone am till December, I won't still vote for d Clueless.

Sai Baba!
[/size]

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by jorlons(m): 8:54pm On Feb 24, 2015
ok
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by simplemach(m): 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
Toh
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Marv650(m): 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by nkowaputa(m): 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
K
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by simplemach(m): 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2015
Walkopet:
[size=13pt]If PDP like make dem postpone am till December, I won't still vote for d Clueless.

Sai Baba!
[/size]
keep wallowing in ignorance.
Gej till everybody that thinks like dis starts thinking normally

7 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by itoldu: 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2015
What now? Fuel price planning to go up? Which one we never experience nor experrerred it?
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Godisnear(m): 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2015
Economy wey don crash finish
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Oildichotomy(m): 9:23pm On Feb 24, 2015
The Postponement has its good and bad sides, I saw the good part of it though

Anyways [size=15pt]GEJ till 2019 [/size]

Bad Belles can go drink Daura Cow milk grin

5 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by folabayo1(f): 9:24pm On Feb 24, 2015
Abeg make d election come and go jare enuf of dis suspense and anxieties undecided

1 Like

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 24, 2015
Jega Shld be blamed, less dan 70 percent ve pvc, wad happened to d odas, jega wanted to deny dem their rite. Jega has sold his conscience and pride! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by angelTI(f): 9:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
Meanwhile the clueless one and his cohorts are busy heaping coals of fire on their heads.

Anyway, change cometh soon....

Sai Buhari

10 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by akilo1: 9:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
where is this woman that say nigeria economics is booming?largest economy in africa?after dollas is going 300?iweala this your trick will not work after may 29.waiting for her to come and condemn those saying the election doesnt have effect on the economy.

3 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 24, 2015
The drunken fisherman doesn't care !

8 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Oildichotomy(m): 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
The drunken tooth fellow above me thinks GEJ is the reason why he is frustrated shocked

3 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Topeakintola: 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
englishmart:

This is a democracy not Jonathan's property. The decision is down to the Nigerian electorate and not sycophants like you

BTW, GENERAL BUHARI will be your next president come May 2015.

9 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Laid2001: 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
englishmart:
it would be a good idea if you spoke for yourself alone. You are a single electorate, capable of dishing out just a single vote....
He spoke for me and my family of 30 voters as well

9 Likes

Re: Elections Postponement And Its Economic Implications by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2015
I am not an economist neither am i studying it in the university but in my own little world figuring that the economy is bad isn't rocket science. Where is agbami scholarship? Where is total e & p? Why is it taking coys so long to recruit?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List of Chinese companies in Nigeria. / Jumia: 'africa's Amazon' In Landmark Stock Market Listing / 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.