Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,344 members, 7,957,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:58 AM

Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation (40255 Views)

Ameachi's Ministerial Confirmation: Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts / Picture Of Amaechi After Ministerial Confirmation / Ezekwesili Condemns Obanikoro's Ministerial Screening, Fayose Congratulates Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Charlotte15: 9:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
Jonathan:

When will you have sense?
Must is it be a pdp member?
Smh

As your name suggests, you are truly daft. First of all this is nigeria where they rarely give the opposition any ministerial positions. Why should today be any different. I don't know whose side your on but try not to take these things too personal. It's only politics and these guys don't give a rats ass about you or I.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Firefire(m): 9:55pm On Feb 25, 2015
Jonathan:

Ok

You are released!

Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 25, 2015
uncle005:
Good woman like you don't suppose to be in that party, come and join the team of change. You can never find solace in PDP.

In some states, I fit join una, but @ d national levels, it's GEJ till the APC can present a vibrant & younger leader. I no want old grandpa whey supposed bi elder statesman as president. OBJ don do.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Tmercy(m): 10:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
espn:
Bush meat don catch hunter. may he never get over dis.. No to criminals.. Gej start packing too.. d blood of those who died because of the way u took security of lives in Nigeria with levity will fight against u and d whole cabal who gained illegally under ur watch.
to those DAT v been brainwashed n v changed there minds towards Jonathan u will regret. Expect much from a clueless president stupid silly soft minded people
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by alowonle02(m): 10:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
TheOtherview:

Source
That's nice. Kudos to senators who let their opinion champion dat of Jonath and his handlers.
Obanikoro and his colleagues must soon face d wrath of d law and Jonathan won't be there to rescue them.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by marv1: 11:04pm On Feb 25, 2015
EdCure:

My points exactly.
Makes it easy to believe that Boko Haram is just another tool of PDPians to inflict terror on the people and justify their continuous looting of the nation's treasury.
. If not so why has GEJ waited till eleventh hour to defeat BH withing 6 wks. Hipocrisy and negligence of duty. If not for the strong opposition he would have continued as business as usual while BH is gaining ground and killing people. Nigerians becoming refugees in nigeria. Even at these camps all manner evil things happen because nobody knows who is who. I hope if GEJ wins his second term i hope he wont go back to slumber the way he has allowed BH to do much damage to lives and property. One thing i have discovered about GEJ is that he's not bothered about lossing their lives. He doesnt have feelings for people.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by shobroy10(m): 11:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
petrov10:
on what grounds na. Bunch of jokers
see talk as e dey smell hmmmmmmmm
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by rabimlomo: 5:15am On Feb 26, 2015
Obiagelli:
Why is the president not taking the heat for his
involvement/knowledge in the Ekiti tape scandal?
Obanikoro mentioned his name several times and said he
was on a mission for the president, what mission is that?
Why did the president send the minister of defence to Ekiti
for elections?
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Charly68: 6:46am On Feb 26, 2015
GEJ is dangerously in need of Koro to rig 2015 election..that is the bitter truth..why would he bent to submit his name for approval knowing fully well that people were a grieved against the man over his double citizen palava and election rigging brouhaha... These people should stop annoying the sensibility of decent Nigerians
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by toltee4real: 8:05am On Feb 26, 2015
"Him no fit"..........according to Asari. "This is no more PDP National Assembly, wrong posting...........as in TINUBU'S voice
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by badesco(m): 9:04am On Feb 26, 2015
Don't be surprise, Senator Obanikoro would be confirmed when money change hands. Is it not our own senate. It would only take time but he would. be confirmed.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by TheOtherview: 9:09am On Feb 26, 2015
freshdude99:

Wrong information again from pmnewsnigeria.
I watched it live. Senate postpone the entire screening exercise of all the nominees till next week. Why feed ignorant Nairalanders with wrong info

It is all a matter of perspective. wink

Opposition against Obanikoro forces Senate to adjourn ministerial screening

Feb 26, 2015

The Senate yesterday bowed to pressure and postponed the proposed ministerial screening scheduled for yesterday because of the mounting opposition against the candidacy of former Minister of State, Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro.

All the seven ministerial nominees scheduled to undergo screening and confirmation yesterday had arrived and were seated at the Senate before 10am awaiting commencement of the exercise when suddenly they were informed that the screening had been rescheduled for Wednesday next week.

Information about the postponement had filtered out, following the end of the usual brief meeting of the principal officers with the Senate President, David Mark, before commencement of the day’s sittings.

The nominees looked confused at the new twist because there was no previous or prior indication that the exercise was going to be put off.

Following the development, the nominees took time to exchange pleasantries with some of the senators, who had gathered at the entrance to the gallery and later disappeared with their well-wishers, who had accompanied them for the exercise.

Ironically, Obanikoro was all over the place, hugging, charting and felicitating the senators, particularly lawmakers from the South West, as they conversed in their native Yoruba language.

One of the senators, who later confided in National Mirror under condition of anonymity, disclosed that the Senate President had to cancel the screening to allow tempers to cool down. He disclosed that members of the All Progressives Congress, APC, had petitioned the Senate President, opposing the candidacy of Obanikoro.

The lawmaker, who refused to name some of those who signed the petition only disclosed that the leadership of the APC visited Mark in his Apo Mansion residence to personally hand over the petition on Monday night.

He said: “You know that the Senate President is a very mature and tactical person. You know that man is a great psychologist and good mood reader. He probably read the hand writing on the wall today and knew what would have happened if we went ahead with the screening and decided to call it off before the situation gets out of hand.

“Am sure he postponed the exercise to enable him intervene in his usual manner to see how he can bring all the parties to the table and reconcile them personally.

What he did was quite commendable.”

National Mirror further gathered that the recently released video tape, which went viral and allegedly implicated the former Nigerian Ambassador to Ghana of using the army to rig the Ekiti State governorship election did not help matters at all because the APC senators believe that Obanikoro would be returned to the defence ministry and with the elections just around the corner, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, would also use him to perpetrate rigging at the polls.

The seven ministerial nominees are replacement for the former ministers, who left the Federal Executive Council last October to take a dive at politics.

The nominees, who would have been screened yesterday apart from obanikoro were Senator Patricia Akwashiki from Nasarawa State, who is to replace Labaran Maku, Prof. Nicholas Akise Ada from Benue State, who is replacing Dr. Samuel Ortom, Col. Augustine Okwudiri Akobindu (rtd) from Abia State, who is replacing Emeka Wogu and Mr. Fidelis Nwankwo from Ebonyi State, who is replacing Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu.

Others are Mrs. Hauwa’u Lawan (Jigawa), Mr Kenneth Kobani (Rivers) and Senator Joel Danlami Ikenya (Taraba).

The re-nomination of Obanikoro as a minister was part of the agreement reached between Vice President Namdi Sambo and the Lagos State PDP chieftains aimed at getting Obanikoro to back down on his legal battle to oppose Jimi Agbaje as the gubernatorial candidate of the party for the April 11 elections.

Opposition against Obanikoro commenced immediately he was named a ministerial nominee, with a number of groups coming out to call for his removal.

APC senators from Lagos State also did not hide their own opposition to his nomination.

One group even petitioned the President alleging that Obanikoro has dual citizenship and therefore not qualified to be a minister, representing Lagos State.

Source
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Gbawe: 9:13am On Feb 26, 2015
marv1:
. If not so why has GEJ waited till eleventh hour to defeat BH withing 6 wks. Hipocrisy and negligence of duty. If not for the strong opposition he would have continued as business as usual while BH is gaining ground and killing people. Nigerians becoming refugees in nigeria. Even at these camps all manner evil things happen because nobody knows who is who. I hope if GEJ wins his second term i hope he wont go back to slumber the way he has allowed BH to do much damage to lives and property. One thing i have discovered about GEJ is that he's not bothered about lossing their lives. He doesnt have feelings for people.

This is my opinion too. I think the man is very callous and capable of great cruelty. He is entirely about self-preservation and whatever god he serves will judge GEJ for letting Nigerians die horribly for years only to now mount this politically-motivated pretence of tackling terror because of impending election loss.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by whytfaz(m): 9:18am On Feb 26, 2015
petrov10:
On what grounds na.

Bunch of jokers !!!

Some of you senseless comments makes me wonder if you really think with your brain tho
Re: Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 26, 2015
I came back to like your comment. It only in Nigeria under the present administration that this kind of thing happen. Its like GEJ cannot do without some certain people. I smell Blackmail.

Gbawe:
I hope this is not the usual initial 'gra gra' from our legislators only to then see Koro confirmed in the end after some palms have been 'greased'. Nigeria needs to show the world it is not a completely insane nation run by shameless lunatics. It would be tragic for Nigeria, and a severe blow to our image, if Obanikoro ie eventually confirmed a Minister after the Ekitigate electing rigging tape scandal.

Our legislator , over an issue that is now in the universal public domain like the Chibok kidnapping, need to show the world their autonomy, decency and uprightness by standing up to a rogue President who now appears disinterested in toeing the path of honour and administrative morality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Election Postponed: Remain Peaceful In Face Of Provocation, Atiku Tells Nigerian / Group Donates Campaign Vehicles To Obi's Presidential Campaign (Pictures) / What Is Wrong With This Photo Of Buhari And President Of Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.