Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,827 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! (868 Views)

Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Shares Money To Villagers (Photos) / Windstorm Kills 3 Villagers In Uhunowerre, Enugu; Community To Consult The Gods / Villagers Gather For 'Spiritual Cleansing' In Omambala River In Anambra. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! by lawrenzi(m): 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2016
Umunede Kingdom is a community located along Benin Asaba express road, it is about 15 kilometers from Agbor from the west and about 56 kilometers from Asaba on the east. The community is surrounded by other community which includes, Ekwuoma, Emuhu, igbodo, mbiri, Akumazi, Ute okpu, otolopo owerri and owa. The distinguishing factor between umunede and its neighbours is its Road network that leads to major towns and villages in Delta state.

It also serves as gateway to Major Eastern and Northern states, even middle belt too. Umunede is centrally and suitably located for business and commercial purpose for the people and its environs. Its importance to travelers also cannot be underestimated as many travelers make use of the relaxation spots to unwind, and eat good African food before proceeding on their journey. I even heard that if you want to charge your battery, plenty ashawo dey for the popular new road. Just Make the right call.

But there is something strange about a particular market in this community, the market is called the Morning Market, as the name implies, buyers and sellers only come to the market during the early hours of the day for daily activities, but when it is 12pm, activities in the market stops. I have often wondered why it is so. Why don’t they buy and sell beyond 12 pm? What happens if anybody decides to stay more than 12 pm? Since I could not find answers to these questions I decided to do small busy body to the market to find out for myself, the reason will amaze you!

According to Nkechi the first lady I had a chat with, she said that, it is forbidden to sell once it is 12pm, she said that anybody caught selling after 12 pm will be penalized by the obi. I quarried further if anybody has been punished before? I nor know. She replied. Unsatisfied with her answer, I made my way to one of the tomatoes seller, who seem to be older.

Nne refuted the statement earlier made by the younger lady, she took her time to explain why it is called the morning market, and why villagers don’t stay till dusk, according to her she said the market serves as the larger market that serves the smaller markets in other surrounding community, other villagers come here to buy meat, even people from issele ukwu and Asaba travel down to the morning market since things are a lot cheaper here.
She explains that the Abattoir supplies meat to other parts of the market, so people come to umunede morning market to buy meat for their respective communities. “This place na slaughter she said”

I further ask if it is forbidden to sell beyond 12 pm, why not! whoever wants to stay here can stay when everybody leaves. Traditionally the market operates in the morning, other buyers and sellers also supported her claim. Then where did Nkechi get her own version of the story from? Trust lawrenzi, I went back some minutes after 12 pm, look at what I saw! Empty market.

you can get more on http://www.lawrenzi.com
Re: In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! by Mskrisx(f): 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2016
Never heard of that before anyway very nice research @op
Re: In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! by lawrenzi(m): 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2016
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Igbos In Lagos Celebrate New Yam Festival / Our Lady Of Fatima Cultural Dance Troupe / The Traditional Ijaw Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.