Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Tiv Yam - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tiv Yam (3814 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / How To Make Yam Balls / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 3:48pm On Jan 09, 2009
Tiv Yam ummm so yummy. so delicious, so sweet, so white  grin.

this specie of yam is special!! not like any other yam planted on nigeria soil.
so good with egg, so good with garden egg, efo, stew etc

and poundo too oh la la. good with their whitish long egusi/melon soup with bush meat, ofe nsala grin

when fried, it's definitely out of this world grin. yeah fried Tiv yam, fried egg, and tea with lots of milkgreat combo grin

share your experience with Tiv yam.
Re: Tiv Yam by tpia: 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2009
Re: Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 7:59pm On Jan 09, 2009
tpia, have you tasted Tiv yam before? i don't know how and why but the yam is really sweet. nothing like it!!!

i had to pour sugar when cooking yam to make it taste like tiv yam. . . there used to be tiv yam market in the west. oh that yam na helele i no fit talk o.

the yams around here taste like chalk, so hard and could choke if you are not careful.

Tiv yam is really soft and sweet. i used to think they soak the yam in sugar before planting.
Re: Tiv Yam by tpia: 3:09am On Jan 11, 2009
Re: Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2009
Tpia, i think it is only the Tiv (Gboko) or those from Benue that have that specie?. i don't know if the yam could come out sweet if planted in other area. have you ever seen Tiv heap for planting yam? shocked shocked shocked the heap is soooooooooooooo huge grin. the Tivs in my school then don't do the huge heap thing on our agric farms. but if you go to their home state, that heap na wah. . . they don't play with the heap for planting yams.

yes some yams are sweet but the Tiv yam is special to be honest grin
Re: Tiv Yam by tpia: 10:51pm On Jan 11, 2009
Re: Tiv Yam by mohawkchic(f): 7:13pm On Jan 12, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Tiv Yam ummm so yummy. so delicious, so sweet, so white grin.

this specie of yam is special!! not like any other yam planted on nigeria soil.
so good with egg, so good with garden egg, efo, stew etc

and poundo too oh la la. good with their whitish long egusi/melon soup with bush meat, ofe nsala grin

when fried, it's definitely out of this world grin. yeah fried Tiv yam, fried egg, and tea with lots of milkgreat combo grin

share your experience with Tiv yam.

~First i've read about Tiv Yam!! - Infact i had to google it grin i thought all yams were pretty much the same!!

~I have eaten regular Yam w/ Stew but yet to try Tiv Yam,if its as sweet as you say it is,then its defo worth trying!!

~How do you tell the difference between a regular yam & Tiv Yam tho? undecided I'll prolly ask this Niaja Lady who sells African food stuff . .
Re: Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 8:45pm On Jan 12, 2009
let me give you a short ans. it is naturally very very sweet and crystal/snowy white grin

it is farm in that area. pple might have tried to plant the seed yam in other area though.

i think it is the specie or soil i don't know.

brb wink
Re: Tiv Yam by mohawkchic(f): 5:26am On Jan 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

let me give you a short ans. it is naturally very very sweet and crystal/snowy white grin
it is farm in that area. people might have tried to plant the seed yam in other area though.

i think it is the specie or soil i don't know.

brb wink

~I get that!! cheesy
Re: Tiv Yam by ifyalways(f): 11:05am On Jan 14, 2009
. . . .and i was thinking gwari yam is the best?
Omoge u so like food sef cheesy
Re: Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 2:22am On Jan 16, 2009
lol Ify hehehe, see you self dey post here mean say you love food too.

who no like food, abeg try Tiv yam (porridge, beans and yam, poundo, roasted, fried, boiled with eggs and veggie, even eaten raw sef) no try am o grin
Re: Tiv Yam by SHENANIGAN(m): 2:26am On Jan 16, 2009
*Hauwa*:

lol Ify hehehe, see you self dey post here mean say you love food too.

who no like food, abeg try Tiv yam (porridge, beans and yam, poundo, roasted, fried, boiled with eggs and veggie, even eaten raw sef) no try am o grin

You this *Hauwa* sef how many times will I warn you about food, keep eating till you like 300pounds then you go see if you fit find husband.
Re: Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 2:37am On Jan 16, 2009
phew you just made my evening grin i will be right back am going to throw up all the food i ate today. . . rushing to the bathroom
Re: Tiv Yam by SHENANIGAN(m): 2:47am On Jan 16, 2009
*Hauwa*:

phew you just made my evening grin i will be right back am going to throw up all the food i ate today. . . rushing to the bathroom

Don't go and be anorexic on me now abeg. Skin and bones don't look cute on African woman. sad
Re: Tiv Yam by shillla: 3:04am On Jan 16, 2009
coolhi tell her as for the yam is really unconpitable in the world igrow up in logo local government i cook paound frie the thing no be small thing oooo
Re: Tiv Yam by Hauwa1: 12:56am On Jan 17, 2009
shilla,
tell them bo. na so the yam sweet reach eh. see as the yam make you speak in yam language how yamable my sis/bro.

no be small thing true true. abeg eat on your Tiv yam and speak in tongue. it is in the power of the yam
Re: Tiv Yam by TOYOSI20(f): 7:29am On Jan 17, 2009
Haha, now i see Tiv yams are usually the real white ones right??

Well i never really liked the yellow ones by the way! shocked shocked shocked

I usually boil it wid a lot of sugar and just barely a pinch of salt tongue

It goes real well with Ayamashe sauce, or garden egg stew, kiss kiss kiss
Re: Tiv Yam by janedoe(f): 1:33am On Jan 18, 2009
I never knew there was a 'tiv breed' of yam grin ,thought all were thesame,well all the yam I ate came from benue,my village to be precise and I can testify,some of them yams actually tasted like they were dipped in honey.

(1) (Reply)

Egusi With Achi Soup / Looking For Fresh Cow Milk For Consumption Or Processing? / Domino's Pizza Officially Launched In Port Harcourt (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.