Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,120 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Quitting Your Job For Self-employment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Quitting Your Job For Self-employment (781 Views)

5 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Accepting A Job Offer / 10 Questions Serious Job Seekers Must Ask Themselves Before Every Application / Self Employment: The Real Stomach Infrastructure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Quitting Your Job For Self-employment by bizngr(f): 11:48am On Feb 26, 2015
The dream of being one's own boss is what leads many people to start businesses, but leaving your bread-and-butter job to fulfil that vision is a move that shouldn't be made hastily.

Here are ten questions you should ask yourself before taking that bold step.

1. Is this going to make me happier?

Before leaving your job for uncharted territory, make sure this is really what you want – not just what you think you want or a way to escape your current job. Too many people suffer silently in their job, but before you go out to be your own boss, you have to believe you're going to be happier. If you are not sure enough that quitting your current job will make you happier, don't do it.

2. Is the timing right?

If your wife is pregnant or you've just taken over the care of an elderly parent, it may not be the right time to leave the security of an established job to pursue the dream. Instead, be honest about your current situation; be realistic about your bills and your commitments; and then make an informed decision. I bet you don’t want to quit few days to when your house rent is due; your Nigerian landlord won’t take any excuse.

3. How will I cover my expenses?

The biggest detriment to starting a business is being under-capitalised. You should have a rainy day fund or savings built up to cover you and the business for a certain period of time, the length of which will be determined by the nature of the business and how quickly you'll be able to pay yourself a salary. Make sure you have the money to pay both your personal and business expenses for that period before venturing out on your own.

4. Do I have the support of family and close friends?

The talents and shortcomings we have the hardest time recognizing are often our own. So before venturing away from a secure situation try asking the people you trust the most how well-suited they think you are to the opportunity. Talking to family and close friends will help you realize if you’re going after something that you really want to do, or just escaping your current situation. Don’t just talk to the dreamers in the group that will tell you to go for it. Talk to the people that will be honest with you and encourage you if you’re on the right path.

5. How much am I willing to change my lifestyle?

Some people are very good at structure. Getting up, going to work for a set number of hours, performing set tasks, and interacting with co-workers works really well for them. Yet starting your own business can be anything but structured and can mean long, hard hours – very often spent alone. There's also a lot of self-motivation involved. You have to be structured, innovative, creative and proactive. The solo nature of it is not for everyone. Continue reading here >>> Source
Re: 10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Quitting Your Job For Self-employment by SafetyFirst(m): 11:56am On Feb 26, 2015
Re: 10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Quitting Your Job For Self-employment by vintino(m): 2:43am On Feb 27, 2015
cool

(1) (Reply)

INEC Ad-hoc Staff Trainee Payment In Ondo State / Teaching Job / Apply Online For Current Jumia Nigeria Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.