Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,142 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:38 AM

Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians (21789 Views)

Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) / I Don't Know The Gods As Well As Nigerians But I Know Baba Sango / In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Habeebpain(m): 10:38am On Feb 25, 2015
1.Breaking Traffic Laws: You know you are breaking the law by driving in the opposite direction of traffic but you feel it will get you to your destination faster and you go ahead with your plan. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn’t and you end up causing a traffic jam and wasting the time of other road users.

It is annoying when as Nigerians we scream for change but we are not willing to start with ourselves. You see stupid drivers breaking traffic laws and still claim that they are right. It’s a pity there’s no true test of driving skills in Nigeria or else a lot of drivers would have had their licences seized.

2. Erecting Large Signposts at Junctions and Bends: I think there’s a shortage of sensible people at the agencies that grant permits for signposts because I see no reason why a signpost should be erected in such a way that it prevents drivers from seeing vehicles coming at a bend or junction. Sometimes you even have multiple signposts at a place with each one trying to overshadow the other. Don’t we learn anything from “Oyinbo” movies? Can’t you see that their signposts are usually tall and on a single pole when placed at a junction or bend?

3. Refusing to construct proper sewage system for your house: This one is very annoying. People will build houses and not make arrangement for drainage. All they do is make a small channel that takes all bodily fluids and “yamayama” water to the main road filling the whole neighbourhood with stench. Some people are even worse, they throw their wash water on the main road even though there’s a gutter in front of the house. And when you call their attention to the damage they are causing, they see you as an enemy. I think all CDAs should make it a law that landlords must make provision for proper sewage disposal. Whoever fails to do so should be fined and of he/she refuses, they should report to the appropriate authorities.

Apart from the fact that it is an unhygienic act that can lead to outbreak of diseases and infections, it also damages the roads. Some roads are always wet even though it hasn’t rained in months. We complain that the government doesn’t build good roads but when they do we fail to maintain them.

4. Throwing litter anywhere we deem fit: majority of Nigerians are bad at disposal. We throw away our trash anywhere we think is right: on the road, in the drainage, schools, even mosques and churches aren’t left out. This is a very bad attitude we need to stop.
I know the waste disposal system is very poor in Nigeria as most of the masses live in areas that are “inaccessible” to waste trucks. But we can still strive to keep our environment clean. It costs you nothing to put that sweet or biscuit wrapper in your pocket or in a corner of your bag till you get to a place where there is a bin. It might seem like a little thing to do but I believe when the little ones see you doing so they’ll emulate it.

5. Selling on the road/Pedestrians route: This one is terribly annoying. I will divide this into 2 groups. One, those who setup their wares/goods on the road leaving the pedestrian walkway behind them and those who extend their shops and block the road meant for pedestrians.
These two sets of people endanger their lives and that of pedestrians. Imagine you are trying to dodge a motorcycle that is headed your way and instead of climbing on to the pavement meant for pedestrians you bump right into the fish seller who has set up her stall on the pavement. Unfortunately for you, your head is placed directly in front of her as she brings down the cleaver to cut the fish….. I hope you get the picture.
The pedestrian route is meant for walking not for selling. If you know someone who does this, please correct them. I know they are trying to survive in this harsh economy but two wrongs don’t make a right.

These are the 5 annoying things Nigerians do. I actually have more but these 5 are top on the list.

79 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Sparrow13: 11:03am On Feb 25, 2015

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by jonadaft: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
My list includes:
Stop being a dumbfùck to shouting
GEJ till 2019...

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Samguine: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Thank you @op. Though I believe the list should be more than those listed above. Nigerians have such bad habits thick in their blood streams. We shout our government is corrupt, yet the government consists of people who were chosen from within us. We don't love nor care for one another, civil servants handle their jobs with levity, business people cut corners, contracts are inflated, market women cheat their customers, students cheat in their exams, teachers sleep with their students, even our religious leaders accept bribes. It's saddening.

Change can't start from the top. It starts with you and me. Let us decide that no matter the circumstances or situation we find ourselves, we would always do the right thing.

Thank you.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by yuzjet(m): 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ok.... DAT number 1 though!
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by ShakurM(m): 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Op don turn Martin Luther King oo grin
'I have a dream'

But seriously that no 3&4 pisses me off undecided

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by kramer: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Shouting SAI Buhari! or GEJ till 2019! even though these politicians don't care about them and are busy chopping your money.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by jonadaft: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Military Zone!
Keep off 📴!!!
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by hensben(m): 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
You are very right...

No6: they should stop supporting cluelessness.

4 Likes

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Supporting corrupt leaders....
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Vitaglyde: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
We need discipline in this country

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Hysmady(m): 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
Naija will always be naija...
Na today?

Only a disciplined government can stop these abnormalities!
Vote4change,Vote wisely

4 Likes

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by koolg: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
click like for Gej and share for GMB grin

19 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
COPIED!

WE'L STOP AFTER GMB MUST HAVE PRODUCED HIS ORIGINAL WASSCE

4 Likes

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by tola9ja: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
[size=21pt]as a Nigerian stop campaigning for failure for another 4 years[/size]

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by bookson(m): 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
owkay, i will kip dt n mind
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
Jonathan:
K
ShakurM:
Pause
kramer:
Nice
tola9ja:
llll
bookson:
owkay
fatdon2:
Buhari for president

And no 6 is stop booking space on nairaland!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by john403: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
If Nigerians can stop these things Nigeria will be better than the US.

5 things you must avoid to achieve success
SOURCE: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/life-style-news/item/3435-5-things-you-must-avoid-to-achieve-success

2 Likes

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by radiorebel(m): 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
If we stop doin such ...den what again

1 Like

undecided

3 Likes

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by miqos02(m): 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
ok
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
grin
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Oiselenjakhian(m): 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hello I am a web developer. My personal website is [url]trustondevcenary.com[/url] please visit my site and get in touch with me if you want a website.

In addition [url]afrogearclothing.com[/url] is a website that I designed for a client. Please visit it and subscribe by email to receive updates when we launch.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by fatdon2(m): 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
Buhari for president

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
Another thing we have to stop doing is Booking Space on Nairaland grin grin

Right after I sell this 5Plots shocked grin grin
okiwqued:
lkj

Ecchi master! How is the purveyance of things that yer mamma won't like going, eh?
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by condralbede(m): 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
kidnapping....
kikiki
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Chuksgeo: 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
Another space booked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Incredible MAN Of Africa / Olukere Of Ikere Ekiti Now Recognized As An Oba In Ekiti State / 'Lop-sided Appointments Responsible For Disunity In Nigeria' - Sultan Of Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.