Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

The Return (love Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Return (love Story) (2578 Views)

To Hate And Love(story That Touches The Heart) By Adaobi Marianne / Tarasha 2 - The Return For Revenge / The Return of Madly In Love With A Non-human(SECOND CHANCE)SEASON 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 3:34pm On Feb 26, 2015
This is my first story...... It is intriguing and full of romance, heart-breaks and suspence. Critism is welcomed, but please make it constructive. I will try to update it everyday. So here we go!!! I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter One.
Mayo Olatunji was surprised to discover that he hated Molete, Ibadan with a passion. He'd been unaware, after fifteen years of feeling dead inside, that such strong feelings could still pulse within him.
But when he drove past the large rectangular sign proclaiming Molete, the home of the one and only Adedibu, Mayo's heart-incurred to most everything bumped in his chest. He began to sweet, despite the early - November chill that penetrated his light-blue shirt and navy polo sweater. Even his knee ached from his old football injury and the recent physical stress from swimming.
About twenty yards beyond the sign, he slowed his rented dark green Volvo at a small, unassuming bungalow. The Ile-Yarapalour. The place he had spent the happiest days of his life after his mother died, being cared for by his aunts because his father was a very busy man. Images, imprisoned in his unconscious , rattled the bars. "Abike come look at Mayowa's spelling test. He got another A.... 
"All smoke and mirrors " Mayo whispered hoarsely into the dim morning light. "Damm it" Hand curled into a fist, he pounded the steering wheel, shooting sharp pain up his arm. That's it, think of the pain. 
He pressed the accelerator. In about five miles the town proper came into view- an image straight out of the classic Yoruba movie Saworo-Ide it's houses of rusted corrugated roofs and two story buildings, providing a stately prelude to the business district. Once he had loved the roadways with sparse traffic and just a few pedestrians strolling at a lazy pace. He had his first bicycle down these sidewalks. Now when he left his co-op in Lagos city, he ran into scores of people. Once he had loved the slope of the road from Asas hotel where the sex peddlers operate down to the Oke - Ado junction.
Studiously Mayo avoided St Luke's high school where he had realized so many of his dreams. He also avoided the Oladokun House a mansion built behind the famous Ibadan Grammar School, though he had to pass by the bookstore. Sparing it only a quick glimpse , he nonetheless recalled the many wonderful hours he spent in the red clapboard building with its three-peaked roof and familiar sign. Spelling out in elaborate calligraphy, Oladokun Books.
He turned off Molete road , headed down Main Street.

TBC.....
Re: The Return (love Story) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
*Riding kekenapep catch break and view the story* wao Front seat abeg

1 Like

Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2015
Andrew114:
*Riding kekenapep catch break and view the story* wao Front seat abeg
Welcome. #here is popcorn
Re: The Return (love Story) by Nobody: 4:23pm On Feb 26, 2015
amdo007:

Welcome. #here is popcorn
*with mouth full*thank You jarray
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 9:12am On Feb 27, 2015
*continued*
#This update is dedicated to Andrew114. For being the first to comment on the story.

As the volvo sped along he could not but remember the memories of him and his father. Chief. Olatunji Oladokun was a town trustee and president of Oladokun Micro-finance bank, Chief as he was popularly called waxed eloquently on national issues being a politician of the first age. His six-foot military carriage, his wide shoulders, his full dark hair showing only hints of gray-to this day Mayo remembered him, right down to the unusual dark brown eyes- Chief always delivered speeches worthy of the late sage himself Chief. Obafemi Awolowo. Mayo had watched his father year after year with the innocent pride of a naive schoolboy who had believed the man was a good, honest citizen.
Not lying bastard he'd later shown himself to be .
Damn, Mayo wasn't going to do this. With ruthless self-discipline his best quality he pulled into the small parking area a block from the local magistrate courthouse in front of the law offices of Kayode and sons advocate and blanked out the memories. Shutting off the engine, he stared at the storefront. Housed in an old cement and glass building that had recently had a facelift, the office was on the first floor. A row of windows dominated the first floor, once the building had housed Komolafe and brothers advocate, however knowing that fact that Chief Komolafe didn't pass through a University talk less of attending a law school only made people laugh at the sign. Mayo used to tease Shade Komolafe about it when they parked by the eatery in his Camry. That was when he believed in women too.
Banishing the ghosts, he threw open the door and exited the car. Hell, the town even smelled the same during harmattan. The mixture of dry earth and leaves giving him goose bumps. 
Determined, Mayo strode up to the front door, which opened as he reached it. A tall brown-eyed, dark man dressed in casual black slacks and a light-blue shirt filled the doorway. In secondary school, his shoulders hadn't been so broad or his chest so muscled. The faint sprinkling of dark hair along his forearm were not there before too. "Mayowa, good to see you"
Mayo pushed out his chest the way he did when he wanted to address his clients, " Kayode Adewale. I couldn't believe it when I got your mail" 
" Believe it. I'm back " Kayode held out his hand.
Mayo shook it. " you said you would never again set foot in this- what did you call it? -narrow -minded hick tow"
A flash of regret and remembered pain went through Kayode's face. He had moved into Molete when he was still in Junior secondary school. Kayode has seen it all, been with the famous Molete girls, gone on numerous adventures to Bere, Ooja-Oba and even played football with mayo at the famous Action Football academy in Molete. He replied " Yeah, and you planned to move abroad play professional and move back to town and marry and give birth to kids that will complete a football team" he teased back.
Noting that Kayode did not divulge why he had returned, Mayo didn't acknowledge his change in plans, either. He didn't really care why Kayode Adewale had come back to Molete; he was only concerned with his own return to town.
" Thanks  for accepting to meet me so early I planned on reaching here yesterday afternoon, but my negotiations in Abeokuta ran over"
" No problem. Come inside"
Mayo followed Kayode into a waiting area. A flower vase sat at a corner, and a set of windows faced the street. A rug carpet covered the floor and grass-clothe wallpaper lined the walls. Kayode led him into a spacious office that was perfectly appointed with a massive mahogany desk, matching floor-to- ceiling bookcases with requisite impressive law books. 
Settling in a black sofa, Mayo watched as Kayode took a seat behind the desk. " How shall we start Mayowa?"
" Let's start with my name. I've legally changed it to Mayo Olateru"
Only a slight arch of a brow indicated that the lawyer was surprised. " Fine I will make a note in the inheritance papers"  
Kayode eased back in his chair. "Quiet frankly I was surprised to hear from you after last July's mail" From a folder he fished out a copy of the mail Mayo had dished off when Kayode finally tracked him down to notify him of his father's death and that he had been bequeathed a considerable inheritance. Mayo's response read only " I decline all claim to any money or property associated with the Oladokun family"
Straightening his shoulders like the good little soldier he had been brought up to be, Mayo made his voice intentionally low- and cold. " My circumstance have changed.

TBC...
Your comments are well appreciated.
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 10:23am On Feb 28, 2015
*Continued*
That was an understatement. His circumstance had nosedived after he had rejected on principle a seven figure bequest. Instead of having enough cash to buy into a software company, ComputerConcepts, and become a partner, as he had planned, he came up short. He ended up needing something from Chief. Oladokun after all.
"So you said when you called" replied Kayode.
"Is there a problem that? Legally I mean?"
" No. As I indicated in my response." Kayode held up a letter "-not fulfilling the terms of the bequest is the only way to nullify the inheritance."
"And those terms are that I come back to Molete for eight weeks to live before the end of the year. And that I work at Oladokun book for half of that" Though out-wardly calm, inwardly he was fuming ; even from the grave,his old man was controlling him. But he has little choice as Bose had put it.
" I had no idea Computercencepts was so strapped for cash. Originally Daddy said your investment of 1m would do it. Now we need three times that. But you will be half owner, darling, if you bought in with that much money, and combined with my voting stock, we'll control the company"
" Would you like to hear the rest of the terms?" Kayode asked?
Unnerved, Mayo stiffened. " The rest of them? Are you telling me I have to do something else?"
Brows knitted, Kayode shook his head. "No. Actually, it deals with what happens if you don't fulfill the terms."
" I don't particularly care about that"
" You might. If you leave Molete before the stipulated time, or if you fail to work at the bookstore for half of that, the Oladokun assets revert to someone else."
"Auty Arike and Asake I presume". Though he fought it saying their names for the first time in fifteen years made his inside ache. He experienced again the yawn-ing, and the cavernous sadness of what he left behind.
" No, not your aunts"
" Then who?"
" A woman. Aina Oladuni"
Mayo gripped the arms of the chair. " A love interest of my father's?" He asked nastily. " After him to get the store?"
Despite his professional demeanor, Kayode chuckled . " I doubt that. Though chief did spend a lot of time at the bookstore the last five years of his life"
" Then why doubt it"
" For one thing, she is younger than you "
"So?" he wouldn't put it past chief.
"Second, everybody in town , including Aina which is her name believes the bookstore belongs to our aunts. Chief told me Aina knew nothing about his finances or the inheritance terms" Kayode smiled fondly. " Besides, she is a single mother with five year old twin girls and total responsibility for the bookstore. She wouldn't have time to be involved with your father"
Every woman has time for a sugar daddy"

TBC...
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 7:08pm On Mar 02, 2015
*continued*
" Aina has a stellar reputation in town as a hard worker. She goes to church , is a great mother. And she looks like your next door no harm lady. She is more the girl's scout type than a femme fatale'.
Though he wondered why the lawyer felt the need to defend this woman- a love interest of his own, perhaps?- Mayo held up his hand, where a Rolex peeked out from his cuff. " Spare me. I know for a fact appearances can be deceiving"
Shrugging, Kayode said, " Fine. For the record, I think Chief wanted her to have the store because she's been running it for Aunty Arike and Asakefor so long. He included the Family house in the deal, too- again only if you fail to meet the terms- probably because Aina and her children moved out there when your aunts bought the house next to the bookstore so they could live in town. I think Aina rents the family house from them...well, technically from Chief".
" The family house is included in this little game? I though Chief signed it over to Auty Abike and Asake".
" Not legally, just like the bookstore, it's always been in your father's name, though he settled into the bungalow besides People's Girls after he married your mother. You spent most of your time at the Family house, didn't you?"
Mayo just stared at him
Kayode shifted in his chair. " Why did you call this a game?"
"Because that is what it is, making me do penance by returning to Molete"
" There is an apartment over the bookstore you could stay in. It has been rented on and off, but it's empty now. I lived there myself when I first came back"
"Maybe"
"What will you do with the property after the first of the year?"
" I haven't thought of that yet, if I do I will let you know" he lied. " If you're interested, I would love it if you represent me" 
" I will be glad to" they shook hands over it. 
"Fine" Mayo said " Meanwhile, I will appreciate your not informing anyone that am back yet. I want to tell my aunties myself. But first I am going to check out this Aina. See what's really going on". 

TBC.....
I need to know if I have an audience.
Re: The Return (love Story) by harjay0623(f): 7:15am On Mar 03, 2015
am here oo
Re: The Return (love Story) by harjay0623(f): 7:18am On Mar 03, 2015
am here oo...
Re: The Return (love Story) by betybuk(f): 8:22am On Mar 03, 2015
Following
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 9:27am On Mar 03, 2015
This update is dedicated to harjay0623 and betybuk.

*Continued*

Arike Oladokun sat bolt upright in her old brass bed and slapped her hand over wildly beating her chest. Disoriented, she scanned her surroundings and took in the faded pink-flower wallpaper, the rechargeable lamp and the wooden dressers. The clock on the night stand said 7:30am. She had slept in. It was Sunday and she needed to be in church in an hour.
There was a soft knock on the door. " Arike Ade are you awake?"
" Come in, Asake."
Her twin opened the door. Still in her long purple bathrobe, fuzzy slippers and the net she wore to bed to keep her hair in one place, Asake bustled in like a cheerful maid carrying tea. " I brought you some - What's wrong ? Arike smiled. Twin intuition was on red alert. " I overslept dear"
Regarding her with wary eyes Asake asked, did you have another dream?
Weary, Arike sank into the pillows and noded.
Setting the tea on the table , Asake crossed to the bed and perched on the edge. She gave Arike her glasses, then grasped her hand. Arike took comfort in the contact. Asake said, "Your're very cold, and it's warm in here". 
Arike just stared at her sister.
" you dreamed about him again, didn't you?"
"Yes" 
" It's because Chief is gone, dear"
Valiantly Arike battled the back the tears for the brother she will never get used to losing. " I know, but this one as real, Mayowa was back in town in the dream"
Asake's dark eyes flared angrily, " it's because you expected him for the burial, and in the months since, you kept thinking he will walk through the door"
" I can't believe he didn't come"
" I can, something terrible happened between Mayowa and Chief all those years ago. We'll never see him again" she puffed out her chest. " You have to accept that"
" I won't. We will see Mayowa , and soon . I know it"
" Yes, well, maybe he will come to our funerals"
Arike straighten her shoulders. " That remark is un-Christian and beneath you". Though her twin sister has some powers over her, yet Arike knows when to make her stand against her sister. " I know he will be back, just like I knew it when he and Shade were stranded at Kudeti. I also knew it when he had that big fight with Chief."
"Okay, I wo lo mo...." " I just hate to see you get your hopes up and then get disappointed.

TBC...

1 Like

Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 7:39pm On Mar 03, 2015
I had to post double today because I will be caught up tomorrow. I hope you guys enjoy the update. Apologies in advance.

*Continued*
Her shoulders aching, Aina raised the ax over her head and brought it down hard into the wood. The log split neatly in the center, drawing a satisfied grin from her. She was getting as good as Mallam Sanni at this. A slight breeze teased a lock of her shoulder-length hair from it ponytail and cooled her sweaty brow. Tucking back the wayward strands, she made a second chop, then a third until the big log was in several pieces. Bending over, she tossed each one into the wheelbarrow. That filled it, so she hid the ax behind the pile Olamide Akanni, a friend in town who was like a brother to her, had delivered just yesterday. " I got a cord of uncut wood, Aina. You can have half dirt cheap. I'll even deliver it." Though she never accepted charity, she was world-class bargain hunter and never passed up an opportunity to save money. Just to be safe, she'd drop at Olamide's hardware store tomorrow with some of those brownies he loved. Mentally she added, Bake brownies to her Kitchen to-do list.
As Aina grasped the handles of the wheelbarrow, wincing at the blister that had formed beneath her worn gloves, Taiwo yelled, "My turn to ride." Kate groaned inwardly, wondering how she'd gotten into this game. Her five year old daughter raced toward her, her dark hair flopping wildly in the wind that had just picked up, her jacket open, her denim overalls already dirty. Kehinde on her own, dressed in pretty pink sweats that could be featured in Omo detergent commercial for the "after" shot, was rooted to the spot, two fingers stuck in her mouth.
Aina released the wheelbarrow and neatly intercepted Taiwo as she drew near it. Encircling her waist firmly with her hands, she chided, "Hold on. Baby" Kneeling to be face-to-face, she started straight into slate-dark eyes exactly like her ex-husband Wande's. " Is it really your turn, Taiwo?"
The devil danced in and out of her wild child's expression as she nodded. Aina continued to give her the stern mother look that women miraculously inherited from the delivery room. Finally, Taiwo shook her head.
" it's not nice to lie, Taiwo, or to hurt Kehinde by cheating her out of her turn. " Mom has told you many times not to lie or cheat" she said .
" I don't want to hurt Kehinde she whispered "
"I'm sorry mum"

TBC....
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 2:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
* Continued*

Taiwo scooted away and Kehinde skipped to the wheelbarrow. She stopped , gave Aina a hug of thanks, though not a peep of complaint escaped her lips, and climbed into the pile. Aina' s back ached at the added weight, but she pushed the wood to the enclosed part, at the back of the house, which was made to hold things like coal cooker, fire wood and logs of timber, and also served as a shed to store the freshly cut wood. She whistled quietly to herself as she pushed the load and her daughter.
After the girls helped her stack the woods in the shed, they returned to their kite which they had been playing with, all morning. Aina cautioned them " Zip up your jackets ladies, it's getting cold" Aina checked her watch, she could spend another half hour before she showered and dressed for church. Facing the twins who were trying unsuccessfully to get the kites in the air, she amended her timetable to fifteen minutes for the wood and fifteen minutes for flying kites. It was unusually windy for this early in the morning, so she'd take advantage of it.
She groaned at her choices. She had created a happy family: two girls, two grandma- types, a grandpa, a mom and dad, and a dog. She thought about adding a baby boy, but Aina didn't want to tempt fates. She will be happy with just a little more than what she has now.
A squeal from Taiwo made Aina's head jerk up: the ax missed its mark, the wind gusted and a spray of sawdust hit her face. Some of it lodged in her eye and stung mercilessly. She yelped, which drew the attention of the girls. Abandoning the kites, they raced towards her.
" Mommy, are you okay? Taiwo asked
Kehinde stared, wide-eyed and stuck her fingers in her mouth again.
" I got something in my eye. Head into the house"
Taiwo said " But I want...."
Gently Aina interrupted. " Taiwo, mommy is hurt. Get into the house now"
Inside she secured the hook on the door- placed as high as her arms could reach and turned to the twins. " sit down on the bench next to the stool I will be right back "
" What about our kites?" Taiwo whined. 
" They will be fine for a few minutes until I return, you can watch it from the window".
Kehinde sat on the bench, Taiwo was still fidgeting. Aina's patience frayed. " Taiwo, show some consideration." the girl nodded and repeated her sister's action.
Aina rushed to the kitchen sink to wash her eye. It felt like sand was in her eye. While washing her eyes, her mind went to her kids and she bemoaned whether she hasn't made mistakes in bringing them up. If she hasn't spoilt them a little , because it had taken long years to conceive them. Then, after her Ex- husband had left her And the girls were born, they had become the center of the universe.
As she finished up at the sink, she made a mental note of improving on her parental skills .

Instead of pulling into the driveway he didn't want to alert Aina to his arrival Mayo swung his car to the opposite side of Molusi road and parked on the street. He waited as a few cars whizzed by, carelessly fast even for this part of the town, then he opened the door, wincing as he knocked his knee sliding out. Thank God he had brought his brace. He will Need to wear it if his knee got any worse. Ironically, it was a reminder of the of the good old days that had started in Molete. He stood for a minute by the Volvo, staring at the Family house. It had not worn well. The white or now brown walls needed re-painting, though the roof looked new. The front porch appeared rickety. Concrete steps leading to the road had been added, as well as a path to the backyard.
He was about to push away from the car when he saw a kite float up and out from the side of the house, then every thing happened at once.
First, one dark headed child popped out of nowhere and ran toward the road. Another of the same height and build followed. 
The kite sailed higher.
Mayo straightened and cupped his hands to warn the kids about running into the road.
A pickup truck came over the slight rise and barreled down the road at about forty miles an hour, windows open, some heavy fuji music blaring out.
As if guided by an invisible hand, the kite sailed over the road and the kids darted after it
Mayo lunged towards them. Seeing him- at six foot-two he was visible over the raised hood of the car, though the children were not-the teenager in the truck hit the horn and braked. Mayo scooped up a girl in each arm and swept them across the pavement, right into the concrete steps. Unable to stop the momentum, he lifted his leg to take the impact.
A roar erupted from his chest as his injured knee connected with the solid stone of the step. Pain splintered his leg, but he angled his body and held on tight to cushion the kids' fall as he crashed to the ground.

Your comments and critism are needed before we move to the next chapter.
End of Chapter.
TBC....
Re: The Return (love Story) by flowerybabe(f): 5:42pm On Mar 05, 2015
Wow am gonna luv dis story,more ink to ur pen.

1 Like

Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
flowerybabe:
Wow am gonna luv dis story,more ink to ur pen.
Thanks. I hope to satisfy your taste.
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 6:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
Chapter Two

With every ounce of strength she had, Aina willed back the stark panic that bubbled inside her. Summoning a false bravado, she straightened the covers on the old mahogany bed and plumped the pillow behind the man who had saved the lives of her children. Nightmarish images tried to surface in her mind, but she fought them back. There'd be time enough later to deal with the demons. Right now, she was grateful for the angel that was sent to her and her twins.
" Are you comfortable?" that's stupid, Aina she thought to herself. His face shows pain.
He watched her through thick lashes, his dark brown eyes, undilutedlooking somehow familiar, " Not exactly " he replied.
" Now that we have you in the house I will call the doctor"
" I don't need a doctor"
" I can understand why you wouldn't want an ambulance to take you to an hospital, but a doctor will be glad to pay a visit out here. It's a small town. People do those kinds of things here" She nodded to his knee, which they had propped higher than his heart and immediately iced after she and Lamidi- the kid driving the truck- had practically carried the man into her house.
" As I told you, it's an old injury" His voice was hoarse, probably from the pain. He raked back his hair and shrugged mile-wide shoulders. He was a big man with the build of an Athlete. " I know how to take care of it" Angling his head to the door, he asked, " Are the boy and your neighbor gone?"
" Yes. And the police officer called Lamidi's parents about the accident. They will talk to him about driving safely." She smiled weakly. " Now I can just take care of you"
The man stiffened. " You don't have to take care of me"
" Ofcourse I have to" Again the emotion in her voice tried to get out. " You saved my daughters' lives." She clenched her hands behind her until they hurt so she wouldn't cry. " And I don't know even your name"
" Mayo Olateru
" I'm Aina Oladuni. The twins are Taiwo and Kehinde as you would already know" she smiled wearily.
He stared at her
" I suppose you were wondering how this happened" she said.
" How did it?"
" I was chopping wood before church, and the girls were playing with the kites we made last night. Some dust flew into my eyes. I came in to wash it out" 
" You left five-year olds alone outside when you live on such a lousy road?"
She knew she deserved the consume in his voice, though his reasoning was wrong. " No. I brought the girls in with me. I sat them down in the back bench and I told them to stay put. I locked the hook at the top of the door, way above their heads. Apparently, Taiwo dragged over a stool, stood on it and managed to unlock it." Aina shook her head horrified at what had almost happened. " I never imagined she will disobey me so blatantly." Tears misted her eyes, but she didn't let them fall. " Thank God you were there." 
" God had nothing to do with it" He seemed to say the words by rote, as if to himself, not to her
In any case, it was an odd remark. But she was too shaken to discuss theology with him. If she could just keep it together for a few more minutes..." 
" I saw it happen from from inside the house."
His quick intake of breath told her he understood, on some level at least, the significance of witnessing the two most important people in your life almost lose theirs. It was the only emotion he had shown in the past hour.
" it was like watching a horror movie I saw Taiwo then Kehinde . Then the truck came over the bend."
" Iya Ibeji, you don't...."
She shook her head. " You ran right in front of that drunk driver" her voice caught, but he said nothing. " If Lamidi hadn't been able to stop, you would have been killed. Why did you do it?" she asked him?

TBC...
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 11:25pm On Mar 08, 2015
I got busy over the weekend. I shall post an update tomorrow.
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 2:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
Hi friends, sorry I haven't been able to update this story. But no body even missed me wink or did you? grin
This is an update......comments make the story flow.
Continued.......

At first it seemed as if he might not answer. Then he said reluctantly, "I knew the driver couldn't see the girls. He could see me, though"
Sitting on the edge of the bed she took his hand. Sprinkled with dark hair, it dwarfed hers. She squeezed it gently. " You risked your life for my children. I ....don't know how.....I can't thank ..."
Oh no the tears were coming. She had held them at bay during the crisis, helped Mayo into the house , put the girls into separate rooms, called the police and death with the careless teenager. But now, in front of this stranger, she was going to lose it. She tried to quell it.
When she had seen the girls run into the street Aina thought her life was over. She had been through a lot , catching her husband in bed with another woman, having the twins come two months early and dealing with their births alone, and the anxiety about being their sole provider. But she rarely let herself cry.but this was too much for her to handles as the tears came rolling down like waves of ocean down her chicks.
Mayo gripped the hand that held his, and said " Shhh. It's over now. It's alright"
Tears became sobs. Tugging her hand away, she braced her elbows on her knees, buried her face in her hands and wept.
After a moment, Aina felt something in her hair, His hand. It rested lightly on her crown, then stroked downward tentatively. His touch was comforting and she leaned into it. Accepting solace from anybody was rare for her, and to take it from this stranger was crazy, but she couldn't help herself.
He continued the motion and the soothing words until she quieted, removed her hands from her face and straightened . He let his arm drop to the mattress.
Dabbing her face with a tissue she said " I'm sorry. I can't remember the last time...it's just that ..." she shrugged helplessly. 
I understand 
" No, really, I'm not a weeping willow. I'm ..." she stood up abruptly. " look, I am not the important one . You are. You're obviously in pain. Please let me call a doctor, or at least the neighborhood nurse , Bimpe, to come out and look at you.
His eyes flared at the mention of Bimpe's name. She could have sworn it was with a spark of recognition."No." more quietly he said, " This is a chronic injury. I first got it when I was in Secondary School. It will swell and be sore for a few weeks . All I need is ice, some pain pills and rest.
" Do you carry the medicine with you?"
" Yes, along with my brace. My knee has been bothering me since I ......" she stopped as if he had said too much. " In any case , the pills are in my car-in my shaving kit."
" I'll get it for you"
He tried to get up. "No.." then he fell back into the pillows. " I guess I am fairly immobilized " under his breath he said " Damn."

TBC...
Re: The Return (love Story) by amdo007(m): 3:58pm On Apr 19, 2015
*** Continued ****

'I'm sorry" she gazed down on him. " could this keep you laid up for a while?"
"Yes"
" Will your family need to be contacted to come and get you?"
" I have no family," he said tightly
" Friends, then?
He shook his head 
" Are you from around here?
" I used to be "
" Oh. Of course , you're welcome to stay with us as long as you like" she glanced at his knee. " Until you're better or someone can come for you"
" No, I-" He cut off his response.
" Let me go get the medicine . We can talk about this when you aren't in so much pain"
Bending over, she adjusted the ice on his knee, smiled weakly at him and held out her hand. " The keys?
He tossed them to her. "The small traveling case has my shaving kit. So bring that in" then he added, " Please"
"Be right back"
She sensed his eyes on her as she left , as if he was analyzing her . The feeling was odd, and she wondered if she was missing something.

*You are welcome to stay with us long as you like.. Until you're better or someone can come for you.
Mayo linked his hand behind his head and, despite the throbbing in his knee , smiled. What a setup . She'd just invited him into her home.
It was perfect. He needed to work  in the bookstore only four weeks to get the inheritance. This sprawling one stores family house was within the city limits, fulfilling the residency requirement . He could stay out here anonymously, for a week or so, play the injured hero , and discover everything he needed to know about Aina. Had she used his aunts to get control of the store and keep a roof over her head? Maybe she was hoping to get everything once they died. Hot down. He could talk to her, invite her confidences. His gaze rested on the computer across the room. If he was lucky , her business accounts were on that little baby, as well as her personal finances . He could do it while she worked at the bookstore, blissfully ignorant of his machinations. He could even snoop through her personal belongings.
A chuckle escaped him. If he believed in God, he'd thank HIm for the golden opportunity. Since Mayo had learned to believe only himself after the showdown with his father fifteen years ago, he will simply follow his instincts to find out exactly what Aina had done to cause the old man to make her the beneficiary of such a large sum.
It might be fun.
On the heels of that unkind thought came the image of her tear ravaged face.the woman had been stricken by the vents of the morning. Kayode was right on that, she really looked like a hardworking women. Her brown eyes had been filled with such terror it effected even him.
But hell, she could be a loving mother and manipulative bitch at the same time. He'd known women with more conflicting traits. He closed his eyes to stop seeing the room that had been his as a child. He'd slept in this very sleigh bed on the nights and weekends he'd stayed with his aunts. It was no use . The yellow wallpaper had faded, but all the furniture was the same . One wall still sported shelves of his football trophies and his Saheed Osupa. He wondered idly what had happened to his books. The irony of recuperating here now didn't escape him.

TBC.....
Friends the interaction has been slow. Is the story progressing the way you want it?

(1) (Reply)

I Asked An A.I To Tell Me A Scary Story And This Is What I Got / A Selection Of Notable Nigerian Books To Read / Love Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.