Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? (2706 Views)

My Neighbour In COMA After UBA Crash In Port Harcourt / Paradise Payment Crashes...how True Is This? / Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by christaddicted: 5:17pm On Feb 26, 2015
A woman who rushed to her bank(UBA precisely) this afternoon to transfer all her money & close up the account just told me that. I learnt an insider got her informed.

Please NL how true is it? Anyone please?
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by goldman777: 5:22pm On Feb 26, 2015
christaddicted:
A woman who rushed to her bank(UBA precisely) this afternoon to transfer all her money & close up the account just told me that. I learnt an insider got her informed.

Please NL how true is it? Anyone please?

why didnt you ask d woman her source of information
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by christaddicted: 5:24pm On Feb 26, 2015
goldman777:

why didnt you ask d woman her source of information

She said an insider told her. And that's why I brought it here

I pray it's a FAT lie.

1 Like

Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by goldman777: 5:27pm On Feb 26, 2015
christaddicted:

She said an insider told her

inside every information there is an atom of truth i dont have any uba accounts

1 Like

Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by christaddicted: 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2015
goldman777:

inside every information there is an atom of truth i dont have any uba accounts

Good thing I was able to reach a lady after so many trials who works with UBA's regional HQ in the east.
She said IT'S NOT TRUE.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by onatisi(m): 5:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
christaddicted:

She said an insider told her. And that's why I brought it here

I pray it's a FAT lie.
it is infact the fattest lie. There is no way uba will fold up. Just relax ur mind .

1 Like

Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by christaddicted: 5:45pm On Feb 26, 2015
onatisi:
it is infact the fattest lie. There is no way uba will fold up. Just relax ur mind .

Yeah thanks ma bro.. UBA is too big to fold. Her sisters; FirstBank, UnionBank can't fold too.

1 Like

Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 26, 2015
if its true, then this is bad
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by Vision4God: 6:12pm On Feb 26, 2015
It may & may not b true. Be on d safer side
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by onatisi(m): 6:18pm On Feb 26, 2015
Vision4God:
It may & may not b true. Be on d safer side
bros forget,it isn't possible. It is like saying barclays or lloyds bank will fold up.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by psucc(m): 6:18pm On Feb 26, 2015
UBA is one of the few banks that is sound. Except its owners are ready to bolt away with peoples money then . . .
But am still doubting.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by richieray04: 6:37am On Feb 27, 2015
UBA FOLD UP KE.....IF I HEAR!!!! THE BANK RECEIVED SEVERAL INTERNATIONAL AWARDS BETWEEN LATE LAST YEAR AND EARLY THIS YEAR FROM REPUTABLE RATING AGENCIES....AN INSTITUTION ABOUT TO FOLD UP DOESN'T GET SUCH RECOGNITION. PLS GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT AND DON'T MISLEAD PEOPLE OOO
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by richieray04: 6:47am On Feb 27, 2015
UBA Wins 5 Awards, Dominates at Annual Banker Awards in London

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, one of Africa’s largest financial services institutions, swept the global banking awards in London Thursday, winning in five categories to become one of the highest single winning bank brands ‎ at this year’s awards.

During the event, organized annually by The Banker magazine, UBA was voted ‘Bank of the Year in Africa’ for 2014, trumping others to win the highly coveted award for pan-African bank brands. This is the second time in three years that UBA Plc has won the prestigious award; the first time was in 2012. Four country subsidiaries of UBA Group in Sierra Leone, Gabon, Senegal and Cote D’Ivoire also won “Bank of the Year” for their respective countries, reflecting a brand excellence that cuts across national bounds and pervades the continent. UBA Senegal won the award for the third consecutive year, having won in 2012 and 2013.

Group Managing Director/CEO for UBA Plc, Phillips Oduoza, said, “winning this award twice in three years is a recognition of our commitment to delivering excellence and our consistent achievement of that goal. We remain focused on the realization of our strategic intent of becoming “Africa’s Global Bank” and continue to explore opportunities in markets and sectors across the continent that will enable us achieve this intent,” said Mr. Oduoza.

A publication of the Financial Times newspaper, The Banker is a global financial intelligence magazine that provides global bank ratings and analyses and is the definitive reference on international banking for high level decision makers globally. According to the magazine, the aim of the award ceremony “is to highlight industry wide excellence within the global banking community.”

One winning bank is selected from participating banks in each of the 120 countries from which entries are received for the competition.

Associate Publisher of the magazine, Philip Church, stressed that UBA’s performance at the awards is a testimony to the trust the bank’s clients have placed on the bank and its operations over the year. “Being named as Bank of the Year in your own country by the world’s longest running international banking title is testament to the strong management, sound business model and prudent risk approach of your bank” said Mr. Church.

Only last September, UBA won ‘Best Transaction Bank from Africa’. The award which focuses on transaction banking does not only recognizes banks that have made improvements to their investments in technology, but more importantly how these improvements are of real use to the bank's customers, noted Jane Cooper, Transaction Banking Editor at The Banker.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by ADEKITA: 6:51am On Feb 27, 2015
I think it’s quite unfair to make comments that undermine a corporate brand that is a custodian to people’s means of livelihood, which is borne out falsehood and deceit by naysayers. UBA is about the strongest bank there is in Africa that offers premium service to its customers all the time and is not folding up after being existent in 18 countries and in Diaspora.

3 Likes

Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by TenaciousSSS: 7:01am On Feb 27, 2015
Please my people, UBA no dey close up o. I beg which Old generation bank una hear say close up. The person wey give that information nah big fat lie. UBA nah one of the strongest banks wey we get for Nigeria. Bank wey wan close no dey get presence for 18 countries and no b just presence but strong presence. Please make we no dey spread unnecessary rumours. D bank dey GIDIGBA no shaking.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by richieray04: 7:04am On Feb 27, 2015
true talk......Our people should be guided! we cannot go on social media to make unverifiable comments just because its a free space....thereby introducing panick into some people...not fair at all.
ADEKITA:
I think it’s quite unfair to make comments that undermine a corporate brand that is a custodian to people’s means of livelihood, which is borne out falsehood and deceit by naysayers. UBA is about the strongest bank there is in Africa that offers premium service to its customers all the time and is not folding up after being existent in 18 countries and in Diaspora.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by richieray04: 7:06am On Feb 27, 2015
[b]UBA ISN'T CALLED "WISE PEOPLE'S BANK" FOR NOTHING....
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by Kwekwu: 12:06pm On Feb 27, 2015
10 things you should know about UBA and why it will never fold up

1. In November of 2013, when Sanusi was still CBN governor, he named 8 banks that he called Systemically Important Banks (SIBs) that cannot and will not be allowed to fail. One of the banks was United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc. Thisday wrote the story and you can read it hear…http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/eight-systemically-important-banks-to-raise-liquidity-ratio-to-35-/164297/

2. One of the key indices was that all systemically important banks (SIBs) should have a minimum liquidity ratio of 35%. This means that the banks should have enough money to meet 35% of all their immediate liabilities. As at the time CBN made that requirement for SIBs, UBA’s liquidity ratio was in excess 60%. See the story here…http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/uba-maintains-60-liquidity-ratio/164639/. UBA still remains one of the most liquid banks in the Nigerian banking industry and a net placer of funds in the interbank market.

3. Capital adequacy ratio is another key index to measure the health of banks. This usually shows the capacity of a financial institution to withstand difficult times. The CBN recommends that banks have a minimum of 12% capital adequacy ratio. UBA’s capital adequacy is 19.9% based on its 3rd quarter result as September 2014. This is one of the highest in the Nigerian banking industry and well above the minimum required by the CBN.

4. Deposits. The amount of deposits a bank mobilizes is a good indication of the confidence of the banking public in that institution. UBA total deposits stands in excess of N2 trillion, almost halve of Nigeria’s annual budget and one of the highest in the Nigerian banking industry.

5. A bank’s capacity to support the economy is also a major indicator of how strong the bank is. UBA’s is involved in almost every single big ticket transaction that takes place in Nigeria. If a big ticket transaction is to be executed in Nigeria, UBA is always involved because of its financial and human capacity to handle such big ticket transactions. If you want to read some of the big deals that UBA has been involved in the past, read it here... http://blog.ubagroup.com/2013/12/how-uba-shows-market-dominance-with-big.html

6. UBA is not just a Nigerian bank. It has been around for more than 65 years and has operations in 18 other African countries. The bank also has operating offices in New York, Paris and UK, the only Nigerian owned bank to operate across all these territories. This also means that UBA is subjected to a higher regulatory standard than all other Nigerian banks. UBA therefore ensures that its corporate governance and risk management practices are in line with the best globally.

7. UBA remains a highly profitable financial institution. In its third quarter results ended 30th September 2014, the bank announced a profit before tax of N43 billion, and gross earnings of N210 billion with total assets in excess of N2.65 trillion. It remains one of the largest financial institutions to come out of Africa.

8. UBA board is chaired by Mr. Tony O. Elumelu, a known serial and very successful entrepreneur who is known to have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian banking industry. Mr. Elumelu is known to be one of whizkids that changed the trajectory of banking in Nigeria and is now a globally recognized entrepreneur with investments across the globe in power, oil and gas, finance, agriculture and many other sectors. The board also has many tested hands and credible personalities with great understanding of the Nigerian banking industry. For profiles of UBA board members and management read.. https://www.ubagroup.com/mc/bios

9. UBA and its African subsidiaries have earned several global recognitions and awards in different aspects of its banking operations. UBA last year won five awards at the annual The Banker Awards in London. You can read more about it here.... http://leadership.ng/business/392049/uba-wins-5-awards-london-annual-banker-awards. UBA also recently dominated MasterCard awards. For more about this read it here...http://leadership.ng/business/413571/uba-wins-big-at-mastercard-cashless-champions-awards

10. UBA through the UBA Foundation is a strong supporter of the communities in which it has operations. UBA played a key role in helping stem the spread of Ebola in West Africa through the donation of both cash and materials to affected countries. For more about this read it here……http://www.csrinaction.org/index.php/resources/news-press-realeases/item/397-uba-donates-1million-to-fight-ebola-in-west-africa. UBA also actively supports education in Africa through the National Essay Competition for Secondary schools organized in Ghana, Senegal and Nigeria and the Read Africa Initiative which encourages African students to form a reading habit. Read more about it here…http://www.punchng.com/education/girl-15-wins-uba-foundation-essay-competition/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by Ijebulogic(m): 4:00pm On Feb 27, 2015
This is just Irresponsible by the OP. Threads like this should just be closed. Thousands of people are invested in the Bank and thousands are employed by it. Lets not destroy people - there is already too much wahala in the country.
Re: I Learnt UBA Is About To Fold-Plz How True NL? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 27, 2015
richieray04:

UBA Wins 5 Awards, Dominates at Annual Banker Awards in London

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, one of Africa’s largest financial services institutions, swept the global banking awards in London Thursday, winning in five categories to become one of the highest single winning bank brands ‎ at this year’s awards.

During the event, organized annually by The Banker magazine, UBA was voted ‘Bank of the Year in Africa’ for 2014, trumping others to win the highly coveted award for pan-African bank brands. This is the second time in three years that UBA Plc has won the prestigious award; the first time was in 2012. Four country subsidiaries of UBA Group in Sierra Leone, Gabon, Senegal and Cote D’Ivoire also won “Bank of the Year” for their respective countries, reflecting a brand excellence that cuts across national bounds and pervades the continent. UBA Senegal won the award for the third consecutive year, having won in 2012 and 2013.

Group Managing Director/CEO for UBA Plc, Phillips Oduoza, said, “winning this award twice in three years is a recognition of our commitment to delivering excellence and our consistent achievement of that goal. We remain focused on the realization of our strategic intent of becoming “Africa’s Global Bank” and continue to explore opportunities in markets and sectors across the continent that will enable us achieve this intent,” said Mr. Oduoza.

A publication of the Financial Times newspaper, The Banker is a global financial intelligence magazine that provides global bank ratings and analyses and is the definitive reference on international banking for high level decision makers globally. According to the magazine, the aim of the award ceremony “is to highlight industry wide excellence within the global banking community.”

One winning bank is selected from participating banks in each of the 120 countries from which entries are received for the competition.

Associate Publisher of the magazine, Philip Church, stressed that UBA’s performance at the awards is a testimony to the trust the bank’s clients have placed on the bank and its operations over the year. “Being named as Bank of the Year in your own country by the world’s longest running international banking title is testament to the strong management, sound business model and prudent risk approach of your bank” said Mr. Church.

Only last September, UBA won ‘Best Transaction Bank from Africa’. The award which focuses on transaction banking does not only recognizes banks that have made improvements to their investments in technology, but more importantly how these improvements are of real use to the bank's customers, noted Jane Cooper, Transaction Banking Editor at The Banker.

guy, 4get all these awards. Each time i hear bank awards, oceanic and intercontinental bank comes to mind. oceanic won several awards till d day it was liquidated and swallowed.

several bad deals can make a bank make so much provision and get kleg. Any bank dt is highly exposed to power and oil currently shld be having kleg, however, UBA is not so.exposed there.
Wit CBN remita, any bank that is exposed to public sector funds wont have float from them again.
Are you aware that many banks borrowed 5years euro bond in foreign currency last year? what do u think shld be the effects on banks?

@kwekwu and richie, it seems u are UBA employees. All bank employees should be concerned now. Situation is bad !

@OP, no commercial bank is folding up at d moment.UBA is still meeting up wit their obligations at the interbank.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Which PFA Would You Recommend As The Best? / The Metaverse Investors Thread / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.